All 5mg Oral Minoxidil Users, Please Read

Joe1111

My Regimen
Reaction score
However, I've been monitoring my blood pressure in these 40 days of topical minoxidil and has no changed. I had some issues during the summer because of blood pressure but I was not eating enough

Joe1111

My Regimen
Reaction score
@pegasus2 @michel sapin
Correct me if i am wrong but all sides from OM are pretty temporary. Puffy eyes/face are from water retention, dark circles are from collagen depletion, and face/body hair from OM. All of these from what I understand return back to normal after discontinuation, assuming its harder to recover collagen production after 25yo though. I will though go back to the threat by idealforehead i think that goes over it.
Where do you get OM from?

Equal Rights

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Where do you get OM from?
I get mine prescribed by my family doctor. When I had the call with him and asked for oral minoxidil, he had no clue what it was and that it existed at all. But he looked through their system and i guess was able to find Loniten Minoxidil tablets at 2.5mg, now I just pick them up at Costco. See if your doctor can find them in the pharmacy system as he/she most likely wont know of them. I didnt read your reason for going to OM, but you could add microneedling + tretinoin for a much stronger effect of topical min + synergies.

Joe1111

My Regimen
Reaction score
I get mine prescribed by my family doctor. When I had the call with him and asked for oral minoxidil, he had no clue what it was and that it existed at all. But he looked through their system and i guess was able to find Loniten Minoxidil tablets at 2.5mg, now I just pick them up at Costco. See if your doctor can find them in the pharmacy system as he/she most likely wont know of them. I didnt read your reason for going to OM, but you could add microneedling + tretinoin for a much stronger effect of topical min + synergies.
Here in Italy doctors are afraid to prescribe anything so I'm looking into thailandpharmacy. I'm on spironolactone cause I'm a woman, I'm at 50 mg right now (this was prescribed by my endocrinologist), on fina 2.5 mg and on topical minoxidil + dermarolling. I'm 40 days in I've not seen relevant results.. as a woman I'm very desperate and this is leading me to suicide, no joke, I just want my hair back and I want to see results.

Joe1111

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've read about women having results with 0.50 mg of oral minoxidil, so I was looking into that dosage

Equal Rights

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I've read about women having results with 0.50 mg of oral minoxidil, so I was looking into that dosage
Dont worry too much!!! Be hopeful at the very least for the next 6 months on your current regimen. If you just started then you could have great results in that period, even 3months is too early to tell. You can also check out posts by bridgeburn and janeyelizabeth, as they have been dabbling in the hormonal space, with bridgeburn achieving incredible results. Another user I really liked the regimen of is peguses2, he is more focused on safety for men though. There is a woman on here who has tried EVERYTHING as she said, but i dont quite remember her username. Just know that you are far from hopelessness as this forum is massive and I am sure you will most likely find something that works for you! Atm add oral castor oil 5ml/day to the mix lol.

Rysteve93

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Oh ok. Do you think you made the most gains in that year and a half on dutasteride or in the 5 months with oral minoxidil?

I tried avodart before finasteride actually and i didnt like it i think finasteride worked better. Been on oral min for 8 months now. Onyl 2 months on 5mg though

Avodart definitely stopped me losing hair, oral minoxidil has made it a lot thicker. I think both compliment each other.

Flamingflaps

Established Member
Reaction score
@pegasus2 @michel sapin
Correct me if i am wrong but all sides from OM are pretty temporary. Puffy eyes/face are from water retention, dark circles are from collagen depletion, and face/body hair from OM. All of these from what I understand return back to normal after discontinuation, assuming its harder to recover collagen production after 25yo though. I will though go back to the threat by idealforehead i think that goes over it.

I don't think dark cycles are from collagen depletion. As far as I understand it, the circles are from water retention... we aren't even sure that collagen depletion occurs with low dose oral minoxidil.

Equal Rights

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't think dark cycles are from collagen depletion. As far as I understand it, the circles are from water retention... we aren't even sure that collagen depletion occurs with low dose oral minoxidil.
https://www.hairlosstalk.com/intera...ol-will-make-your-face-look-like-sh-t.109593/

Old threat, but apparently Min partially works the same way as castor oil (castor oil effects one of the receptors instead), by increasing PGE2 which in turn reduces the collagen production leading to wrinkles and dark circles. I am 2.5month in on 5mg OM daily and yesterday I noticed a slight development of dark circle, although its hard to say whether I'm exaggerating or not. Promoting PGF2a also seems to have pro-aging effects by inducing muscle and fat atrophy. Fatty degeneration and reduced collagen fibers in the [eye muscles] caused by the prostaglandin or prostamide analogs." (ref) Such changes may be "irreversible (ref).

I would to hear if people on OM were able to reverse dark circles after long-term use. Hoping I can minimize dark circles if they do develop by lowering the dosage to 2.5mg.

Also curious if people ever tried taking collagen supplements with OM, and microneedling the face to heal the wrinkles (vampire facials) and water pills to reduce water retention. I think I remember from peguses2 regimen, one of the compounds he takes is a diuretic and would help others with water retention that they may have.

Last edited:

Flamingflaps

Established Member
Reaction score
https://www.hairlosstalk.com/intera...ol-will-make-your-face-look-like-sh-t.109593/

Old threat, but apparently Min partially works the same way as castor oil (castor oil effects one of the receptors instead), by increasing PGE2 which in turn reduces the collagen production leading to wrinkles and dark circles. I am 2.5month in on 5mg OM daily and yesterday I noticed a slight development of dark circle, although its hard to say whether I'm exaggerating or not. Promoting PGF2a also seems to have pro-aging effects by inducing muscle and fat atrophy. Fatty degeneration and reduced collagen fibers in the [eye muscles] caused by the prostaglandin or prostamide analogs." (ref) Such changes may be "irreversible (ref).

Thanks for the info. This is a serious concern for me and I'm not sure what to do now. May have to give up on any regrowth.

Joe1111

My Regimen
Reaction score
Can someone help me? I can't find a single website that ships oral minoxidil to Italy. I don't know that to do

Rysteve93

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You didnt like finasteride did you?

Any shed with avodart?

I did like it for about 6 months maybe even one year then I lost a lot of ground in a few months(diffuse thinning all over). Yes big shed with avodart think a month or two into it.

Do you use dht blocker?

Flamingflaps

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm not really understanding something here regarding systemic absorption of topical minoxidil. So apparently a standard topical dose to the entire scalp can result in 2.4mg to 5.4mg of systemic absorption. Is this actually the case? If so, a sub 5mg oral dose should be just as safe as a topical application from both a cardiovascular and skin/collagen standpoint.

Am I missing something here?

badhabiz

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm not really understanding something here regarding systemic absorption of topical minoxidil. So apparently a standard topical dose to the entire scalp can result in 2.4mg to 5.4mg of systemic absorption. Is this actually the case? If so, a sub 5mg oral dose should be just as safe as a topical application from both a cardiovascular and skin/collagen standpoint.

Am I missing something here?
nope, beside the fact that sulfrotransferase enzyme is much more present in the liver than in the skin, and you might (or not) be responding to the sulfation of minixidil better with the oral.
that why some docs prescribe both.
its not always a matter of quantity...

Joe1111

My Regimen
Reaction score
When someone can see the very first results with topical if it's working? I've heard that if you don't see nothing in the first 2 months then you are screwed

Flamingflaps

Established Member
Reaction score
nope, beside the fact that sulfrotransferase enzyme is much more present in the liver than in the skin, and you might (or not) be responding to the sulfation of minixidil better with the oral.
that why some docs prescribe both.
its not always a matter of quantity...

So why does oral minoxidil appear to have more side effects than topical if topical use results in similar levels of the substance in our bodies?

When someone can see the very first results with topical if it's working? I've heard that if you don't see nothing in the first 2 months then you are screwed

2 months is a little early. At least 3 and quite likely longer until you notice anything. Shouldn't be losing any hope until 6 months have passed.

Rysteve93

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

everyone’s different. Give any hair loss medication at least 6 months before you give evaluation. Improvement before is just a good responder/lucky. - in my opinion.