MSM supplement showing signs of new growth

OtyMac

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I just ordered MSM powder

I will try it topically along with topical melatonin, topical glutathione. Maybe topical taurine and caffeine too but i dont think it's necessary, the others are probably enough to destroy ROS. And maybe too much antioxidants isn't good

If you stop ROS, you stop the cascade and stop Androgenetic Alopecia. But i dont think it can regrow the hair we already lost.
Don't use melatonin during the day and rub some on the sides of your head because it is a NLRP3 inhibitor also.

Yep...we need some ROS but we also have to consider Androgenetic Alopecia is a condition where ROS are in surplus.

Get my hair back

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Today is the fourth day of applying MSM solution 1% + to my oral 15g. Tomorrow I will increase the topical to 5%

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You on minoxidil? We have to keep track of other taken medications to figure out if it's just boosting existing medications or if it works by itself.

I still have some undeveloped light hairs I observe every day, there's definitely more of them but what I really want is to see them go terminal. Most notable is that there are random new terminals throughout and my eyebrows overlap so much they glitter in the sun - the study did mention it improves hair shine. Also OP only found random terminals at around 3 weeks, I kept track of vellus hairs at around over a week.

One thing very noticeable since starting topical is that it's completely counteracting my insomnia, is that strange? I sleep a lot better now even like 2hrs after the oral dose
min and finasteride for the last 6 months.insomnia still persists.

OtyMac

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Why on sides of the head?

I have retrograde alopecia/dupa so i will apply all over the scalp. And only 1x per day at night
Retrograde alopecia probably isn't because of the superior temporal artery because that would be were blood flow would be the greatest.

You could try it anyways but RA looks like a totally different animal to me.

OtyMac

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Here is Dr. Jacobs book link. He researched MSM and DMSO almost all his life and it wasn't a passing hobby. If he says it, it is likely so:

https://books.google.com/books?id=Q...page&q=topical MSM wound vasodilation&f=false

FromHairy2LarryDavid

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I will say that my itching has gone down. About 1 and a half weeks into 12 grams a day. Also seem to be sprouting little hairs. This feels big?
Sure sounds so. Also having an awful itch myself so if anything, that would be good riddance.

Btw got both ascorbic acid and MSM in powder so starting 5 grams a day then soon upping to 10g. Will log it here if anything substantial happens.

Get my hair back

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
12 days on oral MSM and 7 days on topical. There are no changes, even the fluffy hair that was grown on HRT has not changed in any way. I'll unsubscribe in a week.

OtyMac

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
on the stomach thing, just make sure you have something solid to eat before dropping tablespoon qty down the hatch. will hold 30+gm/day for this month and report back in Dec.

12 days on oral MSM and 7 days on topical. There are no changes, even the fluffy hair that was grown on HRT has not changed in any way. I'll unsubscribe in a week.
That would be 26 DAYS.
It even takes babies who have ever single thing working correctly up to 18 months to grow to their hair in.

Renovation

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Been following this thread with interest for few weeks so thought I'd jump in and add my experience do far.

Quick history- Been suffering hairloss for 20 years (37 now). Receded a fair bit but main issue is gradual diffuse thinning. Use nanogen regularly. Tried finestaride in mid 20s but stopped after 1.5 years due to bad sides. Hard to say if it done anything. Never touched minoxidil due to the hastle, cost, potential sides and need to apply daily or loose progress. Tried nizoral, hated it, bad shed made hair look crap so quickly quit. Tried oils (rosemary, lavender, peppermint etc) I believe there may be merit in these especially if dermarolling (not tried) but won't go near them again as makes my hair limp and thin for days and doesn't agree with nanogen.Take omega 3 and some apple cider vinegar most days. Saw palmetto small dose per day for bout 10 years.

Started magnesium tablets about 3 years ago due to muscle injury and knee pain, and started epsom salt baths (magnesium sulfate). Eventually noticed hair was looking better, or at least cosmetic appearance was better, seemed to give more volume. Added magnesium flakes (magnesium chloride) Have continued to this day. Use magnesium flakes mixed with water (diy magnesium oil, although it's not oily as such) to style. Hairloss steadied.

Read this thread and remembered I'd heard msm was good for skin and hair growth rate. Seen this thread then read up on it extensively on male and female hair/hairloss forums, seen very little in way of negative comments. So started taking 5-10 g per day 10 days ago. Made a spray and started spraying topically 2-3 times a day, 5 days ago (along with magnesium oil). Upped vitamin C intake.

I have a shockingly bad habit of running my hands through my hair once ot twice a day to see if any hair is shedding. Sounds rediculous but think its my way of subconsciously seeing if whatever I'm taking is causing a shed. Usually see a few hairs in hand. Sometimes a lot. However since starting msm not seen one. Literally none! Even when washing hair there's none in bath or sink (I bath in magnesium flakes and/or epsom salts, or use hot water in tub with same, never wash with just water).

Had mild insomnia first couple days so take at approx 8am and 1pm. (Anyone suffering badly with this, magnesium oil does the opposite and helps you to relax)

I realise this is no miracle so far and I'm open to ridicule but I'm certain the msm is strengthening my hair. I'm looking closely for regrowth and it's a bit early to tell but taking very close up pics it's seems I may be getting results. My hair is without doubt looking better than I can remember for years. But it's very early days.

Will post an update in a few weeks.

Get my hair back

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I want to show you how much hair I lose regularly when I comb my hair, and I have not lost any less hair by using MSM

Attachments

• 0-02-08-62dbc1b321c3aa87291ab292f83f5d7b770037e09f0fca2584ede0235f47c5c2_b0c4583a0b6b44bc.jpg
    0-02-08-62dbc1b321c3aa87291ab292f83f5d7b770037e09f0fca2584ede0235f47c5c2_b0c4583a0b6b44bc.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 209

Renovation

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
i was playing with mag bicarb and probably started this at a similar time without noting insomnia override. thanks, will get some glycinate powder and capsulate (didn't notice mag bicarbonate has anything over previous experiments w/ mag chloride, mag chloride doesn't last in capsules).
I'd say my experiences were similar with both, but if I was to bath in magnesium suplate /epsom salt or magnesium chloride flakes, I'd say the chloride gives more of a grippy texture to my hair which. Also read up that it is better absorbed into the body through skin. Not saying shedding is a bad thing, I'm sure I'm still shedding but it's been very noticeable that I'm shedding less. I'd give anything at least a couple of months but early signs are good when combined with MSM. The added benefits of MSM outwith hair benefits are also reportedly very good for overall well being.

Capone

My Regimen
Reaction score
Does it turn anyone else’s hair greyish ? I seem to get more grey on the sides

Renovation

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't want to keep going of the MSM topic, but just to say that the magnesium oil spray you can buy for around 15 pounds (it's not technically an oil) is easily made with 50 percent magnesium flakes 50 percent hot water. I've seen these sold for help with depression and anxiety, but also specifically for relaxing and aiding sleep with added lavender with direction to spray on hands and feet etc, so that's a very cheap option (big bag of flakes for 2.99) to help with potential insomnia sides from MSM. It will also potentially help decalcify your body as its really well absorbed, although jury is very much still out for me regarding scalp calcification relating to male pattern baldness.

partysnacks

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
For those thinking about using this topically.

The Effect of Methylsulfonylmethane on Hair Growth Promotion of Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate for the Treatment of Alopecia
https://www.biomolther.org/journal/view.html?uid=97&vmd=Full

This study isn't new or anything, its been posted here before, but its the only MSM/hair growth study I could find. There's a link to the full study on the page, and if you read through it you'll see that they tested MSM on its own:

So, we performed a preliminary experiment to see if MSM itself has hair growth promotion effect in the concentration range of 1-10% using mice alopecia model. The experiment, however, did not show any hair growth promotion effect of MSM in the concentration range tested.

Granted this is on mice, but it seems like everything grows hair on mice in most hair growth studies, so not a good sign. Again, it wasn't tested on humans, so who knows but I guess topical MSM isn't as useful as oral.

Side note: something I found interesting about this study was that MSM seemed to help retain the MAP solution in the skin and reduce penetration ( see figures 6 and 7). It makes me wonder if this could be used to limit systemic absorption with things like topical finasteride/dutasteride. Could just be a synergistic effect with the MAP though.

Kidbako

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Been following this thread with interest for few weeks so thought I'd jump in and add my experience do far.

Quick history- Been suffering hairloss for 20 years (37 now). Receded a fair bit but main issue is gradual diffuse thinning. Use nanogen regularly. Tried finestaride in mid 20s but stopped after 1.5 years due to bad sides. Hard to say if it done anything. Never touched minoxidil due to the hastle, cost, potential sides and need to apply daily or loose progress. Tried nizoral, hated it, bad shed made hair look crap so quickly quit. Tried oils (rosemary, lavender, peppermint etc) I believe there may be merit in these especially if dermarolling (not tried) but won't go near them again as makes my hair limp and thin for days and doesn't agree with nanogen.Take omega 3 and some apple cider vinegar most days. Saw palmetto small dose per day for bout 10 years.

Started magnesium tablets about 3 years ago due to muscle injury and knee pain, and started epsom salt baths (magnesium sulfate). Eventually noticed hair was looking better, or at least cosmetic appearance was better, seemed to give more volume. Added magnesium flakes (magnesium chloride) Have continued to this day. Use magnesium flakes mixed with water (diy magnesium oil, although it's not oily as such) to style. Hairloss steadied.

Read this thread and remembered I'd heard msm was good for skin and hair growth rate. Seen this thread then read up on it extensively on male and female hair/hairloss forums, seen very little in way of negative comments. So started taking 5-10 g per day 10 days ago. Made a spray and started spraying topically 2-3 times a day, 5 days ago (along with magnesium oil). Upped vitamin C intake.

I have a shockingly bad habit of running my hands through my hair once ot twice a day to see if any hair is shedding. Sounds rediculous but think its my way of subconsciously seeing if whatever I'm taking is causing a shed. Usually see a few hairs in hand. Sometimes a lot. However since starting msm not seen one. Literally none! Even when washing hair there's none in bath or sink (I bath in magnesium flakes and/or epsom salts, or use hot water in tub with same, never wash with just water).

Had mild insomnia first couple days so take at approx 8am and 1pm. (Anyone suffering badly with this, magnesium oil does the opposite and helps you to relax)

I realise this is no miracle so far and I'm open to ridicule but I'm certain the msm is strengthening my hair. I'm looking closely for regrowth and it's a bit early to tell but taking very close up pics it's seems I may be getting results. My hair is without doubt looking better than I can remember for years. But it's very early days.

Will post an update in a few weeks.
I’m getting regrowth on msm idc what anyone says about it on here lol. At the same time I started msm I got on a very good multivitamin drink which is very high in all sorts of vitamins and minerals and almost went gluten free with diet as well after listening to a doctor who’s done thousands of autopsies stating how gluten forms a glue-like paste inside stomach walls inhibiting absorption of vitamins and minerals by the hairlike structures that line the stomach.

Get my hair back

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I’m getting regrowth on msm idc what anyone says about it on here lol. At the same time I started msm I got on a very good multivitamin drink which is very high in all sorts of vitamins and minerals and almost went gluten free with diet as well after listening to a doctor who’s done thousands of autopsies stating how gluten forms a glue-like paste inside stomach walls inhibiting absorption of vitamins and minerals by the hairlike structures that line the stomach.
Could you describe the negative effects of gluten in more detail, from what your doctor says?

Kidbako

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
to be clear, you also run the big 3 and roller occasionally?

i'm not seeing any negative effects of 30-40gm/msm oral daily last 5 days (with mag), and 10kg is less than 100$, so i think i'll run it for a bit, i'm curious...
Big 2, I dropped nizoral. I have rolled but I don’t give any of the benefits I’ve gotten to rolling.

Kidbako

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Could you describe the negative effects of gluten in more detail, from what your doctor says?
Basically it coats the stomach walls and intestines not allowing absorption of the nutrients thus passing through your body. Not saying that has anything to do with Hairloss, just wanted to give my complete regimen and that was a big change I also made at same time I started msm.