Very Impressive Dermarolling And Minxodil Results - From Tressless

kungfukenny

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Had same for first two months. Finally went away.
Do you think maybe it’s a good thing or no? Like it’s an initial shed or something? Are you now making progress?

Maybe I’m reading too much into it, I also recently changed shampoos from Nizoral to something else so it could be that.

Arrade

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm gonna ask a really stupid question, I know, but I am starting to get really paranoid. Been using microneedling + minoxidil for about 1 month and, although I swear I have gotten some regrowth, I can tell as well that I feel my skin worse. I've dropped minoxidil, but now I am wondering if microneedling alone can trigger lack of collagen as well due to growth factors. This is impossible, isn't it?
I don’t think needling would, unless your collagen is that low already.
Try eating gelatin

Bill_Russo

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm gonna ask a really stupid question, I know, but I am starting to get really paranoid. Been using microneedling + minoxidil for about 1 month and, although I swear I have gotten some regrowth, I can tell as well that I feel my skin worse. I've dropped minoxidil, but now I am wondering if microneedling alone can trigger lack of collagen as well due to growth factors. This is impossible, isn't it?
As Arrade pointed out, I don't think needling could be the cause of it, unless it was that low to begin with.
I always dermarol and then go in the shower straight away! Really helps
Hey, man! How long are your needling sessions?

I also rinse with cold water after a session. No itch at all.

ToLGuy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
#2 is the worst. But there isn't much cosmetic progress overall.

Please keep at it. We all know needling is a SLOW process. The androgen damage has been accumulating since puberty so it's not surprising that any 'natural' method of reversing it might be pretty slow-acting. Give it at least 6-12 months before drawing any conclusions.
Thanks man, of course I will. I won't be quitting so easily and I knew I wasn't going to get results this early back there. I am somewhat relieved that I'm getting something for my hairline at least, but crown went away first so if this works for me, it's going to take a lot of time to recover that area as you juts said.

Headdy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Someone has any idea what he says regarding needles length and frequency?

Don't use Dermaroller if what? lol

luen12

My Regimen
Reaction score
This may not be news for most of you and probably isn’t, but I found some things about wounding/microneedling that I found interesting and maybe it‘s new for at least some.
So, I was just browsing the Puretech Pipeline about Follica - again ;) And I found this article on their website.

Fgf9 from dermal γδ T cells induces hair follicle neogenesis after wounding
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4054871/

It basically says that the use of growth factors and especially fgf9 (fibroblast growth factor 9) after wounding will increase the skin‘s ability to create new hair follicles by a lot and will almost certainly lead to hair follice neogenesis. Fgf9 is produced by gamma/delta T cells, which are less present in adult humans (they are however present in mice!). In the presence of Fgf9, which is a strong wnt-signalling activator, wounds will tend to heal without any scarring and newly regenerated hair follicles.

After googling around a bit, I also found an older thread on Hairlosstalk. Some of you may already know it, but here it is again:
https://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/threads/latest-patents-from-dr-george-cotsarelis.108549/
It‘s about patents about use of drugs/growth factors by Dr. Cotsarelis that are probably related to Follica. So some of these patents may be incorporated in their topical. The most interesting for most of us now is probably this one:

Minoxidil for generating new hair follicles and treating baldness
https://patents.google.com/patent/EP2949328A1/en

What really struck me is that he actually claims that Minoxidil + wounding can actually create new follicles instead of just strengthening existing ones. I guess this is the reason why some here had such great and fast success with microneedling and wounding. After reading that it actually can create new follicles, I am now seriously considering starting using Minoxidil ;)
But, we also have prove that microneedling alone works (eg. Chinese study). Microneedling is also said to activate Wnt-signalling and increase pdgf(platelet derived growth factor). It probably also increases microcirculation. However the lesser presence of growth factors (especially fgf9, but also minoxidil) may be the reason why regrowth with only microneedling is taking more time.

Ayr9

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Someone has any idea what he says regarding needles length and frequency?

Don't use Dermaroller if what? lol
In first video,he is saying that doctors like him do needling on patients within 2.5mm to 1mm and he suggest when somone is doing it in home,one should use 0.25mm to 0.5mm.
He is telling to needle in star shape and he is telling to either do once in 8days or 15days.
And in second video,he is telling that he dont recommend needling for nw6 or mw7 patients or those who have folliculitis,infectionsgetc in the hair or those who have longer hair as it can get tangled.He recommends short hair for rolling.
He is also telling that rolling doesnt cause pain but those who are pain sensitive will get pain easily.So for them he is recommending to try first with 0.25mm to 0.5mm to se if they can resist pain,but at the same time he is saying that 0.25mm to 0.5mm is not that much effective.
He is finishes by saying that rolling is painless if done properly

WishIHadHair2570

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've done 4 sessions so far:

Definitely seeing tiny hairs on the hairline. I've been a non responder to dutasteride/finasteride/Min. It's a little too early to tell if they're actually new hairs or just part of a different cycle, but i'm optimistic.

At the same time i started micro-needling my head i also started taking care of some acne scars on my cheeks. I've never been able to grow hair there due to taking finasteride since i was like 21 (never filled in and gave me great facial hair because that typically requires DHT). Weirdly enough, there's now 2 hairs that consistently grow in the middle of my cheek on my scar. There aren't any other hairs anywhere near them. This is amazing because it actually means my body hair responds to whatever signals the needling is providing. Hoping it works on my head the same way it works on my cheeks!

Last edited:

Headdy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
In first video,he is saying that doctors like him do needling on patients within 2.5mm to 1mm and he suggest when somone is doing it in home,one should use 0.25mm to 0.5mm.
He is telling to needle in star shape and he is telling to either do once in 8days or 15days.
And in second video,he is telling that he dont recommend needling for nw6 or mw7 patients or those who have folliculitis,infectionsgetc in the hair or those who have longer hair as it can get tangled.He recommends short hair for rolling.
He is also telling that rolling doesnt cause pain but those who are pain sensitive will get pain easily.So for them he is recommending to try first with 0.25mm to 0.5mm to se if they can resist pain,but at the same time he is saying that 0.25mm to 0.5mm is not that much effective.
He is finishes by saying that rolling is painless if done properly
Thank you!
I heard him saying something "monthly" in minute 1:55 of the video, do you know what he refers to?

Headdy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Definitely seeing tiny hairs on the hairline. I've been a non responder to dutasteride/finasteride/Min. It's a little too early to tell if they're actually new hairs or just part of a different cycle, but i'm optimistic.

At the same time i started micro-needling my head i also started taking care of some acne scars on my cheeks. I've never been able to grow hair there due to taking finasteride since i was like 21 (never filled in and gave me great facial hair because that typically requires DHT). Weirdly enough, there's now 2 hairs that consistently grow in the middle of my cheek on my scar. There aren't any other hairs anywhere near them. This is amazing because it actually means my body hair responds to whatever signals the needling is providing. Hoping it works on my head the same way it works on my cheeks!
Nice. What is your needling device \ needles length \ frequency?

kungfukenny

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Congrats! How often do you needle? And at what length? And are you using any other treatments or just microneedling? Thanks.

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
This may not be news for most of you and probably isn’t, but I found some things about wounding/microneedling that I found interesting and maybe it‘s new for at least some.
So, I was just browsing the Puretech Pipeline about Follica - again ;) And I found this article on their website.

Fgf9 from dermal γδ T cells induces hair follicle neogenesis after wounding
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4054871/

It basically says that the use of growth factors and especially fgf9 (fibroblast growth factor 9) after wounding will increase the skin‘s ability to create new hair follicles by a lot and will almost certainly lead to hair follice neogenesis. Fgf9 is produced by gamma/delta T cells, which are less present in adult humans (they are however present in mice!). In the presence of Fgf9, which is a strong wnt-signalling activator, wounds will tend to heal without any scarring and newly regenerated hair follicles.

After googling around a bit, I also found an older thread on Hairlosstalk. Some of you may already know it, but here it is again:
https://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/threads/latest-patents-from-dr-george-cotsarelis.108549/
It‘s about patents about use of drugs/growth factors by Dr. Cotsarelis that are probably related to Follica. So some of these patents may be incorporated in their topical. The most interesting for most of us now is probably this one:

Minoxidil for generating new hair follicles and treating baldness
https://patents.google.com/patent/EP2949328A1/en

What really struck me is that he actually claims that Minoxidil + wounding can actually create new follicles instead of just strengthening existing ones. I guess this is the reason why some here had such great and fast success with microneedling and wounding. After reading that it actually can create new follicles, I am now seriously considering starting using Minoxidil ;)
But, we also have prove that microneedling alone works (eg. Chinese study). Microneedling is also said to activate Wnt-signalling and increase pdgf(platelet derived growth factor). It probably also increases microcirculation. However the lesser presence of growth factors (especially fgf9, but also minoxidil) may be the reason why regrowth with only microneedling is taking more time.
I just finished my second Derminator2 session @ 1.5mm fast speed. Rogain foam immediately after. I think that Minoxidil is the key to speed up growth.