MSM supplement showing signs of new growth

OtyMac

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
my insomnia went after 1st week don't know if it was adding vitamin c (3x1gm) after checking if anything changed in 3 days without c as per op.
my (msm) dosing pattern 3.5gm 6am, 3.5gm 12pm, 3.5gm 6pm

(PDF) The effect of methyl sulphonyl methane supplementation on biomarkers of oxidative stress in sport horses following jumping exercise (researchgate.net)

The MSM dose figured out to be 4000 mg for the horse but that would never work by itself in humans for reducing inflammation BUT they also used vitamin c with it.

I looked up the body surface area for an average horse of 890 pounds and it turns out to be 5.736 m^2 vs average human male 1.9 m^2.

So...humans should be taking around 3x LESS than a horse. Effective doses in a horse between 10-20 grams. The equivalent would be in humans 3-7 grams per day which are too low in humans as 6 grams per day will not reduce inflammatory markers in humans.

3-7 grams per day is a guideline and not an necessarily an optimum and Dr. Stanley Jacobs was waaay above that at 30 grams per day. Somewhere >6 grams per day up to 30 grams per day is the range which will work in humans HOWEVER vitamin c may lessen that amount?

Furthermore, according to Dr. Riegel, “Trainers reported that the [horses receiving 20 grams per day] had better hair coats, faster, and healthier hoof growth…

A dose of 20 g per day has been shown in research studies to have an anti-inflammatory benefit.

How did the horses get faster? Better mitochondria? Less pain?

Last edited:

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah how's it going Bako, I've only been on a 12g a day regimen (6g morning and evening) for little over a week have to say I am seeing light hairs in known gaps, like you know at the front of the hairline I was keeping track of an area that didn't have a lot of hairs when I started. Light hairs have grown there, I'll definitely update if they get darker and go terminal. At the moment I think it's still too early but if they do become actual hairs that would be pretty cool. I'm having insomnia unfortunately like only sleeping 4-5 hours a day so I need to remedy that

All this said, there is an actual study of older women taking 3g MSM daily and seeing increased quality of hair like shine and volume, just not density. So it might be worth taking as a diffuse anyway
Any updates on your experiment?

Kidbako

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Ok so an update. Been on same regimen now for a few months. Started feeling the new growth in the back of head first and creeping forward like a moss on a rock. Hair is much darker, thicker with new growth. My scalp used to itch and flake and now all feels healthy. Think it’s growing me a Mohawk tho lol.

Attachments

• 9DEE8E17-0070-491F-93D9-DCDC82EBFCC6.jpeg
    9DEE8E17-0070-491F-93D9-DCDC82EBFCC6.jpeg
    91.4 KB · Views: 334
  • CD690544-24BC-4622-A0A7-9971B555446D.jpeg
    CD690544-24BC-4622-A0A7-9971B555446D.jpeg
    191.2 KB · Views: 335

Kidbako

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Damn lol Norwood rage is as old as time, I mean sure they may be right that it may not recover their hairline but who the hell doesn't want more density?

One thing is certain by now it's that MSM is growing little hairs all over the place, that's good enough for me to stick to it. After seeing OtyMacs post might do that topical spray thing too
Not gonna change anything I’m doing since I’m kinda the test pig lol but msm spray? Why not I guess. I also am still regrowing the hairs on my shins that totally went bare in my early 40’s.. 53 now. Is why u see some gray hairs lol. Anyway good luck. Oh yea I also at the same time began using this multivitamin drink mix called tangy tangerine 2.0. High in vitamin c and all kinds of other stuff. Not sure if this is working together or just the msm.

OtyMac

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Not gonna change anything I’m doing since I’m kinda the test pig lol but msm spray? Why not I guess. I also am still regrowing the hairs on my shins that totally went bare in my early 40’s.. 53 now. Is why u see some gray hairs lol. Anyway good luck. Oh yea I also at the same time began using this multivitamin drink mix called tangy tangerine 2.0. High in vitamin c and all kinds of other stuff. Not sure if this is working together or just the msm.

Either put about 500 mg of MSM in a shampoo like a baby shampoo which is clear and you can see if it dissolves. It should...
Or: make a distilled water-MSM solution for right after shampooing(in case you don't use an MSM shampoo). Your skin is hydrated and should absorb the MSM or water based topical very well because the stratum corneum is water logged and has weakened barrier properties.
MSM may not penetrate the skin very well as some studies say and I tend to think that is correct.

Get my hair back

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi! The photos are taken under different light, which can distort reality. Could you take a photo like the first one in the sun to objectively evaluate the result?

OtyMac

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi! The photos are taken under different light, which can distort reality. Could you take a photo like the first one in the sun to objectively evaluate the result?
That is not me and an old photo from a different website...

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I feel the need to defend that poor guy from 2012 it's like he got a dose of Norwood bashing just for sharing his experience. There's a few logical problems with the criticism

1. Suppose MSM did nothing and that's just his natural hair. When you're walking around with a head as full and uniform as the second pic, you don't browse hair loss forums let alone take before pictures and make an account to chat about hair loss

2. He said his family and friends commented on density. People don't comment about your hair thickness just because you let it grow for a month

3. Hair grows about 0.5" a month, the second pic looks too uniform and full for it just to be a regular month's worth of growth

I won't defend it too much because I'm still at the initial stages too its not like I have full blown terminals growing all over the place like weeds. And it seems like at least one person reports no new anything after 17 days. I will say that hopefully everyone here is smart enough not to get any sh*t from Amazon that place is up to its *** with Chinese counterfeit
7 days today.Nothing to report,just headaches and insomnia.I am using Spring Valley from Walmart.What brand are you using?

Kidbako

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I feel the need to defend that poor guy from 2012 it's like he got a dose of Norwood bashing just for sharing his experience. There's a few logical problems with the criticism

1. Suppose MSM did nothing and that's just his natural hair. When you're walking around with a head as full and uniform as the second pic, you don't browse hair loss forums let alone take before pictures and make an account to chat about hair loss

2. He said his family and friends commented on density. People don't comment about your hair thickness just because you let it grow for a month

3. Hair grows about 0.5" a month, the second pic looks too uniform and full for it just to be a regular month's worth of growth

I won't defend it too much because I'm still at the initial stages too its not like I have full blown terminals growing all over the place like weeds. And it seems like at least one person reports no new anything after 17 days. I will say that hopefully everyone here is smart enough not to get any sh*t from Amazon that place is up to its *** with Chinese counterfeit
Yea that’s why I don’t tell anyone what to buy or where. Don’t really care if they buy at all. Just thought I would share an experience that I’m having after trying all kinds of “ regimens” and sh*t. Even was here with the guy and the freaking heat lamp lol. Anyway I’ll come in as I see fit or one of you all can take it. My regimen is working for me and maybe I’ll join fullheads dot com next year lol.

Get my hair back

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
7 days today.Nothing to report,just headaches and insomnia.I am using Spring Valley from Walmart.What brand are you using?
I looked up your Spring Valley MSM and I don't think it's very high quality, maybe that's what the side effects in the form of headaches and insomnia are due to.

OtyMac

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Yes, and:

4) why would he be touting a product that is widely available? He did not say visit my website and get MY form of MSM which would be obvious he was a tout.

5) MSM increases rate of hair and nail growth...

6) he was using it topically also.

7) he claimed he to be using a dose which is far above the 3 grams per day which 99% of people who've tried MSM say it doesn't work at that dose and I believe them too.

8) if this wasn't MSM but some ultra high dollar peptide and that guy posted those pictures, people would be foaming at the mouth rabid trying to find out where to find the peptide.

Last edited:

Big A

My Regimen
Reaction score
Taking 5mg a day, separated in 3mg and 2mg. The 3mg with vitamin C. Doing this since 3 days. Nothing to report right now, will update over the days. Nice that people are actually trying out the stuff and report!

OtyMac

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Today I'll start topical msm like maybe 3tbsp of pure msm in 10oz of distilled water then spray 5 Oz in the morning, fridge the other 5 for the evening. Will microneedle at the start and every 10 days or so with 1.5mm. I'll report back any gains around a week
Below is the quote of the guy who used it topically. He is using 2-3 GRAMS topically per week<gulp>
10 oz =300 ml = 300 grams;
15 grams into 300 grams distilled water = 5% solution he used on the low end.

MSM data:
Miscible in water(68 degrees fahrenheit)= 150 g/L or 15%

What people will miss in the post below {in blue} is.....just like I thought nothing of it either until finding the STA study by Poppyburner.

"This didn't happen until -------------
I started applying the MSM+distilled H20 mixture to the sides of
my head (
where the gray hairs were) as well"

MSM appears to be a vasodilator also which makes sense. Could MSM be dilating the superior temporal artery(also called superficial temporal artery) providing extra blood flow to the scalp? Dilating an artery like the STA is a whole different animal than dilating a capillary.
BTW, many report migraines when first starting MSM which is what some studies say happen with different treatments done on the STA BECAUSE of the vasodilation.

MSM is a NLRP3 inhibitor and their effect on inflammation is what is responsible for the vasodilation:

This links to post #12 but start up at post #10

So.....BY ALL MEANS apply some MSM to the sides of your head where the STA passes by.

scroll down about 1/2 the page to find the STA and where it distributes on the scalp:

I've been drenching my scalp w/ MSM only for the past year. No DMSO,
no arginine, no minoxidil, etc. I'm 35, and my hair is now better
than it was at 21. I had a visible bald spot by 24, and now there's
no spot whatsoever--in fact, you can't even see the part line. I'm
growing it out for the first time in a decade, b/c in the past it
would look like sh*t if I tried to grow it long, and now it grows long
and thick. I even have to put pommade in it now to control it, and it
looks great with the wet look. Additionally, my gray hairs have
virtually vanished, similar to Oz's experience. This didn't happen
until I started applying the MSM+distilled H20 mixture to the sides of
my head (where the gray hairs were) as well. Recently, countless
people have asked me if I'm dying my hair dark.

Periodically, I apply a MSM+DMSO mixture to my face, and my skin has
become soft and virtually wrinkle-free. The reason I don't use DMSO
on my scalp is b/c my hair texture became greasy.

I take oral arginine on and off, 2-6 g/day, but I've been doing this
for five years, and all my results have occurred in the past few
months.

I also have used topical spironolactone (both % concentrations) on and off, but
I've been doing this for 3 yrs., and again, all my results have been
post-MSM.

The MSM for me is more than a temporary thickener. If I go w/o it for
a few days, there's no change.

So . . . for those of you who don't want to use DMSO for any reason
(e.g., the poster who has suffered terrible eye problems), I would
recommend trying massive amounts of MSM only for a few months. (I
saturate a water bottle with the powder, and soak my head with it
night and morning). For all others who have had great success w/ the
brew . . . carry on."

----------------------------------------------------------------

someone asked about his mixture: "Could you please advise approximately how many ounces or grams of MSM and how many grams of DMSO in your mixture?"

and he replied "In a 10 oz. bottle I usually put about 15-20 gms of MSM. I go through about a bottle per week."

Last edited: