My Zix Experience - How B6 And Zinc Have Saved My Hair

worm

My Regimen
Reaction score
@bunchies

I have tabs as well, and they work fine. It could be that the filler may interfere with the formulation, but given it's the only option on amazon uk, go for it. My honest opinion is that it should work just as well.

Quest

My Regimen
Reaction score
wanted to give a shout-out to @worm for all the help, i think there's serious potential behind zix and my friend here only has good intentions for those wishing for an effective alternative. i'll post about my experiences in another few months.

tangled

Reaction score
I'm gonna try this as well.

2 mls a day applied once?
Ideas for removing the yellow on the hands after rubbing it in?

I've noticed everytime I try a topical, I literally feel like I'm rubbing out a lot of my existing hair, never happens during shampoo, just applying topicals, anyone else have this problem, trying to do it lightly it still have about 20 hairs coming out each day, after a week, it look pretty bad. It's not shedding, happens day one, Hair on top is about 4-6 inches long.
I don't see anyone complaining about this, just me?

worm

My Regimen
Reaction score
@tangled have you tried zix, or is this with other topicals?

I have not noticed that any shedding occur when i apply zix. The mixture is almost like applying head and shoulders to your scalp with a bit of vitamin b6, in other words it's extremely inert. I would be extremely surprised to hear that it vaporizes hair on contact.

I apply about 2 mls, twice a day. I have longer hair though, so i suspect much of it gets absorbed in my hair.

The yellow fades pretty quickly imo. maybe try a bit of oxy clean on your hands if it bothers you.

WMQ

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I was trying to use a pure water based solution and still got sides. Maybe less but I'm sure the headache is there and right upon application. I don't even know how you can get substantial absorption with a water based solution at all though.

And some studies that might interest you:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6727359
Increased target tissue uptake of, and sensitivity to, testosterone in the vitamin B6 deficient rat.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1310983
Vitamin B6 modulates transcriptional activation by multiple members of the steroid hormone receptor superfamily.

tangled

Reaction score
I took a look at the zix formulas to see how yours compared. From what I read the ethyl alcohol is supposed to be 1/8 approx 12.5% your using 1/3 approx 33% so you are almost tripling the ethyl alcohol. Also tripling the pills you added which you mentioned.

There is so much sediment added to the hair is becomes like powder and almost like a light concealer, probably fine for brown or blonde, not sure about black hair though.

I'm also starting to get dry eyes, probably due to the ethyl alcohol.

I'm going to try and remix closer to the original formula, see if the powder lessens and the dry eyes discontinue.

Wouldn't it be easier to buy zinc sulfate powder and add it? Than deal with all the additives. It's cheap like $8 on Amazon. Even the zix sites say you can use it.

They even sell pure b-6 powder.

???

Massive

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@worm - Do you think that shitty responders to finasteride/dutasteride could respond well to zix ? Bcuz it seems like u were a goos responder to finasteride before u switched to zix

Reactions: H&Q

worm

My Regimen
Reaction score
I took a look at the zix formulas to see how yours compared. From what I read the ethyl alcohol is supposed to be 1/8 approx 12.5% your using 1/3 approx 33% so you are almost tripling the ethyl alcohol. Also tripling the pills you added which you mentioned.

There is so much sediment added to the hair is becomes like powder and almost like a light concealer, probably fine for brown or blonde, not sure about black hair though.

I'm also starting to get dry eyes, probably due to the ethyl alcohol.

I'm going to try and remix closer to the original formula, see if the powder lessens and the dry eyes discontinue.

Wouldn't it be easier to buy zinc sulfate powder and add it? Than deal with all the additives. It's cheap like $8 on Amazon. Even the zix sites say you can use it.

They even sell pure b-6 powder.

???

Hi @tangled

Im sure you can scale back the Ethyl alcohol, and the zinc sulfate powder could very well work. It could be that reducing the other items and simply using Joe's formula is as effective or even more so than my version. That said, I was just reporting what works for me.

Let me know how it goes.

Cheers!

worm

My Regimen
Reaction score
@worm - Do you think that shitty responders to finasteride/dutasteride could respond well to zix ? Bcuz it seems like u were a goos responder to finasteride before u switched to zix

Hi @Massive, it could be that a shitty responder will respond to zix. I dont know.

What I do know is I had crazy bad red inflammed scalp, some scaling and itching. Zix eliminated the itching and made my scalp look normal again. Whatever mechanism that caused this, i believe also prevented my hair from falling out further. Whether that's reduced inflammation, elimination of DHT, or the combination of vits stimulates hair growth, i dont know. That said, if you have inflammation and itch like I did, I think it's definitely a good possibility that it could work even if you dont respond ot finasteride/dutasteride.

worm

My Regimen
Reaction score
@Massive One other thing i didnt mention at any point in this post, was that I wish i had tried this before any other treatment. The thing is at the time I started losing my hair, 1996, I didnt have any other options other than trying finasteride (1997). I was on it for something like 7 years, and I had some pretty bad sides. It was only in 2004, that I think Joe created zix. Had this been available way back when, I could have avoided 7 years of sides and been happier for it.

So like Joe, on his website says, I think this should be the first treatment before anything else. If some dont respond, they can always go the finasteride/minoxidil route.

Losingmyhair1234

My Regimen
Reaction score
@Massive One other thing i didnt mention at any point in this post, was that I wish i had tried this before any other treatment. The thing is at the time I started losing my hair, 1996, I didnt have any other options other than trying finasteride (1997). I was on it for something like 7 years, and I had some pretty bad sides. It was only in 2004, that I think Joe created zix. Had this been available way back when, I could have avoided 7 years of sides and been happier for it.

So like Joe, on his website says, I think this should be the first treatment before anything else. If some dont respond, they can always go the finasteride/minoxidil route.

Hey I've got a question about this. From some of the other posts it looks like people are saying you can't use zix AND minoxidil. Apparently the zinc and minoxidil like cancel out each others effectiveness. I'm curious if that's your experience as well? I would like to try and add this but don't really want to stop using minoxidil. I'm wondering could I use zix in the morning and the minoxidil at night? Or can you not use them together at all?

worm

My Regimen
Reaction score
@Losingmyhair1234, im glad you asked that.

While Ive been losing hair for the past 20 years (just celebrated the date a couple months back :) ), Ive been using zix for the past 11 years or so. I cant promise that zix has halted my hairloss, i wish, but it has been so gradual, that at the age of 39, I still have lots of hair.

So to get to the point, Ive been tempted to start minoxidil, to regrow a bit of lost ground. I have heard of some good results coming from the combination even though the zix creator said otherwise.

So I would try adding zix if I were you, if you find yourself shedding, then drop it. I like the fact that you're already on minoxidil, so Im guessing it works in some capacity for you. Ideally this should reduce dht and improve your results. If not, then after stopping you should be back on track in no time.

Here are a few threads I posted on page 1 relating to minoxidil.

- See Shark Sandwich

http://www.hairlosshelp.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=10&threadid=58856

- See JWM July 28

https://www.hairlosshelp.com/forums...d=59841&STARTPAGE=1&FTVAR_FORUMVIEWTMP=Linear

http://www.hairlosshelp.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=10&threadid=72522

Personally, Ive used minoxidil and i worked well for me, but it's also been 12 years since ive used it, so Im hesitant to go through a shed if there is any. That said, a lot of people have just reported that shedding went way down with the combination.

How have you responded to minoxidil so far?

Losingmyhair1234

My Regimen
Reaction score
So I'm kind of getting mixed results to be honest. The problem for me is the Propylene Glycol in most minoxidil solutions irritates my skin pretty bad. So about 3 months ago i switched to a solution without PG, and while I haven't gotten the scaly, flakey dandruff that I got previously, I don't think it's working as well because my hair is shedding WAY worse than it was before. I'm honestly considering switching back to the PG minoxidil and just live with the dandruff. I saw this and would like to add zix as my hairfall has been much worse over the past 3 months than it ever has and I feel like my hair has gotten way thinner.

It sounds like you think the theory that they cancel each other out is a little overblown then? I would like to try and add it in. I mean at this point I have nothing left to lose and like you said I can always drop it if I don't think it's helping.

worm

My Regimen
Reaction score
Well to be honest, I think zix could help with the itch and irritation big time, I think that's the mechanism that prevents hairloss. Just a theory, but at the very least I think it will improve your scalp health.

gotta run, will chime in a little later tonight or tomorrow.

Massive

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
So I'm kind of getting mixed results to be honest. The problem for me is the Propylene Glycol in most minoxidil solutions irritates my skin pretty bad. So about 3 months ago i switched to a solution without PG, and while I haven't gotten the scaly, flakey dandruff that I got previously, I don't think it's working as well because my hair is shedding WAY worse than it was before. I'm honestly considering switching back to the PG minoxidil and just live with the dandruff. I saw this and would like to add zix as my hairfall has been much worse over the past 3 months than it ever has and I feel like my hair has gotten way thinner.

It sounds like you think the theory that they cancel each other out is a little overblown then? I would like to try and add it in. I mean at this point I have nothing left to lose and like you said I can always drop it if I don't think it's helping.

Which PG free (brand name) solution did you switch to exactly?
For me minoxidil with pg is just not a valid option. Saying that it irritated my scalp is an understatement. I use the foam now, seeing a bit of progress.

Losingmyhair1234

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've been using lipogaine for men with sensitive skin.. I've tried using foam in the past, but it was hard for me to use because I'm diffuse thinner as opposed to the traditional Norwood pattern, and the foam would get all in my hair and not really reach the scalp. I've read of other guys melting the foam down to a liquid and then using a dropper and basically using it like it was liquid... I wonder how much liquid you would get out of a can of foam? I just feel like it wouldn't be very much, and then it would end up being really expensive because I use 2 mL a night in order to cover my entire scalp.

worm

My Regimen
Reaction score

Also, I heard that non pg minoxidil doesnt work as well. There is probably something that makes the PG more soluble and easier absorbed into the scalp.

I too am a diffuse user, and I heard that it's hard to have the foam absorb. The greasiness doesnt seem too appealing on the flip side, but if you improve the thickness, then hopefully you wont notice the oiliness or the irritation after a few months. I think zix will take that away (irritation) and the combination could potentially work well together, especially since zix according to Joe, should keep dht at bay.

worm

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've been using lipogaine for men with sensitive skin.. I've tried using foam in the past, but it was hard for me to use because I'm diffuse thinner as opposed to the traditional Norwood pattern, and the foam would get all in my hair and not really reach the scalp. I've read of other guys melting the foam down to a liquid and then using a dropper and basically using it like it was liquid... I wonder how much liquid you would get out of a can of foam? I just feel like it wouldn't be very much, and then it would end up being really expensive because I use 2 mL a night in order to cover my entire scalp.

I would avoid lipogaine, my friend tried it and had issues with it. I would just try straight up minoxidil, and use zix as a compliment to it. Bonus is minoxidil alone is cheap.

It doesnt sound like whatever you're doing is working as well as you would ideally have it, I would try the combi as you have nothing to lose. If you find yourself shedding more than normal, then drop whatever is causing it. 2-3 weeks of shedding wont change nothing.

mustafasoud

My Regimen
Reaction score
i found it hard to understand how to prepare that liquid cause my english is not well can you make things easier for me and i want to know if this have any side thanks .

worm

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi, not sure I understand your question, but I had no sides at all.

Do you also need clearer instructions to prepare Zix?