New Dermaroller Study; Thoughts, comments?

Status
Not open for further replies.

casperz

Experienced Member
Reaction score
casperz, in the last set of pics you posted... is the fourth pic of a place you did not roll and the pic number five from a place you did roll?

Forth pic is from last year showing re-growth from Cet prior to any rolling. Fifth pic is recent after rolling for a month.

Great pics Casperz
more pics of what appears to be hair growing directly from puncture sites.

Thanks! That is my conclusion as well.

i guess one cannot see anything without a mircoscopic camera, right?

Actually the vellus hairs are bigger than they've ever gotten and they can be felt with a finger now and I can see the darker
ones here and there. I'm getting hairs like what is shown all the way down to my juvenile hairline which has never happened
with any prior treatments. I've had very poor results before on my hairline with prior treatments but have regrown
much of my vertex from Norwood 5 in 2007. See my sig for those pics.

I posted more in my thread here:

http://www.hairlosstalk.com/interac...ith-microscopic-pictures-Good-results-so-far!

I'll try to update my regime and put it in my sig but basically I make two passes with a 1.5mm DR, heavy pressure, at 90 degrees between passes. Apply minoxidil the day after for 6 days and repeat. I was doing minoxidil once a day when I started. Changed to three times a day this week. AM, lunch and bedtime. I'm going to start rolling my entire scalp as squeegee does. My theory is whatever we are activating (IGF-1??) by doing the the entire scalp will produce more of it and hopefully provide better results. I do not use Gylcolic peel as squeegee does because when I tried peels a few years ago I lost ground. But I may add it in the future if things continue to go well for squeegee. Right now it's a waiting game.

brunobald

Reaction score
i just oust had surgery on my hand and some new hairs sprouted around and through scar, there is something going on with stem cells, I don't believe the just happening to strike a hair follicle theory, my other hand has no hair in same area. These hairs on my hand only like 10 hairs but they are thick and centimeter long. It's the wounding process, stem cells will be the cure and we just happen to wound the scalp which kicks in the stem cells creating new follicles or activating them.

I believe the longer this dermarolling is done the more chances stem cells will activate new areas to receive hair growth. I bet many willl have a head full of hair in 3 years.

By the way, has anyone tried any stem cell boosting supplements?

would you mind posting some pics of the scar n' hairs

Jlyncher

Established Member
Reaction score
thanks for the reply i was wondering if anyone even noticed my pic. my hairloss is different, my eyebrows were literally right below the cutoff for the pic, i have dupa which means i thinned more on sides and back and hairline is started receding a year ago. the silver lining of DUPA is that if you keep the sides buzzed no one can tell im losing hair. i figured if this stuff works for people with dupa it'll definintely work for male pattern baldness.

im on minoxidil, finasteride, and nizoral. with dermaroll. i experienced with iron dragon which helped at first but then lost effect.

- - - Updated - - -

I believe the best way to tell if this dermarolling is working is focusing on one terminal hair. reading this thread im noticing alot of people saying they notice tiny dark terminal hairs growing and its hard to keep track of multiple hairs. my theory is that i have my eye on 2 terminal hairs that barely sprouted up in my hairline where i havent had hair growth in years. im literally looking at those two terminal hairs in particular every single day. right now they're a little less than 1/8th of an inch and i'll keep dermarolling with minoxidil and in a month or two if they sprout to at least half an inch i'll know for sure dermarolling works.

before everyone here says it might be minoxidil or finasteride doing the trick, ive been on minoxidil for 3 years and finasteride for two, and the two particular terminal hairs im following is growing in a spot where i havent had growth since my teen years (im 25)

Congrats on the regrowth Dana, here's to seeing much more.

Funny you mention focusing on one or two terminals, that's exactly what I did in the early weeks. It really kept me motivated, I had some hairs spring out next to a scar so they were easy to spot every day. Seems like they turbo charge in the 3-4 days after rolling and you practically watch them grow. Now I have more of them, and the scar is gone so it's harder to keep an eye on them, but that's a problem I can live with, lol.

Thanks for the pics, Casperz I think they helped clarify things.

danawhite1

Established Member
Reaction score
Congrats on the regrowth Dana, here's to seeing much more.

Funny you mention focusing on one or two terminals, that's exactly what I did in the early weeks. It really kept me motivated, I had some hairs spring out next to a scar so they were easy to spot every day. Seems like they turbo charge in the 3-4 days after rolling and you practically watch them grow. Now I have more of them, and the scar is gone so it's harder to keep an eye on them, but that's a problem I can live with, lol.

Thanks for the pics, Casperz I think they helped clarify things.

yep its like gardening. but did the two terminals that you kept ur eye on become hairs that grew at least half an inch?

CursedMen

Established Member
Reaction score
Joseph the guy that made the thread- "I had grown back almost my entire juvenile hairline using needling. And it most certainly will help in the area of topical penetration and increasing efficacy.... maybe a little bit too much, so be careful. " Page 24 has picture from 2006 with finasteride/minoxidil comparing to 2009 without finasteride w/ roller looks very identical. Don't know about you guys but 3 years time without finasteride and same hair is considered a success in my book. It seems like a good idea even if you still have a lot of hair. You need a 1 mm to at least hit the top of the dermis layer. He was also doing it like 3x weekly.

persistentone

Established Member
Reaction score
Here is healthy scalp/hair from the side of my head for comparison. No visible exit holes of any kind.

I thought the fifth photo in your prior post was very convincing that you have new hairs coming out the puncture wounds.

What I wonder though is whether constant injury to the scalp is going to create a risk of permanent scarring, and will that scar tissue support hair at all? At some point in this process don't you have injury all over your scalp and no place to punch new holes?

Youcandoit

Established Member
Reaction score
For all the non believers here, start reading at page 15.. http://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/showthread.php/25910-Skin-Needling/page15 and yes it takes times to get results. Stop being b****s and roll it every week.

Keep tabs on this everyone, this will go down on record as a way to grow back hair until stem cell therapy is available to grow back your hair. Thanks for finding this.... If anyone else still doubts then it's not meant for you to grow back k your hair.

persistentone

Established Member
Reaction score
Urea sounds interesting. Azelaid acid peels skin too aswell aS glycolic acid.

The problem with an acid peel is you are causing a burn. Not only do you risk leaving the acid on too long and causing a severe burn, but the burn is a kind of irritation as well, and I don't know if that is a healthy environment in which to grow hair. At minimum you have the constant stress of trying to manage and control the amount of burning you do and then tolerating any peels that are too severe.

The beauty of urea is that you can apply it once a day and it causes no irritation at all. It simply accelerates the turnover of skin by removing dead layers on top gradually. It's not a burn, and you don't get any visible peeling.

I have read online that some people have used it to treat dandruff as well. I have not read of anyone trying it for male pattern baldness. It seems like a very low risk approach that might have a good effect.

Here is my theory behind using urea. As I understand it, DHT is the result of an enzyme 5AR that has two types. Type 1 synthesizes DHT in the hair sebaceous gland. Type 2 synthesizes DHT in the hair follicle. Finasteride only attacks type 2. Neither Minoxidil nor Finasteride attacks Type 1 5AR. So in theory we all have a lot of DHT collecting in the sebaceous gland, and nothing is treating that. By using urea, I'm forcing quick turnover of dead cells on the scalp. This in turn helps to prevent clogged hair follicles, and should therefore reduce the chance of large amounts of DHT collecting in the sebum in the sebaceous gland. In addition to the urea, I am applying shampoo twice during each shower and scrubbing the scalp vigorously. That should physically remove the dead skin cells that the urea is helping to shed off. That's it, in a nutshell. I make the skin turnover faster, and I ensure adequate washing and abrasion to the scalp to physically remove the dead cells.

Here is something where you guys can help me out. Has anyone studied how much of hair loss is attributable to DHT in the hair follicle versus DHT in the sebaceous gland? One would assume Type 2 is the most likely cause of hair loss (because it attacks the follicle directly), but you can easily imagine that the DHT in the sebaceous gland would leak into the follicle and therefore expose the follicle to additional DHT. Is that a question anyone has addressed or attempted to quantify?

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
Joseph the guy that made the thread- "I had grown back almost my entire juvenile hairline using needling. And it most certainly will help in the area of topical penetration and increasing efficacy.... maybe a little bit too much, so be careful. " Page 24 has picture from 2006 with finasteride/minoxidil comparing to 2009 without finasteride w/ roller looks very identical. Don't know about you guys but 3 years time without finasteride and same hair is considered a success in my book. It seems like a good idea even if you still have a lot of hair. You need a 1 mm to at least hit the top of the dermis layer. He was also doing it like 3x weekly.

WTF, why you guys are so suspicious about everything? Here's come that guy back then pioneering Derma rolling, regrowing obviously his hairline which is mostly not achievable with minoxidil or finasteride. I've been to this board for a long time.. and I am growing hair just like him with the ****ing derma roller. Just do it right with a good coverage, roll it, bleed and shed some skin. We all have different cases of baldness, some people are worst some people are better, we all roll it differently with different regimen.. so different response we will get from the derma rolling treatments.. it is ****ing common sense.. hair growth in cycles and takes times to grow back. Just ****ing roll it and be patient. Starting **** with people with obvious success won't get you anywhere.. A lot of people on here are still early in treatment and already started bitching and doubting everything. If some of you are here to do that, you should just quit and go b**ch somewhere else. We don't need a bunch of b****s here. We need dedicated optimistic people that want to achieve results.

- - - Updated - - -

The problem with an acid peel is you are causing a burn. Not only do you risk leaving the acid on too long and causing a severe burn, but the burn is a kind of irritation as well, and I don't know if that is a healthy environment in which to grow hair. At minimum you have the constant stress of trying to manage and control the amount of burning you do and then tolerating any peels that are too severe.

The beauty of urea is that you can apply it once a day and it causes no irritation at all. It simply accelerates the turnover of skin by removing dead layers on top gradually. It's not a burn, and you don't get any visible peeling.

I have read online that some people have used it to treat dandruff as well. I have not read of anyone trying it for male pattern baldness. It seems like a very low risk approach that might have a good effect.

Here is my theory behind using urea. As I understand it, DHT is the result of an enzyme 5AR that has two types. Type 1 synthesizes DHT in the hair sebaceous gland. Type 2 synthesizes DHT in the hair follicle. Finasteride only attacks type 2. Neither Minoxidil nor Finasteride attacks Type 1 5AR. So in theory we all have a lot of DHT collecting in the sebaceous gland, and nothing is treating that. By using urea, I'm forcing quick turnover of dead cells on the scalp. This in turn helps to prevent clogged hair follicles, and should therefore reduce the chance of large amounts of DHT collecting in the sebum in the sebaceous gland. In addition to the urea, I am applying shampoo twice during each shower and scrubbing the scalp vigorously. That should physically remove the dead skin cells that the urea is helping to shed off. That's it, in a nutshell. I make the skin turnover faster, and I ensure adequate washing and abrasion to the scalp to physically remove the dead cells.

Here is something where you guys can help me out. Has anyone studied how much of hair loss is attributable to DHT in the hair follicle versus DHT in the sebaceous gland? One would assume Type 2 is the most likely cause of hair loss (because it attacks the follicle directly), but you can easily imagine that the DHT in the sebaceous gland would leak into the follicle and therefore expose the follicle to additional DHT. Is that a question anyone has addressed or attempted to quantify?

I don't think that I know everything about hairloss but you sounds like a new kid on the block.. LOL I think that you need a more radical treatment to achieve results and reverse male pattern baldness.

CursedMen

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey retard why don't you re-read what I said because I said nothing negative. I called his story a success in my book.

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
Hey retard why don't you re-read what I said because I said nothing negative. I called his story a success in my book.

Sorry CursedMen, I replied to the wrong quote. hahaahahah! that is funny ahahahahahahahah

[video=youtube;H4siKr6qY8w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4siKr6qY8w[/video]

Jlyncher

Established Member
Reaction score
yep its like gardening. but did the two terminals that you kept ur eye on become hairs that grew at least half an inch?

They were just below the hairline, and yes they did. I have another rogue hair(miniaturized) a half inch below my hairline that's around a half inch, all the other new hairs in that area are still around 1 millimeter or so.

danawhite1

Established Member
Reaction score
They were just below the hairline, and yes they did. I have another rogue hair(miniaturized) a half inch below my hairline that's around a half inch, all the other new hairs in that area are still around 1 millimeter or so.

awesome. do you have pictures? the way i take my pictures is using my samsung S4, the quality is like none other. every strand gets captured if you use flash

opti

Established Member
Reaction score
So most of us expecting some few terminals sprouting of balding zones?i just saw 2-3 of them getting out of my bald vellus hair temple and they are dark and thick.Perhaps i need to go harder on rolling to get more of them(more rolling= more hair,hopefully).

Im going to roll hard with 0,5mm and afterwards hard again with the 1,5mm to cover up epidermis/dermis , i hope i wont get any scarring from that:eek:.

what do you guys think could be good post wound day topicals ?
I ll getting my ecgc and taurine next week (for bodybuilding purposes,but they could do good jobs on scalp too).Taurine acts anti fibrotic and egcg seems to accelerate cell proliferation

danawhite1

Established Member
Reaction score
So most of us expecting some few terminals sprouting of balding zones?i just saw 2-3 of them getting out of my bald vellus hair temple and they are dark and thick.Perhaps i need to go harder on rolling to get more of them(more rolling= more hair,hopefully).

Im going to roll hard with 0,5mm and afterwards hard again with the 1,5mm to cover up epidermis/dermis , i hope i wont get any scarring from that:eek:.

what do you guys think could be good post wound day topicals ?
I ll getting my ecgc and taurine next week (for bodybuilding purposes,but they could do good jobs on scalp too).Taurine acts anti fibrotic and egcg seems to accelerate cell proliferation

nice. what helps me get through the pain is seeing my scalp with the red bloody dots imagining im getting a hair transplant. im on the 1.5 but dam i would love to use a 0.5 and thats it. does it have to be 1.5? cause this ****in hurts like hell since i do it on my sides due to dupa. and i wouldnt know about any post wound topicals. all i know is minoxidil, finasteride, nizoral, and regenepure.

im hearing that nizoral counteracts inflammation needed from wounding, whats the timeline of when to and not to use nizoral?

opti

Established Member
Reaction score
nice. what helps me get through the pain is seeing my scalp with the red bloody dots imagining im getting a hair transplant. im on the 1.5 but dam i would love to use a 0.5 and thats it. does it have to be 1.5? cause this ****in hurts like hell since i do it on my sides due to dupa. and i wouldnt know about any post wound topicals. all i know is minoxidil, finasteride, nizoral, and regenepure.

im hearing that nizoral counteracts inflammation needed from wounding, whats the timeline of when to and not to use nizoral?
some ppl said 3-4 days after wounding.But i d suggest you to use nizoral before u roll. Binds to some dht weakly and that effect last for about 2 days.

0.5mm sound easy and not hurting,but if you go hard its hurting alot,even more then with 1,5mm for me :O

Haircules

Reaction score
@squeegee: here is no one your b**ch - if you dont want to post any photos as you promised some posts before ("i will post photos tomorrow") - just don't - case closed

Breaking Bald

Established Member
Reaction score
So these pics Squeegee? Where are they?

Status
Not open for further replies.