My Zix Experience - How B6 And Zinc Have Saved My Hair

markymark48

My Regimen
Reaction score
A hydrated scalp absorbs topicals far, far better.

Ok so, what would be the best way to do this? Get out of the shower, towel dry my hair and apply the topical right away?

How about if I didn't just shower before... Just wet my scalp with water, wait a few minutes and apply topical? Something like that?

Is that what everyone does? Major revelation for me there. lol

Does Revivogen contain Zinc and B6?

I believe it does. I think Revivogen is the closest to Zix you can get from a commercial product.

Last edited:

JWM2

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok so, what would be the best way to do this? Get out of the shower, towel dry my hair and apply the topical right away?

EXACTLY.

How about if I didn't just shower before... Just wet my scalp with water, wait a few minutes and apply topical? Something like that?

That could work, I guess. Just make sure the water is hot and hits the scalp to really open those pores. Soak your head in the water as long as possible.

Massive

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I use ecological formulas, I can't say how well the other will work, except it should work as well. That said I don't find i respond the same to different brands.

I stopped the biotin, I think it was helping, but I don't respond well to it. I for some reason get mucousy and start getting a lung infection. I kind of respond to probiotics the same way. I'm not sure what causes that, but unfortunately I just don't seem to tolerate some things. The internet says candida, but I have been tested for it twice, once by my gp and another by my respirologist. I guess I've just decided it's best to avoid it in the end.

Thanks a bunch. I'm ordering all the stuff now. I will probably need your advice later on the zinc/b6 dosages and water/ethanol ratio, but those redirect shipping can take a month so I still gotta wait until I have everything ready.

I'm sorry to hear about your biotin reaction, that sounds messed up. And I know exactly you mean, when sometimes you don't know what's causing what it's better to stop taking things that may not be all that necessary.
Also, just wondering, have you posted pictures of your current hair condition? I'd be curious to see.

worm

My Regimen
Reaction score
@Massive just seeing your request now. Here are some pics I just took.

The first is directly under a halogen beam, the second is under both incandescent and halogen is just off to the side, the last you can see my recession. My hair is a little greasy so looks thinner than when it's washed.

Ive receeded about an inch in the past 10 years. Im 40 in 5 days, I consider my hair to be pretty good considering Ive been fighting male pattern baldness for over 2 decades, and been off finasteride for the past 12.5 years.

20170511_144447_resized.jpg 20170511_144515_resized.jpg 20170511_144554_resized.jpg

Massive

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

The first is directly under a halogen beam, the second is under both incandescent and halogen is just off to the side, the last you can see my recession. My hair is a little greasy so looks thinner than when it's washed.

Ive receeded about an inch in the past 10 years. Im 40 in 5 days, I consider my hair to be pretty good considering Ive been fighting male pattern baldness for over 2 decades, and been off finasteride for the past 12.5 years.

View attachment 52974 View attachment 52975 View attachment 52976

Man your hair looks great!
If I saw you down the street I'd be thinking in my head "another !@#$ing guy older than me with pretty much full hair", so take that as a compliment :) Also You still got your hair color. You got a bit of recession, but whatever, you're holding up very well. Thanks for posting.
Also, I would imagine that people guess you looking much younger than 40 with that hair and color retained.

farisayeh

Reaction score

which norwood is it your father and grandfather (mom) ?

worm

My Regimen
Reaction score
Man your hair looks great!
If I saw you down the street I'd be thinking in my head "another !@#$ing guy older than me with pretty much full hair", so take that as a compliment :) Also You still got your hair color. You got a bit of recession, but whatever, you're holding up very well. Thanks for posting.
Also, I would imagine that people guess you looking much younger than 40 with that hair and color retained.

Thanks man, I hate to post these things, because I know im doing well, and some may say you're not balding. But trust me when I say this, I have gone through periods where Ive shed hundreds of hairs in a day, I was told by two dermatologist I was going bald, as far back as 20 years ago. And when I dont treat it, the process starts up again. I see miniaturized hairs, barely 1/2 cm and squiggly, knowing those hairs wont be back. And I was losing tons when I quit finasteride some 12 years ago. And when I started zix, I saw my shedding go from 150+ hairs a day down under 20. Without it, I am confident I'd be reaching the heights of the Norwood scale.

worm

My Regimen
Reaction score
which norwood is it your father and grandfather (mom) ?

It's funny, I get that question from time to time. And everyone else seems to have youngish parents, with the exception of myself a couple people I know. My grandfather died 26 years ago, and my dad 2 years ago. I wish I had the chance to have known them for longer and that they were still around, but I also count myself lucky, because I wouldnt exist if that one sperm of the billions my dad produced hadnt made it through to result in my birth. Also, as my 40th bday approaches 4 days from now, I am repeating the same pattern as my dad, as I myself will have my first child past the age of 40. But I digress, those questions make me think about my dad, and about life itself. :)

To answer your question, my dad was fulll Norwood 7 bald. My grandfather on my dad's side was bald, while my grandfather on my mom's side had hair. He died in his later 80's, so he didnt anything close to brad pitt's hairline, but he still had some. That said, my mom's brother was Norwood 7, so there's definitely some baldness on that side of the family. So I think I definitely inherited the Norwood 7 gene. as mentioned in my post above, I was experiencing runaway shedding when I didnt actively treat it.

JWM2

Established Member
Reaction score

WORM!!! Your hair is amazing! You do NOT even look like you're thinning. Ugh.

spring15

My Regimen
Reaction score
I stopped the biotin, I think it was helping, but I don't respond well to it. I for some reason get mucousy and start getting a lung infection. I kind of respond to probiotics the same way. I'm not sure what causes that, but unfortunately I just don't seem to tolerate some things. .

I have the exact same problem, since starting biotin after my transplant I had a chest infection / mucousy cough, thought it was because its nearly winter down here & cold, but its the damn biotin...

Weird I haven't come across this thread, seems you've hit a gold mine :)

worm

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have the exact same problem, since starting biotin after my transplant I had a chest infection / mucousy cough, thought it was because its nearly winter down here & cold, but its the damn biotin...

Weird I haven't come across this thread, seems you've hit a gold mine :)

Yeah, totally frustrating, how the f does something seemingly as benign as biotin cause this. I've tried repeatedly as I had a hard time believing it was biotin giving me a chest infection. Not only that I get a ln even worse response to probiotics, full on bronchitis. Again repeated a few times, as I couldn't believe it. My friend claims I gave his wife some weird strain of lung infection as well (forget the name atm) . Nice to hear it's not just me.

worm

My Regimen
Reaction score
WORM!!! Your hair is amazing! You do NOT even look like you're thinning. Ugh.

Thanks jwm. I know it looks good, it looks much thinner when its greasy. But again, I've been through bouts of massive shedding and I am convinced without zix I would be nowhere close to what u have now without it.

yellowbluegrey

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey worm, I hate to do this but we're like 20 pages deep here haha; could you succinctly sum up your regime? I'm looking for something to help my hairline, yours is a topical solution right?

zixxiz

My Regimen
Reaction score
@worm , been a long time

hate to say this, but zix was not for me. the alcohol version just dried my (already dry) scalp and hair massively, but I have not noticed any improvement with distilled water only either. recently I tried to use just zinc sulphate + water (no b6), but I guess the 1 1/2 pill was still too concentrated for me. I assume that this could work for someone with a greasy scalp/hair as those dissolved zinc particles work similarly as talc/baby powder...they absorb the excessive sebum/scalp oils. maybe I should go back to Joe's version and go really easy on zinc, but the itch never went away so I'm kinda doubtful.

also, you've used finasteride for a very long time before starting Zix, so maybe your follicles kinda became more dht resistant along the way so you're able to maintain with Zix only. Considering how this topic was hot a few months back and now there's hardly anyone posting...I assume this either worked wonders for those other guys or they experienced what I did - no reduction in shedding whatsoever.

btw. I remember you insisted on p-5-p, but I've found some posts from 10+ yrs ago on another forum where a study was discussed that said that regular B6 was pro hair growth, while p-5-p inhibited it. did you ever try using zinc sulphate only?

also, what supplements do you use? ever had your hormones checked, were DHT and Estradiol high?

thanks in advance for your reply :D

worm

My Regimen
Reaction score
@worm , been a long time

hate to say this, but zix was not for me. the alcohol version just dried my (already dry) scalp and hair massively, but I have not noticed any improvement with distilled water only either. recently I tried to use just zinc sulphate + water (no b6), but I guess the 1 1/2 pill was still too concentrated for me. I assume that this could work for someone with a greasy scalp/hair as those dissolved zinc particles work similarly as talc/baby powder...they absorb the excessive sebum/scalp oils. maybe I should go back to Joe's version and go really easy on zinc, but the itch never went away so I'm kinda doubtful.

also, you've used finasteride for a very long time before starting Zix, so maybe your follicles kinda became more dht resistant along the way so you're able to maintain with Zix only. Considering how this topic was hot a few months back and now there's hardly anyone posting...I assume this either worked wonders for those other guys or they experienced what I did - no reduction in shedding whatsoever.

btw. I remember you insisted on p-5-p, but I've found some posts from 10+ yrs ago on another forum where a study was discussed that said that regular B6 was pro hair growth, while p-5-p inhibited it. did you ever try using zinc sulphate only?

also, what supplements do you use? ever had your hormones checked, were DHT and Estradiol high?

thanks in advance for your reply :D

Thanks for reporting back, I never knew how everyone would react, but unfortunately hearing from some that it does work for (see JWM's posts above) and others it doesnt, I suppose this isnt for everyone.

I am sorry this isnt quite working for you. I know it's worked wonders for me, but maybe that's for reasons unknown. I truly believe in zix, maybe original zix would work better, i dont know, I know it has for someone else Im speaking with.

This has been a trial and error process for me, but if you feel you are worse off so far with the experiment, I recommend dropping it. I really wish it did work.

Tell me though, how many hairs do you shed per day? and are you using anything else in conjunction?

zixxiz

My Regimen
Reaction score
@worm, how in god's name do you avoid having your hair covered in white particles from your (heavily saturated) zix? My hair is maybe an inch longer than yours and whenever I'd use zix I'd end up looking like I'm going thorugh a massive dandruff episode. Maybe it's because I've got diffuse thinning so I had to use it all over. Dunno.

I couldn't tell exactly how many per day as I see hair coming out easily throught the day. It's easy to spot if you got long hair. The worst is shampooing + blow drying...easily more than 100 there combined. Sometimes it looks like it's an entire lock that's come out.

Scrappy

Reaction score

Is that what everyone does? Major revelation for me there. lol

I believe it does. I think Revivogen is the closest to Zix you can get from a commercial product.
So why use this instead of Revivogen?