Baldies and the reason they have to be buff

kejan

Established Member
Reaction score
HPM, trying taking some of that hate and focus on yourself. I agree that the beard/horseshoe isn't a great look but if someone decides to go for it well let them do it and move on.

HPM, I'm interested in how you went from slick bald to a wig? Did you wear hats for a while and grow your original hair back using concealers and then got the wig, or go from balding shaved to a wig?

I don't see why people who look and feel good with razoring their head - shouldn't be able to do it. Yes, they maybe 'hiding' it but they are making the best out of a bad situation. I find that a shaved head looks much better than even a 1/2 all over on most people. I tried for a while sporting the 1/2 all over but I still felt concious having dark hair, that you could still see the thinning and receding NW3 so I opted to razor it and of course I still had the receding hairline but it looked better and got more compliments shaving bald, e.g. brings out your eyes.

We should all use the best out of a bad situation. If that's wigs, or if it's touching up our hair with concealers, or if it's shaving. It's about looking our best and hell, even some folk like Pat Stewart look really good with a horseshoe.

Like I said earlier, time to get out there and start chatting up those deli assistants!

Primo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
HairPieceMan said:
i get your meanign of stylistic options for bald men, but you have to admit that socailly once you grow a beard everyone knows why it's there, you basically just admitted you don't like being bald and here is your "solution" to the problem.

i was bald for 2 years, so i know what the tempation is liek to grow a beard, but i forced myself to never do it (like billy corgan never did), because once i did it everyone would know i don't like being bald.

the problem i have with a beard is that everyone knows why it's there, its there to deflect attetion form the problem, its like your trying to disctract people socially. or make up for what you can't do up there for some stuff own here, i knwo it sounds harse but this is how i always felt about those guys.

:shock:

Man you seriously need help? badly!!! What makes you think people even give a sh*t if you have a beard or not?? No one is going to think you're a fuckin "beard compensator", least of all women...

I guarantee that when you meet a woman for the first time, the first thing they'll be thinking is "ugly or hot"? not "oh look he's a beard compensator" this a retarded term that only exists among obsessed Norwood freaks like us, no normal, happy, rational person, thinks along these lines.

Even NW1s grow beards/facial hair because they simply look better than when clean shaven, it's not compensating, it's simply making the best out of what nature has given you....Now wearing a synthetic hairsystem on the otherhand...

HairPieceMan

Reaction score
it's more the suttle social sub-communication.

"i have nothng up here, so i make up for it down here" -- beard compensator

is very different to

"i have nothign up here, im fine with that, its not a problem, i wont do anyything about it" slybald

again different to

"i have hair on top, a NW1, im going to grow a beard now"

even larry david mentioned it in his baldness artical

"The bearded bald man annoys me. That's not a proud bald man. That's
a bald guy who's trying to enhance. He wants to deflect attention away
from the head to the chin. It's subtle, but the message is the same:
I'm bald and I don't like it."

also as i said before im not fussed if hair is legetimeatly growing out of scalp naturally or it has been "stiched" in by a surgeon or its sean on to a see through lace material, hair is hair, if he has hair, he has hair.

also depends on the compensation level, if its beard + horshoe thats REALLY bad, but no hair on top and side + light beard isn't as bad, for example UCMan is very differnt to scott ian, if i saw a scott ian or kerry king type guy id think he's compensating massively, but UCMan isn't soo bad, it looks naatural for him

I defo dont like the greek style stathman look, which is joining horshoe onto the beard, thats really bad imo, becuase its like you have hair absolutiotary everywhere except where it comes, the crown.

it's like massive compensation to a ridiculous level.

this is what im refering to what i say beard compensator, its a pretty big social statement

ALO-01735441985.jpg

also if a girl meets this type of guy above (who has a BIG f*****g MASSIVE beard, differnt to UCMan) shes not going to think "oh maybe he'll shave it off one day becuase im not a fan of ridicuoulsy massive beards which only 0.0000000000000000000000000001% of the male populaiton have and it's usually due to baldness and trying to adapt it to some extreme social style/message", becuase its there for a reason, to compensate for something that he DOESNT like, and its NEVER going away unless he gets a wig and looks normal, or even is just bald and looks normal through slybald, or even just light beard ala UCMan.

ok that guy has a HUGE beard, it doesnt have to be that size but yeah.

i had a guy at my old work who was a beard compensator, tied in with horshoe, was just grown out to number 4 or something, he wasn't "fooling" anyone if you ask me, tht beard isn't there for fun, its there to hold together his face, hes was holding on to that beard as a lifeboat in the deep phycoligcal hell ocean that is male pattern baldness, once the beard is gone BOOM hes an old man.

i saw it, everyone saw it, i can see through his "minor stylistic improvement" which it totally isn't, the whole thing is saving his face from being john locke or some sh*t.

then again this guy was a beard compensator w/ horshoe, the ultimate compensation.

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
The main reason Bald guys feel compelled to compensate is because they are put under much more scrutiny than full heads.

A skinny bald guy is sickly looking while a skinny full head is still seen as cool.

A bald guy dressing fashionably is trying too hard while the full head with trendy clothes is cool.

The bald guy who works out is obviously compensating and is insecure while the buft full head is just admirably health conscious.

EDIT

A bald guy with a beard is obviously compensating and trying to draw attention away from his head while a full head with a beard is just wearing it because he likes it and thats totally fine.

With a shaven head and a clean shaven face I look like a strange manequin, like some bad sci-fi android. It looks strange and unsettling because there is nothing to anchor my face. That is why I wear facial hair. Besides, even if I had hair I would still keep my facial hair the same because that is my PREFERENCE.

But Larry David would scoff at you the most HPM. To him you are the worst and most cowardly of them all.

HairPieceMan

Reaction score
yes i agree.

the problem is both you and I are in the same sh*t hole, i was bald at 22 and i guess i hear you were at 25 or there abouts?

in either way i have literally no choice but to wear hair due to the fact that i look terrible bald + my level of height of 5 4, you can somewhat accept your genetic fate 90% with minor (although very important) compensating, its good you admit its there for a reason though, i mean if you were a NW1 youd be socially comformatble to NOT have a beard right?, becuase it doesn't matter, but with clean bald you NEED and REQUIRE the beard, you probably wont step out the door bald without the beardright? or find it extremely emotionally difficult, so the social need is far greater, so you rely on it.

but what i mean to suggest, without meaning to be offensive is your living in a day and age where you can socailly dodge around A LOT of sh*t you woulndt have got away with 30 years ago, if it was 30 years ago youd be all horshoed to f*** and all im illustrating is that that is true bald that people like you or me had to endure throughout time of human history, and we are lucky to be able to dodge round this sh*t and look socially acceptable, even though its a "hiding/compensating" type thing people are doing with the daily shaving + beards etc.

but we must still admit that we are - in affect - hiding/compensating to achive a more socailly acceptable look, and true baldness has never been socialy acceptable, we're meant to look like old men/baffoons in 20s.

I mean i did it to , for 2 years, shaving my horshoe, hopeing to god no one would see my hairline, i lived that life, it was sh*t, maybe if i was taller and looked a little better bald it might not be soo bad.

but its good we admit it though, we are both fucked genetically but there is some escape.

unfortunetly i don't have that luxury that you have to accept my scalp fate, nothign can salvage my face from the destructive force that is male pattern baldness + in combination with male height i suppose (im sure you maybe would have worn hair if you were 5 4 instead of 6 2?)

but in either case my face just CAN NOT handle that destructive force, i basically become an auto-freak instantly as soon as i have zero hair, likely due to height in combination with an E.T. type look, and not being able to find any dress code to work with it as well.

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
You can do what you like but please don't criticize others methods for dealing with baldness while doing so.... because as soon as you do you become a hippocrite.

HairPieceMan

Reaction score
your not getting it.

what im saying is that your compensations are VISUAL to people.

when people see someone like joe satriani they KNOW why the shades are on 24/7, its OBVIOUS, its there for a reason, becuase your insecure about how you look being bald (and fake bald not true bald ala horshoe).

if satch wore hair like other musicians have done then visually it would not be a problem.

can you imagine elton john being slybald and wearing shades ALL THE TIME when on stage then when he is off stage he takes off the shades then puts on hats to socially interact with people.

that is a guy with a clear social problem, thats really...f*****g...wierd, socially thats a dual compensator(shades on stage, hats off stage, ocassionally full bald for some random low key events)

you cant tell me that a man in that position is not projectoring to the world he is in pain, socially, visually for all to see?

so say satch is like hiding in fake baldness like larry david would put it, not REAL bald and then he is putting on shades to compensate.

its a double whammy socially OBVIOUS thing.

but WEARING hair is entirely different, becuase socially its just a guy with hair and he is happy being who he wants to be, the old singer form iron maiden wore a wig and no one knew or really cared, what they saw was a man who was happy being who he wanted to be.

what im saying is the social message to say having a massive beard is like SIMILAR to the hat prisoner, its just the problem is on show and the solution is down below, its clear for all to see.

but when im out as a hair system wearer im just a guy with hair, there is no social remifications to that.

the statham look for example looks totally retared, its major compensation, its REALLY socailly obvious 24/7 to all men and women that almost all hair is everywhere accept the crown, so he's adopted something far greater than a mere styling improvement, hes relying on his compensation to NEGATE and solve the problem (which he has admited is a problem in the first place with the compensation)

that is why i prefered the "bald without the bullshit "approach by billy corgan, even though it looked like crap on myself for 2 years especially being 5 4, but to me i wasn't willing to compensate and socially to not liek being bald...it takes much more mental strength but i beleive it was worth it in the end.

yes i realise by wearing hair im admitting to not like being bald, but at least i embrace who i want to be (long hair, short hair, whatever) rather than growing a 5 inch beard and getting permanent tatoos up my back head like kerry king or being a dual shades/hats compensator such as satch.

the only guy i can think of is billy corgan as the true "fake" bald guy out there, scot ian, kerry king, joe satch are all compensators of beards or shades.

its a similar thing as hat prisoners tom morello or fred durst.

its more hiding, more compensation, more dodging.

its like a whole new category of guys, you cant put it like your all the same guy mentality, what if patrick stewart had a big beard like kerry king? and tatoos up his back hea, the guy would look completely different and the soical message would be entirely different, its not like a mild image change, these things totally change the ball game for a bald man.

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
You're evading.

Primo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
He doesn't deserve more than a two word reply, he keeps contradicting himself, saying bald men with beards are compensating, yet he wears a hair system himself?? :roll:

I'm a NW2-3 & I love rocking the facial hair, not to compensate for my receded temples, but just because I have a fat face and simply look better and more balanced with facial hair, it's that simple. My brother is a NW1 and he wore a groomed beard to his wedding because once again it's widely acknowledged he just looks better than with clean shaven. Most men, unless they have that classic looking jawline, do not pull off the clean shaven look at all.

Why make yourself look as sh*t as possible in public? People will not give you any respect for it, or think "oh I really admire that guy, he's trying really hard not to compensate for his hairloss, what a hero!" ...

People look at the likes of Pitbull or Statham as cool stars and sex symbols not sad, desperate "compensators".

HPM's perception is completely warped, he needs help.

kejan

Established Member
Reaction score
Beards can and do look great on a lot of men. I don't think anyone thinks ''he's hiding a fat face under that''. I'm not lucky enough to have a full on facial hair, most of mine grows under my chin and around the jaw line.

My best friend also wear a full beard to his own wedding. He's NW1 but thinning but he looks much better with it and his beard is a ginger/blonde colour.

CaptainForehead

Reaction score
HairPieceMan said:
even larry david mentioned it in his baldness artical

"The bearded bald man annoys me. That's not a proud bald man. That's
a bald guy who's trying to enhance. He wants to deflect attention away
from the head to the chin. It's subtle, but the message is the same:
I'm bald and I don't like it."

That is an utter load of crap.
Men have hair on head and on face naturally. I could as well say that NW1s who shave facial hair are not proud men, they are trying to pretend to be adolescent teenage boys.

Given that I cannot pretend to be an adolescent teenage boy due to my lack of hair, I'd rather prefer to be an uber-masculine man. And what are the symbols of masculine men? Facial hair, and muscles. If I shave, I look like a baby. I'd rather look like a man than pretend to be a baby.

Suck on that Larry David. You shave your facial hair, and yet disparage men who shave their top hair. You sir are a hypocrite.

PS: I quite the look of:
http://www.cineclub.de/images/2004/09/hellboy-3.jpg

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
Anyone who calls bald guys fake while wearing a hair system is delusional.

ghg

My Regimen
Reaction score
Lol HPM is really getting out of control :D. "Fake bald"? And I don't think that anyone except you thinks that Satriani is somehow hiding his baldness by wearing glasses. I mean, wtf, how is that hiding it? Wearing a wig is hiding it. Anyway, maybe we should ban hats, muscles, sunglasses and beards from everyone? I think it's unfair that only ppl with hair can sport those...

Which Iron Maiden singer are you talking about btw? Paul Di'Anno or Blaze Bayley? Both are shaved bald now and Bayley was clearly balding when he was with Iron Maiden.

HairPieceMan

Reaction score
actually my views are similar to larry davids.

larry shaves his facial hair because he would be a beard compensator if he grew it out, he woulnd't be true bald.

IF YOU RELY on facial hair to achieve a more socialy acceptable look you are compensating, your "afraid" of showing your true self...you are not prou (thank you larry)

me and larry are in agreement, the bearded bald man annoys both of us.

larry doesnt like wig wearers, my thoughts are although its not the best option is the only option to not be seen 24/7 hiding/compensating like the non true balds VISUALLY convey.

i beleive the best thing to do is 1. be TRUE bald or 2. wear wig, becuase anything in between is hiding/compensating as larry woul put it, we dont like them.

i have zero respect for people who have ZERO hair and claim that they have embraced their baldness and that they are soo confidennt, when in fact its a far cry away from horshoe.

im also fully aware that i am true bald underneath but since its not on show its kindof irrevant.

both me and larry DO NOT like the hiders/compensators (either stand alone goutee, or stand alone beard, or beard joined on to horshoe, or shades compensator, or whatever they will come up with next) same f*****g social message, bald and DONT like it,

your saying that the social mesage the phony balds do is "im bald and ok with it im just doing some clean up to make it more presentable", well me and larry disagree.

fact is scott ian looks COOL....right, or at least somewhat, male pattern baldness is NOT supposed to have a "get out of jail free" card, dudemon will attest to what it was like in the 1980s, the social hell of horshoe, in comparison to what scott ian did, its MASSIVE, its not a mild clean up, its an entirely different social message.

kejan

Established Member
Reaction score
HPM - You need to turn some of that hating into loving.

Who cares what people wear if it's a beard with a bald-head or what. Everyone is different.
What clothes do you not like seeing on a man? Or more specific, a bald man? I take it check shirts are out the window then for a NW5?

Why not just not care what people wear. Some people will look great with a beard and a bald head, and if they do, why don't they maximise their look? They've already been dealt with the cruel nature of hairloss.

You are compensating by wearing a wig and heels. Most people want to look sharp and at their best and good luck to them. If you find a style or a look you are happy with and been complimented on, I can see why you should continue it.

There was a while back I was bitter for a few weeks/months about my hairloss and then I realised, it was turning me into an angry and anti-social young man.

I don't know if you have a girlfriend but focus on your own self-confidence and maybe hopefully you'll start to see the world in a different fresher light.

CaptainForehead

Reaction score
HairPieceMan said:
IF YOU RELY on facial hair to achieve a more socialy acceptable look you are compensating, your "afraid" of showing your true self...you are not prou (thank you larry)

If you shave your beard, you are not showing your true self. Nature gave men beards. That IS the true self.

HairPieceMan

Reaction score
i do not hait the world or myself, or anything really.

the WIG is NOT compensating, viasually it appears as though i have hair, its not the same social message as a hider/compensator, as that is on display 24/7.

there is a social difference between kerry king with his massive beard and tatoo compensator versus elton john with his wig, in elton john example (provided he is regular guy in bar) 99% of people dont know or care to know and it makes no difference, he has hair, end of story, but people would look at a man like kerry king (provided he was not kerry king of slayer, just a regular guy in a bar) as if he had some sort of mental problem to go to such extremes to mask the general bald look, and its obvious its not the look he wants becuase he cant grow his hair like he did a few years before the bald head + massive beard + huge tatoos

nerdwood

Established Member
Reaction score
HairPieceMan said:
i was bald for 2 years, so i know what the tempation is liek to grow a beard, but i forced myself to never do it (like billy corgan never did), because once i did it everyone would know i don't like being bald.

Google Billy Corgan and you will see plenty of pics of him "compensating" with beards and hats.