tomJ

My Regimen
Reaction score
Ok gotcha. Didn't know you were willing to stay on the minoxidil. Good luck

Bill_Russo

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Dude, I am almost here for a decade. I probably have read hundreds of cases like this and it never EVER worked. I am only trying to help you by saying that your plan will not work. Sure, that might not be what you want to read but it is the truth regardless.

Good luck.
Then you must've missed Kitedude's case, which I posted a page back.
Used Minoxidil for 6 months, along with needling. Then dropped it and kept needling for 5 years + scalp exercises, somewhat consistently. Kept all his gains up until he stopped needling recently because he got lazy. Only THEN he noticed his hairline was thinning and resumed microneedling.
What do you think?

Francesco17

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
8 years sh*t son, i always thought one mechanism of action behind minoxidil is it's ability to inhibit collagen formation. Most people consider this a bad thing, and it would be if it goes too systematic or spreads to the face, but if fibrosis is indeed made up of excess collagen then it may explain your rapid regrowth. Keep at it man

But doesn't needling promote collagen production?

Capone

My Regimen
Reaction score
More f*****g guesswork. I try to make a valid argument and simpletons just come back with the same regurgitated sh*t. Public forums are a joke
Wow, there’s really no need for all the abuse! We all have the agenda here. You need to relax. You’ve only became a member since last Wednesday, stop acting all high and mighty.

Hairyshowers

My Regimen
Reaction score
Wow, there’s really no need for all the abuse! We all have the agenda here. You need to relax. You’ve only became a member since last Wednesday, stop acting all high and mighty.
I've made valid points, people just come back with the same stupid comments and no counter arguments. "Won't work", "wounding doesn't work", "hair is dependent on minoxidil". Fine if you have a point to make, otherwise people are wasting space here.
I was watching this forum since the original dermarolling thread and had another account back then. Plus on immortalhair, plus stopaga, plus baldtruthtaIk. You have time to read through this crap fine, I don't have the patience sorry. I want a place to discuss hair restoration without time wasting.
You may have the patience for these people who can't read a page before asking the same questions or repeat the same thing they've read from another closed minded monkey, but I don't.

I saw the same close minded people in the last thread deter the people actually trialling new methods. People actually getting results were all forced away to private forums, hence the lack of long term wounding reports here.
I'm not trying to be "high and mighty", I'm trying to add something constructive as someone with more experience than most with wounding.
Anyway fuckit Im gone, Ive contributed much more back to the community than most and would have shared undeniable photos of regrowth from dermarolling ALONE if I could access stopaga. There's probably 30 progress pics up there, clear comparisons of difference in bleeding between rolls, photos of the way I massaged, everything.
Good luck to the people actually trialling this, it works, and probably better than any other single treatment we have ever seen.
Over and out

albert

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I've made valid points, people just come back with the same stupid comments and no counter arguments. "Won't work", "wounding doesn't work", "hair is dependent on minoxidil". Fine if you have a point to make, otherwise people are wasting space here.
I was watching this forum since the original dermarolling thread and had another account back then. Plus on immortalhair, plus stopaga, plus baldtruthtaIk. You have time to read through this crap fine, I don't have the patience sorry. I want a place to discuss hair restoration without time wasting.
You may have the patience for these people who can't read a page before asking the same questions or repeat the same thing they've read from another closed minded monkey, but I don't.

I saw the same close minded people in the last thread deter the people actually trialling new methods. People actually getting results were all forced away to private forums, hence the lack of long term wounding reports here.
I'm not trying to be "high and mighty", I'm trying to add something constructive as someone with more experience than most with wounding.
Anyway fuckit Im gone, Ive contributed much more back to the community than most and would have shared undeniable photos of regrowth from dermarolling ALONE if I could access stopaga. There's probably 30 progress pics up there, clear comparisons of difference in bleeding between rolls, photos of the way I massaged, everything.
Good luck to the people actually trialling this, it works, and probably better than any other single treatment we have ever seen.
Over and out

Sorry to see you go. Just letting you know I completely agree with your points. I just hope nobody gets discouraged by other people making useless points like “won’t work” despite evidence. Skepticism is great, but providing no background to support one’s point is indeed wasting everyone’s time and energy. Wish mods would be a bit more proactive with such people, but whatever. When you start getting results you stop caring and just reply to people who are genuinely interested.

Capone

My Regimen
Reaction score

Over and out
I understand you’re frustrated but calling people simpletons isn’t really fair. Some new members aren’t very experienced and feel the need to ask questions, questions which you find boring/repetitive. Congratulations on your regrowth, though.

Bill_Russo

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Over and out
Albeit a bit harsh, I see where you're coming from and can't really blame you for wanting out. Just know that I'm starting next week and your experience motivated me a lot.
It'd be nice if you could come back to report whether you kept the results Minoxidil gave you with microneedling alone.
Good luck, man.

Last edited:

Bill_Russo

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Inalso think that atoppist minoxidil won't work. You can try it, but it won't.
Based on what, exactly? I am not saying you're wrong, but this is what Hairyshowers means. Have you seen anyone trying this before?
The one case I know about is, for the third time, Kitedude's:
Used Minoxidil for 6 months, along with needling. Then dropped it and kept needling for 5 years + scalp exercises, somewhat consistently. Kept all his gains up until he stopped needling recently because he got lazy. Only THEN he noticed his hairline was thinning and resumed microneedling.

MKP05

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have a few questions. Even if you can answer only one of the questions it would be appreciated.

1) Is anyone trying this at the hairline/temples only and,if so, how is it working out?

2) Is anyone needling at lesser depths in between wounding sessions for minoxidil absorption?

3) How many hours/days after wounding before your scalp appears “normal” again (ie if your routine is Friday nights are you wearing hats all weekend or is it less noticeable 12-24 hours later)?

4) Assuming you are doing it correctly, is there any way needling can worsen your condibtion (i.e. shred/pull out the hair you have)?

I’ve been following this thread semi regularly for a few weeks and there’s so much great commentary each day ....so apologies if any of what I’ve asked was already covered.

I’ve ordered a derminator 2 but it may take a couple of months to be delivered (according to their site). I plan on using at the temples and hairline with minoxidil and tracking my progress to see if I get any gains before committing to the entire scalp which is now diffuse but still covered with long hair. I figure I’ll stick to the routine better with shorter and hopefully less painful sessions and then reassess my situation every 3 months. I also plan to stay on finas for another 6 months at least although it’s my belief that it’s done far more damage to my hair than good.

MinervaCGI

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Interesting

For people with thinning hair the idea of plucking out the few strands that remain may fill them with horror.

However, a new study suggests that pulling out the lingering follicles could stimulate the scalp into a burst of regeneration which not only replaces the missing hair but triggers a widespread spurt of regrowth.

Researchers at the University of California were amazed to find that plucking out 200 hairs in a small area prompted 1,200 replacement hairs to grow.

And the regrowth was not confined to the plucking area, but spread out into neighbouring parts of the scalp, boosting hair volume.

Although the treatment might seem extreme, and has so far only been shown to work in mice, scientists believe the discovery could lead to the creating of drugs or therapies which mimic the effect of plucking.

"The work leads to potential new targets for treating alopecia, a form of hair loss," said Cheng-Ming Chuong Professor of pathology at the Keck School of Medicine of the University of Southern California.

"It is a good example of how basic research can lead to a work with potential translational value.”

Previous research by dermatologists had shown that when hair follicles are damaged it affects the adjacent skin and tissue and influence hair regeneration. It is the reason that vigorously massaging the scalp is recommended, for hair growth.

To test whether they it was possible to stimulate the scalp enough so that follicle growth was activated, the researchers plucked 200 follicles, one by one, from the back of a mouse.

When the area was more than 6mm, nothing happened. But scientists discovered that if plucking area was kept below 5mm, the hairs not only grew back but regrew in greater abundance in the plucked area and outside of it.

Plucking from circular areas with diameters between three and five millimeters triggered the regeneration of between 450 and 1,300 hairs.

Through molecular analyses, the team showed that these plucked follicles signal distress by releasing inflammatory proteins, which recruit immune cells to rush to the site of the injury.

These immune cells then secrete signalling molecules which communicate to both plucked and unplucked follicles telling them that it's time to grow hair.

It works on the principle of "quorum sensing," in which an entire system responds to stimuli that affect some, but not all members. It explains how social animals like ants and bees work together as one entity.

In this case, quorum sensing underlies how the hair follicle system responds to the plucking of some, but not all hairs.

And scientists think that the effect may not be confined to just hair. There is a chance that causing slight damage to other organs or parts of the body may stimulate a burst of regrowth.

"The implication of the work is that parallel processes may also exist in the physiological or pathogenic processes of other organs, although they are not as easily observed as hair regeneration,” added Prof Chuong.

Dr Bessam Farjo, founder of the Farjo Hair Institute and Medical Director of the Institute of Trichologists, said: “Hair loss affects millions of people in the UK, whether it’s caused by male or female-pattern baldness, alopecia areata or other issues, such as hair shedding.

“Whilst it’s certainly interesting to see the results of this study in mice, all previous observations suggest that repeatedly plucking a human hair follicle will weaken the root, and eventually cause the follicle to die. People pluck hairs – such as eyebrows – out all the time, and it doesn’t seem to stimulate the growth of other hairs.

“It’s great to see scientists putting resource to studies of this sort, but more scientific tests and human evidence are needed to substantiate the findings of this initial report.”

The research was published in the journal Cell.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/sc...sts-find-plucking-stimulates-huge-growth.html

albert

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Interesting

For people with thinning hair the idea of plucking out the few strands that remain may fill them with horror.

However, a new study suggests that pulling out the lingering follicles could stimulate the scalp into a burst of regeneration which not only replaces the missing hair but triggers a widespread spurt of regrowth.

Researchers at the University of California were amazed to find that plucking out 200 hairs in a small area prompted 1,200 replacement hairs to grow.

And the regrowth was not confined to the plucking area, but spread out into neighbouring parts of the scalp, boosting hair volume.

Although the treatment might seem extreme, and has so far only been shown to work in mice, scientists believe the discovery could lead to the creating of drugs or therapies which mimic the effect of plucking.

"The work leads to potential new targets for treating alopecia, a form of hair loss," said Cheng-Ming Chuong Professor of pathology at the Keck School of Medicine of the University of Southern California.

"It is a good example of how basic research can lead to a work with potential translational value.”

Previous research by dermatologists had shown that when hair follicles are damaged it affects the adjacent skin and tissue and influence hair regeneration. It is the reason that vigorously massaging the scalp is recommended, for hair growth.

To test whether they it was possible to stimulate the scalp enough so that follicle growth was activated, the researchers plucked 200 follicles, one by one, from the back of a mouse.

When the area was more than 6mm, nothing happened. But scientists discovered that if plucking area was kept below 5mm, the hairs not only grew back but regrew in greater abundance in the plucked area and outside of it.

Plucking from circular areas with diameters between three and five millimeters triggered the regeneration of between 450 and 1,300 hairs.

Through molecular analyses, the team showed that these plucked follicles signal distress by releasing inflammatory proteins, which recruit immune cells to rush to the site of the injury.

These immune cells then secrete signalling molecules which communicate to both plucked and unplucked follicles telling them that it's time to grow hair.

It works on the principle of "quorum sensing," in which an entire system responds to stimuli that affect some, but not all members. It explains how social animals like ants and bees work together as one entity.

In this case, quorum sensing underlies how the hair follicle system responds to the plucking of some, but not all hairs.

And scientists think that the effect may not be confined to just hair. There is a chance that causing slight damage to other organs or parts of the body may stimulate a burst of regrowth.

"The implication of the work is that parallel processes may also exist in the physiological or pathogenic processes of other organs, although they are not as easily observed as hair regeneration,” added Prof Chuong.

Dr Bessam Farjo, founder of the Farjo Hair Institute and Medical Director of the Institute of Trichologists, said: “Hair loss affects millions of people in the UK, whether it’s caused by male or female-pattern baldness, alopecia areata or other issues, such as hair shedding.

“Whilst it’s certainly interesting to see the results of this study in mice, all previous observations suggest that repeatedly plucking a human hair follicle will weaken the root, and eventually cause the follicle to die. People pluck hairs – such as eyebrows – out all the time, and it doesn’t seem to stimulate the growth of other hairs.

“It’s great to see scientists putting resource to studies of this sort, but more scientific tests and human evidence are needed to substantiate the findings of this initial report.”

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/sc...sts-find-plucking-stimulates-huge-growth.html

We discussed this in SAGA (RIP) and I tried it in small areas (same as in the study) and result was nothing. I think it’s not doable for anyone balding more than Norwood 0.5 since it’d take forever, would be impractical to maintain, etc. Wounding as we do is definitely much easier and targets the whole area at once.

Headdy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have a few questions. Even if you can answer only one of the questions it would be appreciated.

1) Is anyone trying this at the hairline/temples only and,if so, how is it working out?

2) Is anyone needling at lesser depths in between wounding sessions for minoxidil absorption?

3) How many hours/days after wounding before your scalp appears “normal” again (ie if your routine is Friday nights are you wearing hats all weekend or is it less noticeable 12-24 hours later)? If you roll 1.5mm or pen 1.5mm/2mm it usually fades back to normal in 24 hours, maybe another day if you want to be on the safe side.

4) Assuming you are doing it correctly, is there any way needling can worsen your condibtion (i.e. shred/pull out the hair you have)?
We haven't heard of anyone's condition getting worse by needling, nor anyone here has experienced such thing.

I’ve been following this thread semi regularly for a few weeks and there’s so much great commentary each day ....so apologies if any of what I’ve asked was already covered.

I’ve ordered a derminator 2 but it may take a couple of months to be delivered (according to their site). I plan on using at the temples and hairline with minoxidil and tracking my progress to see if I get any gains before committing to the entire scalp which is now diffuse but still covered with long hair. I figure I’ll stick to the routine better with shorter and hopefully less painful sessions and then reassess my situation every 3 months. I also plan to stay on finas for another 6 months at least although it’s my belief that it’s done far more damage to my hair than good.

Capone

My Regimen
Reaction score
Interesting

Tom Cruise done it at the start of Mission Impossible.

Bill_Russo

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Interesting

Tom Cruise done it at the start of Mission Impossible.
So THAT'S his secret.
378_v9_bd.jpg

rrphl

My Regimen
Reaction score
Guys, we have a wealth of information in here by now, but over time it becomes difficult to track, to really get the "big picture", and to keep track of the developments of the various individuals trying this.

What do you think about some kind of survey in a separate dermarolling survey thread, where each member can update/edit their survey post when they feel there's relevant new info (e.g. once a month)? That way, we could have everyone's results in one place in an ordered fashion and could keep the discussion here in this thread.

What do you think?

I suggest the following to start; please add more (useful) fields you can think of. If many members agree, we could start a result/survey thread:

Nickname:
Current Norwood:
Treatment history:
  • [treatment1] since [month/year] until [month/year]
  • [treatment2] since [month/year] until [month/year]
  • and so on
Needling since: [specify date or month/year]
Needling until: ["still needling"; otherwise specify date or month/year in case you stopped]
Needling frequency (average): [daily/weekly/biweekly etc.]
Needling, total number of sessions:
Needling device: [roller/stamp/pen and brand]
Needling depth/needle length: [specify mm]
Needling intensity: [no redness / mild redness / redness / drawing few drops of blood / drawing lots of blood]
Needling side effects: [please specify, e.g. redness for X days, flaking after Y days, etc.]
Using minoxidil: [yes/no]
Using other treatments at the same time: [please specify]
Witnessing regrowth: [yes/no]
Regrowth since: [please specify as month/year or from start of needling, in weeks and/or months]
Pattern of regrowth: [please describe, i.e. only vellus or also terminal and in which areas]
Photos showing own progress or lack thereof: [please add photos, preferrably with timestamp on photo]

We could also start a Google Docs Survey to have a nice table afterwards.

As time goes by, we can find people keep asking similar questions. That’s the nature of forums which are not designed for you to track someone’s regimen and progress. IMHO, even we start a new survey thread, it’s still a painful way to do it. As a software developer, I tend to write codes to solve problems. I’ve been thinking about making a proper tool for you guys.

The main idea is to do the following 2 basic things.
  • A personal page to show your regimen history and photos. Maybe a timeline to organize all your treatments and corresponding photos.
  • Other people can follow you (like twitter) and give feedback.

I can do it as a hobby project in my spare time. If things run smoothly, I estimate the first minimum viable version can be delivered in one month. More advanced functions can be developed progressively. What do you think? Any feedback would be appreciated.