Baldies and the reason they have to be buff

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
Brokenwall said:
Second, how is working out compensating for being bald ? You become healthier , you develop good habits. For the record I used to work out even when i had hair.

It's just something that people are conditioned to assume when they see a buft bald guy. In chatrooms, I've heard women say that a bald head should be accompanied by a good body or as long as he takes good care of himself so many women also accept and expect this kind of compensation. Most of the time I've seen a bald guy with a "hot" girl, the guy was ripped... just sayin. The usual trite solutions to baldness, get buft, get tan and dress like a GQ model don't really suit my style though.

HairPieceMan

Reaction score
its more than social conditioning.

i think it's evolutionary calibrated.

for some reason when I was bald i kept thinking i should be bigger, have big muscles becuase the shaved head resembles a masculine thing, it can be positive but it needs to be accompanied by a certain physite both in body an face (chistled jaw), so NOT baby "cute" face and not ripped body.

so to me baldness looks out of place on most caucasians becase it doesnt "fit" in socially unless it comes with these things.

if it doesn't then you become the guy that is missing something VERY IMPORTANT.

but sometimes it makes no ifference liek stone cold steve austin still looks like garbage when i watched the expandables, but he i have that "i have a reason for no hair" type vibe for him, he still looked unnatractive though.

i can;t imagine many women pictureing their ideal husband to be stone cold steve autstin.

its more a funny stereotype that compliments baldness to make it seem more socailly acceptable in caucasians.

obious if your black or a senior citizen none of this .

CaptainForehead

Reaction score
HairPieceMan said:
its more than social conditioning.

i think it's evolutionary calibrated.

for some reason when I was bald i kept thinking i should be bigger, have big muscles becuase the shaved head resembles a masculine thing, it can be positive but it needs to be accompanied by a certain physite both in body an face (chistled jaw), so NOT baby "cute" face and not ripped body.

so to me baldness looks out of place on most caucasians becase it doesnt "fit" in socially unless it comes with these things.

if it doesn't then you become the guy that is missing something VERY IMPORTANT.

its more a funny stereotype that compliments baldness to make it seem more socailly acceptable in caucasians.

obious if your black or a senior citizen none of this .

Regarding your bald ok on blacks view, I read an interesting viewpoint on this. The author opinion was as in your first part of the quote --- that it is masculine, and to make things "fit" there need to be certain facial features (I agree). Then, his hypothesis on why most blacks look fine bald was that black males have these strong masculine features. So it isnt the color that makes them suited for the bald look, rather the masculine facial features. Like Patrick Stewart.

HairPieceMan

Reaction score
welll that's certainly a valid point to make.

but then again there are 10 year old black kids with a cute baby face that look far more socialyl acceptable than a 30 yr old white bald guy with "some" masculine features but isn't quite there yet, certainly no where near a typical 10 year old black kid.

at the end of the day there are hardly any white males with masculine facial features that go genetically bald at the same time.

it's so rare most bal white guys are tagged "the bal guy" before most women even look at his facial features.

and i think as you reach 45 it will be hard to keep this "I look alright" bald type look...becuas eyour face will go and most 45 year olds will now look better than you, making mate keeping pretty hard unless your aiming for the large variety girls.

i think the whole manly look thing works for a buzz cut, and being bald isnt far away from that, if your cute with your wavy NW1 locks and remove them you can be insta-freak bald (examples brad pitt/robert patterson bald mockups)

CaptainForehead

Reaction score

imlosinit

Established Member
Reaction score
HairPieceMan said:
ffs satch and stipe are NOT "aged" men.

billy corgan - bald late 20s
michael stipe - bald early 30s
joe satriani - bald late 30s

Get your facts straight:

Corgan 44
Stipe is 51
Satch is 55

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
As far as black guys go, who says both ideas are mutually exclusive. It's probably both.

But to get to the heart of the issue. Baldness is for the most part seen as physical weakness. Getting buft is simply a response to counter that perception.

s.a.f

Reaction score
http://www.baldproducts.com/Male_Baldness.htm

Man, some of the older ones like Leno, Clinton Harrison Ford, Kurt Russell and Tom Hanks really go from looking quite healthy to looking like 80 yr old men in the retirement home.
I guess the slick look looks better on young guys who can pass it off as being Bald by choice.

HairPieceMan

Reaction score
im totally fucked

as a young adult without my toupey i look like an alien that crash landed here from planet mars.

as i enter midle aged man peer group i will look like a senior citizen and 10x worse (like tom hanks).

except ihave the added bonus of being almost 5 5 (5 8 in lifts)

I literally have no choice but to wear hair to make me look normal, i wish things were different in life, i wish it was a normal life.

T

TravisB

People from that site who would look good bald (I'm not saying better than with hair, but they could pull it off well):

-Brad Pitt
-David Hasselhoff
-Guy under Jack Nicholson (he's practically bald either way)
-Jude Law
-Keanu Reeves
-Guy two places under Keanu Reeves
-Guy under Matt Damon
-Guy two places under Matt Damon
-Matt LeBlanc
-Guy under Prince William
-Last guy under Tom Hanks

HairPieceMan

Reaction score
i think having no hair at all on a guy who is young can be a interesting fashion statement to make.

but when you KNOW why your're doing it then it's a little differnet becuase you dont have the choice for hair.

that is why a lot of people will tell just be fully bald , becuase its not like in the past where you had horshoe ring and combover where young 20-30 somethign men were panacking a lot about being granpa hair at 25-35.

but its not ideal becuase your trapped lookign the same all the time and it still sucks over having hair, your still bald.

imlosinit

Established Member
Reaction score
It seems that there's greater attention focused on the shape of a person's nose when they're bald as opposed to when they have hair.

Is nose shape a reliable predictor of success as a bald guy?

Ori83

Experienced Member
Reaction score
imlosinit said:
It seems that there's greater attention focused on the shape of a person's nose when they're bald as opposed to when they have hair.

Is nose shape a reliable predictor of success as a bald guy?

Yes! i've noticed that too! :) i even thought of fixing mine due to it. i never noticed mine untill my hair loss reached nw4~...

CaptainForehead

Reaction score
Rival said:
Collin Farrell has shaved his head and he looks a hell of a lot better than on that site.
man_hair_style_colin%20farrell_2.jpg

Unless having a stubble really does make a difference.

Actually it does. If you notice the pic on the website, his expression is a bit apprehensive; and bald he seems a bit unmanly. A bit unmanly + non-masculine expression = disaster.

in your posted pic, his expression is confident. He has a beard to make his look more masculine. Also he has a clear hair outline. Thus, combined effect is that he looks good.

The point is that the only look suited for baldies is the masculine one.

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
Rival said:
Unless having a stubble really does make a difference.

It does.

HairPieceMan

Reaction score
stuble = not in the social stigma of being bald + framing you're face + social sign that you HAVE THE CHOICE for hair (not genetically inferior) etc.

fact is thesocial cues for stuble are not related to being bald, its two ifferent worlds.

maybe stuble is generally seen as less attractive instead of a full head of hair (beckham and wentworth miller are rare cases).

but in either case its not the same, you'll just be lesser attrwctive with stuble but its not bald, no one will call you bad things if you have stuble, if wayne rooney had stuble @ 22 no one would say a peep to him and he'd live a normal life of a 22 year old like 95% of his peer group (or whatever)

bigentries

Established Member
Reaction score
HairPieceMan said:
maybe stuble is generally seen as less attractive instead of a full head of hair (beckham and wentworth miller are rare cases).
From the amount of young white kids I see wearing a stubble these days, I hardly believe they are seen as less attractive anymore.
Today's haircuts are extremely short compared to the past. At least for "tough" guys. Not white kids that listen to this new bubble gum hip hop

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
I've heard many women make the distinction between bald by choice (no such thing BTW) and genetically bald... always preferring the former when asked the question "are bald guys sexy".

HairPieceMan

Reaction score
how the hell is a girls supposed ot know of your bald by choice or bald by nature?

s.a.f

Reaction score
HairPieceMan said:
how the hell is a girls supposed ot know of your bald by choice or bald by nature?

Duh, because BBC guys have a full head of stubble shadow like Farrell in those pics or the Prison Break guy. Whilst real bald guys have a cueball shiney slick dome like Bruce Willis.