Nothing feels better than a good buzz cut

Cassin

Reaction score
die_hard said:
I thought it might be awkward trying to hold a mirror and concentrate on what you're doing as well. just a question of practice I guess. If worse comes to worse, I'll just get a lady friend to trim the neck for me. Last time I got a dude to try I wound up having to go right down to the skin because his hand "slipped".

Yeah thats why I want one of those mirrors that come out of the wall.

83022.fpx

Looks like I am going to have to spend $130'ish for it. Oh well....small price to pay because I am done with any hair cut aside from a buzz cut unless a miracle growth "cure" happens anyway.

Cassin

Reaction score
ali777 said:
I chickened out this time, but one day I'm gonna get some balls and do it. It's freaking cold this week as well, it's just another excuse to not go very short :whistle:

Brother if you get the balls to do it in less than 2 years you did better than me...no worries. :$

die_hard

Established Member
Reaction score
$130 is a bit steap but at savings of $15-20 a cut it wouldn't be long paying for itself.

And thanks for the congrats ali. It's not near as hard or bad as you would think with even a decent cheap clipper set like the one I grabbed to test it out. Once you get that first strip done and you hear the hair zinging in the blades it's actually a pretty cool feeling.

Cassin

Reaction score
die_hard said:
$130 is a bit steap but at savings of $15-20 a cut it wouldn't be long paying for itself.

I paid about $26 per cut...so with $130 on top of $40 for the clippers.... everything has paid for itself after about 7 cuts had I bought the clipper and mirror at the same time.

That's about 5 months for me...one hell of a bargain. :mrgreen:

Petchsky

Reaction score
I've grown my hair quite long now, bit too thin for how long it is really, but when i did shave it, it felt gooood, took me a while to summon the courage, in fact i went grade 8, 4,3, then a 2 and it looked good, neat and tidy, that's what the women like. Not tried doing it myself though

Cassin

Reaction score
A nice little trick I have discovered is after you shower don't dry your hair and go check out your hair in the mirror. Its easy to see if you miss anything. This will work better the short your hair is.

Cassin

Reaction score
So I have been using a 3 guard on the sides and back and a 6 on top.

Its not too hard but its not too easy to get it to look right. You end up obsessing over the look on the back....so I cut it yesterday morning...looked great but last night I said the hell with it and went with a 4 on top. wow is a 4 guard short on top. My my my does it look short when you're a NW3'ish. I am still a bit shocked. :shock:

At least I have a very good idea what my head shape is now... :jump:

optimus prime

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Cassin, do you have pics?

I shaved 0 guard for about a year, then went to 3 guard. Difference is huge. You wouldn't think so, but it really is.

I am growing it out...haven't cut it in 2 months.

Petchsky

Reaction score
I've seen a pic of cassin's hair before. NW3 if i remember rightly, lost the temple hair...?

die_hard

Established Member
Reaction score
What!!??!? That's not him in his avatar??? :lost:

:hairy:

Cassin

Reaction score
ok so I'm at the point where I can do my entire head in under 10 minutes. SO happy with that set of clippers. Since its pretty cold in Dallas (at times anyway) I am going with a 5 guard all around.

This thing has paid for itself several times over now...

Cassin

Reaction score
So I am still doing this...working great except I found a flaw in the way I do this.

A girl friend was over last night... (literally just a friend :whistle: ) and I was sitting on the floor with my back to the couch and she was massaging my head since I had a bit of a head ache. She mentioned that my hair was uneven in certain places which is odd since I use the same grade all over now.

So I buzzed it again and I discovered that the only way to get totally even is to shave your head, switch hands and shave it again. I guess you simply hold it awkward in certain places. My hair looks a lot better now...I was noticing something odd when I looked in the mirror but couldn't place it.

beaner

Reaction score
Yup--the side I was doing with my left hand was never quite right for a while, but I wouldn't notice it until it about a week after buzzing when it started growing back in.

I use a similar method now.

nyny12

Reaction score
Hey guys, can someone post or link a picture to a grade 2 and a grade 3 buzz cut. My temples/corners are thinning and my left side is so much worse than my right and it's getting so stressful that I just want to buzz it and be free of it but of course I think I will look horrible but my girlfriend doesn't think so. I am 6'0 165 lbs but have never had a haircut shorter than about 2 inches. So before I make the jump I want to know what the different grades actually look
like. Also is it true that all thinner hair looks thicker when it is buzzed??

Thanks so much guys. This is a big help.

Petchsky

Reaction score
The 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 grade denotes the clipper guard numbers and are in eighths of an inch, so there is not very much difference between a 2 and a 3...About a weeks growth actually.

Pictures could be misleading.

nyny12

Reaction score
Thanks well can someone link a picture to what they think is a 2 or 3. Because I know there is a big difference to what a 0/1 to a 2/3 or from a 2 to a 4 but I just dont know what they look like. Any help is appreciated.

and is it true that all thin hair looks thicker when it is buzzed?