Nothing feels better than a good buzz cut

die_hard

Established Member
Reaction score
Cassin said:
BTW...I don't mean to push it on you...just sharing my experience.

didn't take it that you were pushing..wouldn't have to actually. I've paid almost that much for small battery powered trimmers..would have saved alot had i seen this rig years ago

Cassin

Reaction score
die_hard said:
Cassin said:
BTW...I don't mean to push it on you...just sharing my experience.

didn't take it that you were pushing..wouldn't have to actually. I've paid almost that much for small battery powered trimmers..would have saved alot had i seen this rig years ago

It comes with a small battery powered clipper! Just make sure you get the deluxe set like I linked. I think the non deluxe set is $30 and has no small set and a few less attachments.

emex4

Established Member
Reaction score
ghg said:
I'm having problems with my neck area since my cheap-*** Philips clippers just won't cut too well from there. I always end up with a patch of longer hair which my mother then cuts with scissors. It's the adjustment comb that does that since I have no problems when cutting to #0. I also hate the clippers since there's no comb setting between #0 and 3 mm. I dislike the #0 look so I have to go with 3 mm, which is too long.

i know what you mean. i shave with a zero guard but i turn the knob on the clippers so that it leaves it a little bit longer if you know what i mean. i dunno. i may as well get used to zero because thats pretty much my destiny but meh. the part of Canada im in right now is so ridiculously cold so theres no chance of getting a tan. in the summer time when im nice and tanned i feel alot better. you people who live in places like california and arizona are lucky.

beaner

Reaction score
Cassin said:
Cut my hair three times now.

I am doing it about once a week so any changes I make are not drastic. I am getting the hang of this and I am so pleased I cannot believe I waited this long to buzz my own hair. Although in a month or so I may have a pro do it just to even out any mistakes I can't see and ask her what I am missing. Its a bit tricky cutting the top and sides/back different lengths.

I am not too happy with how it looks around the ears but I will figure it out.

And wow what a mess it makes. I spread out a white trash bag and cover the sink so I can just wad it up and toss it when I am done. I also shave it nude so I can just hop in the shower when I am done. lol

Ha! This sounds exactly like my experience except I line the sink with paper towels! You'll be a pro in no time and will only be paying for haircuts for special occassions.

Cassin

Reaction score
beaner said:
Cassin said:
Cut my hair three times now.

I am doing it about once a week so any changes I make are not drastic. I am getting the hang of this and I am so pleased I cannot believe I waited this long to buzz my own hair. Although in a month or so I may have a pro do it just to even out any mistakes I can't see and ask her what I am missing. Its a bit tricky cutting the top and sides/back different lengths.

I am not too happy with how it looks around the ears but I will figure it out.

And wow what a mess it makes. I spread out a white trash bag and cover the sink so I can just wad it up and toss it when I am done. I also shave it nude so I can just hop in the shower when I am done. lol

Ha! This sounds exactly like my experience except I line the sink with paper towels! You'll be a pro in no time and will only be paying for haircuts for special occassions.

Do you use that "around the ears" attachment? I will give it a go...just looks weird.

beaner

Reaction score
Cassin said:
Do you use that "around the ears" attachment? I will give it a go...just looks weird.

I've actually never used that thing so I can offer no advice.....

ali777

Reaction score
I'm thinking of biting the bullet and buzzing my hair tomorrow morning... I'm so fed up of constantly touching my hair, I'm almost obsessed with it. I think that's why I keep coming to this site... I feel like I'm gonna be liberated if I buzz my hair.

Anyway, I've never had haircut shorter than an inch or inch and a half, and I'm afraid that buzz cut might look cr*p on me. You know how it goes, I think that I have a large round head that is not suitable for very short hair. On top of that, I have a very high hairline, etc... These are my excuses for being afraid :sobbing:

I still can't decide if I should just do it, or get a trim this weekend. I know, it's only hair and it will grow back.

I guess I need a bit of encouragement and support :whistle:.

Anyone with a large head out there that buzzes his hair regularly?

Cassin

Reaction score
^^^

There is something extremely liberating going for the "yeah I'm going bald I admit it so STFU" buzz cut. Im a NW3 so sometimes its a tad shocking in the mirror but so what. Believe it or not its a total confidence booster. Everyone can spot the bald guy covering things up with a bad haircut or a hat which I have always said is the modern toupee.

I am done with hats and worry for the most part.

I still have the 0 guard buzzcut when things totally go south on me........ so there is that down the road to worry about but at least I have dealt with most of it.

I am still giving myself a good buzz once a week while I get used to these do-it yourself clippers which have already paid for themselves.

LOL I went all over the place...not sure if I helped you or not ali777

Cassin

Reaction score
btw...you can ask me a hundred questions if you think it will help you ali777...no worries...that goes for everyone.

Just send me a pm if you think I missed the question...I try so hard but its impossible to read every post.

ali777

Reaction score
Well.. My problem is that I keep playing with my hair.... I just don't want to think about it. If I have it very short, there is nothing to play with and I'm gonna be free until it grows again.

There should be a #4 guard somewhere in the house. I think #4 is just under 1/2", which isn't extreme... I might give it a try. If it looks really bad, around Xmas it will be an inch long...

ali777

Reaction score
Cassin said:
btw...you can ask me a hundred questions if you think it will help you ali777...no worries...that goes for everyone.

Just send me a pm if you think I missed the question...I try so hard but its impossible to read every post.

When I was a teenager, I had long hair and I used to buzz 1-2" strip behind the ears. I've done my neck a few times as well... I think I'm experienced enough to do it on my own...

As I said, it's more about convincing myself that it will not look cr*p...

Thanks for the offer..

die_hard

Established Member
Reaction score
Just seeing the first new crop of hairs coming in since starting finasteride/nizoral. Thinkin it's soon time for a manubuzz (new name for buzzing yourself) and taking some comparison shots. Got the razor, got the reason...

-DH

ali777

Reaction score
Cassin said:

I chickened out :sobbing:

I went to my local hairdressers the first thing this morning and got my normal haircut. Hopefully, I'll stop playing with my hair now...

I got a nasty surprise when I was in the hairdressers'. You know how they hold the mirror in the back to show the neck and the crown... My crown is much thinner than I thought it was :freaked:

Petchsky

Reaction score
It always is, but sometimes it's just the light

die_hard

Established Member
Reaction score
SO I gathered up the balls and gave a shot at cutting my own hair. Took the clipers and whent all around the back and sides with a grade 4 and left the top as is (about a 6 if there was one). Am I ever glad I gave it a shot. I almost feel like I did a better job than a barber would have since they never quite bring the grad up to the spot where mbp is thinning it making it look flatter. I was able to stop the grade right at the right spot giving my head a more natural shape and really giving it a fuller appearance.

Wow, after reading that I kinda feel like a chick..but :dunno: I'm pretty proud of my work.

-DH

Cassin

Reaction score
die_hard said:
SO I gathered up the balls and gave a shot at cutting my own hair. Took the clipers and whent all around the back and sides with a grade 4 and left the top as is (about a 6 if there was one). Am I ever glad I gave it a shot. I almost feel like I did a better job than a barber would have since they never quite bring the grad up to the spot where mbp is thinning it making it look flatter. I was able to stop the grade right at the right spot giving my head a more natural shape and really giving it a fuller appearance.

Wow, after reading that I kinda feel like a chick..but :dunno: I'm pretty proud of my work.

-DH

Awesome man!

Which set did you get?

die_hard

Established Member
Reaction score
Cassin said:
die_hard said:

-DH

Awesome man!

Which set did you get?

For now I picked up conair set that was on sale for $7.99 wich is basicaly a cheap verision of the wahl chrome set you had linked just to try it and see how I would do at it. It's smaller and only has a charger like a cell phone sized on and It only has 8 pieces and no behind the ears attachement but it has a detachable head for hair as well as beard. I've just ordered the Wahl actually now that I know I'm never going back to the barber shop and I'll use the Conair one for a travel pack and touching up my bear when I'm on the road since it's so small and compact.

One thing that I think is going to take a lot of getting used to I have to say is trimming up the neck area..I did fine with the right side, but when I has to switch up hands I got pretty shaky with the left so it's not so even. Did you use that mirror while doing your neck? I didn't have one so I just opened the cabinet mirror a crack on each end and wnet at it that way.

-DH

Cassin

Reaction score
The mirror that came with my clippers is basically worthless its so small. I might buy one of those adjustable angle/length arm mirrors that attaches to walls and use that.

die_hard

Established Member
Reaction score
I thought it might be awkward trying to hold a mirror and concentrate on what you're doing as well. just a question of practice I guess. If worse comes to worse, I'll just get a lady friend to trim the neck for me. Last time I got a dude to try I wound up having to go right down to the skin because his hand "slipped".

ali777

Reaction score
The standard grades should be in increments of 1/8th of an inch. So, #4 would be 1/2" and #6 is 3/4".

I'd like to congratulate you on your success...

I chickened out this time, but one day I'm gonna get some balls and do it. It's freaking cold this week as well, it's just another excuse to not go very short :whistle: