Topical Dutasteride Case Assessment Thread

sonictemples

My Regimen
Reaction score
Exactly. Finasteride is a smaller molecule that crosses both non-hair shaft skin as well as entering hair shafts therefore it will always get through the skin easily. The lactoferrin was able to enter only via the hair shaft where it was able to stay more localized which is what we would want with dutasteride. Lactoferrin and other large molecules do not readily cross non-hair shaft skin easily otherwise there would be a lot more drugs that could be delivered transdermally that currently aren't.

There are definitely issues with the 500 limit number due to the many factors that affect absorption through the skin. For example, most early studies that defined this limit had been done on areas of the skin other than the scalp. The scalp has a huge number of large, terminal hair shafts versus other less hairy areas of the body. These non-scalp types of studies aren't very applicable to us as the absorption dynamics would be totally different in the two scenarios with a greater number of larger molecules getting into the hair shaft on the scalp.

I used oral finasteride in the past and eventually had sides after many years of use. When everyone started talking about topical finasteride again a few years ago (with many prominent doctors jumping on the bandwagon) I was surprised because topical finasteride had been discussed over a decade ago with most people coming to the same conclusion: the finasteride molecule is just too small to not pass straight through the skin and into systemic circulation. From many people's reports, this has clearly been the case.

I guess for those of us too afraid to try topical dutasteride or any other experimental treatments just yet, all we can really do is look forward to clascoterone being released within the next few months. It doesn't seem great but the studies seem to indicate that it is safe and safety is currently my main priority.
Wouldn't RU be better? I know that the safety concerns might be holding us back but hopefully we can get more information via contacting the people whom was involved in the human studies.

blub10

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Interesting. Since you obviously know more about absorption dynamics than me: I've always wondered how much (%) of finasteride goes systemic when applied topically in a typical alcohol-based vehicle. Is there any way to make an educated guess about this? I've seen people say 10% in the past, but I've never seen any theory or science to back it up.

I can only you from experience: After 6 weeks of daily use of 1% topical finasteride I have had the same side as on 0.25mg oral Fina

badhabiz

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I can only you from experience: After 6 weeks of daily use of 1% topical finasteride I have had the same side as on 0.25mg oral Fina
where do you get that dosage?
consider that 0.1 its 1mg of fina per 1ml...you take 10 times that dosage

Mustang

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes, I had the same sides with finasteride as well (topical)
Even at 0.05%
Not with Dutasteride

Mustang

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have tried stem cells injections, minoxidil, PRP, mesotherapy, oral minoxidil (loniten), RU, finasteride, dutasteride, topical finasteride and topical dutasteride, dermarolling, saw palmetto, topical saw palmetto, laser cap, dutasteride mesotherapy and probably many other things the past 15 years.

The 4 things that made the greatest difference on my male pattern baldness were:

1) Oral Minoxidil. You grow hair like a Lion. Side effects are bad, it's a powerful med for high blood pressure. I naturally have very low blood pressure, not for me.
2) Dutasteride Mesotherapy. Once every 15 days. 2mm deep. 2ML of Dutasteride. Using a dermapen.
3) Topical Dutasteride. Stopped my hair loss cold. No sides.
4) Dermarolling. It really works.

What did not work or had too many side effects

1) Oral finasteride and dutasteride, side effects were bad
2) Topical finasteride, same sides as oral
3) PRP, did nothing
4) Stem cells did nothing
5) Saw Palmetto, nada
6) Biotin, vitamins, scalp massages

What worked moderately

1) Laser Cap. It did thicken my hair, still use it 3 times a week.
2) RU, hard to tell as I have no hair loss on topical dutasteride and have none since stopping RU.

Orwell

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have tried stem cells injections, minoxidil, PRP, mesotherapy, oral minoxidil (loniten), RU, finasteride, dutasteride, topical finasteride and topical dutasteride, dermarolling, saw palmetto, topical saw palmetto, laser cap, dutasteride mesotherapy and probably many other things the past 15 years.

The 4 things that made the greatest difference on my male pattern baldness were:

1) Oral Minoxidil. You grow hair like a Lion. Side effects are bad, it's a powerful med for high blood pressure. I naturally have very low blood pressure, not for me.
2) Dutasteride Mesotherapy. Once every 15 days. 2mm deep. 2ML of Dutasteride. Using a dermapen.

3) PRP, did nothing
5) Saw Palmetto, nada

What worked moderately

2) RU, hard to tell as I have no hair loss on topical dutasteride and have none since stopping RU.
Have you ever tried dutasteride mesotherapy carried out at by a dermatologist at a clinic, and if so, do you think it works?

Mustang

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Have you ever tried dutasteride mesotherapy carried out at by a dermatologist at a clinic, and if so, do you think it works?

I stupidly did once only to realize I can do this myself and safe a bunch of money.

Yes. it works great

badhabiz

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

3) PRP, did nothing
5) Saw Palmetto, nada

What worked moderately

hope you dont mind if I ask

so you use topical dutasteride and dermaroll?

Mustang

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
My current regime is on Topical Dutasteride once a week
I just don't need anything else

Stating facts

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I wish topical duatasteride is studied in the near future with RCT more because it seems very interesting. With only 0.1 % (equivalent to 0.1 mg) applied topically that lasts for a week, the dose of 0.5 mg (daily or even EOD)seems too much orally.

dgadgdea

My Regimen
Reaction score
@Mustang Have you noticed any difference between the 0.1% once a week and 1% once a week? Have you measured DHT levels since switching to 0.1%?

I have 0.5% now but after some period if it works I will probably also want to work down to a minimum viable concentration

hailbrotzu

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I am also using topical dutasteride once a week and my hair loss has mostly halted and itching is basically gone. I am still playing with dosage and frequency and looking to try the farmacia parati topical because I am getting occasional ball ache. In my case some of the topical is going systemic but I think with the right liposomal solution and dosage I can prevent it from going systemic.

sonictemples

My Regimen
Reaction score
You can get it formulated in a liposomal carrier

sonictemples

My Regimen
Reaction score

Dimitri001

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Get a load of this, cats

https://smj.journals.ekb.eg/article_42083_24b61cbba4be9982db23c318414034c0.pdf

They did miscroneedling in conjunction with topical duta and this is what they found at the end of treatment with regards to serum DHT and T levels:

"Testosterone and DHT levels were measured in group 1 only. Total testosterone was in
the normal range (0.47-9.8 ng/ml); after treatment; there was increase in serum
testosterone, but there was no statistically significant difference in mean testosterone
level before and after treatment. DHT was in the normal range (250-990 pg/ml); after
treatment; there was decline in serum DHT, but there was no statistically significant
difference in mean of DHT level before and after treatment
(Table 9)."

There was a 5.3% change in serum DHT.

That said, the study is kind of strange and confusing and I haven't read the whole thing yet.

First, they applied 0.02% duta, is that the normal dose?

Here's the weird part:

IV.4) Treatment schedule: 13
sessions were done according to
the following schedule:
v Once every week for eight weeks
(week 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7).
v Once every two weeks for one
month (week 9, 11).
v Once every month for three
months (week 15, 19, 23).

So, in the last three months of the study, they only did three applications. They say:

Assessment was done monthly and
one week after the last session
(24th week)

So those final values were done a week after the last session. Maybe that's why they got such a small impact on DHT.

Have there been any other studies with topical duta?

UPDATE:

Here's one with duta mesotherapy

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5596657/

"It is believed that systemic absorption after mesotherapy is equal to after oral dutasteride because the scalp is highly vascular.[4] We did not detect significant differences between serum hormone levels before and after treatment, suggesting that the absorption of dutasteride after a nonintensive treatment protocol is worthless. The limitations of our study are the small sample size and the short follow-up."

Last edited: