Nothing feels better than a good buzz cut

Cassin

Reaction score
Shaving your own hair with Clippers

I am just not sure what the point is of me spending $25 a month to have someone else do it when I can buy a nice set for $90 and do it myself. My hair is a 2 guard and my top about a 3 and its just stupid for me to pay for a barber every months for such a basic hair cut.

Cassin

Reaction score
Ok I just gave this my first go. I just got a barber cut yesterday so my hair is already in good shape so I just spent 20 minutes barely cutting the hair down just to get used to handling the clippers on my own.

This is going to work better than I thought. Wish I had done this years ago when I first thought of it.

My only concern is the back of the neck but I will figure that out.

I spend about $340 on barber cuts a year and only had to spend $40 on clippers and now I no longer have to wait in line for hair cuts. Sounds like a plan. :punk:

On a side note...I have a white porcelin sink and I was very happy to see a coating of thick buzzed off hairs all over the place. Guess my treatment are still going strong.

optimus prime

Experienced Member
Reaction score
You will adjust to cutting the back quite quickly. I sometimes miss behind the ear, but I check with a mirror before I finish, get the spot(s) I miss and done.

Easy and cheap!!

Norsk

Established Member
Reaction score
I have had no problems with cutting it myself, as long as I go with one length all over. I used a handheld mirror in addition to the bathroom mirror while cutting.

beaner

Reaction score
Cassin said:
My only concern is the back of the neck but I will figure that out.

It's very easy once you get the hang of it. You'll need a handheld mirror, the bathroom mirror, and a steady hand. You'll be able to shape your neckline as good as a barber before you know it. I've been doing this for 2 years and it's saved me a ton of $$$ in haircuts. The only time I've been to a regular barber in the last couple years is right before my brother's wedding---I was in it so I didn't want to take the chance of messing it up.

Good luck! BTW those clippers you bought are great--same set I have.

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
While preparing for my brother's wedding, I was shaving and I squirt some shaving cream in my hand - I swear to god the shaving cream came out in the shape of Alfred Hitchcock's head. I took a picture of it from different angles on my camera phone but have since lost the sim card.

ghg

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm having problems with my neck area since my cheap-*** Philips clippers just won't cut too well from there. I always end up with a patch of longer hair which my mother then cuts with scissors. It's the adjustment comb that does that since I have no problems when cutting to #0. I also hate the clippers since there's no comb setting between #0 and 3 mm. I dislike the #0 look so I have to go with 3 mm, which is too long.

Cassin

Reaction score
Thanks guys.

And Beaner....glad you have the same set and approve of it. I felt like I wasn't spending enough. How long did that tiny plastic vial of oil last?

Also, I intend to still go to a stylist for important functions as well just to be safe.

beaner

Reaction score
Cassin said:
Thanks guys.

And Beaner....glad you have the same set and approve of it. I felt like I wasn't spending enough. How long did that tiny plastic vial of oil last?

Also, I intend to still go to a stylist for important functions as well just to be safe.

The vial of oil will last a long time. I usually use just a drop or two after each use or sometimes every other use. I had two vials of about the same size and after two years or so I still have a bit left in one of the vials.

Cassin

Reaction score
Cut my hair three times now.

I am doing it about once a week so any changes I make are not drastic. I am getting the hang of this and I am so pleased I cannot believe I waited this long to buzz my own hair. Although in a month or so I may have a pro do it just to even out any mistakes I can't see and ask her what I am missing. Its a bit tricky cutting the top and sides/back different lengths.

I am not too happy with how it looks around the ears but I will figure it out.

And wow what a mess it makes. I spread out a white trash bag and cover the sink so I can just wad it up and toss it when I am done. I also shave it nude so I can just hop in the shower when I am done. lol

die_hard

Established Member
Reaction score
I've done mine a few times with the beard trimmer...

damn what a pain in the *** that was, I'm never doing it on my own again.

-DH

die_hard

Established Member
Reaction score
I would, but for how often I buzz it, it wouldn't be worth spending the cash for a real nice one

Cassin

Reaction score
die_hard said:
I would, but for how often I buzz it, it wouldn't be worth spending the cash for a real nice one

Buddy I got the nicest one I could find...look at the cost below

Cassin said:
Just read a bunch of reviews off amazon.com and bought a set. I was stunned at the price and reviews. I always figured these would be so expensive.

http://www.amazon.com/Wahl-79524-1001-M ... 941&sr=1-1

I just got back from target after picking it up...I'll let you know if its a disaster. :jump:

die_hard

Established Member
Reaction score
jeez, that is a damned good deal, even before they took $20 off. I might look into that just for trimming my beard even if I don't buzz my head in ages

Cassin

Reaction score
die_hard said:
jeez, that is a damned good deal, even before they took $20 off. I might look into that just for trimming my beard even if I don't buzz my head in ages

$40 at target stores. I am on my 3rd cut and this thing has paid for itself and then some already.