My Zix Experience - How B6 And Zinc Have Saved My Hair

worm

My Regimen
Reaction score
@worm
Hi! Thanks for what you do! I want to start applying zix, but the problem is that I'm from Russia and can not order zinc and b6 from links that you posted. I found the ingredients available in my country, could you please say whether they suitable for a zix:
-------------------------------------------------- -------------------
composition of zinc tablets:
Zinc sulfate heptahydrate 124 mg
Auxiliary substances: potato starch, povidone, talc, magnesium stearate, lactose monohydrate.
Sheath: hypromellose (hydroxypropylmethylcellulose), macrogol (polyoxyethylene glycol), titanium dioxide, azorubin E122 varnish.
composition b6 p5p tablets:
b6 p5p 50 mg
Other Ingredients
Dicalcium phosphate, methacrylic acid, microcrystalline cellulose, plant cellulose, vegetable magnesium stearate, riboflavin, titanium dioxide (color), glyceryl triacetate, vegetable glycerin.

Both sound just good. I would use 5 or 6 capsules of the zinc to equal what I use (660 mgs of zinc sulfate). Use 3 b6 capsules. Good luck!

Heinrich Harrer

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I used to take 200-250mg of p5p b6 daily to “combat teh gyno!”. Did nothing for gyno, it did however do something on my hair. Like, better color, slightly better density and the one I’m sure of was it made them stronger. Nothing serious tho, same Norwood as before.

JWM2

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi @worm

Interesting update for you. Saw my friend recently. He said he still uses Zix, but now only uses it once a day, and, get this, he no longer ads p-5-p to it. Just zinc. I asked him why and he said he ran out of it and never bothered to re-order. He said he has just been using zinc and distilled water for going on almost a year now and he said he think it works just as well. FYI, he is still applying minoxidil twice a day. He uses the foam. Says he applies zinc first, waits a few minutes, then applies foam. His hair looked pretty good.

worm

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi @worm

Interesting update for you. Saw my friend recently. He said he still uses Zix, but now only uses it once a day, and, get this, he no longer ads p-5-p to it. Just zinc. I asked him why and he said he ran out of it and never bothered to re-order. He said he has just been using zinc and distilled water for going on almost a year now and he said he think it works just as well. FYI, he is still applying minoxidil twice a day. He uses the foam. Says he applies zinc first, waits a few minutes, then applies foam. His hair looked pretty good.

Cool. Thanks for the update. I tried zinc alone for many months and it was not as effective. I wasnt shedding much, but my hair thinned some and it took me time to realize. More power to your friend though. I feel like I've lost some ground, especially on my hairline. I'm tempted to use minoxidil, and even have 6 bottles gathering dust in my closet.

So exactly what does pretty good mean? How is the guy and can you describe his hair to me??

mryellowman

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@worm

Hey, what do you think about this shampoo's ingredients?

Attachments

• IMG_20180907_013421.jpg
    IMG_20180907_013421.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 294

worm

My Regimen
Reaction score
@worm

Hey, what do you think about this shampoo's ingredients?

Looks ok. I wouldnt let the idea of zinc and b6 make you think that it's just as good as zix. I use h&s and apply a small amount of b6 shampoo. I dont know if it does anything, but I do know zix works. That said I think h&s does help in my regimen, and when I dont use it for a few days i shed a little more.

JWM2

Established Member
Reaction score
@worm He's in his late 30's, and I would say it looks like he has a decent head of hair with mild thinning throughout that looks more like age-related loss than male pattern baldness. He noticed thinning back in his early 20's and hopped on Propecia, but then stopped taking it after a few months, I can't remember why, but I know it wasn't side effect related. I think he got lazy again and just didn't refill it.

His thinning continued (more diffuse than anything) and I eventually mentioned Zix to him. It was kind of selfish on my part, to be honest LOL, because I wanted him to be a guinea pig and see if Zix on its own would help him before telling him to get on the big 3. But he used Zix on its own and he said it helped. He added minoxidil a few years later when the foam came out (he tried the liquid and didn't like the greasy feel)

So basically, he stopped and thickened his diffuse loss (mild receding too) with Zix and minoxidil. I think he uses each one once a day. FYI, his dad and two of his brothers are like Norwood 4's.

worm

My Regimen
Reaction score
@worm He's in his late 30's, and I would say it looks like he has a decent head of hair with mild thinning throughout that looks more like age-related loss than male pattern baldness. He noticed thinning back in his early 20's and hopped on Propecia, but then stopped taking it after a few months, I can't remember why, but I know it wasn't side effect related. I think he got lazy again and just didn't refill it.

His thinning continued (more diffuse than anything) and I eventually mentioned Zix to him. It was kind of selfish on my part, to be honest LOL, because I wanted him to be a guinea pig and see if Zix on its own would help him before telling him to get on the big 3. But he used Zix on its own and he said it helped. He added minoxidil a few years later when the foam came out (he tried the liquid and didn't like the greasy feel)

So basically, he stopped and thickened his diffuse loss (mild receding too) with Zix and minoxidil. I think he uses each one once a day. FYI, his dad and two of his brothers are like Norwood 4's.

Thanks. How is his hairline?

I should probably give this a try, maybe in the new year.

JWM2

Established Member
Reaction score
I would guess he's a Norwood 2 with mild diffuse thinning. Everything he has said about them, I already mentioned. He's now using Zix without B6, and he uses Rogaine foam. He's getting older, so he said he doesn't care about his hair as much as he used to, but he still tries to use Zix and Rogaine at least once a day each.

worm

My Regimen
Reaction score
I would guess he's a Norwood 2 with mild diffuse thinning. Everything he has said about them, I already mentioned. He's now using Zix without B6, and he uses Rogaine foam. He's getting older, so he said he doesn't care about his hair as much as he used to, but he still tries to use Zix and Rogaine at least once a day each.

One last question, you mentioned he thickened using zix and minoxidil, would you say he hasn't lost any ground since he started using the two? Or would you say his hair has thinned/receded very slowly over the many years he has been using it?

JWM2

Established Member
Reaction score
It's hard to tell. I would almost definitely say that if he wasn't using them, his hair would be much worse. I do believe that a mature hairline is unavoidable for many men as they age. We would look kinda weird walking around with Eddie Munster hairlines in our 50's and up.

worm

My Regimen
Reaction score
It's hard to tell. I would almost definitely say that if he wasn't using them, his hair would be much worse. I do believe that a mature hairline is unavoidable for many men as they age. We would look kinda weird walking around with Eddie Munster hairlines in our 50's and up.

Totally agree. When I was in my 20's I wanted that teenage hairline. Now that I am in my 40's I'd love to have a better hairline than I do, with more density, but looking like a teenager is not what I would like either. I am tempted to get back on minoxidil, but it's a hassle, it's greasy, I dont want to become dependent, nor do I want to have side effects like dark circles and an aging face....

I am hoping we hear more from the brotzu camp in october, but I also feel like it's waiting for a unicorn to bring me a solution. If no news I am tempted to try minoxidil in Jan.

JWM2

Established Member
Reaction score
I think the dark circles thing is overblown. Sometimes I think this site should be BDD.com.

Use it once a day and I bet you'll be fine.

jared garnith

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I used zix and for a few months it worked where I'd only shed mildly but then those effects all went away and my balding progressed more rapidly ever since

worm

My Regimen
Reaction score
I used zix and for a few months it worked where I'd only shed mildly but then those effects all went away and my balding progressed more rapidly ever since

In about 13-14 years on. I cant say qith certainty it's as effective as day 1, but it's been 14 years. I've lost ground for sure, but at 41 I have more hair than most my age. How many months did u use it? As I ask because i go through periods where i shed much more than other seasons in the month.