New Dermaroller Study; Thoughts, comments?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoodToBeRich

Reaction score
So I’ve been on finasteride/Min/nizoral for about a month, dermarolling for a few weeks now, but haven’t gone above a 1.0mm yet. I have a 1.5 and am debating going for it. My only hesitation is the fact that while I’m about an NW6, I have pretty decent vellus coverage already. Do you guys think I would benefit more from just continuing with the big 3? Did anyone that has been rolling start with vellus coverage, and documented the effects?

Youcandoit

Established Member
Reaction score
So I’ve been on finasteride/Min/nizoral for about a month, dermarolling for a few weeks now, but haven’t gone above a 1.0mm yet. I have a 1.5 and am debating going for it. My only hesitation is the fact that while I’m about an NW6, I have pretty decent vellus coverage already. Do you guys think I would benefit more from just continuing with the big 3? Did anyone that has been rolling start with vellus coverage, and documented the effects?

It all depends on how long you've been on them, and your progress with them, but as far as dermarolling it would only help in my opinion, dermarolling is good for blood flow and development of new cells, all the ingredients to grow hair.

GoodToBeRich

Reaction score
It all depends on how long you've been on them, and your progress with them, but as far as dermarolling it would only help in my opinion, dermarolling is good for blood flow and development of new cells, all the ingredients to grow hair.

Thanks. I have seen some mention about damage and/or shed of existing vellus hairs when going to 1.5mm, but that has been discounted as being an acceptable trade-off for new terminal hairs. Just wondering if I should go to 1.5 since I have mostly full vellus coverage. Probably still worth it if finasteride/Min will not turn these vellus terminal.

casperz

Experienced Member
Reaction score
We don't need a bunch of b****s here. We need dedicated optimistic people that want to achieve results.
:punk:

I've been trying to regrow hair now for 6 years. And the best thing I can tell you is it takes a LONG time to see results. Count on anything you do, or any change to take three or four months to see if it works or not. I can tell you how to grow hair, if you want something proven, just jump on the big three. If you want something that may or may not work but has the chance to be the cure then try Derma rolling or any of the other things that people are trying.

The pics below are from my regime from 2007 to 2010. The first picture is 8 months into KSR (big 3 plus a lot of other crap), the second picture is after 36 months in 2010. KSR worked great on the vertex for me but I had very little regrowth in the front. I felt the risk/reward of using finasteride was too great and I dropped it about 19 months ago and I've been able to maintain.

The bottom line is, it's going to take 6 months to see if DR 1.5mm/minoxidil has merit. For me that's April 1, 2014, for others sooner. If we don't start seeing pictures in January or February we will have our answer. Right now DR is working better than anything I've tried but will the hairs continue to grow and cycle? We'll know next year.

Attachments

• compare_crown.jpg
    compare_crown.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 2,171
  • IMG_7061.jpg
    IMG_7061.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 523

Youcandoit

Established Member
Reaction score

I've been trying to regrow hair now for 6 years. And the best thing I can tell you is it takes a LONG time to see results. Count on anything you do, or any change to take three or four months to see if it works or not. I can tell you how to grow hair, if you want something proven, just jump on the big three. If you want something that may or may not work but has the chance to be the cure then try Derma rolling or any of the other things that people are trying.

The pics below are from my regime from 2007 to 2010. The first picture is 8 months into KSR (big 3 plus a lot of other crap), the second picture is after 36 months in 2010. KSR worked great on the vertex for me but I had very little regrowth in the front. I felt the risk/reward of using finasteride was too great and I dropped it about 19 months ago and I've been able to maintain.

The bottom line is, it's going to take 6 months to see if DR 1.5mm/minoxidil has merit. For me that's April 1, 2014, for others sooner. If we don't start seeing pictures in January or February we will have our answer. Right now DR is working better than anything I've tried but will the hairs continue to grow and cycle? We'll know next year.

What are the big 3, all I know is finasteride and minoxyl, what's the other? Also what's ksr

casperz

Experienced Member
Reaction score
What are the big 3, all I know is finasteride and minoxyl, what's the other? Also what's ksr

See my progress thread from 2007-2010: http://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/showthread.php/35120-Success-on-KSR-with-pics

The best it got was the pics on page 7: http://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/showthread.php/35120-Success-on-KSR-with-pics/page7 about 16 months into KSR. My vertex hair was thick and healthy. The downside was my hairline may have inched down slightly, but never saw the same success as the vertex. And the KSR routine took at least an hour a day if not more. Way too much time for a guy that previously rolled out of bed 15 minutes before leaving the house. But to go from slick bald on top to that was pretty cool.

KSR is finasteride,minoxidil,retin A,nizoral,MSM/topical/oral MSM, topical spironolactone, topical B12, rolling(.5mm), miconazole nitrate, Emu Oil, Castor Oil, Progesterone cream, Hydrocortizone. Some of those were added later.

Started with 5% minoxidil then 15%, settled on large amounts of 5% multiple times daily, all topical treatments were at various times and durations during that 2007-2010 period.

Youcandoit

Established Member
Reaction score
See my progress thread from 2007-2010: http://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/showthread.php/35120-Success-on-KSR-with-pics

The best it got was the pics on page 7: http://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/showthread.php/35120-Success-on-KSR-with-pics/page7 about 16 months into KSR. My vertex hair was thick and healthy. The downside was my hairline may have inched down slightly, but never saw the same success as the vertex. And the KSR routine took at least an hour a day if not more. Way too much time for a guy that previously rolled out of bed 15 minutes before leaving the house. But to go from slick bald on top to that was pretty cool.

KSR is finasteride,minoxidil,retin A,nizoral,MSM/topical/oral MSM, topical spironolactone, topical B12, rolling(.5mm), miconazole nitrate, Emu Oil, Castor Oil, Progesterone cream, Hydrocortizone. Some of those were added later.

Started with 5% minoxidil then 15%, settled on large amounts of 5% multiple times daily, all topical treatments were at various times and durations during that 2007-2010 period.

Thanks is nizoral the other big 3? Also have you ever tried any stem cell supplements or topicals

casperz

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Yes finasteride/minoxidil/nizoral is the big 3. No other topicals other than what I've listed.

GoodToBeRich

Reaction score
Any thoughts on using bactine spray post-rolling as an infection preventative? Could that lessen the wounding effectiveness? I think most bactine has a pain killer added, but not sure if it's an anti-inflammatory.

Billy_Elvis

Reaction score
Been rolling with 1.5mm and minoxidil every week for 10 weeks now. Started seeing progress but seem to have shed a lot I'm the last week.

However my biggest concern is my rapid weight gain in the last 4-6 weeks (1-2 lbs per week despite healthy and no change in lifestyle). I assume it might be attributable to increased absorption of the minoxidil. Anyone else experiencing this?

Thnx

albert

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Been rolling with 1.5mm and minoxidil every week for 10 weeks now. Started seeing progress but seem to have shed a lot I'm the last week.

However my biggest concern is my rapid weight gain in the last 4-6 weeks (1-2 lbs per week despite healthy and no change in lifestyle). I assume it might be attributable to increased absorption of the minoxidil. Anyone else experiencing this?

I think you're the very first guy reporting this possible side effect. I cannot see the relationship between Minoxidil<->increased absorption<->weight increase though.

danawhite1

Established Member
Reaction score
like someone said earlier, things that are healthy for your hair may not be healthy for other parts of your body. example: finasteride kills ur dick, minoxidil makes your heart breakdance, etc. i need advice on minoxidil...my face is ok but the bags under my eyes are really visible, which i thought was due to drinking too much but i havent drank in a while. face gets swollen often too. whats the best way to use minoxidil to avoid those symptoms the most? squeege said to not use it before bed as it may get on my face on the pillow but what other methods and timing for minoxidil will help minimize the swollen face/baggy eyes? dermarolling makes minoxidil work more effectively but also makes the side effects more effective as well

Mikazz

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok I have been doing the derma roller thing for a little bit more than 3 months now! AND..... New small visible terminal hairs start to pop!!!

At first they were non visible from a naked eye (I needed to take photo with my macro lens to see the results.) I guess it may be depressing to some because it's almost impossible to see your results at first because you may not see your new hairs with your naked eyes.

Its just slowly getting better with time. Those *new* terminal hairs are still a lot weaker than the hairs I have on the sides of my head (and they are not as dark too), but it's better than nothing. I will take new picture when my new setup will be done.

buddyebsen1

Reaction score
like someone said earlier, things that are healthy for your hair may not be healthy for other parts of your body. example: finasteride kills ur dick, minoxidil makes your heart breakdance, etc. i need advice on minoxidil...my face is ok but the bags under my eyes are really visible, which i thought was due to drinking too much but i havent drank in a while. face gets swollen often too. whats the best way to use minoxidil to avoid those symptoms the most? squeege said to not use it before bed as it may get on my face on the pillow but what other methods and timing for minoxidil will help minimize the swollen face/baggy eyes? dermarolling makes minoxidil work more effectively but also makes the side effects more effective as well

You may want to try retin-a on your face.

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score

Thnx

Hit the gym. Getting fat on minoxidil! common! A lot of guys have a tendency to gain weight before Winter.. you Avatar is awesome!

- - - Updated - - -

He is eating mustard all day he barely has time to do anything else

nope. I am on 2 hours notice to go to the Phillipines for humanity help, the joy of being in the Military.

- - - Updated - - -

Pretty awesome progress there Casperz!

- - - Updated - - -

The trick is to wait until you head is totally dry. Wet skin is really permeable. Also rinse your head before bed so minoxidil doesn't end up in your face with you pumpkin lay down and moving on the pillow.

Status
Not open for further replies.