Potentially The Worst Responder To Finasteride... Ever?

Kambrira159

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I’m sure everyone can relate to the panic this guy’s experiencing. I know I was prone to similar exaggeration earlier on in the shedding phase. I still look like I’ve got a lot of hair now but can comfortably say I’ve lost 50% of it. We’re all on this forum because we’re struggling to cope with the enormous impact losing one’s hair can have. The sort of negativity and aggression displayed earlier in this thread just fuels the ‘bitter forum nerd’ stereotype. There’s enough toxicity out there, let’s try and make this a more positive environment and be supportive and understanding.

Moosey

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You guys are shitting OP for no reason. While finasteride obviously wont induce hairloss, the shedding can make your hair worse if you were already somewhat balding.
It has happened to me. I had a full head of hair 1year and 2 months ago. Was noticing some slight, but visible thinning. I jumped on dutasteride and shedded 300-400 hairs every day for 10 months straight. "shedded hairs grow back" yes but that doesnt apply to every hair. The shedding obliterated my hairline and left me off much much worse, before i used dutasteride. Some hairs actually get damaged by severe sheds if they were already damaged by androgens.
While yes, dutasteride didnt give me hairloss, its shedding set me back so much that i dont know how long it would take before i reach baseline again.
I stopped dutasteride and my hair looks and feels much better.

Last edited:

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm not sure how true that is, because you'd assume (or even hope) that these people would post the studies to back up their arguments rather than throwing insults around because you've stated you've had a bad reaction.

I'm not sure how it's defendable though, and I'm not saying this drug isnt affective for the majority of users but from my own experience, and a couple on this thread alone it's clear to see it's not a miracle drug that these studies claim it to be. Like I said before, because these side effects haven't happened to these people then obviously it doesn't happen to anyone.
No one said side effects don't happen to anyone. Where are you getting this from? We all know side effects happen, the debate is over the frequency of them.

But my hair thinned and turned lighter all over my head after taking finasteride for just 2 weeks. My scalp burns, my hair falls out when I run my hand through it, I have increased sebum and acne and I have more body hair in places where I didn't before. All this is too much of a coincidence for it not to be related to the drug as none of it happened before.

There is so much wrong with this paragraph. Over two weeks hair only grows by 6.16mm, and the color/texture of hair that has already grown out can't be changed except by the sun/topical chemicals. Color/texture are changed at the hair matrix which is 4mm beneath the surface of the skin, so after 2 weeks you only have about 2mm of growth impacted by finasteride, assuming finasteride took effect immediately. There is no way your hair turned lighter after 2 weeks from taking finasteride. Also, I've already explained in this thread that hair takes 2 weeks to go through catagen phase before it falls out, so you couldn't have shed hair from finasteride within 2 weeks of initiating treatment. And, if anything finasteride decreases body hair.

People refuse to believe it and will be very hostile when you write about it because for some strange reason it's as though they are threatened by your comments. Yes your hair looks good at the moment, but you probably don't have BDD but infact noticed early onset male pattern baldness but because you still have a considerable amount of hair and tried to be proactive, then according to these people, you have a mental illness because you've had a bad reaction. These are the same people that would have told you you should have acted sooner if you arrived here a few years down the line with a considerable amount of hairloss with no treatment.

Correct me if I'm wrong but do any of the studies say that you are expected to shed on this drug? It's not listed in the side effects. It's just generally accepted that it happens. We're allowed to believe those anecdotes but not ones of bad experiences.

You and baldingboi are being more hostile than anyone in this thread. When we say he has BDD it's not becuase he doesn't have hair loss, it's because he's exaggerating the degree of it. He has hair loss, but he did not lose 60% of his hair after starting finasteride unless he had the most dense head of hair of any human ever. We are not telling him not to treat his hair loss, we are telling him that he made a mistake by discontinuing treatment. God your reading comprehension sucks.

Most of the shedding that occurs after taking finasteride is likely from co-application of minoxidil, and/or the continuing acceleration of hair loss that was already present and prompted the initiation of treatment. I'm not convinced finasteride induces a new hair cycle the way minoxidil does, but I'm not saying it doesn't either.

You want proof finasteride works with a positive safety profile?

"A long term study showed that drug-related sexual side effects such as decreased libido, ED, and ejaculatory disorders occurred in <2% of men.[10] These side-effects disappeared not only in all men who stopped the drug because of the side effects but also in most of those who continued therapy. The incidence of each side effect mentioned decreased to ≤0.3% by the fifth year of treatment with finasteride. The incidence of side effects were comparable to that of placebo both at one year and at 5 years."
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3481923/#ref10
1-s2.0-S0190962208008098-gr5.jpg
1-s2.0-S0022202X15529357-gr1.jpg

Last edited:

brownhair

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I've not been hostile to anyone unless you can quote me telling someone to f*** off?

I haven't said that anyone has said that side effects don't happen, so I'm not sure where you got that from. I'm on about his particular reaction and immediate shed. You see so many threads on here, other sites and it's even been in online news articles about how finasteride has sped up hair loss, yet it can't be true because the studies don't show it. but I wouldn't disregard people's personal experiences with it.

As I said earlier, I don't doubt this drug works for most people. I accept what you're saying about the cycle hair etc, however my hair did change within the first 2 weeks of taking finasteride. It began to blow in light breeze, I couldn't style it because it looks like a split-end mess and so thin. It became dry and weak and my scalp became visible, and it did become lighter. I can't explain why it happened but it did. I have a constant burning of the scalp, I have to wash my face due to excess sebum and it did increase body hair. Its as though I had the opposite effect to everything finasteride is supposed to do. I believe it's reflex hypersensitivity, but then nothing is ever studied on this.

As soon as I read OP I could just see how this thread was going to pan out

Who Farted

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Look man, you knew the risks, you took the drug, now you have to live with it. It sucks, but that’s the gamble you take with any drug. At least you went in eyes open, unlike plenty of others over the years.

That being said, your loss isn’t even close to 60%. If you honestly believe that, then you’ve got a real issue; the only way that could be true is if you were the f*****g wolf man before you started.

baldingboi

My Regimen
Reaction score
Look man, you knew the risks, you took the drug, now you have to live with it. It sucks, but that’s the gamble you take with any drug. At least you went in eyes open, unlike plenty of others over the years.

That being said, your loss isn’t even close to 60%. If you honestly believe that, then you’ve got a real issue; the only way that could be true is if you were the f*****g wolf man before you started.
I didn't know the risk of accelerated male pattern baldness lool maybe it was my fault though as I should've noticed the warning signs early on

Moosey

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

"Losing" 60% if your hair can be interpreted in different ways. I would say i "lost" 50% of my hair after dutasteride. And by "lost" i mean that 60% of my hairs are now damaged. I can see it, it can feel it. Those hairs are still there, pigmented and grow to a certain length. But they are damaged and much thinner than they used to be.

just my 2 cents

baldingboi

My Regimen
Reaction score
"Losing" 60% if your hair can be interpreted in different ways. I would say i "lost" 50% of my hair after dutasteride. And by "lost" i mean that 60% of my hairs are now damaged. I can see it, it can feel it. Those hairs are still there, pigmented and grow to a certain length. But they are damaged and much thinner than they used to be.

just my 2 cents
This is exactly my situation too, my hair quality is much much worse, the pictures I uploaded don't show how thin each individual hair has gotten. When I look on my hair line I can see space between my hairs which was never the case before. I don't understand why people think 60% of my hair is so unrealistic, I had a full head of thick and healthy hair - now my hair just sits on top, no life, no volume. If it gets wet my scalp is visible all over - finasteride has fucked me and no one can tell me anything differently

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191208_120259_com.android.gallery3d.jpg
    Screenshot_20191208_120259_com.android.gallery3d.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 258

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
This is exactly my situation too, my hair quality is much much worse, the pictures I uploaded don't show how thin each individual hair has gotten. When I look on my hair line I can see space between my hairs which was never the case before. I don't understand why people think 60% of my hair is so unrealistic, I had a full head of thick and healthy hair - now my hair just sits on top, no life, no volume. If it gets wet my scalp is visible all over - finasteride has fucked me and no one can tell me anything differently

If you had lost 60% of your density you would probably be diffuse thinning in a nw7 pattern or something, your hair certainly doesn't look that bad in that picture you posted. Do you have any higher quality ones?

Kambrira159

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I had a full head of thick and healthy hair - now my hair just sits on top, no life, no volume. If it gets wet my scalp is visible all over - finasteride has fucked me and no one can tell me anything differently

Finasteride didn't do any of this. You are an ABF (anything but finasteride).

ScaredOfBalding

My Regimen
Reaction score
Oh my god, another BDD kiddo.

Zoro

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Or you know it could just be regular progression of male pattern baldness causing your hair loss despite being on finasteride... Test can cause hair loss to some extent too if you're super sensitive to male pattern baldness

Have you gotten blood tests confirming finasteride was actually lowering your DHT? Some people take finasteride or even dutasteride and their DHT remains in normal/high ranges

baldingboi

My Regimen
Reaction score
Finasteride didn't do any of this. You are an ABF (anything but finasteride).

Loooooooooooollllllllll at this guy thinking this guy is the gospel, nice one man well done for promoting a random guys opinion and disregarding every guy who has suffered horribly from finasteride just because he hasn't experienced the same thing hahaha. WHY the f*** are people defending FINASTERIDE it CAN have different effects on DIFFERENT people why the f*** can't people understand that??????

Zoro

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
WHY the f*** are people defending FINASTERIDE it CAN have different effects on DIFFERENT people why the f*** can't people understand that??????

Maybe because you're raging like an idiot and making claims of effects that can't be attributed to finasteride usage. People can have negative outcomes from finasteride, this isn't one of them.

Moosey

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Maybe because you're raging like an idiot and making claims of effects that can't be attributed to finasteride usage. People can have negative outcomes from finasteride, this isn't one of them.
His claims are very real and possible, he just worded it incorrectly. Finasteride didnt give him hairloss. The shedding was just so massive that it made the hair look much worse. Thats happening all the time to people here and everywhere else. Its not nothing new that people are left off with shitty looking hair after going through minoxidil or finasteride sheds if they are too severe. You guys are discussing this topic pointlessly this entire thread

Gregor59

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
finasteride is killed my hair, too. I was shedding 40 60 hairs per day before finasteride and i use this poison just 20 days and stop it 8 months ago. I shed like crazy 200+ hairs

Kambrira159

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
finasteride is killed my hair, too. I was shedding 40 60 hairs per day before finasteride and i use this poison just 20 days and stop it 8 months ago. I shed like crazy 200+ hairs

Your shedding is as should be expected, are you plain dumb?

Jon F

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi all,
I have been on finasteride for 3 months now and this thread is like a horror story but it mirrors my experience. Burning sensation on the top of the head, extremely itchy scalp and my small bald patch on my crown has doubled in size, not to mention my hairline receding around the front and my temples have receded to double what they were before. Should I stop taking it?
Could the angry trolls please refrain from being angry trolls? This is very real and very worrying to me