Potentially The Worst Responder To Finasteride... Ever? | HairLossTalk Forums
Dismiss Notice
Forum Update: Aug 19. Feedback for the Admin? Upgrade coming: Click Here.

Potentially The Worst Responder To Finasteride... Ever?

Discussion in 'Men's General Hair Loss Discussions' started by baldingboi, Dec 3, 2019 at 2:30 PM.

1. baldingboi

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    Hello,
    Around mid-July I decided to take the plunge and start finasteride. My hair was never noticeably balding and still very thick - there was only slight recession on the temples, however in an attempt to save any further recession from happening I decided to start finasteride.

From literally what it felt like day 1 i started to shed my hair in incredible quantities (something which i had never experienced before). Around 3 weeks in after incessant shedding I started to develop other side effects such as decreased libido, limp erections and painful inflamed scalp.

Anyway I continued because people on these forums always told people to ride out the shed and hope for the regrowth of this shed - but for the 3 months my hair NEVER stopped shedding so I quit around one month and a half ago (also due to the other side effects I was experienced I realised it was unsustainable). I literally lost 60% of my hair due to this 'shed' and it left the rest of my hair so thin. It has also notably obliterated the hair above my temples.

After I stopped finasteride, the shedding slowed down massively and now i only lose 2 hairs in the shower which are thin and lifeless. It feels like my other hair is just a matter of time before it falls out too. I am still hoping for regrowth but I am considerably less optimistic now than I was when I stopped because I have not noticed anything.

I have looked through these forums profusely to see if anyone else has had this ungodly shed AND experienced side effects and it just seems to be one or the other.

I am convinced that finasteride has literally kickstarted my male pattern baldness and I am utterly depressed knowing that it was through my own choice that this has happened. Does anyone have any advice on where to go from here? I am considering starting oral minoxidil but I feel like I can't face the shed that will induce. I just can't get over that a drug to STOP balding has caused this to happen and I know now that it has happened to other people on this forum it's so f*****g unfair.

2. pegasus2

pegasus2 Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    100% finasteride is not the cause of your hair loss.

3. JonnyGo

JonnyGo Established Member My Regimen

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    So you took finasteride cause you were balding and now you’re blaming finasteride cause you’re balding? You were already balding before that’s why you took it.

pegasus2 likes this.
  4. CrownBalding

CrownBalding Senior Member My Regimen

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    I thought the same thing. I started finasteride 18 months ago and within 2-3 months I think my overall hair density was cut in half. Now, 18 months later, my hair more or less remained about the same. Who knows what it would’ve been like if I didn’t get on...

5. Hairs45

Hairs45 Established Member My Regimen

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    pics of your hair?

i think you're exaggerating a bit

6. brownhair

brownhair Established Member My Regimen

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    Same thing happened to me, within 2 weeks my hair became lifeless and thin. I could actually feel it changing on a daily basis and my barber commented on it too. I can't style it anymore and my scalp is visible which wasn't the case before. Shed has never stopped. I have physical sides too including burning and itching scalp which wasn't the case pre-finasteride. No good posting it here as you get the usual response as which has already been posted in this thread. Just waiting for the usual 'its all in your head'.

Cowboys fan likes this.
  7. baldingboi

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    I wish I was exaggerating I really do. Ever since I've stopped the itch barely happens anymore so obviously it was the finasteride eating up my hair!!
    I don't understand why people are so quick to defend finasteride, it wasnt even created FOR hairloss

8. Incinerate

Incinerate Established Member My Regimen

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    I do believe you and i m sorry for what happened. But people here are very cautious, they won't believe you if you don't post photos.

9. Me Vs DiffuseThinning

Me Vs DiffuseThinning Experienced Member My Regimen

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    Post pictures. 95% chance you are a NW1 with perfect density. I f*****g hate BDD users.

CrownBalding and pegasus2 like this.
  10. baldingboi

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    i mean i dont know why i would go to the effort of making it up lol
    the first one is me in June - sorry i dont really have any good pictures to show my slight recession but it was there, my hair was so thick, this was the baseline before finasteride
    the second one is me in October - still pretty good, at the time i thought it was awful
    the last three are today, my widows peak and hairline have gone back easily a couple inches

Attached Files:

11. Me Vs DiffuseThinning

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    BDD, just as I suspected. f*** off

pegasus2 likes this.
  12. baldingboi

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    shut up man, just because i probably have more hair than you doesnt mean i have BDD. i f*****g wish i did, im only 22 tell me, tell me thats how an average 22 year olds hair line looks like

13. Me Vs DiffuseThinning

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    f*** off

14. baldingboi

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    BDD for sure

Attached Files:

15. pegasus2

pegasus2 Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Definite BDD if you think you lost 60% of your hair.

16. Me Vs DiffuseThinning

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    You're so dramatic going on about you being the worst responder to finasteride when there are NW6 diffuse users on here struggling to maintain on treatment. That's why I f*****g hate your post. I always like to give advice to people who are early in hair loss. I don't hate people who are in earlier stages of balding. I just hate people like you with BDD who think the world is about to end when your hair is still in good shape and treatment is maintaining.

17. baldingboi

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    That's the thing I didn't maintain, I've only lost hair from taking finasteride and a lot of it. Anyway, I know my situation and if you were in my shoes then you would understand too. Going down a Norwood or maybe more in the space of 3 months is pretty traumatising and it's literally fucked the rest of my hair. I have complete sympathy for guys who are NW6/7, but I'm only 22 and it's the way I'm going. You don't need to be a dick I haven't done anything to you, you're clearly angry at the world but hostility never gets you anywhere.

18. baldingboi

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    My temples were FULL before starting finasteride, albeit receding they were still thick
    This is 4 months later

Attached Files: