My Zix Experience - How B6 And Zinc Have Saved My Hair

bunchies

Reaction score
I've been using zix since mid November or something. I haven't noticed that much when it comes to hair growth. maybe some parts are a bit thicker I'm not sure. My scalp doesn't get the itch any more that I sometimes experienced tho.

@worm I just ordered some minoxidil to try it out after the summer. What is the best way to combine these? Since zix reduces the effects of minoxidil when applied to soon after each other.

worm

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've been using zix since mid November or something. I haven't noticed that much when it comes to hair growth. maybe some parts are a bit thicker I'm not sure. My scalp doesn't get the itch any more that I sometimes experienced tho.

@worm I just ordered some minoxidil to try it out after the summer. What is the best way to combine these? Since zix reduces the effects of minoxidil when applied to soon after each other.

There's no proof that it does, just a suspicion. Read jwm's posts. I believe if you wait 5-10 mins that should do it. If you wait longer say 30-60, that may be better.

worm

My Regimen
Reaction score
ok, so a little update for everyone. Ive been experiencing a bit more shedding the past couple weeks. Im probably losing around 25-30 hairs in the shower compared to the usual 5-15 I had improved to.

25-30 isnt really stressing me out, however I am noticing this increased shedding, which I believe shows things arent working as well as before.

Two things have changed though, 1) Ive started to work out quite a bit more, and am building muscle by adding considerable weight to my workouts. Im loving the increase in strength, as I was fit, but not as strong as I was 20 years ago. Nowadays though, I feel Im back there, and it's giving me a serious confidence boost due to my improved strength, posture and maybe more testosterone. And maybe this testosterone is causing more hair to shed.

The other 2) thing I have changed is im totally off vitamins/supplements. Notably, I quit zinc and vit d, for no reason other than laziness. Ive been off it for 2-3 weeks now, which happens to tie in closely with when I started noticing increased shedding, it does also correspond with using a new shampoo as well, but I dont think it's that.

So, here I am looking back on my regimen, and now wondering if maybe zix alone isnt the 1 thing that has been keeping my hair, but rather, it's but one of a couple cumulative things Im using. I'll be trying to identify what that might be. Firstly, I'll start back on my zinc supplements. Ive heard that zinc can help with hairloss, and other times, Ive heard it can aggravate it. My personal experience when i was 19, when my scalp was itching like crazy, led my derm to tell me to take zinc, which I ended up taking 25mgs of zinc gluconate. It made a huge difference, and the itching improved quite a bit and my shedding went down dramatically. I also noticed it helped with my libido, even at 19, my libido was low. Anycase, after 20+ years of supplementing, I would think Im not zinc deficient, but once in a while I get some minor symptoms that flare up which are quickly resolved with supplementation. I take zinc picolinate, 50mgs.

I'll also plan on dropping the new shampoo if the zinc doesnt work. I recently added a generic shampoo with b12 and mix that with my head and shoulders. I dont believe that's why Im shedding more, however if supplementing zinc doesnt help, then I suppose the shampoo can be the cause.

Point of everything im saying is that, Im starting to wonder if the reason why I have such good results is not only because of zix, but also because of the combination of taking 50mgs of zinc daily and zix, in which case may explain why I have significantly better results that some of you here. If not that then maybe the weight lifting is the cause then, which I dont plan on stopping for at least a few months, if at all. I suppose time will tell.

I'll keep you guys up to date.

stupidkoko

Reaction score
As I've understood, it's important to have zinc sulfate and I see that you're specifically taking Zinc Sulfate Heptahydrate.

I've found some zinc sulfate as in zinc sulfate monohydrate and can't really afford that shipping cost to Europe, do you think they differ and can affect the results?

My knowledge in chemistry is next to nothing, so in worst case excuse my ingenuity :(

worm

My Regimen
Reaction score
As I've understood, it's important to have zinc sulfate and I see that you're specifically taking Zinc Sulfate Heptahydrate.

I've found some zinc sulfate as in zinc sulfate monohydrate and can't really afford that shipping cost to Europe, do you think they differ and can affect the results?

My knowledge in chemistry is next to nothing, so in worst case excuse my ingenuity :(
I'm sorry I have no idea, I just use what's been working for me. I'm not sure what the difference is.

Massive

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
ok, so a little update for everyone. Ive been experiencing a bit more shedding the past couple weeks. Im probably losing around 25-30 hairs in the shower compared to the usual 5-15 I had improved to.

25-30 isnt really stressing me out, however I am noticing this increased shedding, which I believe shows things arent working as well as before.

Two things have changed though, 1) Ive started to work out quite a bit more, and am building muscle by adding considerable weight to my workouts. Im loving the increase in strength, as I was fit, but not as strong as I was 20 years ago. Nowadays though, I feel Im back there, and it's giving me a serious confidence boost due to my improved strength, posture and maybe more testosterone. And maybe this testosterone is causing more hair to shed.

The other 2) thing I have changed is im totally off vitamins/supplements. Notably, I quit zinc and vit d, for no reason other than laziness. Ive been off it for 2-3 weeks now, which happens to tie in closely with when I started noticing increased shedding, it does also correspond with using a new shampoo as well, but I dont think it's that.

So, here I am looking back on my regimen, and now wondering if maybe zix alone isnt the 1 thing that has been keeping my hair, but rather, it's but one of a couple cumulative things Im using. I'll be trying to identify what that might be. Firstly, I'll start back on my zinc supplements. Ive heard that zinc can help with hairloss, and other times, Ive heard it can aggravate it. My personal experience when i was 19, when my scalp was itching like crazy, led my derm to tell me to take zinc, which I ended up taking 25mgs of zinc gluconate. It made a huge difference, and the itching improved quite a bit and my shedding went down dramatically. I also noticed it helped with my libido, even at 19, my libido was low. Anycase, after 20+ years of supplementing, I would think Im not zinc deficient, but once in a while I get some minor symptoms that flare up which are quickly resolved with supplementation. I take zinc picolinate, 50mgs.

I'll also plan on dropping the new shampoo if the zinc doesnt work. I recently added a generic shampoo with b12 and mix that with my head and shoulders. I dont believe that's why Im shedding more, however if supplementing zinc doesnt help, then I suppose the shampoo can be the cause.

Point of everything im saying is that, Im starting to wonder if the reason why I have such good results is not only because of zix, but also because of the combination of taking 50mgs of zinc daily and zix, in which case may explain why I have significantly better results that some of you here. If not that then maybe the weight lifting is the cause then, which I dont plan on stopping for at least a few months, if at all. I suppose time will tell.

Thanks for sharing, always appreciate the little details you share with us.
Regarding zix, my zinc arrived from ebay but I'm still waiting for the B6 with the redirect shipping, should arrive soon.

Are you ever worried about copper deficiency taking 50mg zinc a day? I also take zinc from time to time and not sure if I should be worried about that.

Good luck in the gym!

Medina

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

There are quite a few guys (including myself) that have experienced shedding recently, looks like seasonal shed, swear it happened to me this time last year also

worm

My Regimen
Reaction score
There are quite a few guys (including myself) that have experienced shedding recently, looks like seasonal shed, swear it happened to me this time last year also

Interesting, I think I heard spring time is when your hair grows, now it's summer more or less... I just had a baby so I've been a bit lazy with the applications (down to 1x/day) and taking my supplements (not taking them). Ive been shedding more, not tons, but Im 30-35 hairs in the drain. Im not too stressed, but I'd like it to drop a bit.

@JWM2 - Just a quick question, has your friend who uses zix and minoxidil ever stopped minoxidil? Im just wondering if his growth really comes from minoxidil, or rather just the zix.... I know you said he sheds way more when he's off zix, and things stabilize when he starts zix up again, but has he ever done the opposite? meaning stopping minoxidil while continuing zix, and noticed what happens then?

JWM2

Established Member
Reaction score
@JWM2 - Just a quick question, has your friend who uses zix and minoxidil ever stopped minoxidil? Im just wondering if his growth really comes from minoxidil, or rather just the zix.... I know you said he sheds way more when he's off zix, and things stabilize when he starts zix up again, but has he ever done the opposite? meaning stopping minoxidil while continuing zix, and noticed what happens then?

I'm not sure. I can ask him. I know he used Zix on its own for awhile and it helped. I don't remember why he added minoxidil. I might have told him to LOL. I could be wrong, but I think I remember him saying that when he got really busy, he would use Zix during the day, and minoxidil at night, and didn't notice much difference than using both twice a day.

JWM2

Established Member
Reaction score
He definitely thinks Zix works though because he's dropped it a few times and always notices his hairline thinning soon after. I think he uses (and I could be wrong) just standard Zix with 3x the zinc. He might even use lemon juice with it. Remember that? LOL

worm

My Regimen
Reaction score

I'm not sure. I can ask him. I know he used Zix on its own for awhile and it helped. I don't remember why he added minoxidil. I might have told him to LOL. I could be wrong, but I think I remember him saying that when he got really busy, he would use Zix during the day, and minoxidil at night, and didn't notice much difference than using both twice a day.

Please do, I have a 6 month supply ready to go, and just wanted to see what he thinks about how much minoxidil is helping, vs. using zix alone.

Cheers!

worm

My Regimen
Reaction score
He definitely thinks Zix works though because he's dropped it a few times and always notices his hairline thinning soon after. I think he uses (and I could be wrong) just standard Zix with 3x the zinc. He might even use lemon juice with it. Remember that? LOL

yeah, I remember that, but knowing what he thinks about minoxidil is what I'd like to know. As in, did he ever use zix, and not minoxidil, and what were his impressions.

Also, has he thinned at all since using this regime? How long has he been on this? and What's the status to his hair?

Appreciate you asking! Thanks!

JWM2

Established Member
Reaction score
Okay, Worm. He used Zix on its own for awhile and said it worked well. He said when he added minoxidil he did not not notice much of a change, but he "thinks" his hair got a little thicker.

He doesn't remember when he started using Zix, but he guessed almost ten years. His hair is pretty good he says. Thin in front, but his brothers and dad are all bald so....

He claims to slack a lot and not use anything, and then of course starts thinning. He thinks Zix works better than minoxidil, and if he had to choose, he would use only Zix.

Hope this helps.

worm

My Regimen
Reaction score
Is there lots of shedding on Zix?

No, quite the opposite, it should slow down any excess shedding you noticed since starting male pattern baldness.

@JWM2 Im tempted to add minoxidil, but good to know that your friend thinks zix is the main reason he still has his hair. I just know myself, I am a little lazy, and to consistently apply minoxidil and miss out on applications from time to time, makes me wonder if I would be doing myself a disservice by encouraging sheds due to non compliance with minoxidil. Not to mention, I probably shouldnt be handling my baby even if I wash my hands.

That said I am still receeeding some, it's totally fine for now, but I just wish I had a little something more. I wonder if minoxidil could be that extra boost I need....

Oknow

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi all,

Long time lurker.

Really interested in trying this, but my concerns are the following:

a) Seems to be hard to prepare? Can I buy this online?
b) What type of results will I expect, I have a full head of hair with recession at the front and minor thinning in the forelock, will this slow down loss and thicken up thinning areas?

Thanks

specterx

My Regimen
Reaction score
Update on my experience:

After being on finasteride for 5 years I decided to give Zix a try at the start of May. My finasteride side effects were never very severe, I just never liked the idea of taking something with systemic hormonal effects.

I use the formula Worm gave with 3x 220mg zinc pills. The main difference is that I found 1-2ml wasn't remotely enough to ensure adequate coverage, so I was applying more like 4ml.

Zix definitely prevents "scalp itch" and I had none whatsoever over the past eight weeks - in the past it would start within a week or so after stopping finasteride. Nonetheless I had a major shed that seems to be accelerating over the past few weeks and has resulted in significant visible thinning, so I decided to hop back on finasteride.

Possibly it's just a matter of pushing through the shed until a new growth cycle plays out, but not worth the risk for me imo.

worm

My Regimen
Reaction score
Update on my experience:

After being on finasteride for 5 years I decided to give Zix a try at the start of May. My finasteride side effects were never very severe, I just never liked the idea of taking something with systemic hormonal effects.

I use the formula Worm gave with 3x 220mg zinc pills. The main difference is that I found 1-2ml wasn't remotely enough to ensure adequate coverage, so I was applying more like 4ml.

Zix definitely prevents "scalp itch" and I had none whatsoever over the past eight weeks - in the past it would start within a week or so after stopping finasteride. Nonetheless I had a major shed that seems to be accelerating over the past few weeks and has resulted in significant visible thinning, so I decided to hop back on finasteride.

Possibly it's just a matter of pushing through the shed until a new growth cycle plays out, but not worth the risk for me imo.

Interesting experiment, by the time I jumped on zix, I had been off finasteride for over a year, and had just come off a very potent mix of minoxidil that was f'in with my health/ In hindsight, I think I would recommend the original zix for people, as I believe my version is extra strong and probably overkill even though it works for me.

So I would use 2x zinc in 4 ozs of water.

Thanks for sharing your experience.