Microneedling Faqs: Procedures, Studies And Such

Bill_Russo

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Im curious how many of you are applying minoxidil after your microneedle session. I was a lurker on this forum for a few months and it seemed the general consensus was that minoxidil application following a microneedle session is not advised due to the risks of systemic absorption
You'll get a better answer if you ask on the needling thread.
There are a few and they report a sting when they apply it, but no other problems.
It was advised, but the Chinese study did it his way. My suggestion: do what you think is the safest option. If you want to wait 12 hours before you apply, that's absolutely fine.
Cheers.

razzmatazz91

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm in India.
Rollers are stupidly cheap here, and stamps are bloody expensive.
I was wondering will it be okay to use a roller, or does it do too much damage and impact results negatively? I know the OP answers it, just want other inputs.

I'm also wondering, if there is needless damage, should I go ahead and start with a 1.0mm roller, so as to not damage the skin too much?

Also, what do you use to clean rollers/stamps? Alcohol?

Me Vs DiffuseThinning

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for making this thread bro. Can someone give me a link to the exact Dr Pen they bought? I want to upgrade from a dermaroller to a pen. I don't think I can handle the pain anymore, lol

Bill_Russo

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Guy in the video is wearing gloves, is this standard procedure?
If you notice, he's wearing one glove.
I speak for myself here, but I do use gloves. I'm an OCD son of a butt.
Thanks for making this thread bro. Can someone give me a link to the exact Dr Pen they bought? I want to upgrade from a dermaroller to a pen. I don't think I can handle the pain anymore, lol
Happy to help, bud. I don't have a Dr. Pen, but the Ultima A6 is usually the one people go for. Cheers!

Derminator

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
This may sound a bit stupid but whatever. My parents are both freaking out (they're VERY controlling) when I told them I was going to try this. They're both nurses so anything medical related they always think they know better. My dad was explaining how "I would create small scars and hair can't grow on scars" so I'm just gonna f*** myself up.

Obviously I think they're both clueless because they're still living in the f*****g 80's, but what would be the best way to try to explain them they're wrong? I could just say "f*** it I don't care what you guys think" but I love them too much and I know they mean well, so I'd rather try to get them on my side.

So more specifically, what do I need to counter my dad's argument. A quick google explained me that while scars themselves don't grow hair, the area around it gets triggered to grow hair? But then you could say that after 50 sessions you pretty much created a mini scar everywhere on your scalp?

hairloss_user

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
This may sound a bit stupid but whatever. My parents are both freaking out (they're VERY controlling) when I told them I was going to try this. They're both nurses so anything medical related they always think they know better. My dad was explaining how "I would create small scars and hair can't grow on scars" so I'm just gonna f*** myself up.

Obviously I think they're both clueless because they're still living in the f*****g 80's, but what would be the best way to try to explain them they're wrong? I could just say "f*** it I don't care what you guys think" but I love them too much and I know they mean well, so I'd rather try to get them on my side.

So more specifically, what do I need to counter my dad's argument. A quick google explained me that while scars themselves don't grow hair, the area around it gets triggered to grow hair? But then you could say that after 50 sessions you pretty much created a mini scar everywhere on your scalp?

So what else do they think? Are they thinking about infections or something?

Derminator

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Not that I know of, but haven't sat down to talk to them yet. I wanna be equipped with the necessary tools to combat their arguments first. Don't have much of a scientific background so reading those science papers is kind of Chinese to me.

Bill_Russo

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Alright, so about scars: the wounds created here are so tiny that, unless you go out of your way to f*** your sh*t up, won't create scars. The holes close within hours.

Biggest risk is exposing yourself to the sun for the next 7 days after a session, since long exposure to UV rays increases the risk of skin cancer dramatically. But wearing a hat or stopping during the summer solves this.

A way to counter their arguments that makes them understand... Well, you could tell them the needles go deep enough to release growth factors related to Wnt signalling, which is very important for hair growth. Needling also creates a process of revascularization, which is important because the attack of DHT on follicles negatively affects this.

Finally, about infection. Unless you use very old needles covered in cowshit with the dirtiest hands imaginable, you'll be fine. Basic hygiene will prevent any infections.

Derminator

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Bill, you're the best man. Really appreciate that, will try to go talk some sense into them later. (but gonna roll either way haha)

Thanks cesc for your input as well :)

FCKW36

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I don't get how some people can say that 1,5 mm or even 2 mm doesn hurt? Because I'm literally dying during a session. Is my Dermapen sh*t or are your Dermapens sh*t or am I a pussy?

Bill_Russo

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Bill, you're the best man. Really appreciate that, will try to go talk some sense into them later. (but gonna roll either way haha)

Thanks cesc for your input as well :)
Anytime! Let us know how it goes.
I don't get how some people can say that 1,5 mm or even 2 mm doesn hurt? Because I'm literally dying during a session. Is my Dermapen sh*t or are your Dermapens sh*t or am I a pussy?
You're not a pussy, nor are any of our dermapens sh*t. We're all different.
Some people can't stand 1.75 mm while others, such as myself, can do 2 mm no problem.
If the pain is bad I suggest you use numbing cream. There are instructions on how to use it in the post.
Good luck!

Scootz

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Definitely use any basic topical 5% lidocaine numbing cream if it hurts. You can get all kinds of different lidocaine creams for cheap on amazon. Just make sure you apply the cream 30mins - 1hr before you microneedle and cover your scalp with Saran Wrap or something so it stays moist and doesn’t dry out. Same thing you’d do for a tattoo. I personally don’t think the pain is that bad, but I’ve used numbing cream for some of my more sensitive spot tattoos and its a night and day difference I can tell you that.

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score

Please show it at your parents, and ask their opinion?
"

Why is the head of beasts hairy?
The answer, according to the opinion of Const is, that the hairs are the ornament of the head and of the brain, and the brain is purged and evacuated of gross humour by the growing of the hair, from the highest unto the lowest parts, which pass through the pores of the exterior flesh and do become dry, and are converted into hairs. This appears to be true, because that in all man's body there is nothing drier than the hairs; for they are drier than the bones, as Albertus Magnus doth affirm, because that some beasts are nourished with bones, as dogs, but no beast can digest feathers or hair, but do avoid them undigested; and they are too hot for nutriment

Secondly, It is answered, that the brain is purged four manner of ways; first, of superfluous watery humours by the eyes, from melancholy by the ears, and of choler by the nose, phlegm by the hair, and that is the intent of the physician."
"Why have some men soft hair and some hard?
We answer with Aristotle, that the hair hath proportion with the skin, of which some is hard, some thick, some subtile and soft, and some gross; therefore the hair which groweth out of a thick and gross skin is thick and gross, and that which groweth of a subtile and fine is fine and soft, and when the pores are open then cometh forth much humour, and therefore hard hair is engendered; and when the pores are strait, then there doth grow soft and fine hair. And this doth Aristotle show in men, in whom we have an eminent token, because women have softer hair than they; because that in women the pores are shut, and are strait by reason of their coldness.

Secondly, Because that for the most part choleric men have hard and thicker hair than others, by reason of their heat, and because the pores are for ever open in them, and therefore they have beards sooner than others. Whereupon the philosopher saith, that those beasts which have hard hair are the boldest, because such hair proceedeth of heat and choler, which choler maketh man fight. Aristotle also giveth example in the bear and the boar; and contrariwise, those beasts that have soft are fearful, because they be cold, as the hare and hart. Aristotle doth give another reason of the softness and hardness of the hair, drawn from the climate where a man is born; because that in hot regions hard and gross hair is engendered, as it appears in the Ethiopians; and the contrary is true in the cold country, as towards the North."

This is a part of
https://www.exclassics.com/arist/arist31.htm

Longway886

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Show them both studies

MKP05

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I just purchased the derminator 2 and I was wondering if anyone can share their routine for sanitizing the needles If they plan to use them more than one session. I’ve read 70% isopropyl alcohol but is there a best practice for actually applying and how long they need to soak?

Tazzo82

Reaction score
hey bill amazing post. thanks for that.

one question: do you think the numbing cream interacts badly with the wounding or with minoxidl? I can pretty much resist everywhere apart from my temples. A lot of pain in that area, so I was thinking of using some form of topical cream.

Bill_Russo

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I just purchased the derminator 2 and I was wondering if anyone can share their routine for sanitizing the needles If they plan to use them more than one session. I’ve read 70% isopropyl alcohol but is there a best practice for actually applying and how long they need to soak?
I personally don't have the Derminator, but there isn't much about it. You just soak the needles with alcohol and leave them there to air dry. Read the post for further instructions. Good luck!
hey bill amazing post. thanks for that.

one question: do you think the numbing cream interacts badly with the wounding or with minoxidl? I can pretty much resist everywhere apart from my temples. A lot of pain in that area, so I was thinking of using some form of topical cream.
Hey man. Thank you!

As long as you wash it off properly, I don't think you'll have a problem. There are more instructions in the post.
Cheers.

Timii

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
and Betadine to sanitize your scalp (users report this is not necessary and that rinsing your head profusely is enough if you use a pen and change cartridges).
What does this mean exactly? I use one of those cheap dermarollers. I sanitize it by soaking it in a vial filled with 70% alcohol. What should I do exactly after dermarolling if I don't want to buy Betadine? And thank you obviously

Bill_Russo

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
What does this mean exactly? I use one of those cheap dermarollers. I sanitize it by soaking it in a vial filled with 70% alcohol. What should I do exactly after dermarolling if I don't want to buy Betadine? And thank you obviously
What that means is: since you're using brand new cartridges every session, sanitizing your scalp with Betadine isn't necessary and profusely rinsing your head with cold water does the trick.
I mention sanitizing just in case people are concerned with this, I know I am (OCD). However, sanitizing the roller might suffice as long as you wash your head with shampoo beforehand so, as I mentioned before, you can just rinse your head with cold water after a session to wash off the blood spots and reduce the inflammation; you won't get an infection.
Some users do this. If you don't want to buy Betadine you can do just that.