NEW SK Update - Feb 17/2010

zb00st

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: SK - Nov 6, 1.2 yr short update! THX PROSCAR U SAVED MY LIFE

LOL, great results mate. Keep the regimen !
I have very similar hair and hairloss like yours. I started on the big 3 and hope for some results in the next 6 months :|

p.s: when do you take your proscar ? in the morning or nighttime ?

Flavio

Established Member
Reaction score

Amazing results! Congratulations, StrangeKarma!!

dab

Reaction score

Hi StrangeKarma (dig the name), and HairlossTalkers :)

Firstly congratulations on your progress man! I surely do hope you manage to keep it going for longer than your intended 1-2 years. I don't see why you couldn't as you seem to have proven your capable of responding? (sincerely best of luck)

I just joined up here and am planning on a photo/progress update thing myself, but I wanted to ask you a question. On the end of page 6, you reply to a user's regime querie, stating that you now take 5mg finasteride?

I have been trying to find any feedback/info on this (the 5mg amount) anywhere on the net, and as of yet, haven't.. it seems like this is a no-no, as there's no info, no one must be doing it? But it also seems to me to be a logical progressive step, unless everyone else knows it shrivels your prostate to a pea or something? Basically, do the con's really outweigh having hair? I don't know about you, but I'd cut my nuts off for awsome hair if I read enough damming new evidence to prove it works.

I upped the amount after 4 dismal months on 1mg finasteride, to 5mg myself for a month (about a month ago), but feared anything going wrong as I knew too little about it. But in that time.. my hair totally changed (was on the mend and my hat stayed at home!). Freakin awesome!! You know how with confidence though.. and trying to be sensible..!? So I went back down to 1mg, and the shed has left me worse than before the whole chemical experimental gone wrongal.. but kinda went right I guess as it was working.

I'm jabbering sorry. What's your take on the 5mg daily dose? What's anyone's take on the 5mg daily dose? Any side effects? Do you know of any warnings? And, at which point during your most enviable progress pictures, did you up from 1mg, to 5mg?

Thanks in advance for any help, and very glad to see someone on the other side! Cheers :)

monitoradiation

Established Member
Reaction score

All I have to say is that if you see results with 5mg, do 5mg.

Now, the thing that throws me off with your timeline was that you decided to up your dosage after 4 months (I'm assuming you went from 1 to 5mg). Considering that usually people advocate waiting for a year to see the full benefits of that drug at that specific dosage, I'm not sure if your subsequent gains were from the 1mg or the 5mg. There is a chart floating around this forum about the effects of finasteride dosage vs DHT; the general consensus is that finasteride is fairly dosage-independent after 1.25mg and certainly not that signficant after 1mg.

Therefore, purely going on what you described, you might just be experiencing a second shed.

I dont think anyone can know for sure; but if you dont experience side effects at 5mg, there's not much to stop you from going back on it, considering it's indicated for treating benign prostate hyperplaxia anyway.

Tyler_Durden

Established Member
Reaction score

dab said:
Hi StrangeKarma (dig the name), and HairlossTalkers :)

Firstly congratulations on your progress man! I surely do hope you manage to keep it going for longer than your intended 1-2 years. I don't see why you couldn't as you seem to have proven your capable of responding? (sincerely best of luck)

I just joined up here and am planning on a photo/progress update thing myself, but I wanted to ask you a question. On the end of page 6, you reply to a user's regime querie, stating that you now take 5mg finasteride?

I have been trying to find any feedback/info on this (the 5mg amount) anywhere on the net, and as of yet, haven't.. it seems like this is a no-no, as there's no info, no one must be doing it? But it also seems to me to be a logical progressive step, unless everyone else knows it shrivels your prostate to a pea or something? Basically, do the con's really outweigh having hair? I don't know about you, but I'd cut my nuts off for awsome hair if I read enough damming new evidence to prove it works.

I upped the amount after 4 dismal months on 1mg finasteride, to 5mg myself for a month (about a month ago), but feared anything going wrong as I knew too little about it. But in that time.. my hair totally changed (was on the mend and my hat stayed at home!). Freakin awesome!! You know how with confidence though.. and trying to be sensible..!? So I went back down to 1mg, and the shed has left me worse than before the whole chemical experimental gone wrongal.. but kinda went right I guess as it was working.

I'm jabbering sorry. What's your take on the 5mg daily dose? What's anyone's take on the 5mg daily dose? Any side effects? Do you know of any warnings? And, at which point during your most enviable progress pictures, did you up from 1mg, to 5mg?

Thanks in advance for any help, and very glad to see someone on the other side! Cheers :)

He said .5mg dude, not 5mg

I doubt you would have seen an instant change in the 1 month period where you went from 1mg to 5mg, hair growth and change is a gradual thing, I'd imagine yoou were probably just noticing the added effect of being on finasteride for 5 months.

As Monitor said and as that graph supports (I cbf'd finding it), there generally seems to be a pretty insignificant difference between taking 1mg v 5mg... It was something like, 1mg decreased 90% of DHT and 5mg decreased like 92% for example, so nothing major.
I'd say you will probably just end up wasting your money doing it that way, but still I would be interested in seeing if it had much of an effect.
As Monitor said, if it was working for you, roll with it. No need to fix what isn't broken.

dab

Reaction score

[/quote]

He said .5mg dude, not 5mg

I doubt you would have seen an instant change in the 1 month period where you went from 1mg to 5mg, hair growth and change is a gradual thing, I'd imagine yoou were probably just noticing the added effect of being on finasteride for 5 months.

As Monitor said and as that graph supports (I cbf'd finding it), there generally seems to be a pretty insignificant difference between taking 1mg v 5mg... It was something like, 1mg decreased 90% of DHT and 5mg decreased like 92% for example, so nothing major.
I'd say you will probably just end up wasting your money doing it that way, but still I would be interested in seeing if it had much of an effect.
As Monitor said, if it was working for you, roll with it. No need to fix what isn't broken.[/quote]

Hey thanks for the info.. I have since seen lots of similar evidence and I don't think it's worth it (5mg). Also, I'm hoping the regrowth had nothing to do w/ the extra mg's. I'm currently shedding like a rabid dog after being back on 1mg (from merck Proscar to cipla Finpecia) for around a month.. also added a load of herbals to the Big 3, so time will tell.. Cheers!

BoilerRoom

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: August 07- Feb 16, 08 - Results that I can't believe.....

StrangeKarma said:
squeegee said:
Just WOW! :punk: Kill the Norwood!! Keep up posting! We seem to loose all the guys with sucess!!

As for the minoxidil, yes I started again. I was worried it was causing circles under my eyes, and it seems like it sort of was, anyone got any really good remedies for that?

That's exactly what happened to me and then around 1 month into it, I had a full blown allergic reaction.

My eyes swelled up completely, as well as my EARS. It was the weirdest thing. It could of been something I ate, but it happened again shortly after I used rogaine foam again.

ryan r

Established Member
Reaction score

Amazing man,

I know how good it feels to regrow your hair and move away from that balding look, to where its hardly noticeable, I got the same thing! :punk: :punk: :punk: :punk:

And yes, THANK GOD for proscar and minoxidil, goodbye balding head, hellow ladies :hump:

eth0

Established Member
Reaction score

Where do you get your zinc suppliments from and how much do you take?

Cheers

Nashville Hairline

Experienced Member
Reaction score

This guy has convinced me to give minoxidil (specifically the foam) a try again

iwantperfection

Experienced Member
Reaction score

any chance of a photo update so we can see how your hair is holding out??

Thickandthin

Experienced Member
Reaction score

I'd say the title should be changed to "THX minoxidil U SAVED MY LIFE"

IMO when you've lost that much hair finasteride isn't regrowing anything. It's probably holding on to some NW4-5 hair perhaps. This success story is due to minoxidil IMO.

JWM

Reaction score

Keep in mind he's only using minoxidil foam once a day, and only half a capful.

Innermind

Established Member
Reaction score

holy crap how are people getting such good results this is insane.

Obsidian

Reaction score

JWM said:
Keep in mind he's only using minoxidil foam once a day, and only half a capful.

Then maybe I should move to once a day as well.

RaginDemon

Reaction score

simply amazing!

StrangeKarma

Established Member
Reaction score

I'm still around. :) I have been lazy tho and have not taken any pics, my hair is still about the same as it was in my october pic. :)

Cheers everyone!

ChrisJ

Reaction score

How do you cut Proscar into 6th's?