Exploring The Hormonal Route. Hair=life.

DHTHUNTER

My Regimen
Reaction score
Doesn't bicalutamide block androgens produced locally via DHEA? Bica occupies a receptor, what's the difference where the hormone came from if the receptor is busy
It is also used in women to treat PCOS, treat hirsutism
@Ticken
yes but.. women have their own estrogen. we practically do not have it. without estrogen, there is no new hair.

Yar

My Regimen
Reaction score
Итак, ВЫ знаете причину АГА?
Я давно ее рассказал,это снижение гспг печени,ведь только гспг связывает свободные андрогены,а без гспг они доступны рецепторам.

Get my hair back

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Не стоит наворачивать так много всего если вы не знаете причину андрогенной алопеции
I have AHA. I'm starting HRT for the third time and believe me, I know what I'm doing. It's just that spironolactone with estradiol won't get my hair back, I tried it. The first two times I kept the regime for half a year, this time I am set for the long term.

Yar

My Regimen
Reaction score
У меня АГА. Я начинаю гормональную терапию в третий раз и, поверьте, я знаю, что делаю. Просто спиронолактон с эстрадиолом не вернет мне волосы, я пробовала. Первые два раза режим держал по полгода, в этот раз настроен на длительный срок.
Очень хорошо подходит эстрадиол в геле так как в кровоток эстрадиол поступает в неизменном виде в отличии от таблеток а спиронолактон повышает гспг и связывает свободные андрогены и не дает связываться с рецепторами волос тем самым предоставляя эстрадиолу работать с рецепторами

Almas

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
yes but.. women have their own estrogen. we practically do not have it. without estrogen, there is no new hair.
To grow new hair, you need estrogen. But if you have hair and start treatment on time, blocking the receptors will reverse the miniaturization. You can see this in the example of eunuchs: their T and E fall, however, their hair grows back a little and improves the quality. If you started treatment early, that's good.

Get my hair back

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Очень хорошо подходит эстрадиол в геле так как в кровоток эстрадиол поступает в неизменном виде в отличии от таблеток а спиронолактон повышает гспг и связывает свободные андрогены и не дает связываться с рецепторами волос тем самым предоставляя эстрадиолу работать с рецепторами
The problem with the gel is that it gives weak levels of estradiol in the blood, but it is 100% estradiol hemihydrate in the blood. I would use injections, it is safer and more effective, but unfortunately not available to me.

2TameDHT

My Regimen
Reaction score
I also highly recommend not taking OTC liquid minoxidil solution orally without dilution. Not because you might think, but because it's almost impossible to control dosage and take a safe low dose. Standard rogaine/generic is 5% which means that 1 ml contains 50mg of dissolved minoxidil. How many ml were in each of those drops? It's impossible to really know how much minoxidil you were taking but it could have been 30+ mg which is in dangerous levels.

If you want too continue taking OTC minoxidil solution orally, you should heavily dilute it. Mixing 1ml of otc solution with 19 ml of vodka or grain alcohol will give 2.5mg minoxidil in 1 ml of diluted solution. This is about the minimum dilution level I would recommend. You could even dilute it more to give greater granularity in measurement since it's much easier to measure milliliters with home equipment than it is to measure microliters
I was given the impression that one droplet was equivalent to about 1 mg.
So, I thought I was taking no more than 5 mg.

Androgenic Alpaca

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I was given the impression that one droplet was equivalent to about 1 mg.
So, I thought I was taking no more than 5 mg.
Just for future reference, otc minoxidil solution is measured in m/v percentages. The most common strength is 5% (but it also comes in 2%). A 100% solution would be 1 gram per ml of solution, so 5% is 0.05 grams per ml of solution. Since there are 1000 mg in a gram, this means that there are 50mg in a ml of otc minoxidil solution.

Really I don't think that thered be safety concerns in orally consuming this solution but ONLY if it is properly diluted and you accurately measure the amount that you consume

Androgenic Alpaca

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Just for future reference, otc minoxidil solution is measured in m/v percentages. The most common strength is 5% (but it also comes in 2%). A 100% solution would be 1 gram per ml of solution, so 5% is 0.05 grams per ml of solution. Since there are 1000 mg in a gram, this means that there are 50mg in a ml of otc minoxidil solution.

Really I don't think that thered be safety concerns in orally consuming this solution but ONLY if it is properly diluted and you accurately measure the amount that you consume
I think a lot of confusion surrounding minoxidil on this board is from people not realizing that the safe dosages of oral and topical minoxidil are very, very different. When used topically, minoxidil has a very low systemic absorption (which is part of the reason why it is a very good medicine to use typically) and only a tiny fraction will go systemic. The standard topical dose for hair loss is 100mg/day, the standard oral dose for hairloss is only 1-2mg per day, and the standard oral dose for hypertension is 1mg per day. You can see the difference! But it's also relatively safe to use even higher doses topically. Personally, I've used over 300mg per day topically. If I took that dosage orally, it'd kill me!

Something to keep in mind though is that when using topical minoxidil, some small amount will go systemic. It's hard to gauge how much that is, but I could be getting the equivalent of a few mg dose in my bloodstream just from the topical administration. Because of this you should use caution when using high topical doses if you have a heart condition and you should use caution if you're going to take oral minoxidil while using large doses of topical. You might think that 5mg oral isn't a lot, but it could be a lot if you combine it with lots of topical application

Grim

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I think a lot of confusion surrounding minoxidil on this board is from people not realizing that the safe dosages of oral and topical minoxidil are very, very different. When used topically, minoxidil has a very low systemic absorption (which is part of the reason why it is a very good medicine to use typically) and only a tiny fraction will go systemic. The standard topical dose for hair loss is 100mg/day, the standard oral dose for hairloss is only 1-2mg per day, and the standard oral dose for hypertension is 1mg per day. You can see the difference! But it's also relatively safe to use even higher doses topically. Personally, I've used over 300mg per day topically. If I took that dosage orally, it'd kill me!

Something to keep in mind though is that when using topical minoxidil, some small amount will go systemic. It's hard to gauge how much that is, but I could be getting the equivalent of a few mg dose in my bloodstream just from the topical administration. Because of this you should use caution when using high topical doses if you have a heart condition and you should use caution if you're going to take oral minoxidil while using large doses of topical. You might think that 5mg oral isn't a lot, but it could be a lot if you combine it with lots of topical application
Oh man speaking of oral minoxidil, you should check out my post.

zeldazoo22

My Regimen
Reaction score
This person is the head of Transfeminine Science and Kay also writes a lot there. They will answer specific question you want to pose, Almas but I am just posting studies and excerpts of studies so people can decide for themselves. I have no horse in this race but you seem to feel as though you understand all of this better than others and perhaps you do but the proof at least anecdotally for you is in the pudding. Instead you are conjecturing about endocrine factors that often don't make sense in terms of conjecture. A lot of this field is lightly tested and studied so often anecdotal reports are all that we have.

Anything by this gal is worth taking a look at. I don't encounter many folks that I necessarily defer to but I do defer to her and Kay generally as they read and write research papers with alacrity and precision.

Wow! I had a long dialogue with her on reddit yesterday! She was super kind and helpful. She actually seemed to think that E would not be the best move for me, and that CPA would instead, which I wasn't expecting. In her own words: " There's some theory and probably weak evidence that more E may be beneficial to some extent. But really it's neutralizing the androgens or drastically reducing their activity in the scalp that's by far more important. Also only low E levels are needed for robust breast development and feminization"

Being that CPA is probably the most dangerous, as shown in your above post, I'll probably avoid that one.

zeldazoo22

My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't think estrogen monotherapy without dht blockers would cause gyno, although as everything it depends on the person in question.
Do you think topical spironolactone with finasteride would be preferable to topical E in terms of avoiding feminization?