Tocotrienol\Toco-8

Jacob

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm aware of that..and I think there's another "study" as well. Or am I thinking about procyanidins...

But looking at a product containing that specific toco combo: http://www.vitacost.com/vitacost-tocomin-suprabio-palm-tocotrienol-complex-60-mg-120-softgels ..well, I guess it's not terribly expensive so maybe it doesn't even pay to look for something cheaper with a similar profile. Just look for the cheapest one containing the combo :dunno:

Here's another: http://www.iherb.com/Healthy-Origin...-Tocotrienol-Complex-50-mg-150-Softgels/27485

Or are those different from "Tocovid" SuperBio....

The Natural

Established Member
Reaction score
Jacob said:
TN ^...It's either that.. or like numerous other things- every once in awhile someone(newbie or someone who just came across it or decided to get on it) gets a bit excited about something that's been brought up in the past... and others, who probably hadn't heard about it or paid much attention to it in the past, also get involved. IMO

Well, maybe you're right.

Then again, when I read stuff like this at another forum. It sure makes you wonder:

"The Best Supplement Ever
hellwig on Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:29 pm

I feel obliged to write this for the new members, and non members reading this, who are surely overwhelmed and dont know where to begin (Ferox Method (tm) excluded). Forget fancy theories, complicated studies and self trials resulting in, well, no results. I'm going to save you some time, effort, and money. There is a supplement that has shown in actual real life to improve hair quality, density and colour, increase muscle mass, decrease fat, and improve wellbeing just incase you werent gonna be feeling good about all that anyway. It works partly by increasing testosterone and is speculated to thin the blood, though I care more about the results than the "why?"s. The supplement I use and recommend is Toco-8 by primordial performance."

Wow! Fortunately, the forum's owner repeated what we've been stating:

"I started this forum and I see all kinds of claims being made all the time.

There is no single game changer. Simply put, everyone is different. Also with respect to toco-8, it isn't necessary to spend that much to obtain a quality tocotrienol supplement. I use one that is quite inexpensive and is the same type used in the patent for hair growth."

zeroes

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Jacob, the Vitacost one seems to contain only 4 of the 8 Toco + dosage different + some other differences same deal with the Healthy Origins.

List of ingredients for Toco8 is available here:

http://www.onnutrition.com.au/products/Toco-8.html

One I am taking:

http://www2.picturepush.com/photo/a/848 ... 481605.jpg

PP have updated the formula recently so ingredients maybe a bit different now.

TN as 2020 has pointed out, the product is marketed towards body builders not hair loss sufferers.

I would like to point out once again, no one has to take this product plenty of people have started using either 8 or SupraBio, we will find out (again) if it works or not.

Bet24

Established Member
Reaction score
I want to start taking toco-8, but I'm afraid of the long term side effects of the vitamin E overdose...

Jacob

Reaction score
The Natural said:
Jacob said:
TN ^...It's either that.. or like numerous other things- every once in awhile someone(newbie or someone who just came across it or decided to get on it) gets a bit excited about something that's been brought up in the past... and others, who probably hadn't heard about it or paid much attention to it in the past, also get involved. IMO

Well, maybe you're right.

Then again, when I read stuff like this at another forum. It sure makes you wonder:

I feel obliged to write this for the new members, and non members reading this, who are surely overwhelmed and dont know where to begin (Ferox Method (tm) excluded). Forget fancy theories, complicated studies and self trials resulting in, well, no results. I'm going to save you some time, effort, and money. There is a supplement that has shown in actual real life to improve hair quality, density and colour, increase muscle mass, decrease fat, and improve wellbeing just incase you werent gonna be feeling good about all that anyway. It works partly by increasing testosterone and is speculated to thin the blood, though I care more about the results than the "why?"s. The supplement I use and recommend is Toco-8 by primordial performance."

Wow! Fortunately, the forum's owner repeated what we've been stating:

"I started this forum and I see all kinds of claims being made all the time.

There is no single game changer. Simply put, everyone is different. Also with respect to toco-8, it isn't necessary to spend that much to obtain a quality tocotrienol supplement. I use one that is quite inexpensive and is the same type used in the patent for hair growth."

Yeah..that was a bit..overboard :woot:

Jacob

Reaction score
zeroes said:
Jacob, the Vitacost(edit: and Healthy Origins) one seems to contain only 4 of the 8 Toco + dosage different + some other differences same deal with the Healthy Origins.

List of ingredients for Toco8 is available here:

http://www.onnutrition.com.au/products/Toco-8.html

One I am taking:

http://www2.picturepush.com/photo/a/848 ... 481605.jpg

PP have updated the formula recently so ingredients maybe a bit different now.

But the VitaCost one is the SupraBio that's in the study you posted. Although..like I said..in the study info they say "Tocovid" SupraBio.

Toco 8 and SupraBio are both from the same company though..it seems- Carotech: http://www.carotech.net/index/news/162.html

And there is that thing about taking them separately..TN and I discussed this at Hairsite awhile back: http://www.hairsite.com/hair-loss/forum_entry-id-55689-page-3-category-4-order-last_answer.html

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Jacob said:
But the VitaCost one is the SupraBio that's in the study you posted. Although..like I said..in the study info they say "Tocovid" SupraBio.

Toco 8 and SupraBio are both from the same company though..it seems- Carotech: http://www.carotech.net/index/news/162.html

And there is that thing about taking them separately..TN and I discussed this at Hairsite awhile back: http://www.hairsite.com/hair-loss/forum_entry-id-55689-page-3-category-4-order-last_answer.html

this is ridiculous... half of your posts are links to some obscure products :woot:

Jacob

Reaction score
Can you think of a different word other than "obscure"? It doesn't even apply here(as usual)..as the links and even products are relevant to the discussion.

Half of your obscure posts are telling others that they're posting about obscure things. :shakehead:

Jacob

Reaction score
Thinking about what TN said above regarding Toco8...I did a bunch of searching and looking at older threads. I can't seem to find anything about Toco8 and a study on hair loss. I swear there were 2 different studies though- maybe PP(Toco8) did their own or something? One link that was supposed to talk about that is dead. Not even Wayback/web archive brings it up.

Then the study zeroes posted above has to do with the SupraBio combo. The(or a) patent highlights tocotrienols(see below). I do recall companies such as LEF jumping on this Vit E for hair loss bandwagon..and I'm starting to think that's what PP/Toco-8 did as well. Maybe someone can find the other study I swear is out there..

And btw..looking back I see I posted some things about powdered E and worrying about the stability of it long-term. Always opening the container to get some out..etc.

Because of the difference observed in the phytyl chain of tocopherols and tocotrienols, the two series have also been reported to possess differences in biological activities, with the tocotrienols reportedly to be superior (Qureshi et al, J BiolChem (1986) 261:10544; Serbinova et al, Free Radic Biol Med (1991) 10:263). Moreover, the half life of tocopherols in humans has been reported to be about 20 hours while the half-life of tocotrienols was reported to be between 2 4 hours only.

Although tocopherols have been mentioned in other patents describing hair growing agents, tocopherols are not the major active ingredient but merely act as formulation aid, as mentioned in some of the patents. The patent by Kamimura (EuropeanPatent Application Number EP1232740A2) relates to a hair growing agent, comprising phosphatidic acid as an active ingredient (as claim 1). Only in the subsequent claims did the inventor mention that "A hair-growing agent comprising, as activeingredients, the phosphatidic acid, and one or more members selected from the group consisting of proanthocyanidin, tocopherol, derivatives of tocopherol, panthothenic acid . . . ". Moreover, the above patent only mentioned tocopherol as one of thecomponents of the invention and not tocotrienols per se. It should be emphasized that tocotrienols are distinctly different from tocopherols.

In the patent by Mitsuyama (JP2000038340), it relates to peroral hair growth stimulants containing minoxidil AND one or more compounds chosen from a group of molecules which may consist of vitamin E. The emphasis was on minoxidil and not VitaminE although Vitamin E as a group encompasses both tocopherol and tocotrienols. Tocotrienols were not being mentioned at all for preventing hair loss as the sole active ingredient but instead vitamin E was used more as a supplement to minoxidil or as anexcipient in the preparation. On the other hand, the present invention specifically relates to preparations containing tocotrienols for promoting hair growth and not in combination with other molecules.

U.S. Pat. No. 4,439,432 (Peat) relates to the use of progesterone solubilized in tocopherol for the correction of progesteron deficiency states. The tocopherol in the preparation was not indicated for the treatment of any ailments listed inthe patent, which include abnormal hair growth resulting from androgen excess, but rather the tocopherol was used as a non-toxic solvent to solubilize the progesteron such that it did not crystallize out upon mixing with biological fluids. Thetocopherol used in the U.S. Pat. No. 4,439,432 was not meant to exert any therapeutic action. Tocopherol in this case was used solely as an inert excipient/carrier for progesterone so that the progesterone would not crystallize out as in the case of aprior art where ethanol was used. U.S. Pat. No. 5,591,772 by Lane et al. relates to the use of novel tocotrienols and tocotrienol-like compounds as hypocholesterolemic, antithrombotic, antioxidizing, antiatherogenic, anti-inflammatory andimmunoregulatory agents. It was never mentioned in the patent that tocotrienols could be used for promoting hair growth or preventing hair loss as stated in the present invention. Hence, the aim of the present study was to investigate the possibleintervention effects on hair loss with tocotrienols.

BRIEF SUMMARY OF THE INVENTION

Accordingly, it is the primary objective of the present invention to provide a mixed tocotrienols composition. It is also another objective to provide a formulation for promoting hair growth and preventing hair loss using the mixed tocotrienolsof the present invention.

This and other objectives of the present invention are accomplished by: (1) a mixed tocotrienols composition; (2) a formulation for promoting hair growth and preventing hair loss in a mammal wherein mixed tocotrienols are combined with apharmaceutically acceptable excipient; (3) a formulation for promoting hair growth and preventing hair loss in a mammal wherein ?-, or ?-, or ?- tocotrienols is combined with pharmaceutically acceptable excipient; and (4) the use of aformulation as claimed in the present invention for promoting hair growth and preventing hair loss in a mammal.

Jacob

Reaction score
And it looks like it was/is marketed for hairloss: http://www.prweb.com/releases/testosterone-boosting/hair-loss-protective/prweb699323.htm

And they cite the same study..so I guess there is only one:
Recently, the natural ingredient manufacturer Carotech obtained a US patent (7,211,247) for the hair loss prevention, and hair regrowth benefits of a mixed tocotrienol complex.

Notice it says "a mixed tocotrienol complex". Yes..Toco-8 does contains those tocotrienols..but it also contains the tocopherols. Which may be fine..but I'd still take them separately..or just the tocotrienols. They for sure aren't the purest when it comes to pure tocotrienols!

They're also misleading with their statement: "Toco-8 is a pure tocotrienol powdered supplement"....

Edit..looking back at some of my older posts I see that all these SupraBio products contain the tocopherols as well. :doh: They just aren't listing the 4 separately- they say "Vitamin E (d-alpha tocopherol). So scratch all the above about Suprabio being different from Toco-8. It seems the only difference is that Toco8 is a powder..the rest are in caps/gelcaps. Unless the amounts of each Toco are indeed that much different..if you add up the gelcaps to equal a scoop, etc.

It still makes more sense to take the tocotrienols separately though. I think it was recommended they be taken at bedtime.

Jacob

Reaction score
We import the tocotrienol powder directly from the GMP certified manufacturer in Malaysia, package the sensitive tocotrienol powder in our own in-house facility, while keeping the tocotrienol powder refrigerated until the order ships. This means that you are getting the freshest and most biologically active tocotrienol complex on the market - generally less than 2-3 weeks old by the time it reaches you, the customer. This is more than can be said for a gelcap that is exposed to extensive heat for the encapsulation process, plus stored on shelves for months as it goes from manufacturer > distributor > wholesalers > customer.

So they're importing it every 2-3 weeks? :dunno:
I really don't think heat is an issue with the gelcaps :shakehead:

Here's another "bulk" product: http://www.beyond-a-century.com/Tocotrienol-Beadlets--50-grams_p_156.html ..also form Carotech: http://www.carotech.net/index/product_range/tocomin.html

I don't see it on BAC's site at the moment..but it's where I got the heat etc-sensitive quotes from in the past:

TOCOBEADS® 7.5% is physically and chemically stable. It has a shelf life of 24 months and is recommended that the bulk containers be stored at
40° C for optimum stability

TOCOBEADS® 7.5% is sensitive to air, light and heat. Store in airtight containers at or below room temperature

And that's all the obscure info you'll get from me for awhile..2020 :woot:

Jacob

Reaction score
The Natural said:

Found that thread..I did find this post by him hilarious though:
I think you'll find the before and after pics right next to the ecklonia cava and rejuvaplex pics...

And zeroes..I see there you realize the SupraBio and Toco8 are the same. Just the above mentioned products from Healthy Origins etc confused you like it confused me- they don't list all 8 tocos separately.

Experienced Member
Reaction score
for the love of god... only toco-8 was used in that study to grow hair.
TOCO-SORB, SUPRABRIO or whatever else toco IS NOT THE SAME AS actual toco-8

Sparky4444

Reaction score
2020 said:
for the love of god... only toco-8 was used in that study to grow hair.
TOCO-SORB, SUPRABRIO or whatever else toco IS NOT THE SAME AS actual toco-8

You actually think there is something magical in Toco-8 that isn't in Supra-Bio that would be the trigger to overcome hair growth??

,...beta-sitosterol is in Toco-8 and not in Healthy Origins Supra-Bio...Other than that, basically the same dosage of all the other Vitamin E elements..

.. :whistle:

Jacob

Reaction score
There's this itty bitty part of me that thinks 2020 was just being sarcastic there..actually trying to be funny. Since the study specifically talks about SupraBio. And from Jarrow: "TocoSorb® tocotrienol-vitamin E complex utilizes SupraBio® enhanced absorption system."

But then again..it is 2020 :whistle:

Jacob

Reaction score
Sparky4444 said:
2020 said:
f

,...beta-sitosterol is in Toco-8 and not in Healthy Origins Supra-Bio...Other than that, basically the same dosage of all the other Vitamin E elements..

.. :whistle:

Although the Healthy Origins contains "Plant Phytosterol Complex".. beta-sitosterol could be a part of that. In fact..most likely is..

Experienced Member
Reaction score
so if I compare THE ACTUAL INGREDIENTS from toco-8 and whatever toco you're suggesting I will find the same exact ingredients? You want me to do that?