New Article on Shiseido Trial

Blackber

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I couldn't read the original article but if Hellouser likes it, it's fine by me.

These guys were always my favourites, let's keep our fingers crossed.

This is probably a stupid question but here it goes: Why only in Japan? Any chance we could get this in Europe and when?

Replicel has a licensing agreement with Shiseido for parts of Asia - most importantly Japan because of Japan's new stem cell friendly regulations. If the product works I'm sure other countries will eventually get Replicel so if repeat injections are required chances are we won't have to go back to Japan every single time.

Shiseido is also paying for all the clinical trials in Japan. From what I've read Replicel doesn't seem to want to run their own clinical trials because they cost a lot of money. They prefer to license out their technology to other/bigger partners for a fee or a percentage of their sales thus keeping their (Replicel's) costs low which is a pretty smart business model for a new company, they're putting the financial burden on Shiseido. Again I can't see Shiseido taking on those costs AND building a facility in Kobe dedicated solely for this treatment if they weren't impressed with Replicel.

Seems like it is because Japan has new laws for that kind of research (stem cells) which makes it faster for companies to release their products.

I remember listening to an interview with Lee Buckler where he said Japan was a priority for them because their regulations allow the possibility of bringing their treatments to commercialization more quickly. Theoretically the faster Replicel/Shiseido comes to market, the faster Replicel makes money, the more confident they'll feel about spending money to bring Replicel to clinical trials in other countries.

Blackber

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Hopefully, if repeat treatments are needed, it will be available in the US by the time a 2nd treatment is needed. Not sure what their plans are for US approvals, though, so it seems unlikely (that's also assuming everything goes well in Japan).

Agreed, I'm hoping for the same but there's no amount of money or traveling within my means that would stop me from trying to get my hair back lol

hwezdarik

Established Member
Reaction score
Watched Replicel's Androgenetic Alopecia treatment video recently. If it is true what they claim and it actually works then OMFG... We are soon to be NW1s and them billionaires :)

br1

Reaction score
Watched Replicel's Androgenetic Alopecia treatment video recently. If it is true what they claim and it actually works then OMFG... We are soon to be NW1s and them billionaires :)

if it wasn't for the lack of updates.. Are they actually moving with this?? If you google it you only find 'news' from 2012 / 2014.. :'-(

hwezdarik

Established Member
Reaction score
if it wasn't for the lack of updates.. Are they actually moving with this?? If you google it you only find 'news' from 2012 / 2014.. :'-(

According to their facebook page.. they are to start trials in Japan this year and want to have it commercially available by 2018 :).... I wish it were true :/

Mr White

Established Member
Reaction score
Seems like it is because Japan has new laws for that kind of research (stem cells) which makes it faster for companies to release their products.

Thanks for your replies, guys. Lots and lots of great info on this thread.

I'm no expert on the matter but there are many clinics in Europe that already provide all sorts of stem cell treatments. If this product already exists and has been proven safe and effective, surely they could open clinics here. Or not? Would the EMA be a problem?

Thanks again!

hwezdarik

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your replies, guys. Lots and lots of great info on this thread.

I'm no expert on the matter but there are many clinics in Europe that already provide all sorts of stem cell treatments. If this product already exists and has been proven safe and effective, surely they could open clinics here. Or not? Would the EMA be a problem?

Thanks again!

Seems that Japan is less strict over all those protocols regarding new treatments and Mexico is similar but for new drugs... I guess it must be hell for pharma comps to get FDA approve anything. The EU is probably a bit more open minded in this respect... If the treatment is proved to be save and effective, the EU is certainly next as their market and then the US. By the time the FDA approves the treatment millions of men will fly over to Europe to get it done.

Aliens

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey guy,

Could I have a quick summary or confirmation from what I understood from Replicel/Shiseido.

First, Replicel is the treatment, and Shiseido the company funding it.

Second, Replicel involves using existing hair in order to growth stem cells. Once culvivated, these cells are implanted on the scalp. Have I understood it clearly? Because I find my explanation not consistent with the idea of using injections? Or maybe I understood nothing?

Thank you for any information!

Pray The Bald Away

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey guy,

Could I have a quick summary or confirmation from what I understood from Replicel/Shiseido.

Second, Replicel involves using existing hair in order to growth stem cells. Once culvivated, these cells are implanted on the scalp. Have I understood it clearly? Because I find my explanation not consistent with the idea of using injections? Or maybe I understood nothing?

Shiseido only owns rights to the proceedure in Japan. They are the subject of a lot of forum discussion because they are located in a very favorable area for new treatments to reach the market quickly. Plus they have invested themselves substantially into the procedure. Also, they wont be creating follicles in vitro. They will be culturing the cells and then injecting them into the scalp so they can develop in the and grow in the skin. It would be far too time consuming and inefficient to create complete follicles to be transplanted.

Swoop

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey guy,

Watch and learn (put the subtitles on, replicel technology starts at 6.20);

[video=youtube;oKRwlNuDMU0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKRwlNuDMU0[/video]

Tomtom21

Established Member
Reaction score

swoop remember the genetic expressions that were released a few weeks back about all the genes a/w hair color, type, balding etc? well technically from that research couldnt replicel definitively prove or disprove their theory that the dsc/dp from the back of the head are dht resistant and have a different expression of the gene a/w androgen receptor sensitivity?

Aliens

Established Member
Reaction score

Wow thank you that sound so great! But now I am a little worried that this technology will not be sustainable for people who already got an hair transplant. I mean if this work, would it mean that residual follical on the implanted area are 1) still alive: then you would end up with an incredible amount of hair on the implanted area; 2) dead because of this surgery (I mean I am not sure that implanting hair in hair transplant let the old follical alive if they happen to be just beneath the point of implantation) then no problem.

It would be great if anyone could get this kind of informations!

br1

Reaction score
Did anybody watched the "part 2" video, where the researcher says they still working on it and it would take another 10 years to be ready for human use??? Did I miss something here?

youngl

Reaction score
Did anybody watched the "part 2" video, where the researcher says they still working on it and it would take another 10 years to be ready for human use??? Did I miss something here?

@br1 If Im correct, think Part 2 is not about Replicel's treatment its Dr. Takashi Tsuji treatment.

Wow thank you that sound so great! But now I am a little worried that this technology will not be sustainable for people who already got an hair transplant. I mean if this work, would it mean that residual follical on the implanted area are 1) still alive: then you would end up with an incredible amount of hair on the implanted area; 2) dead because of this surgery (I mean I am not sure that implanting hair in hair transplant let the old follical alive if they happen to be just beneath the point of implantation) then no problem.

It would be great if anyone could get this kind of informations!

@Aliens Read this thread http://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/showthread.php/97688-New-Article-on-Shiseido-Trial ;)

Last edited:

Pray The Bald Away

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The 10 year time frame was given for the effective use of iPS cells for hair regeneration. Tsuji and Replicel's work with hair is entirely unrelated to this.