My Zix Experience - How B6 And Zinc Have Saved My Hair

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Good to hear. I probably mentioned it before, but my head used to itch so badly, it looked red and seemed almost to be oozing with puss, which would dry into yellowish crust I suspect would clog my follicles. I could find zero relief, tar shampoos (back in 1996), selsum blue, I tried everything. The itch drove me crazy, I would dream of stabbing a fork into the scalp and dragging it accross my head for some reprieve. Eventually I started taking zinc supplements internally on the recommendation of my derm at the time. It made a massive difference. Whenever I would get lazy, the itch would return.

Naturally when I saw zix back in 2004, i jumped at the idea, and it completely eliminated the little itching/inflammation i had left.

If you look at revivogen on amazon, you'll see it uses both zinc and B6 p5p. I suspect it doesnt keep for long, and may not be as effective as a result. But even regenepure and lipogaine (shampoo and minoxidil) put zinc and b6 in their formula. There is definitely something to this idea, so much so that some companies are making money off this.
Worm, do you think Revivogen is really snake oil? I used to use it before minoxidil and finasteride and I really did well with it. I remember Bryan thought it seemed possible for it to be effective. The doctor who invented it has great hair. Do you think he used anything else besides revivogen?

Wanheda

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Well I would say yes, however I can't say that they all work equally as well. For example, I'm not convinced the zinc I now use, pluspharma works as well as my old one, which is discontinued. I'm ordered a new one to see.
Ok that's reassuring to know, thanks for that. Yes definitely can be difference between vitamin brands. I noticed on ebay there were many that were sold in clear pouches with home-printed stickers on and others that didnt look all that convincing either. I stuck with Swansons and other well known brands.

Rightio, time to purchase that p5p

For p5p, it could be that it works better. All else being equal, in essence zinc sulphate and p5p should have the same specs across the board. The reality may be otherwise. No other way to find other than to try. Otherwise yes, capsules will be much easier to mix.

Wanheda

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Worm my reply to you is somewhere within the above It's quoted you and mixed my reply into your quote too lol.

worm

My Regimen
Reaction score
Worm, do you think Revivogen is really snake oil? I used to use it before minoxidil and finasteride and I really did well with it. I remember Bryan thought it seemed possible for it to be effective. The doctor who invented it has great hair. Do you think he used anything else besides revivogen?

I never said revivogen is snake oil. I just said it uses the same ingredients. I truly believe there is something to zinc and b6 reducing dht. I just think zix is cheaper because you mix it yourself.

worm

My Regimen
Reaction score
Worm my reply to you is somewhere within the above It's quoted you and mixed my reply into your quote too lol.

I'll let u know how my new one goes. I'm not sure about Swanson's. Could very well work... :)

Wanheda

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'll let u know how my new one goes. I'm not sure about Swanson's. Could very well work... :)
Cool. Yes a well known vitamin mfr so hopefully should be the real deal. Fingers crossed everything should arrive by tmrw and can get started!

worm

My Regimen
Reaction score
BTW not sure if I posted this, but these are the ingredients to Revivogen, basically b6 and zinc sulphate are the active ingredients. They say azelaic acid also rounds off the effect, but I find azelaic doesnt work for me.

What's interesting is I know lipogaine also uses b6/zinc in their minoxidil, as well as their shampoo and regenepure as well. I believe lipogaine gets the best results for minoxidils, and I suspect it simply due to their b6/zinc additions which are supposed to help reduce DHT.

Man im tempted to add minoxidil. Suspect I'll give it a go once I evaluate this new zinc sulphate.

++

Ingredients: SD Alcohol 40, Purified Water, Gamma Linolenic Acid, Linoleic Acid, Alpha Linolenic Acid, Oleic Acid, Saw Palmetto Extract, Azelaic Acid, Ethyl Laurate, Phytol, Beta, Sitosterol, Grape Seed Extract (Procyanidin Oligomers), Vitamin B6, Niacin, Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Zinc Sulfate,Menthol, EDTA, Perfume. Directions: Apply to clean and dry scalp. Shake well before use. 1. Comb hair back. 2. Depending on the size of the affected area use 1-2ml of Revivogen Scalp Therapy to lightly cover the area. 3. Part hair with dropper and drag across the scalp, lightly dripping the formula. Continue this process in small sections until all affected areas are covered. 4. If the scalp therapy starts to run, massage into scalp. Leave on scalp for 3 hours or leave on overnight.

worm

My Regimen
Reaction score
This is regenepure

+

Aqua (Deionized Water), Aloe Barbadensis Leaf (Aloe Vera Gel) Juice, Ketoconazole, Disodium LaurethSulfosuccinate, Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate, CocamidopropylBetaine, Carbomer, Glycerin, PEG-8, Niacin (Vitamin-B3), Serenoa Serrulata (Saw Palmetto) Extract, Hydrolyzed Wheat Proteins, Dimethicone, Allantoin, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin-C), Pyridoxine HCl (Vitamin-B6), Linolenic Acid, Emu Oil, Dl-Panthenol, SimmondsiaChinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Menthol, Mentha Viridis (Spearmint) Oil, Hexylene Glycol, Salicylic Acid, PEG-25 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Citrus MedicaLimonum (Lemon) Oil, Caffeine, Zinc Oxide, Guanine, Polysorbate-80, Phenoxyethanol, Ethylhexylglycerin, FD&C Blue #1.

worm

My Regimen
Reaction score
For anyone interested in minoxidil this was from someone on the HLH site, he said this last year -

http://www.hairlosshelp.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=10&threadid=103129

FYI, many years ago I advised my friend to give zix a try (he didn't want to use finasteride) To this day he is still using it along with minoxidil, and his hair looks great.

http://www.hairlosshelp.com/forums/...d=59841&STARTPAGE=1&FTVAR_FORUMVIEWTMP=Linear

Yup, my buddy uses Zix and since I last spoke to him (about 2 months ago I think) he still uses it. Applies Zix first, then applies minoxidil a few minutes later. He no longer uses alcohol in his Zix because he couldn't get Everclear anymore, so he just uses distilled water. Said it works just as well. He's about a NW2 but has diffuse thinning. Zix thickened his hair a bit and stopped further fallout. All three of his brothers and his father are pretty bald. He said he takes breaks from Zix from time to time out of laziness and says he starts to shed a lot when he does, even while still using minoxidil, so the zix obviously does something for him.

Elohim

My Regimen
Reaction score
Do you think demineralized water will be fine, or should it really be distilled. It's a little harder to find real distilled water over here (most supermarkets sell demineralized water as distilled water).

worm

My Regimen
Reaction score
Do you think demineralized water will be fine, or should it really be distilled. It's a little harder to find real distilled water over here (most supermarkets sell demineralized water as distilled water).

no, dimineralized will ruin the effectiveness. A pharmacy is your best bet for distilled water. If you cant find any, ask the pharmacist.

Which country are you in?

How is rogaine working for you? and how long have you been using it?

Elohim

My Regimen
Reaction score
no, dimineralized will ruin the effectiveness. A pharmacy is your best bet for distilled water. If you cant find any, ask the pharmacist.

Which country are you in?

How is rogaine working for you? and how long have you been using it?

Alright, I cannot find anything about pharmacies selling distilled water here, but you would say some people need it for medical reasons, so it makes sense I guess.

The Netherlands.

I think I'm using Rogaine for two months now. I used to use minoxidil from Regenepure, and after that nanoxidil, because minoxidil isn't sold in the Netherlands anymore (I'm not sure why). I think both of those didn't do much, but I maintained most of my hair because of the finasteride I used. I stopped with finasteride 2.5 months ago because of sides. After I quit finasteride my hair got a little worse. Temples are alright, but I'm diffuse and most of my head is visible with wet hair. Crown is getting quite bad.

I haven't had a big shed because of the Rogaine, and I didn't notice any new hairs or anything yet, but the only thing that has helped me get rid of the itch is Rogaine, so I guess in a way it is working. I also have the idea that my hair looks better, but that might just be an illusion.

I'm not sure what to do when I start zix, because it might not work very well with minoxidil. On one hand, when I quit minoxidil to start zix, my hair might get worse because I quit minoxidil, and I might be unable to notice the possible positive effects of zix. On the other hand, when my hair loss decreases in a few weeks, I might not be able to tell whether it is because of the Rogaine or the zix.

worm

My Regimen
Reaction score
Well, if you have a look at the link I posted above, the user JWM talks about how his friend says that whenever he stops zix, the shedding gets worse even though he is using minoxidil. I think the two used in conjunction have synergistic effects.

You should talk to the pharmacist, maybe they can help you. or google distilled water in the netherlands.

Elohim

My Regimen
Reaction score
I read it, looks promising. I think I will just add the Zix.

When I Google where to buy distilled water in the Netherlands, the first few hits are other people asking where to buy distilled water, because it's usually demineralized haha. But I'll figure something out.

worm

My Regimen
Reaction score
I read it, looks promising. I think I will just add the Zix.

When I Google where to buy distilled water in the Netherlands, the first few hits are other people asking where to buy distilled water, because it's usually demineralized haha. But I'll figure something out.

Seems like it should be easy enough, im pretty sure labs use the stuff all the time, that's why i suggest asking a pharmacist directly.

If you cant find 70% ethyl alcohol, it's better just using 100% distilled water. From what JWM said in the link, the minoxidil seems to help with absorption.

I really hope this helps, please let us know how it goes.

Wanheda

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Progress! Just awaiting the Zinc Sulfate now. I'm not sure if its the most cost effective option for Zix but on ebay was v easy to find all the components.

Attachments

• 20170201_224334.jpg
    20170201_224334.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 771

worm

My Regimen
Reaction score
Progress! Just awaiting the Zinc Sulfate now. I'm not sure if its the most cost effective option for Zix but on ebay was v easy to find all the components.

Dont mean to burst your bubble, but it says folate on that bottle, which is b12. you should be using b6 p5p. am i mistaking something here?

checkers2

My Regimen
Reaction score
hey Worm, ive been using zinc and b6 for about a week now... hair might seem a tad bit stronger but tough to say

Anyways i was using Smart Water which is vapor distilled water. Think its fine?

I suppose i can always make my own....

worm

My Regimen
Reaction score
hey Worm, ive been using zinc and b6 for about a week now... hair might seem a tad bit stronger but tough to say

Anyways i was using Smart Water which is vapor distilled water. Think its fine?

I suppose i can always make my own....

Great to hear and yeah sounds fine. I think the mixture works as a thickener too. I find its good for styling and gives your follicles a boost.

Any reduced itching or change in shedding?