Very Impressive Dermarolling And Minxodil Results - From Tressless

Eazy12

Established Member
Reaction score
Apologies if this has already been discussed but thinking about it if one of the main reasons that the scalp gets blocked with calcium and means that blood can’t get to the follicle, why would transplanted hair work?
Because all this fibrosis crunching nonsense is 100% speculation and broscience

ryan r

Established Member
Reaction score
Inflammation on my scalp seems to have reduced drastically...Don't know if its the needling or because of my minoxidil switch...but I absolutely love it! 2 more days till my next session...

Last edited:

Scootz

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
About to embark on microneedle session numbero dos today. I was weirdly looking forward to it this whole week o_O

Bankai

My Regimen
Reaction score
Well here is my "progress". I think nothing happend since I started the end of november. Of course I did not expect something to happen in this short amount of time. I use a Dermapen at 1.5mm and rosemary oil. I'm an NW3.5 and started losing hair about 3 years ago. What confuses me are the tiny little vellus hairs in both temples, but I think they are just leftovers from my receding hairline. However I'll keep an eye on them.

Attachments

• HL3.jpg
    HL3.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 621

Bankai

My Regimen
Reaction score
And did you maintain?

I can't tell yet, and I'm not even sure about the shedding, since I have to wash my hair 2 times a day to wash out the oil. When I try to pull out some hair with my hands I think it's less than before, but it could be the shower which washes out the loose hairs.

ToLGuy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Because all this fibrosis crunching nonsense is 100% speculation and broscience
Really? I thought there was some evidence hinting that fibrosis was an outcome of the inflammation of DHT. Can anyone confirm this with some papers? Is this really just an untested hypothesis?

Arrade

My Regimen
Reaction score
Really? I thought there was some evidence hinting that fibrosis was an outcome of the inflammation of DHT. Can anyone confirm this with some papers? Is this really just an untested hypothesis?
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16755026
"Androgenetic alopecia (Androgenetic Alopecia) is a dihydrotestosterone (DHT)-mediated process, characterized by continuous miniaturization of androgen reactive hair follicles and accompanied by perifollicular fibrosis of follicular units in histological examination. "
They say T induces TGF-Beta1 for fibrosis, but it's more likely T --> DHT = fibrosis

layabout

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
my hair is thick as f***

I ascended and now have a fullhead again with thick density

Now that I accomplished what I wanted, time to drop microneedling and stop minoxidil

Bill_Russo

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Not sure if talking about the forum or about needling.

In the latter case we would like to hear some specifics ;)
The forum! Session 2 is in two days, so way too early to tell.

Gotta love how, when presented with the fibrosis/calcification theory or something similar, some people in this forum either tell you that:
1.- It's broscience but I won't tell you why or present anything refuting it. Muh DHT.
2.- And when they do, it's the bullshit *** straw man argument of "they transplanted a balding hair into a forearm and it continued to miniaturize".

Yeah, yeah, we get it. You gotta address DHT, we all know that.

And sure, balding hairs were transplanted into a forearm and continued to miniaturize at the same rate. But recent research suggest that doing this with full hair follicle units does effect their survival rate. In other words, follicles can be affected by their sorroundings.

The study: https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdf/10.1111/j.1524-4725.1997.tb00411.x

Also, it might be worth noting that not even f*****g researchers have refuted all questions regarding the scalp environment and such affecting hair growth, so I doubt some random dude on this clusterfuck of a forum can.

Last edited:

layabout

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The forum! Session 2 is in two days, so way too early to tell.

Gotta love how, when presented with the fibrosis/calcification theory or something similar, some people in this forum either tell you that:
1.- It's broscience but I won't tell you why or present anything refuting it. Muh DHT.
2.- And when they do, it's the bullshit *** straw man argument of "they transplanted a balding hair into a forearm and it continued to miniaturize".

Yeah, yeah, we get it. You gotta address DHT, we all know that.

And sure, balding hairs were transplanted into a forearm and continued to miniaturize at the same rate. But recent research suggest that doing this with full hair follicle units does effect their survival rate. In other words, follicles can be affected by their sorroundings.

The study: https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdf/10.1111/j.1524-4725.1997.tb00411.x

Also, it might be worth noting that not even f*****g researchers have refuted all questions regarding the scalp environment and such affecting hair growth, so I doubt some random dude on this clusterfuck of a forum can.

137545.jpg

hairloss_user

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
So here's my plan. If everything except for my temples thicken up nicely in 9 months, I'll just get an fue for my hairline and temples (like 1000-1500 grafts) and then hope I can maintain by microneedling alone.

rizaster

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi, long time lurker on this thread, very interesting.

TLDR: I think the key, from a practical perspective to reverse Androgenetic Alopecia is getting ahead of the rate at which fibrosis is accumulating

Here is my perspective, based on what I have learned thus far from various posts and my own experience/research. I believe the current most popular theory regarding Androgenetic Alopecia is correct: androgen receptors in the follicles are sensitive to DHT, which leads to inflammation, which leads to fibrosis, and thus continuous miniaturization of the of the hair follicles. After reading up more on the effects of needling, i feel it provides more evidence for this popular theory of Androgenetic Alopecia.

So in medicine, there is treating the disease, and treating the symptoms. Applying this analogy to Androgenetic Alopecia, I believe treating the "disease" would be either 1) finding a way to make your androgen receptors less sensitive to DHT (which I don't think exists), or replacing the hair follicles all together with a hair transplant.

As I mentioned above, I am more convinced now based on what I have learned about microneedling that the combination of minoxidil, finasteride, and microneedling is an effective treatment to handle the symptoms of the disease, depending on how far you have progressed. They all work in 3 different ways to reduce or halt fibrosis accumulation. Ultimately, if fibrosis accumulation can be decreased, I believe hair loss can be reversed. The key here, I think is the extent to which fibrosis has accumulated. This is why, treatments of minoxdile and finasteride are more effective in early on hairloss, rather than late hair loss. Both minoxidil and finasteride impact the rate at which fibrosis accumulates. Minixodil does this by increasing blood flow (a lack of blood flow results in fibrosis), finasteride does this by decreasing dht, thereby decreasing rate of fibrosis accumulation as well. However, keep in mind, your androgen receptors are still sensitive to dht, and since dht isnt completely halted, you are still accumulated fibrosis

I think my own example demonstrates this fairly well, which I believe many others have experienced. Like many others, I got on finasteride and minoxidil at my second shed of of noticeable hair loss. my hair regrew fully within a few months, and this was because my fibrosis had not accumulated as much. As time went on, however, my hairloss came back again, but its very slow. Ive been losing hair for the last 7 years, diffuse, but i still have quite a bit left. I have no doubt that it would have been much quicker hair loss, had i not been on minoxidil and finasteride.

Often times, it is thought that hairloss progresses because the treatment is just less effective over time.
I do not think this is the case. Rather, its simply because fibrosis as accumualted to such an extent, making it less effective. So if there is a mechanism to break down the fibrosis (e.g., microneedling), minoxidil and finasteride will remain just as "effective".

So where does microneedling come into play. Well i think, microneedling not only physically breaks down the fibrosis, it also increases the blood flow, which also breaks down the fibrosis. This is why i think these studies that have groups with minoxidil and microneedling see a synergistc effect. This is also why i think we see hair growth in reverse and for the areas that have tons of fibrosis accumulation, why it will take quite some time to see improvement, for three reasons : 1) you are still following the 3 -6 month shedding cycle, 2) every shedding cycle will result in a hair that is slightly thicker, just as it took multipel shedding cycles for it to miniaturized.3) most importantly, two repairs need to take place. The first is the fibrosis, the second is the recreation of your arterial network that feeds the follicles. I dont think the latter can happen until some degree of the skin is re ecoveree from the fibrosis

However, I also think that halting microneedling will result in the accumulation of fibrosis again, so this is why i still think this is still treating the symptom rather the disease, but still a good treatment nonetheless.

As for me, I started needling a month ago, and I am experiencing everything as others have posted. My scalp feels great, my hair looks soo much healthier and i think these are the effects of the increased blood flow. My scalp also was in a constant inflammatory state (burning sensation), especially around the times when my shedding increased, this has also decreased. So i will certainly post updated pics at the 3 month mark.

Last edited:

ToLGuy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi, long time lurker on this thread, very interesting.

TLDR: I think the key, from a practical perspective to reverse Androgenetic Alopecia is getting ahead of the rate at which fibrosis is accumulating

Here is my perspective, based on what I have learned thus far. I believe the current most popular theory regarding Androgenetic Alopecia is correct: androgen receptors in the follicles are sensitive to DHT, which leads to inflammation, which leads to fibrosis, and thus continuous miniaturization of the of the hair follicles. After reading up more on the effects of needling, i feel it provides more evidence for this popular theory of Androgenetic Alopecia.

So in medicine, there is treating the disease, and treating the symptoms. Applying this analogy to Androgenetic Alopecia, I believe treating the "disease" would be either 1) finding a way to make your androgen receptors less sensitive to DHT (which I don't think exists), or replacing the hair follicles all together with a hair transplant.

As I mentioned above, I am more convinced now based on what I have learned about microneedling that the combination of minoxidil, finasteride, and microneedling is an effective treatment to handle the symptoms of the disease, depending on how far you have progressed. They all work in 3 different ways to reduce or halt fibrosis accumulation. Ultimately, if fibrosis accumulation can be decreased, I believe hair loss can be reversed. The key here, I think is the extent to which fibrosis has accumulated. This is why, treatments of minoxdile and finasteride are more effective in early on hairloss, rather than late hair loss. Both minoxidil and finasteride impact the rate at which fibrosis accumulates. Minixodil does this by increasing blood flow (a lack of blood flow results in fibrosis), finasteride does this by decreasing dht, thereby decreasing rate of fibrosis accumulation as well. However, keep in mind, your androgen receptors are still sensitive to dht, and since dht isnt completely halted, you are still accumulated fibrosis

I think my own example demonstrates this fairly well, which I believe many others have experienced. Like many others, I got on finasteride and minoxidil at my second shed of of noticeable hair loss. my hair regrew fully within a few months, and this was because my fibrosis had not accumulated as much. As time went on, however, my hairloss came back again, but its very slow. Ive been losing hair for the last 7 years, diffuse, but i still have quite a bit left. I have no doubt that it would have been much quicker hair loss, had i not been on minoxidil and finasteride.

Often times, it is thought that hairloss progresses because the treatment is just less effective over time.
I do not think this is the case. Rather, its simply because fibrosis as accumualted to such an extent, making it less effective. So if there is a mechanism to break down the fibrosis (e.g., microneedling), minoxidil and finasteride will remain just as "effective".

So where does microneedling come into play. Well i think, microneedling not only physically breaks down the fibrosis, it also increases the blood flow, which also breaks down the fibrosis. This is why i think these studies that have groups with minoxidil and microneedling see a synergistc effect. This is also why i think we see hair growth in reverse and for the areas that have tons of fibrosis accumulation, why it will take quite some time to see improvement, for two reasons : 1) you are still following the 3 -6 month shedding cycle, 2) every shedding cycle will result in a hair that is slightly thicker, just as it took multipel shedding cycles for it to miniaturized.

However, I also think that halting microneedling will result in the accumulation of fibrosis again, so this is why i still think this is still treating the symptom rather the disease, but still a good treatment nonetheless.

As for me, I started needling a month ago, and I am experiencing everything as others have posted. My scalp feels great, my hair looks soo much healthier and i think these are the effects of the increased blood flow. My scalp also was in a constant inflammatory state (burning sensation), especially around the times when my shedding increased, this has also decreased. So i will certainly post updated pics at the 3 month mark.
Although all of these ideas have already been stated by other members in this forums (in this and other threads), this is an awesome post and a great summary. Nice way to start in the online hairloss community. Welcome my friend, and best of luck with the beginning of the needling journey.

rizaster

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Although all of these ideas have already been stated by other members in this forums (in this and other threads), this is an awesome post and a great summary. Nice way to start in the online hairloss community. Welcome my friend, and best of luck with the beginning of the needling journey.

Thanks! I really think the community is on to something here. I find it really interesting that a common theme we are finding is that people's scalp at the very least feel better and healthier despite even when there are no actual results. People feel optimistic within a few weeks of needling. And if you think about it, that is an actual a response from your body when your body is begining to recver from an illness. For example, when you are sick and are beginning to enter recovery, often times you feel better mood wise and jist healthier, despite still having symptoms of the illness.

rizaster

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
One of the main response of microneedling is inflammation itself so that's bro science, especially if a person is needling every week. There isn't enough scientific evidence to make conclusive statements on that. The only two things proven conclusively by multiple studies over a long period of time are re-vascularization and all the good things released during the healing process. They haven't even proven the fibrosis theory enough.

This is what fibrosing hairloss looks like.

View attachment 109799

It is predominantly found in women. It often leads to permanent balding. The studies so far say it could be related to hormones and immune system response. 30 percent of people with fibrosis related hairloss had some form of autoimmune disease. It is scarring alopecia where hair follicles are lost and therefore do not grow back.

There wouldn't be as much regrowth as we are seeing with people trying needling if the fibrosis theory is true.

There are different types of inflammation. The inflammation you have from an injury is not the same inflammation as perifollicular inflammation. At this point, it is more widely accepted that inflammation from Androgenetic Alopecia leads to fibrosis. Additionally, There are many types of fibrosis, that have vastly different mechanisms. Fibrosis is a general term referring to excessive fibrous tissue. How it get theres and at what level varies.

Here are some referrences:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/16755026/

https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-3-642-02636-2_3

Theoretical model, but good info:
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0306987717310411

rizaster

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Another result from tressless that used microneedling. This person says microneedling was not responsible for his gains but he did do it in the beginning of the treatment.

Finasteride 1x, every day for a year

Nizoral 1-2x a week for a year

Minoxidil 2x a day for about 7months

Dutasteride 2x a week, Wednesday and Sunday, started 3 weeks ago.

Dermaroll: I did this a lot initially but found it did not benefit me personally (not to say it does not work) so I no longer do this.

His comment regarding microneedling:

I started with just Finasteride and Nizoral, then started derma rolled about about 1 month after. I dermarolled for about 3 months then stopped doing it regularly. And started Minoxidil start of summer 2018. (Not sure on exact dates).

I rolled for about, months once every two weeks. My hair was improving from finasteride and Nizoral. The derma roller part is more speculation, I personally don't believe it did anything and chalked it up to the finasteride, but in reality it could of.

View attachment 109800

I personally don't understand what he is trying to say because he is contradicting himself. I can't tell if he needled for one month or three months.

If he is using three different treatments at the same time, or even one after another, there is literally no way to conclude which treatment was the factor to regrowth as he is concluding.