Mj9's Story - 4 YEAR UPDATE!!

mj9

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Re: mj9' story - 4 MONTH UPDATE!! :)

SE-freak said:
Taking a dutasteride pill once weekly while on finasteride is your idea, isn't it?

yes, i m planning on going onto twice weekly and finasteride other days.. why? am i making a mistake?

SE-freak

Reaction score

I am not sure. Are you? What is the logic behind using a potent inhibitor of both types of the enzyme with a less potent of one type? (when the latter is found to be effective at 1mg daily and you take half the dose?)

mj9

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

well i wanted to get onto dutasteride initially on a daily basis as its known to be a more potent inhibitor (or same as 5mg finasteride i think) but due to it inhibiting both types of enzymes of which one is very abundent in the brain, i had second thoughts so decided to go for finasteride 1mg... anyway then i say some graphs and studies showing the 0.25mg finasteride had same effect as 5mg after 5days or so, thus decided to go for 0.5mg just to be on the safe side.... anyway i just couldnt help thinking about the fact that dutasteride is a more potent inhibitor (and my hairloss is very aggressive) so thought f*** it and decided to try it at least once a week and see what happens.. also theres lots of studies showing dutasteride has better results (but i guess you cant trust them all)....

-so basically dutasteride once a week as its a more potent inhibitor and also as i am concerned about the enzyme receptors in the brain so want to give that receptor a chance to do whatever it does....
-finasteride 1mg (not 0.5mg anymore) daily as dutasteride once a week will not block all dht...
-i would rather stick to 0.5mg but too difficult to cut it...

what do you think? makes sense? my hairloss is just too aggressive and i dont think finasteride would do the job own its own and so far the dutasteride+finasteride combo has yielded some great results and very quickly...

ygrec

Reaction score

mj9, congrats, great progress! Hope you can keep it up.
When did you start dutasteride? I understand you've only added it recently, so that great progress was probably due to the finasteride. Btw halving finasteride pills is not a big deal, get over your laziness :hump: . I mean, if 0.5mg finasteride worked for you (and it seemed to), there's no reason to rise the dose, at least until you see it doesn't work.
I'd consult a good physician about taking both finasteride and dutasteride. Doesn't sound good to me. Specially if you got results with finasteride alone. It's not as comfortable, but perhaps it's better to add a topical like spironolactone or eucapil.

mj9

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

mj9

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

ygrec said:
mj9, congrats, great progress! Hope you can keep it up.
When did you start dutasteride? I understand you've only added it recently, so that great progress was probably due to the finasteride. .

thanks man
no i added dutasteride to my regimen after 2-3 weeks so i have been on it for pretty much 4 months now (if i remember correctly)...

ygrec said:
Btw halving finasteride pills is not a big deal, get over your laziness :hump: . I mean, if 0.5mg finasteride worked for you (and it seemed to), there's no reason to rise the dose, at least until you see it doesn't work.

yea you are right about the dose as 0.5mg worked very well for me.. problem is i switched to 5mg fincar tablets and i cut them into fifth and cutting them into 10ths is impossible... however, i m planning to dissolve them in some alcohol to achieve the required dose...

haha i m not that lazy lol

ChrisJ

Reaction score
Re: 24 and in denial for too long! (pics included)

mj9 said:
ali777 said:
I'm confused with all the medical science. The sad part is that even medical researchers can't decide. I think resistance training is a gray area, I have read that because of the testosterone they are not good for male pattern baldness. But, I've also read that there is a proof that weight training lowers testosterone.

I'm also not sure about the protein thing, but I can see your logic.

I do a lot of resistance weight training... does anyone know if this may be contributing to my male pattern baldness???!!!

if this is the case then i may have to cut my gym sessions down although i really dont want to.... i would like my hair back though...

surely the finasteride would inactivate any circulating DHT??

I know this is late but just read this thread. I dunno if anyone answered this. If so, bear with me. From wiki:

"Regular aerobic exercise can help keep androgen levels (particularly free testosterone levels) naturally lower while maintaining overall health, lowering stress and increasing SHBG. [1] [2]

Weight training without aerobic exercise may increase testosterone. [3]; [4] [5] [6] One study suggests that both heavy exercise and increased fat intake, in combination, are required for increased free testosterone in strength trainers. Increased total or free testosterone would help them build and repair muscle, but may cause susceptible individuals to lose hair. [7]

However, there is at least one study that indicates a decline in free testosterone combined with an increase in strength due to an (unspecified) strength training regime.[13]"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baldness#P ... _hair_loss

PS: Congrats on amazing regrowth! Hope you have even more success. You should post in success stories section!!

Odie

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: mj9' story - 3 MONTH UPDATE!! (pics included)

mj9 said:
ok guys so its nearly 4 months now (actually still one week to go)... anyway i took a picture today so here it is... please feel free to comment :)

been getting lots of second looks from people who know me and lots of good comments... my friend freaked out last week when he saw my hair :punk:

all i can say is i am happy :punk:

Bloody hell !! Amazing !!!
:bravo:

Jake_89

Established Member
Reaction score

Hey Mj

You have beaten hairloss and I am very happy for you. I hope that you remain a active poster here (dont run off like all the other guys who have great success!) helping out guys in need.

I am interested how you began taking finasteride did you kind of "introduce" your body to it by taking .25mg every 3 days for a week or two or did you just jump on .5 each day?

I was thinking of playing it safe when I frist start by taking .25 every second day or third for a while then slowly increase dosage to .5 each day

any thoughts on that from you or anyone else?

again congrats my friend! keep up updated

PersonGuy

Established Member
Reaction score

All I can say is good for you and keep up the good work. You definitely deserve it. It's awesome to see you go from where you were to where you are now. You must be fuckin ecstatic. Congrats man good luck going forward.

mj9

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Jake_89 said:
Hey Mj

You have beaten hairloss and I am very happy for you. I hope that you remain a active poster here (dont run off like all the other guys who have great success!) helping out guys in need.

I am interested how you began taking finasteride did you kind of "introduce" your body to it by taking .25mg every 3 days for a week or two or did you just jump on .5 each day?

I was thinking of playing it safe when I frist start by taking .25 every second day or third for a while then slowly increase dosage to .5 each day

any thoughts on that from you or anyone else?

again congrats my friend! keep up updated

Thank's man and don't worry I am not going to run off anywhere. The forum helped me a lot and I am going to make sure I give something back so will stay and help as much as I can.

Well I started 0.5mg everyday from the start. I had some side effects but they disappeared after 1-2 weeks. I was really scared to take it at the start too but now I don't even think about it twice.

mj9

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

PersonGuy said:
All I can say is good for you and keep up the good work. You definitely deserve it. It's awesome to see you go from where you were to where you are now. You must be fuckin ecstatic. Congrats man good luck going forward.

Thank's, I hope you get some good results too. Yeah, I am indeed f*****g ecsatatic I have to admit. I also don't think about hair loss as much which is like removing a huge burden of my mind. The crown is still a bit thin so fingers crossed it thickens up a bit more.

I am very happy and glad I decided to go on the big three. (I nearly decided to just give in) :)

mj9

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

fromchicago said:
at what moment did you first realize results?

I started seeing results at around week 10 and then sudden burst of hair growth between week 10 to 12... After that its constantly getting better but slowly... It seems to have slowed down now.... Also noticing a lot of shedding (hopefully good shedding)

cleverusername

Established Member
Reaction score

Judging by your last photo there wasn't much improvement that needed to be done anyhow. Maybe a tiny bit of thickening in the crown but that would be being really a*** about it. If you manage to maintain what you gained you should be pretty damn happy.

mj9

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

cleverusername said:
Judging by your last photo there wasn't much improvement that needed to be done anyhow. Maybe a tiny bit of thickening in the crown but that would be being really a*** about it. If you manage to maintain what you gained you should be pretty damn happy.

I am very damn happy with the results (i hope i wasnt sounding ungrateful!)

My hair are starting to look pretty normal now but i think they still look unacceptable when wet so hoping they continue to thicken up...

I have started to style them again and it feels great. I havent started using product just yet but will when/if my hair continue to thicken up... :)

madhatter

Established Member
Reaction score

mj, when you noticed the burst of regrowth, was it terminal regrowth or were they vellus hairs? I'm at about 8 weeks on the big 3 now. I got a haircut the other day and my hair in the front seems to have thickened up a bit. But my crown and mid scalp have thinned below baseline from my shed. I'm looking at the shed as a good sign and not getting discouraged about it. It's just a little tough since my scalp has never been this visible before, but I'm hoping the next 2 months bring some success.

SE-freak

Reaction score

madhatter said:
mj, when you noticed the burst of regrowth, was it terminal regrowth or were they vellus hairs? I'm at about 8 weeks on the big 3 now. I got a haircut the other day and my hair in the front seems to have thickened up a bit. But my crown and mid scalp have thinned below baseline from my shed. I'm looking at the shed as a good sign and not getting discouraged about it. It's just a little tough since my scalp has never been this visible before, but I'm hoping the next 2 months bring some success.

It is highly unlikely that your frontal region gets better while your vertex goes downhill. My guess is the shed was for good, better quality hairs entering anagen. Buzzed hair to guard 1 or 2 should work well at that phase, as new growth will catch up with existing hair sooner.

madhatter

Established Member
Reaction score

SE, I think the frontal hairs have started to thicken up a bit, I haven't seen regrowth. The shed at the crown and mid scalp was pretty significant but I'm remaining positive that it's a sign that I'm responding. Shedding is down significantly the past couple weeks. I think the next couple months will tell a lot.