Microneedling Faqs: Procedures, Studies And Such

freebiefan

My Regimen
Reaction score
Just had my first microneedling section, not sure I'm doing this right. I got this dermastamp

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07K2W2KGP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Anyway, after showering, I slightly dabbed some rubbing alcohol on my temples and hairline, then I started. I've never seen microneedles up close before, these looked thicker than I imagined, I didn't really believe they would go into my skin easily, and I was right. I hesitated a bit as I approached my right temple, even grabbing the thing with two hands to make sure it was steady and I think stab myself.

Placed it on my temple, let it sit by its own weigh. It wasn't enough, it wasn't going in, so I started applying more force. I didn't feel like it was going in then either, but I really couldn't tell. I started rocking it a bit and then I felt it more, it felt like a small prick from a syringe. But even then, it felt like it was mostly penetrating at the edges of the stamp.

I continued like this, there was slight reddening of the skin throughout, but no bleeding at all, not even a tiny dot. So, I'm not sure if this is normal, or if I'm not applying enough force, or if I should look into getting a smaller stamp.

Jaka

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Just had my first microneedling section, not sure I'm doing this right. I got this dermastamp

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07K2W2KGP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Anyway, after showering, I slightly dabbed some rubbing alcohol on my temples and hairline, then I started. I've never seen microneedles up close before, these looked thicker than I imagined, I didn't really believe they would go into my skin easily, and I was right. I hesitated a bit as I approached my right temple, even grabbing the thing with two hands to make sure it was steady and I think stab myself.

Placed it on my temple, let it sit by its own weigh. It wasn't enough, it wasn't going in, so I started applying more force. I didn't feel like it was going in then either, but I really couldn't tell. I started rocking it a bit and then I felt it more, it felt like a small prick from a syringe. But even then, it felt like it was mostly penetrating at the edges of the stamp.

I continued like this, there was slight reddening of the skin throughout, but no bleeding at all, not even a tiny dot. So, I'm not sure if this is normal, or if I'm not applying enough force, or if I should look into getting a smaller stamp.
My roommate has an adjustable stamp and uses it like in this video. He is a little faster and he does look like he puts a bit of pressure but he doesn't hold it there. I watched him do it a few times and he is faster and more accurate from when he first started.

It's at 2:21. Actually he does it like at 3:05 on his scalp but in rows to make sure he covers his whole scalp.

Last edited:

freebiefan

My Regimen
Reaction score
My roommate has an adjustable stamp and uses it like in this video. He is a little faster and he does look like he puts a bit of pressure but he doesn't hold it there. I watched him do it a few times and he is faster and more accurate from when he first started.

It's at 2:21. Actually he does it like at 3:05 on his scalp but in rows to make sure he covers his whole scalp.
Thanks. It looks like I'm doing it acceptably. I thought the needles had to penetrate all the way through.

yayapapaya

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Been dermaneedling for more than a year at 1.5mm. Never had flaking skin. Switched to 2mm and skin is flaking everywhere on my head. I see it as a good sign.
I'm going to stick with 2mm and see if it will make any difference in regrowth.

Jaka

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks. It looks like I'm doing it acceptably. I thought the needles had to penetrate all the way through.

The person in the video doesn't push all the way down all the time but I believe it's just for illustration. You want the to pierce the full length of the needle. There's a big difference from the first time he used the stamp to now. I'm sure after you use it more often you will get comfortable with it.

Bill_Russo

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@Bill_Russo might be a noob question. Are most people using min liquid or foam?
My understanding is that the foam is harder to apply, as it tends to go into the hair rather than the skin.
https://www.oumere.com/blog/2018/8/...-breakdown-premature-aging-andpossibly-cancer

This was a worrying read for me .

The scar tissue, collagen damage and possible cancer is scary. Especially now I have started microneedling!
We have been through that.
There's a lot of people who have been rolling for years. In this forum, too.
They never had a problem with it.
Ask yourself: why is that article conveniently putting some $80 exfoliant at the end of a fearmongering article?

overpourgoodfortune

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
My understanding is that the foam is harder to apply, as it tends to go into the hair rather than the skin.

I think it really depends on how thin your hair is and how long your hair is.

I like foam due to how short and thin my hair is... it is easy to apply and dries quick. If your hair is long and not terribly thin... liquid would be the way to go.

freebiefan

My Regimen
Reaction score
Ask yourself: why is that article conveniently putting some $80 exfoliant at the end of a fearmongering article?
Yeah. Trying to sell you something pretty much invalidates their article. Plus, their references are all about the second part of the article, tumors from wounds.

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have said it before but damn needling is quite addictive, really makes you feel like your doing something to recover your hair rather than just popping a pill or whatever, i am always counting down the days till i can needle again. lol

J0ker

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have said it before but damn needling is quite addictive, really makes you feel like your doing something to recover your hair rather than just popping a pill or whatever, i am always counting down the days till i can needle again. lol
hehe yeah that's the best thing about it, it really feels like you're doing something :p
i think it's the pain ;)

Bill_Russo

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have 5 more days till the next one!

frank1980

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
About 2 hours... Of which 20 minutes are actually needling. The remaining hour and a half is me being obsessive-compulsive.
It took me around 30 minutes to get my whole scalp. I used a depth of 1.5, but I think I'm going to go with 2.0. Hopefully 2.0mm twice a month won't be excessive. I've heard many people using lithium chloride, but I'm not sure if there's any downside to it or if it's even effective.

Bill_Russo

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It took me around 30 minutes to get my whole scalp. I used a depth of 1.5, but I think I'm going to go with 2.0. Hopefully 2.0mm twice a month won't be excessive. I've heard many people using lithium chloride, but I'm not sure if there's any downside to it or if it's even effective.
Can't say anything about lithium chloride as I didn't really read into it, but 2 mm x2 per month is actually what I'm doing; following the Chinese study (link in the original post, just in case).
Wouldn't say it's excessive.

frank1980

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Can't say anything about lithium chloride as I didn't really read into it, but 2 mm x2 per month is actually what I'm doing; following the Chinese study (link in the original post, just in case).
Wouldn't say it's excessive.
Thanks. When I did the 1.5, it felt really mild. Like almost no stimulation. Pink, but not irritated.

fuDHTck

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Does it matter if you use slow or fast speed with a dermapen as long as you are still doing 1.5mm?