I Prevail. The End Of A Long Agonizing Road.

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
25mg is probably more than i would like to take, im sticking with 20mg at night, i don't wan't to go any higher than that. I should add im also taking spironolactone so i have to be even more careful now with oral minoxidil.

Last edited:

DuckThisSheet

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
25mg is probably more than i would like to take, im sticking with 20mg at night, i don't wan't to go any higher than that. I should add im also taking spironolactone so i have to be even more careful now with oral minoxidil.

At least you probably do not have to worry abuot water retention, couse spironolactone is a diuretic.

I am ready to increase the dose to 40-50mg one day. But I must be sure that the regrowth will increase with the dose. I still have great blood pressure.

I spoke to a certain user who claimed that he reduced doses of oral Minoxidil and the results remained the same. But who knows...

Anyway, by the end of May I will not increase the dose

DuckThisSheet

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Nvm, Im f*****g greedy, I increase the dose to 30 mg today.

I should publish my thread this weekend

Side effects update:
Red and hot ears when I'm stressed <lol>
Almost certain that I have dark circles
Gained weight, but I do not see any signs of water retention anywhere. <I have a shitty diet, so I'm still not convinced about it>

Michel Iorio

My Regimen
Reaction score
At least you probably do not have to worry abuot water retention, couse spironolactone is a diuretic.

I am ready to increase the dose to 40-50mg one day. But I must be sure that the regrowth will increase with the dose. I still have great blood pressure.

I spoke to a certain user who claimed that he reduced doses of oral Minoxidil and the results remained the same. But who knows...

I’m doing 5mg / day split into two doses and regrowth has been great.

Why take a risk when you’re already getting results?

If you have to stop because of sides, you may end up losing all your gains.

Just food for thought,

DuckThisSheet

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Just food for thought,

The theory is that the more you take minoxidil, the better you should have the results, thats why.
And I really want to go back to the straight hairline.

But... well, maybe you are right, i ll hold back and stay with my dosage

Michel Iorio

My Regimen
Reaction score
The theory is that the more you take minoxidil, the better you should have the results, thats why.

Yes, I understand.

How long have you been taking it?

I’m 5 months in and still seeing growth.

bridgeburn

My Regimen
Reaction score

up to a certain point because it depends on how much sulfotransferase you make which converts min to its active form. If you take more min than sulfotransferase available then it's pointless

Yakitori

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Just food for thought,

Did you do always do 2.5mg two times per day? Or did you try once per day at either 2.5mg or 5mg?

Michel Iorio

My Regimen
Reaction score
Did you do always do 2.5mg two times per day? Or did you try once per day at either 2.5mg or 5mg?

I started with 2.5 once a day for about a month and now been on 2.5 X 2 for about 4 months.

Might increase to 7.5 eventually if I don’t see regrowth anymore but for now the Dermapen is also helping thicken or sprout hairs along the hairline.

Cheers,

Yakitori

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I started with 2.5 once a day for about a month and now been on 2.5 X 2 for about 4 months.

Might increase to 7.5 eventually if I don’t see regrowth anymore but for now the Dermapen is also helping thicken or sprout hairs along the hairline.

Cheers,

Cheers.

I started 2.5mg once per day yesterday. I originally intended to go 5mg once per day but could be worth trying lower to begin with so I went with 2.5mg. Did you get any signs of regrowth in that first month of just 2.5mg once per day?

Also, did you respond to topical? I never did.

Michel Iorio

My Regimen
Reaction score
Cheers.

I started 2.5mg once per day yesterday. I originally intended to go 5mg once per day but could be worth trying lower to begin with so I went with 2.5mg. Did you get any signs of regrowth in that first month of just 2.5mg once per day?

Also, did you respond to topical? I never did.

Hi, I only noticed a change towards the end of the second month.

Used topical for years, even at high concentrations (12-15%), it never did anything for me.

Yakitori

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
No shedding yet what so ever after 9 days but we'll see. Topical made me shed a little bit but not overly much after the 1st week that lasted for almost 2 weeks.

Last edited:

Michael1986

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
up to a certain point because it depends on how much sulfotransferase you make which converts min to its active form. If you take more min than sulfotransferase available then it's pointless
My understanding was that the amount of this enzyme that you have is only relevant if you are using minoxidil topically, while taking minoxidil orally bypasses the issue of whether you have enough of this enzyme or not.

itsjustsimon

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
My understanding was that the amount of this enzyme that you have is only relevant if you are using minoxidil topically, while taking minoxidil orally bypasses the issue of whether you have enough of this enzyme or not.

Yup, exactly this. Oral minoxidil has practically unlimited amount of sulfotransferase available to turn minoxidil in its active form. That's why way more people have success on oral minoxidil but not topical.

bridgeburn

My Regimen
Reaction score
not exactly, oral min still needs to be converted to work. It's that there's more sulfotransferase in the liver than in the blood stream of the scalp. but the individual amount which each person's body produces varies.

Choi Han Kyul

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey all. You may have noticed I've been increasingly inactive recently. This is a section I've wanted to post in since I started my journey way back in November 2016. Safe to say this journey has been a rollercoaster ride of shedding, recession, sweat and tears.. but finally after more than 2 years of fighting to stop and reverse my hair loss I believe that day has come. One thing I want to make very clear which some don't seem to realise is that just because you're a non responder to finasteride doesn't mean it's game over. I'm one of those who believes finasteride actually hurt my hair rather than preserving it. After trying many different treatment combinations I finally found one that works for me! I'm currently using 12.5mg of Oral Minoxidil once at night, 1mg of Finasteride at night and 25mg of Cyproterone Acetate. Since staying consistent with these treatments after 9 months those tiny vellus hairs have grown an inch into halfway terminal hairs! My hair overall has thickened to the point I no longer need to use a thickening shampoo ( I still do lol )
During my journey I went from NW1.8ish to almost NW2.5 and back down to Norwood 2. If the other small vellus hairs thicken up I believe I will be a Norwood 1 again which I haven't been since I was 13/14!
Thanks to everyone who supported me through this journey and I wish eventual success to everyone else!
Here are current pictures of my hairline and current hairstyle. The thin hair in the pic with the red face block is REGROWTH which was completely bald before :D The pic with blue face block is with dermmatch on and as you can see i easily pass for Norwood 1! I'm too lazy to go look for my befores but they are floating about here somewhere!

EDIT: for those who want to see the earliest baseline I have its the pic with the red circle. That was taken a year into finasteride and 3 months into oral minoxidil. The hairs circled in red is the same hair that's in the picture with the red face block. After the baseline picture all that hair plus more fell out so you can really see how much I've regrown! :)

EDIT2: So I just found another pic of my hairline ( the wow pic ) I'm not sure when it was taken but it was before my absurdly long dread shed hit. I think it was probably about 2 months into oral minoxidil as no regrowth seems to be there yet. What amazes me is how much I've actually regrown.. I wish I had taken pics of my hairline just before my super shed ended because it looked f*****g awful.. Nonetheless I feel this pic really shows the difference :)
One last thing, to anyone who is shedding horribly with treatments.. Don't.Ever.Give.Up. I'm proof that even though the shedding lasted far, far too long that its possible to bounce back and get regrowth. Good luck all!

Good Job Andy :)

Michael1986

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
not exactly, oral min still needs to be converted to work. It's that there's more sulfotransferase in the liver than in the blood stream of the scalp. but the individual amount which each person's body produces varies.
Do you think there are some people who might not have enough sulfotransferase in their liver for oral minoxidil to work? I recently started oral minoxidil 2.5mg a day, so I'm curious about this question.