New Article on Shiseido Trial

Blackber

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I meant other way around for Replicel and Tsuji. I wish whatever Tsuji has cooked up was projected to be on the market by 2018 and Replicel to be 5-10 years away.

I doubt Replicel will achieve a NW0 but if it did I'd prefer that. I thought we all would.

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
Tammy George is no longer with Replicel, their Director of Communications. :/

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
Funny how funding is such a massive issue for all these companies considering the huge potential market desperate for a cure. Literally 10s, maybe hundreds of millions of potential customers in an under serviced market. I wonder if this restructuring will affect Replicel as a whole, or some divisions more than others. Their hair loss research already has a big commercial partner in Shiseido, I wonder if that will shield them somewhat from the structuring/downsizing issues... We can only hope.

distracted

Established Member
Reaction score

Stock down 3.45% today.

"downsize all non-critical programs and staff in an effort to preserve capital to focus on the following three essential priorities pending a major financing or corporate transaction: (1) continued protection of intellectual property, (2) assembling of data from the RCT-01 and RCS-01 clinical trials expected near year-end 2016, and (3) the completion of a licensing/co-development transaction related to one of the four products the Company has in development "

Not even a mention of RCH-01.

Follisket

Established Member
Reaction score
I know, right? If someone told me years ago I'd one day be dying to throw 30.000 € at anyone who could regrow my hair yet still not have any chance of fixing hair loss, I'd call them insane. You could buy a house with that money, a friggen house! What even.

Also:
"downsize all non-critical programs (...)

Sons of.

Blackber

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Funny how funding is such a massive issue for all these companies considering the huge potential market desperate for a cure. Literally 10s, maybe hundreds of millions of potential customers in an under serviced market. I wonder if this restructuring will affect Replicel as a whole, or some divisions more than others. Their hair loss research already has a big commercial partner in Shiseido, I wonder if that will shield them somewhat from the structuring/downsizing issues... We can only hope.

Shiseido has an agreement with Replicel to use their technology. I think even if Replicel went under that wouldn't stop Shiseido from moving forward.

I also don't see this as a terrible thing as it relates to us - it's obviously terrible for the hard working people that lost their jobs.

I think Replicel has diversified themselves a bit (hair regeneration is no longer their only treatment in the pipeline), which is good. It'll make it easier for them to deal with regulatory delays if they have other products in the pipeline that are still moving forward i.e. other sources of income, other reasons to invest.

Also, they're basically trimming the fat off their company in an effort to "make it to the finish line." It would presumably take a lot more manpower to develop new treatments and promote the company to the public. Now that they're waiting for clinical trials to complete and regulatory approvals they probably don't need as big a work force since they're in somewhat of a holding pattern as opposed to actively trying to develop new treatments.

Again you obviously feel for the good people that lost their jobs but I wouldn't be so quick to label this as a reason to lose all hope as it relates to us.

Stock down 3.45% today.

"downsize all non-critical programs and staff in an effort to preserve capital to focus on the following three essential priorities pending a major financing or corporate transaction: (1) continued protection of intellectual property, (2) assembling of data from the RCT-01 and RCS-01 clinical trials expected near year-end 2016, and (3) the completion of a licensing/co-development transaction related to one of the four products the Company has in development "

I take that as meaning RCH-01. My feeling is that they're letting Shiseido float the costs of the trials and development of RCH-01. Why would they spend their limited resources on it when they can let a huge company like Shiseido foot the bill, sit back and wait to see how effective it is.

hilbert

Established Member
Reaction score
Shiseido has an agreement with Replicel to use their technology. I think even if Replicel went under that wouldn't stop Shiseido from moving forward.

I take that as meaning RCH-01. My feeling is that they're letting Shiseido float the costs of the trials and development of RCH-01. Why would they spend their limited resources on it when they can let a huge company like Shiseido foot the bill, sit back and wait to see how effective it is.

agree. after the initial shock, I also read RCH-01 in that line.

Pray The Bald Away

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

I also don't see this as a terrible thing as it relates to us - it's obviously terrible for the hard working people that lost their jobs.

I think Replicel has diversified themselves a bit (hair regeneration is no longer their only treatment in the pipeline), which is good. It'll make it easier for them to deal with regulatory delays if they have other products in the pipeline that are still moving forward i.e. other sources of income, other reasons to invest.

Also, they're basically trimming the fat off their company in an effort to "make it to the finish line." It would presumably take a lot more manpower to develop new treatments and promote the company to the public. Now that they're waiting for clinical trials to complete and regulatory approvals they probably don't need as big a work force since they're in somewhat of a holding pattern as opposed to actively trying to develop new treatments.

Again you obviously feel for the good people that lost their jobs but I wouldn't be so quick to label this as a reason to lose all hope as it relates to us.

Shiseido is just doing the procedure in Japan. If RCH-01 really worked, do you think it would be part of the fat that they're trimming? A cure for baldness would turn everyone on their board into Mr. Moneybags.

Blackber

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Shiseido is just doing the procedure in Japan. If RCH-01 really worked, do you think it would be part of the fat that they're trimming? A cure for baldness would turn everyone on their board into Mr. Moneybags.

Yes Shiseido is only doing the treatment in Asia but Replicel has a partnership with a monster of a company who is willing to pay for all the clinical and distribution expenses (take all the risk). It doesn't make business sense for them to fund clinical trials all over the world with their own money, especially when they have no experience with taking drugs to market. They've expressed multiple times that they prefer to license their technology to bigger partners, sit back and take their cut of the pie.

They never said they were stopping development of RCH-01, they're basically laying off non-essential personnel.

Would I prefer that they had the money and need to keep those people employed? Of course I would, not only for them but it would make Replicel feel like a company with a stronger foundation.

But being someone that works for a family business I understand what Replicel is doing. There are times when you are "asset rich and cash poor" and you need to limit your spending and harvest your cash to keep yourself afloat until those assets (RCH-01) pay off. You could have all the assets in the world but if you don't have the money to stay alive until they pay off there's no point.

Pray The Bald Away

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes Shiseido is only doing the treatment in Asia but Replicel has a partnership with a monster of a company who is willing to pay for all the clinical and distribution expenses (take all the risk). It doesn't make business sense for them to fund clinical trials all over the world with their own money, especially when they have no experience with taking drugs to market. They've expressed multiple times that they prefer to license their technology to bigger partners, sit back and take their cut of the pie.

They never said they were stopping development of RCH-01, they're basically laying off non-essential personnel.

Would I prefer that they had the money and need to keep those people employed? Of course I would, not only for them but it would make Replicel feel like a company with a stronger foundation.

But being someone that works for a family business I understand what Replicel is doing. There are times when you are "asset rich and cash poor" and you need to limit your spending and harvest your cash to keep yourself afloat until those assets (RCH-01) pay off. You could have all the assets in the world but if you don't have the money to stay alive until they pay off there's no point.
Perhaps. Though I'm curious to see if they find a partner to bring it to market in the US.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think it will be long before we see a cure come to market, with or without replicel. To be honest, I never had much faith in them anyway. They seemed to have jumped the gun and worked on a project that science hadn't yet made possible. All potential investor hype is pretty much gone now.

distracted

Established Member
Reaction score

Perhaps. Though I'm curious to see if they find a partner to bring it to market in the US.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think it will be long before we see a cure come to market, with or without replicel. To be honest, I never had much faith in them anyway. They seemed to have jumped the gun and worked on a project that science hadn't yet made possible. All potential investor hype is pretty much gone now.

Where is that optimism coming from? When I joined there was a laundry list of exciting new treatments, and since then I've slowly been crossing them off one by one. So depressing. Hate this ****.

Blackber

Experienced Member
Reaction score

- - - Updated - - -

Any investors/potential partners are going to wait and see how the Shiseido trials go. I agree that Replicel has talked a big game without showing us much of anything but getting Shiseido on board has to mean something. A company like that wouldn't sign on and build a new facility dedicated to this treatment if Replicel didn't show them something that had the potential to be a viable treatment.

Pray The Bald Away

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Where is that optimism coming from? When I joined there was a laundry list of exciting new treatments, and since then I've slowly been crossing them off one by one. So depressing. Hate this ****.
Stem cell research is getting very close. I can think of three accomplished research labs working toward this final goal and they've all been making impressive progress. The beauty of it is that we can look forward to two different methods of using stem cells for hair loss. On one hand we have iPS cells and on the other we have traditional dp cell culturing. Both are equally valid methods and have government funded teams pursuing them. I'm also extremely intrigued by Dr. Brotzu's formulation. It sounds suprisingly legitimate to my untrained eye. I'm really excited to see what the rest of this year brings.

- - - Updated - - -

Any investors/potential partners are going to wait and see how the Shiseido trials go. I agree that Replicel has talked a big game without showing us much of anything but getting Shiseido on board has to mean something. A company like that wouldn't sign on and build a new facility dedicated to this treatment if Replicel didn't show them something that had the potential to be a viable treatment.
Agreed.

Swoop

My Regimen
Reaction score
Shisheido is where it's at and the results will determine if it will go to market or not. They will obviously have to show better results than the 6% average increase in hair count that Replicel showed in their first clinical trial.

Let's say it would show 20%++ increase in hair count on average then I personally can see it launching on the market. That's is the most reasonable and realistic expectation anyway. Something that presents (way) better results than PRP making it worth the cost and without side effects. At the very least it has present some cosmetic impact on average. Something like minoxidil can do basically but with a higher response rate. Hopefully it will turn out to be something even greater though.

If Shisheido fails however it would be a huge bummer to me as I don't see anything exciting at all currently aside from Tsuji obviously but that is still going to take some time. A miracle may always arise but ain't going to count on that.