Very Impressive Dermarolling And Minxodil Results - From Tressless

gfulc

Reaction score
Hi all, I've been watching this thread from the beginning. I started my regimen about a month ago, and wanted to share a few thoughts/observations.
  • Balding details: Diffuse, and 2cm hairline recession. Balding for about 8 years.
  • Regimen details:
    • Derminator 2 medium 12 needle at 1.5mm 1x a week for 10-12 minutes. On hairline and front 1/2 of the top of my head. I wash my hands and scalp twice with Hibiclens soap (Chlorhexidine) before needling. This was recommended by a doctor friend of mine. It's expensive, but I always use a new cartridge before needling as well.
    • Minoxidil 2x a day for the past 4 years, only on front 1/3 of head. Definite regrowth initially, but things have gotten noticeably worse over the past year.
    • Nizoral for the past 4 years 2-3x weekly. Leave it on my head for 5 mins, then wash off.

Dermapenning Results at 1 month/5 sessions:

Noticeable vellus/light hairs forming that weren't there before, or were shorter than before. They don't really make my hair look thicker, though. Time will tell, I'm going to stick with it for 6 months at least.

However, a very interesting observation: I have a few gray hairs here and there, and on the area that I've been dermapenning, the grey hairs have gone back to being my normal color. Has anyone else observed this? I plucked 5 hairs just to make sure I wasn't crazy, and sure enough, they go from grey/white at the tips and fade to my normal color down near the root. I plucked a few other hairs where I'm not dermapenning and they're just grey/white all the way through.

I took pictures at the start, and I'll take some pictures around the 3 month mark to confirm that the progress I'm seeing is legit.

Dr. Pen A6 vs. Derminator 2:

I bought a Dr. Pen A6 Ultima at the same time as I bought a Derminator 2, assuming it would take forever to ship the Derminator 2. This was around Christmas. Well, it only took 2 weeks to get my Derminator 2, so I only got two sessions in with the A6 before I replaced it with the Derminator 2. Other people report that their ship times are wildly overestimated.

My thoughts:
  • Dr. Pen works just fine, but I get noticeably more "throbbing" after using it than the Derminator. Not sure if that's due to microtearing or maybe that the speeds aren't quite the same, so there's more damage being done with the Dr. Pen.
  • Derminator is noticeably higher quality. It's like the difference between a Toyota and a Lexus, or a Volkswagen and an Audi.
  • Derminator is way louder than Dr. Pen. So loud that people will hear it outside the bathroom.
  • Dr. Pen seemed to be stronger when it's not using the battery; via direct plug-in option.
  • Dr. Pen's customer support has been great. They didn't send me the right number of needles, so I emailed them and they sent me 2x the number that was missing!

Last edited:

JJL58

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
What cautious measures could be taken?

This is what I do. I'm not a doctor, so take this with a grain of salt. I would reccomend asking a doctor for more professional advice.

1. Completely wash scalp before procedure in shower. This removes bacteria from scalp.
2. Soak dermaroller in isopropyl alcohol for 5 minutes minimum. Before and after treatment.
3. Rinse scalp with cold water completely after treatment. Do not allow anything to touch scalp for 24 hours. I even try to sleep more upright.

sportsguy97

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi all, I've been watching this thread from the beginning. I started my regimen about a month ago, and wanted to share a few thoughts/observations.
  • Balding details: Diffuse, and 2cm hairline recession. Balding for about 8 years.
  • Regimen details:
    • Derminator 2 medium 12 needle at 1.5mm 1x a week for 10-12 minutes. On hairline and front 1/2 of the top of my head. I wash my hands and scalp twice with Hibiclens soap (Chlorhexidine) before needling. This was recommended by a doctor friend of mine.
    • Minoxidil 2x a day for the past 4 years, only on front 1/3 of head. Definite regrowth, but waning over the past year.
    • Nizoral for the past 4 years 2-3x weekly. Leave it on my head for 5 mins, then wash off.

Dermapenning Results at 1 month/5 sessions:

Noticeable vellus/light hairs forming that weren't there before, or were shorter than before. They don't really make my hair look thicker, though. Time will tell, I'm going to stick with it for 6 months at least.

However, a very interesting observation: I have a few gray hairs here and there, and on the area that I've been dermapenning, the grey hairs have gone back to being my normal color. Has anyone else observed this? I plucked 5 hairs just to make sure I wasn't crazy, and sure enough, they go from grey/white at the tips and fade to my normal color down near the root. I plucked a few other hairs where I'm not dermapenning and they're just grey/white all the way through.

I'll take some pictures around the 3 month mark to confirm that the progress I'm seeing is legit.

Dr. Pen A6 vs. Derminator 2:

I bought a Dr. Pen A6 Ultima at the same time as I bought a Derminator 2, assuming it would take forever to ship the Derminator 2. This was around Christmas. Well, it only took 2 weeks to get my Derminator 2, so I only got two sessions in with the A6 before I replaced it with the Derminator 2. Other people report that their ship times are wildly overestimated.

My thoughts:
  • Dr. Pen works just fine, but I get noticeably more "throbbing" after using it than the Derminator. Not sure if that's due to microtearing or maybe that the speeds aren't quite the same, so there's more damage being done with the Dr. Pen.
  • Derminator is noticeably higher quality. It's like the difference between a Toyota and a Lexus, or a Volkswagen and an Audi.
  • Derminator is way louder than Dr. Pen. So loud that people will hear it outside the bathroom.
  • Dr. Pen seemed to be stronger when it's not using the battery; via direct plug-in option.
  • Dr. Pen's customer support has been great. They didn't send me the right number of needles, so I emailed them and they sent me 2x the number that was missing!

Awesome that your noticing regrowth. Just wanted to comment on the grey thing as i had brought it up once or twice in this thread. I did some research and apparently when researchers deprived the wnt protein in mice they became grey. Wnt may be a key protein in turning hair from grey back to its original color as well. Wondering if this would work on the sides of the head as well, maybe needling that area once every couple months for grey. Pretty cool none the less.

I also have a DR pen a6 and i love it. Derminator is awesome as well from what everyone says here.

Bill_Russo

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I know it's a bit off topic but what are the typical reasons all you microneedlers for not getting an hair transplant?
Not sure if I got that right. You mean why are we doing this instead of getting a transplant?
If so, well... In my case:
1) I'm the brokest motherfucker in the block.
2) Even if I wasn't, my hair loss is not that advanced and it's also very slow.
I even made it rhyme baby.
Yes swollen lymph nodes.
Those appear typically if you f*** your scalp rigid. Also might pop up if you apply Minoxidil right after. Other than that, don't think you should worry about them if you do normal procedures.

ZenHead

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I Vape constantly, seriously get bad nicotine withdrawal if I try to quit.
The only reason I stopped was because I knew it was f*****g up my hair. A good way to cut back is to leave it at home when you're at work or doing something out and about. Impossible to not vape if you're drinking on the weekends though haha. I think if you quit or just cut back severely you'd get much better results

bigjimmy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The only reason I stopped was because I knew it was f*****g up my hair. A good way to cut back is to leave it at home when you're at work or doing something out and about. Impossible to not vape if you're drinking on the weekends though haha. I think if you quit or just cut back severely you'd get much better results

I can’t put it down ha. My CRP level came back high in a blood test recently and after doing some reading I’m starting to think it could be all the nicotine I’m vaping.

Drextez

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@kungfukenny

to my understanding, the only case of skin cancer related to microneedling is if your scalp gets exposed by the sun before you had the time to heal most of the small wounds.

2young2retire said just wear a hat when you go outside for the next 7 to 10days after your session. or dont wound in the summer. u can wound with less frequency if you have patience, like every 2-4weeks.

kungfukenny

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@kungfukenny

to my understanding, the only case of skin cancer related to microneedling is if your scalp gets exposed by the sun before you had the time to heal most of the small wounds.

2young2retire said just wear a hat when you go outside for the next 7 to 10days after your session. or dont wound in the summer. u can wound with less frequency if you have patience, like every 2-4weeks.
So if you’re microneedling once a week you’d have to wear a hat 24/7 whenever you’re outside?

ryan r

Established Member
Reaction score
I know it's a bit off topic but what are the typical reasons all you microneedlers for not getting an hair transplant?
Because you will keep balding after it. I am a diffuse thinner and filling up my hairline would be kinda stupid. I don't wanna be bald everywhere and then have a hairline just sitting there.

sportsguy97

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It seems alot of people are getting at least some results, and its still early. This is obviously positive. However for those that may not get the desired responses in lets just say 6-8 months. I get it may not be ideal for some to continue needling weekly. My thing is why not at the very least needle at least once per month indefinitely?

Right now it isn't a burden to do it every week, i think most of us could handle at least once a month.The wounding process evidently goes on for a while, even without getting results i believe the science is there with this that it could eventually do something for everyone.

Also i believe one study alluded to keeping the hair months after needling. 2young as well mentioned despite stopping he still has his hair. So even small regrowth can hopefully continually be built upon.

Drextez

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
So if you’re microneedling once a week you’d have to wear a hat 24/7 whenever you’re outside?

yes. but I would say that if the sun isnt directly hitting your head you should most likely be fine.

if you are needling 1 time a week and you dont wear a hat outside you are taking the risk according to them.

gfulc

Reaction score
Awesome that your noticing regrowth. Just wanted to comment on the grey thing as i had brought it up once or twice in this thread. I did some research and apparently when researchers deprived the wnt protein in mice they became grey. Wnt may be a key protein in turning hair from grey back to its original color as well. Wondering if this would work on the sides of the head as well, maybe needling that area once every couple months for grey. Pretty cool none the less.

I also have a DR pen a6 and i love it. Derminator is awesome as well from what everyone says here.

Ah right, I thought I had seen a comment or two about that. It is interesting re: the mice, I'll have to read about it. I would imagine it'd work on the sides of the head too if it works on the top, but that's just making an assumption. Either way, something about the wounding is causing the hair to get back in shape.

kaspa99

My Regimen
Reaction score
How long (minutes) are people needling during a typical session with 1.5?
Also is anyone applying minoxidil straight after? if so are you washing your scalp first to remove the small blood spots before applying?

thanks.

Arrade

My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't know, it's not what numberguy did and what studies suggest though.

But, maybe Follica's therapy will be like you said.
Lol if follies is applying minoxidil in open wounds, you’re basically looking at systematic minoxidil (I guess with the benefit of concentration in the scalp)

Doesn’t sound healthy to me
Let me give you another example. I held off on this because i felt it was in bad taste to talk about it due to the event, but i ask we discuss it respectfully:

There is a well known magician named Wayne Houchin. This gentleman was experiencing serious MPD for years.

A handful of years ago, while performing overseas, a tv host literally lit his hair and scalp on fire against his consent as a religious practice. It was a TERRIBLE event and it's not to be taken lightly.

With that being said, as a side observation of WH'S recent profile and cover photos, it APPEARS he has had a signficiant improvement in his male pattern baldness. Not trying to take away the signficiance of the catastrophe, but it was a side observation of mine when I was looking to see how he healed up.
I wonder if the blood vessels were burned out and then rebuilt by the body

Arrade

My Regimen
Reaction score
Needling does seem to open your body up to infection... make sure you guys are needling where after your skin can heal and seal.
Also, seems like needling is more effective than finasteride!
Since it actually reverses balding and stays reversed after stopping treatment.

Needling may be the first thing main stream adopted to really offer 'permanent' regrowth, meaning you don't have to take drugs/chemicals for life.

infinitepain

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I'm Norwood 1.456688. Was Norwood 2 pre needling. Thanks for asking.
Big claims need big pictures. Also, are you on dermarolling or dermapening? and what's your mm and frequency? are you applying any topicals? whats the rest of your hairloss treatments like?

infinitepain

Experienced Member
Reaction score
After my last and pretty damn painful session, I'm thinking about investing in a dermapen. Can anyone recommend me a solid pen that costs €100,- or less?

BTW when rolling, if its working, shouldn't every form of inflammation disappear? So no more itching due to hairloss?

It's getting less and less but it might still be there (maybe its the minoxidil).

I don't think so. Most of the stories i've seen of inflammation going down have been due finasteride or dutasteride usage, so I think DHT is pretty related to inflammation the scalp, so I don't see how something that creates inflammation (dermarolling) is going to decrease inflammation? this is the meain reason im scared to do this. I haven't solved my itch problem completely. The topical foam with the finasteride helps a bit but it never got rid of it completely, we'll see how the dutasteride goes.

Last edited: