Very Impressive Dermarolling And Minxodil Results - From Tressless

Ayr9

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi, long time lurker on this thread, very interesting.

TLDR: I think the key, from a practical perspective to reverse Androgenetic Alopecia is getting ahead of the rate at which fibrosis is accumulating

Here is my perspective, based on what I have learned thus far from various posts and my own experience/research. I believe the current most popular theory regarding Androgenetic Alopecia is correct: androgen receptors in the follicles are sensitive to DHT, which leads to inflammation, which leads to fibrosis, and thus continuous miniaturization of the of the hair follicles. After reading up more on the effects of needling, i feel it provides more evidence for this popular theory of Androgenetic Alopecia.

So in medicine, there is treating the disease, and treating the symptoms. Applying this analogy to Androgenetic Alopecia, I believe treating the "disease" would be either 1) finding a way to make your androgen receptors less sensitive to DHT (which I don't think exists), or replacing the hair follicles all together with a hair transplant.

As I mentioned above, I am more convinced now based on what I have learned about microneedling that the combination of minoxidil, finasteride, and microneedling is an effective treatment to handle the symptoms of the disease, depending on how far you have progressed. They all work in 3 different ways to reduce or halt fibrosis accumulation. Ultimately, if fibrosis accumulation can be decreased, I believe hair loss can be reversed. The key here, I think is the extent to which fibrosis has accumulated. This is why, treatments of minoxdile and finasteride are more effective in early on hairloss, rather than late hair loss. Both minoxidil and finasteride impact the rate at which fibrosis accumulates. Minixodil does this by increasing blood flow (a lack of blood flow results in fibrosis), finasteride does this by decreasing dht, thereby decreasing rate of fibrosis accumulation as well. However, keep in mind, your androgen receptors are still sensitive to dht, and since dht isnt completely halted, you are still accumulated fibrosis

I think my own example demonstrates this fairly well, which I believe many others have experienced. Like many others, I got on finasteride and minoxidil at my second shed of of noticeable hair loss. my hair regrew fully within a few months, and this was because my fibrosis had not accumulated as much. As time went on, however, my hairloss came back again, but its very slow. Ive been losing hair for the last 7 years, diffuse, but i still have quite a bit left. I have no doubt that it would have been much quicker hair loss, had i not been on minoxidil and finasteride.

Often times, it is thought that hairloss progresses because the treatment is just less effective over time.
I do not think this is the case. Rather, its simply because fibrosis as accumualted to such an extent, making it less effective. So if there is a mechanism to break down the fibrosis (e.g., microneedling), minoxidil and finasteride will remain just as "effective".

So where does microneedling come into play. Well i think, microneedling not only physically breaks down the fibrosis, it also increases the blood flow, which also breaks down the fibrosis. This is why i think these studies that have groups with minoxidil and microneedling see a synergistc effect. This is also why i think we see hair growth in reverse and for the areas that have tons of fibrosis accumulation, why it will take quite some time to see improvement, for three reasons : 1) you are still following the 3 -6 month shedding cycle, 2) every shedding cycle will result in a hair that is slightly thicker, just as it took multipel shedding cycles for it to miniaturized.3) most importantly, two repairs need to take place. The first is the fibrosis, the second is the recreation of your arterial network that feeds the follicles. I dont think the latter can happen until some degree of the skin is re ecoveree from the fibrosis

However, I also think that halting microneedling will result in the accumulation of fibrosis again, so this is why i still think this is still treating the symptom rather the disease, but still a good treatment nonetheless.

As for me, I started needling a month ago, and I am experiencing everything as others have posted. My scalp feels great, my hair looks soo much healthier and i think these are the effects of the increased blood flow. My scalp also was in a constant inflammatory state (burning sensation), especially around the times when my shedding increased, this has also decreased. So i will certainly post updated pics at the 3 month mark.
Thank You for such explanation.Many times I have posted this topics in different threads but got bashed hard by the dht police.
There is definitely fibrosis and calcification along with dht or else microneedling or even the ones which increases blood flow in the scalp wouldnt work...
But the problem is everyone wants instant solution(Me too:p) but reversing fibrosis and calcification and stopping the dht requires a lot of time to get that lost hair back..
There is a proverb that 'you can break somthing in 2sec but you need 20hrs to build that something'.
Same goes for hairloss and hair regrow,the hair you have lost 5yrs ago will not come back in a fraction of time..
Reversing fibrosis and calcification requires a good amount of time..
But blocking dht is just so eazy,pop a pill a day and voila dht is blocked.
Lucky ones enjoy hair and unlucky ones enjoy the sides:)

cbddreams

My Regimen
Reaction score
Is anyone micro needling + oral minoxidil instead of topical?

This maybe a dumb question but would this work the same for micro needling as minoxidil foam? Or should I continue using the foam also to directly attack the follicles at the depth I'm wounding to.

Bill_Russo

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

TLDR: I think the key, from a practical perspective to reverse Androgenetic Alopecia is getting ahead of the rate at which fibrosis is accumulating

Here is my perspective, based on what I have learned thus far from various posts and my own experience/research. I believe the current most popular theory regarding Androgenetic Alopecia is correct: androgen receptors in the follicles are sensitive to DHT, which leads to inflammation, which leads to fibrosis, and thus continuous miniaturization of the of the hair follicles. After reading up more on the effects of needling, i feel it provides more evidence for this popular theory of Androgenetic Alopecia.

So in medicine, there is treating the disease, and treating the symptoms. Applying this analogy to Androgenetic Alopecia, I believe treating the "disease" would be either 1) finding a way to make your androgen receptors less sensitive to DHT (which I don't think exists), or replacing the hair follicles all together with a hair transplant.

As I mentioned above, I am more convinced now based on what I have learned about microneedling that the combination of minoxidil, finasteride, and microneedling is an effective treatment to handle the symptoms of the disease, depending on how far you have progressed. They all work in 3 different ways to reduce or halt fibrosis accumulation. Ultimately, if fibrosis accumulation can be decreased, I believe hair loss can be reversed. The key here, I think is the extent to which fibrosis has accumulated. This is why, treatments of minoxdile and finasteride are more effective in early on hairloss, rather than late hair loss. Both minoxidil and finasteride impact the rate at which fibrosis accumulates. Minixodil does this by increasing blood flow (a lack of blood flow results in fibrosis), finasteride does this by decreasing dht, thereby decreasing rate of fibrosis accumulation as well. However, keep in mind, your androgen receptors are still sensitive to dht, and since dht isnt completely halted, you are still accumulated fibrosis

I think my own example demonstrates this fairly well, which I believe many others have experienced. Like many others, I got on finasteride and minoxidil at my second shed of of noticeable hair loss. my hair regrew fully within a few months, and this was because my fibrosis had not accumulated as much. As time went on, however, my hairloss came back again, but its very slow. Ive been losing hair for the last 7 years, diffuse, but i still have quite a bit left. I have no doubt that it would have been much quicker hair loss, had i not been on minoxidil and finasteride.

Often times, it is thought that hairloss progresses because the treatment is just less effective over time.
I do not think this is the case. Rather, its simply because fibrosis as accumualted to such an extent, making it less effective. So if there is a mechanism to break down the fibrosis (e.g., microneedling), minoxidil and finasteride will remain just as "effective".

So where does microneedling come into play. Well i think, microneedling not only physically breaks down the fibrosis, it also increases the blood flow, which also breaks down the fibrosis. This is why i think these studies that have groups with minoxidil and microneedling see a synergistc effect. This is also why i think we see hair growth in reverse and for the areas that have tons of fibrosis accumulation, why it will take quite some time to see improvement, for three reasons : 1) you are still following the 3 -6 month shedding cycle, 2) every shedding cycle will result in a hair that is slightly thicker, just as it took multipel shedding cycles for it to miniaturized.3) most importantly, two repairs need to take place. The first is the fibrosis, the second is the recreation of your arterial network that feeds the follicles. I dont think the latter can happen until some degree of the skin is re ecoveree from the fibrosis

However, I also think that halting microneedling will result in the accumulation of fibrosis again, so this is why i still think this is still treating the symptom rather the disease, but still a good treatment nonetheless.

As for me, I started needling a month ago, and I am experiencing everything as others have posted. My scalp feels great, my hair looks soo much healthier and i think these are the effects of the increased blood flow. My scalp also was in a constant inflammatory state (burning sensation), especially around the times when my shedding increased, this has also decreased. So i will certainly post updated pics at the 3 month mark.
Hey, man.
Great summary. Happy to hear microneedling is helping you!
I hope more users like you come around. They are needed.

On a side note, my hair looks and feels f*****g great. For the last couple years or so, I have dreaded looking at it in the mirror after waking up because it looked like complete and utter greasy dogshit. Also, it felt like I was running my fingers through f*****g straw.
This is no longer the case. The shadow of what it used to be is becoming clearer. If only I can get down those ~2-3 cm of hairline recession... But that might be tougher since it was the first one to go.

So close and yet so far from Heaven. f*****g ***.

Wergi

My Regimen
Reaction score
There are different types of inflammation. The inflammation you have from an injury is not the same inflammation as perifollicular inflammation. At this point, it is more widely accepted that inflammation from Androgenetic Alopecia leads to fibrosis. Additionally, There are many types of fibrosis, that have vastly different mechanisms. Fibrosis is a general term referring to excessive fibrous tissue. How it get theres and at what level varies.

Here are some referrences:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/16755026/

https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-3-642-02636-2_3

Theoretical model, but good info:
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0306987717310411

True. I personally believe that acute inflammation helps with chronic inflammation.

PicInflammation.png

To anyone determined enough here's full article:

https://www.researchgate.net/profil.../Cytokines-acute-and-chronic-inflammation.pdf

Wergi

My Regimen
Reaction score
my hair is thick as f***

I ascended and now have a fullhead again with thick density

Now that I accomplished what I wanted, time to drop microneedling and stop minoxidil

Brave man. Keep us updated whether you notice any thinning/shedding.

BigOl'BaldingHead

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Random question but I was wondering how many spare needles you get when buying the Derminator 2? Since their needles are quite expensive.

kiwi666

My Regimen
Reaction score

Now that’s what I call an intro!

kiwi666

My Regimen
Reaction score
Captain's Log, Session 7 @ 1.75mm.

The USS Enterprise (me) just wrapped up my 7th derminator session.

Today we discovered that it is possible to not attach a cartridge correctly in such a way that the needles to not come out properly. I resolved this by when I realised this was happening I took it off, put it back on, and it worked again.

How’d I notice? I wasn’t hurting as much.

In other news. My parter reckons my crown is thickening. I was at the hairdressers last week and could see my crown in another mirror and it didn’t look as bad as the last time (say 8 weeks ago).

In the words of Arnie... I’ll stamp again!

luen12

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello guys,

I‘ve been a lurker for some time and I wanted to thank you all for sharing your experiences and spreading some hope for us all. So, therefore I also want to share my experience:
I started needling at the end of November 2018 using a 1,5mm Dermapen (not a Derminator as it is currently too expensive for me), which makes 4 sessions until now. I only needle twice a month, because I have a light complexion and my skin is red for at least 3 days after each session, so I am trying to do it as rarely as possible.
I also started ru58841 two weeks before needling. So instead of minoxidil, I apply 1,7ml of 3% ru in neogenic every evening. (not after needling, because I dont want to get too much of the ru in my bloodstream) On needling nights I apply Castor oil instead. Since I havent seen a lot of other guys using these topicals while needling, I thought it might be interesting for you.
I am too afraid to go without any antiandrogen, and I only started ru instead of finasteride, because it will be replaceable by the safe Breezula in the (hopefully near) future.
I also consider starting minoxidil, but I am not sure yet. I used Minoxidil at the end of 2017 for 3 months. After I stopped, I had a huge shed, went below baseline and never really recovered from it, which was really traumatic for me. But maybe after reading/having read a lot of positive stories of you using minoxidil, I am going to start using it again. Also I am considering oral castor oil every day, but I haven‘t started yet.
It might be too early to tell, but it seems that I have slightly less shedding as well as some thickening of vellus/miniaturized hair (which I still have a lot around my hairline).
Once I can see real significant improvements, I will share my photos with you.

Again, thank you all very much! Let’s stay positive and motivated!

soull

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
A few minutes ago I did my second session with Dermapen,this time it has hurt me much less, head is red and verysmall stains with blood. I've been around 5 minutes all overmy crown with a 12-needle head at 1.5 mm.

I observed that having freshly wet hair is much better forslipping needles, I also observed traces of dead skin betweenthe needles that the previous time did not happen.

Attachments

• dermape.jpeg
    dermape.jpeg
    74.6 KB · Views: 396

Bill_Russo

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello guys,

I‘ve been a lurker for some time and I wanted to thank you all for sharing your experiences and spreading some hope for us all. So, therefore I also want to share my experience:
I started needling at the end of November 2018 using a 1,5mm Dermapen (not a Derminator as it is currently too expensive for me), which makes 4 sessions until now. I only needle twice a month, because I have a light complexion and my skin is red for at least 3 days after each session, so I am trying to do it as rarely as possible.
I also started ru58841 two weeks before needling. So instead of minoxidil, I apply 1,7ml of 3% ru in neogenic every evening. (not after needling, because I dont want to get too much of the ru in my bloodstream) On needling nights I apply Castor oil instead. Since I havent seen a lot of other guys using these topicals while needling, I thought it might be interesting for you.
I am too afraid to go without any antiandrogen, and I only started ru instead of finasteride, because it will be replaceable by the safe Breezula in the (hopefully near) future.
I also consider starting minoxidil, but I am not sure yet. I used Minoxidil at the end of 2017 for 3 months. After I stopped, I had a huge shed, went below baseline and never really recovered from it, which was really traumatic for me. But maybe after reading/having read a lot of positive stories of you using minoxidil, I am going to start using it again. Also I am considering oral castor oil every day, but I haven‘t started yet.
It might be too early to tell, but it seems that I have slightly less shedding as well as some thickening of vellus/miniaturized hair (which I still have a lot around my hairline).
Once I can see real significant improvements, I will share my photos with you.

Again, thank you all very much! Let’s stay positive and motivated!
Hey man!
Welcome to the thread. Good luck on your needling journey, hope you can see significant progress!

sportsguy97

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
My update - Hair continues to thicken all over after 6 weeks. If this continues i could have my original density back. Iḿ cautiously optimistic. I have diffuse thinning all over but didnt have a terrible starting point. I still continue with dermapen and minoxidil, nizoral once a week, also added scalp masage ( i like how it feels) One result i found searching through these forums was this guy. (didnt see it before). You can see it took him 6 months to get a very good result.

https://www.hairlosstalk.com/intera...months-very-good-results.119783/#post-1753356

I think we all have to be patient. I think the million dollar question is can we continue to compound on results we get as we go forward. You had people in the past that stuck with this long term and not only regrew hair, but maintained with just rolling.

The fibrosis DHT theories are interesting. However i am a believer what we are doing is breaking up the last part of the miniturization process. Thus allowing new growth. I will never use a dht inhibitor again, i think they are poison. Still hoping this allows people to not use them as well. It still hasnt been fully tested yet. We will see going forward.

I also believe we wont have to roll as frequently eventually just to maintain. Maybe 1-2 sessions a month. Whether minoxidil will still be necessary is another question. Again alot of variables, but so far there are good signs. Hopefully we all stick with it.

hairloss_user

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
My update - Hair continues to thicken all over after 6 weeks. If this continues i could have my original density back. Iḿ cautiously optimistic. I have diffuse thinning all over but didnt have a terrible starting point. I still continue with dermapen and minoxidil, nizoral once a week, also added scalp masage ( i like how it feels) One result i found searching through these forums was this guy. (didnt see it before). You can see it took him 6 months to get a very good result.

https://www.hairlosstalk.com/intera...months-very-good-results.119783/#post-1753356

I think we all have to be patient. I think the million dollar question is can we continue to compound on results we get as we go forward. You had people in the past that stuck with this long term and not only regrew hair, but maintained with just rolling.

The fibrosis DHT theories are interesting. However i am a believer what we are doing is breaking up the last part of the miniturization process. Thus allowing new growth. I will never use a dht inhibitor again, i think they are poison. Still hoping this allows people to not use them as well. It still hasnt been fully tested yet. We will see going forward.

I also believe we wont have to roll as frequently eventually just to maintain. Maybe 1-2 sessions a month. Whether minoxidil will still be necessary is another question. Again alot of variables, but so far there are good signs. Hopefully we all stick with it.

Got pics?

ToLGuy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Nice to hear about your success, pal. Remind me something, did you start minoxidil at the same time as needling?

sportsguy97

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
True. I personally believe that acute inflammation helps with chronic inflammation.

View attachment 109812

To anyone determined enough here's full article:

https://www.researchgate.net/profil.../Cytokines-acute-and-chronic-inflammation.pdf

Here's article from 2014 that explains connection between PB and inflammation in a more approachable way:

https://autoinflammatorydiseases.org/medicine/why-we-go-bald/

On the inflammation theories. I mentioned a month or so ago that i regularily practice intermittant fasting. Itś been known to help other people with acne and arthritis, both of with involved inflammation. Ive been doing it for years. Partially because i skip breakfast alot and it makes me feel healthier. Never know if it did anything for hair. However ive always thought it helps create a healthier scalp environment by reducing overall inflammation.

Interesting how wounding creates that acute response, and how its helpful.

Nice to hear about your success, pal. Remind me something, did you start minoxidil at the same time as needling?

Nope. I took finasteride originally for a year, got sides that persisted for a couple years. Had to stop and started minoxidil literally 7 years ago. It maintained i think. Once i started rolling things have jumped up.

I will definitely post pics down the line a couple of months in, like alot of other people plan on doing. For now i just wanted to share my results. Trying to be helpful to others.

luen12

My Regimen
Reaction score

Hey sportsguy, I think you may be right. I just read the conclusion in the Indian study by Dr. Rashita Dhurat, in which she describes the mechanisms of Dermaneedling. According to her the positive mechanisms are the release of platelet derived growth factor and other growth factors through platelet activation and wound regeneration, activation of stemcells, as well as overexpression of hair growth genes like wnt and more. So it seems to me that microneedling is in the end very similiar to PRP treatment, but better, because it is much cheaper and probably more effective because it is done a lot more frequently.
So maybe you‘re right and microneedling is the real deal and we wont need any other drugs to maintain (As soon as I experience side effects of antiandrogens, I will stop them immediately.)
My only concern about needling is that the stemcells might lose their effectiveness over time, after being overly activated by the needling, but I am certainly no expert regarding stemcells ;-) I guess we will have to figure that out.

@Bill_Russo Thanks again! I am particular interested in your experience, because you and only few others are the ones, that have the balls to try microneedling only. So thanks to you we will know how effective microneedling will be as a standalone treatment.

Btw, I don‘t know if it was already posted before, but I found out that Dr. Rashita Dhurat, is listed as clinical advisor of Follica, which is another positive sign, that needling might be the future for us. :)

Bill_Russo

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@Bill_Russo Thanks again! I am particular interested in your experience, because you and only few others are the ones, that have the balls to try microneedling only. So thanks to you we will know how effective microneedling will be as a standalone treatment.

Btw, I don‘t know if it was already posted before, but I found out that Dr. Rashita Dhurat, is listed as clinical advisor of Follica, which is another positive sign, that needling might be the future for us. :)
Yes! Haha, thank you.
I also wanna test how far mechanical manipulation only can get me. I got the time. My hair loss is so slow it's pitiful. I almost feel bad for needling the lovable f*** out of it.

Almost.

sportsguy97

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey sportsguy, I think you may be right. I just read the conclusion in the Indian study by Dr. Rashita Dhurat, in which she describes the mechanisms of Dermaneedling. According to her the positive mechanisms are the release of platelet derived growth factor and other growth factors through platelet activation and wound regeneration, activation of stemcells, as well as overexpression of hair growth genes like wnt and more. So it seems to me that microneedling is in the end very similiar to PRP treatment, but better, because it is much cheaper and probably more effective because it is done a lot more frequently.
So maybe you‘re right and microneedling is the real deal and we wont need any other drugs to maintain (As soon as I experience side effects of antiandrogens, I will stop them immediately.)
My only concern about needling is that the stemcells might lose their effectiveness over time, after being overly activated by the needling, but I am certainly no expert regarding stemcells ;-) I guess we will have to figure that out.

Yeah the stem cell things are interesting. When 2young was briefly here he made reference to the fact of not needling as much in warmer months and i think he maintained fine. Also i thought in one of the studies they stopped for months and still kept results. Although im not sure. The positive is the wound healing process continues for weeks. Right now we are wounding for growth. Maitenance may be less. It makes sense in a way.

Needling is definitely positive. Based on the studies, the results we are seeing. Plus the fact follica is doing something similar. However like anything there is still a long way to go. So may variables going forward.

bigjimmy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I noticed a new thick black hair sprouting from the shaft in my forelock, it now seems to have disappeared, do you think this may have shed and possibly come back to grow longer eventually?