Microneedling Faqs: Procedures, Studies And Such

youngster

My Regimen
Reaction score
Should you use the 12 or 36 pin cartridges for Dr Pen?

WaterlooSunrise

My Regimen
Reaction score
Do you guys put any essential oil or anything on your scalp right after needling? I Bought a Dr. Pen and will be doing 1.5 mm depth to start
I use castor and coconut oil after dermarolling, never had any issues—but I think that’s because castor oil isn’t an ar5 inhibitor, as far as I know.

fauxhawk

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yo bros whats proven to be better - a Dr. Pen, dermastamp or derma roller?
Also when exactly do you apply the minoxidil after micro needling??? Some prople say right after and others say 8-12 hours to reduce sides

Please help a bro

RB1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
This thread DEFINITELY peaked my interest, until I started to read about the cancer risks (and the article below). I'm kinda surprised more people are not concerned about this. I'm also thinking applying toppik - even a few days post needling is kinda worrisome. Even if everything 'appears' to be healed, surely some toppik fibers will seep into the scalp micro tears and that doesn't sound like a healthy/safe situation...
-------------------------------
https://www.oumere.com/blog/2018/8/...-breakdown-premature-aging-andpossibly-cancer

This was a worrying read for me .

The scar tissue, collagen damage and possible cancer is scary. Especially now I have started microneedling!

#147stonecold, Jan 28, 2019

Francesco17

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
This thread DEFINITELY peaked my interest, until I started to read about the cancer risks (and the article below). I'm kinda surprised more people are not concerned about this. I'm also thinking applying toppik - even a few days post needling is kinda worrisome. Even if everything 'appears' to be healed, surely some toppik fibers will seep into the scalp micro tears and that doesn't sound like a healthy/safe situation...
-------------------------------
https://www.oumere.com/blog/2018/8/...-breakdown-premature-aging-andpossibly-cancer

This was a worrying read for me .

The scar tissue, collagen damage and possible cancer is scary. Especially now I have started microneedling!

#147stonecold, Jan 28, 2019
basal cell carcinoma has a very low risk of deadly malignancy, especiaaaly when caught early

Francesco17

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
At the end of the day every treatment comes with risks, including apparently innocuous over the counter medications. Aspirin and Ibuprofen can be fatal. It's uo to doctors and patient to decide whether they want to take the chance or not.

RB1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Lol, this has been reposted a couple of times now in this thread. No need to worry, they're trying to sell their products by discouraging microneedling, etc.

Possibly, still not positive there's no correlation. What about the toppik fibers seeping into the micro tears point? Does anyone have thoughts on this?

Francesco17

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@Bill_Russo noted once that toppik could promote infection. Personally I wouldn't use it for a day or so after needling. Some say that the holes in the skin close up after one hour, but in absence of certified information I'd stay on the safer side

overpourgoodfortune

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@RB1 - I would wait 24H before putting Toppik on. Similar recommendation that women's aesthetics sites say regarding application of makeup on the face following a needling session.

If the micro-wounds do close quickly, that should give a safe amount of time that all should be well.

My concern with Toppik isn't the fibres themselves though rather washing them out. The dye they use comes out with water and I wouldnt want that getting into the wounds.

RB1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
the whole toppik/needling combo sounds a bit potentially risky imo....

RB1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
TBH slightly concerned re that as well. Hey I want more hair as much as anyone, but not sure willing to take an increased cancer risk for it. That bein' said, this is a novel idea...

Bill_Russo

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Some people do it no problem, apparently. I personally wouldn't tho.

HowardWulkan

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi, new member! Got directed here from tressless purely because of this thread.
First of all, wanna say thanks to OP for putting this together, whether this "works" or not, this is still a fantastic resource.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I'm trying to figure out how the whole cartridge thing with the Derminator 2 works. It seems like it comes with one 12-pin cartridge, and then I need to buy additional ones separately, correct? So if I want to get enough for, say 25 weeks, that's an additional 150 bucks? (I'm in canada)

kungfukenny

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
First of all, wanna say thanks to OP for putting this together, whether this "works" or not, this is still a fantastic resource.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I'm trying to figure out how the whole cartridge thing with the Derminator 2 works. It seems like it comes with one 12-pin cartridge, and then I need to buy additional ones separately, correct? So if I want to get enough for, say 25 weeks, that's an additional 150 bucks? (I'm in canada)
I thought cartridges were really cheap? Or do you have to buy cartridges specifically for derminator 2?

HowardWulkan

My Regimen
Reaction score
Derminator 2 uses proprietary cartridges it seems, yeah. They're 5.45 cad, but assuming no re-use, that's still like, 5.45 for each use. Of course that can be cut in half by re-using them. Unless I'm seriously missing something here.

EDIT: I mean, that's still well worth it if it gets results, and really nothing when compared to the insane expense and hassle of a transplant, just asking cause I wanna be clear on pricing/ordering say, 25 cartridges with the actual device bumps the price significantly.

Last edited:

Bill_Russo

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Glad I could contribute to the community. We're in the same boat, so gotta help each other!
That is correct. If you only use them once, it'd be an additional 150 CAD for you.
But apparently it's worth the price, according to the members who own it. I wanted to get it myself, but I'm too poor to afford it.
Good luck with your needling journey! Keep us updated if you will. :)