Microneedling Faqs: Procedures, Studies And Such

Rocknroutlaw

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
So looks like the derminator 2 is the best device technology wise? im still concerned about the staff. If they decided to ban you from buying on their site, is there any other place you could obtain replacements? the way I understand it is that their cartridges are only sold on their site, so it's insanity to risk it.

They do indeed sound like nutcases! My experience so far has been fine thankfully, although the delivery (from Cz to UK) does take some weeks, so I always had to order in bulk way ahead of time. I have the original Derminator, which has been used at least 30+ times over the last year, so I supposed it has worked out much cheaper than going to salons already. I do wonder what it is with the owner of the business who seems to think nothing of being completely ignorant of customers, as though they rule some kind of monopoly in this business.

Necr0sis

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@ REDNESS
The last 2 photos are lower contrast and it does look better, but the redness still seems concentrated in a few spots & almost non-existent elsewhere. Your aim should be to get as even results as possible.

SPEED
I recommend you the MEDIUM speed on the visible areas (hairline!) cause:

- it is much easier to Derminate evenly than on HIGH &
- it hurts less ;)

MOVEMENT
I would also recommend doing very few passes only in one area and quickly move to another area:

this gives your skin the time to react (redden, bleed), allowing you to better assess where more wounding is needed to obtain even wounding throughout. You can then rotate through all your areas multiple times till the desired wounding is obtained.

INTENSITY
My primary target is NOT a certain DEPTH or DURATION, but the WOUNDING RESULT:
I go for fairly sparse SMALL BLOOD SPOTS but NO BLOOD RUNNING - & use a depth and wounding duration that gives me this result.

DEPTH
I find that at equally set depths, I bleed much more on HIGH speed than on MEDIUM - which is why I suspect the D2 real needling depth increases with speed.

Therefore, your "1.5mm @ FAST" is too hardcore on my HAIRLINE for the above target - if properly pressing D2 to achieve contact with your skin, as should be done to get consistent depth.

SUMMARY
Putting this all together, for me it is:
HAIRLINE = MEDIUM speed @ 1 - 1.5mm;
ELSEWHERE = HIGH Speed @ 1.5 - 2 mm;

Hmm...just to follow up. How many passes in the same area do you find it takes to reach your desired result

Necr0sis

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Does anyone have any good reference photos that show the right amount of wounding and redness that should be achieved

BaldLion

My Regimen
Reaction score
Dermarolling seems promising treatment but there is 2 study showing that microneedling can be potentially lead to skin cancer, but it seems many people do dermarolling tho.
Do you have some study showing the opposite? or do you know people doing it since many years (over 5-10 years) who don't had any issue doing it?
thanks for reply guys

overpourgoodfortune

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@BaldLion - there's been discussion around this on the large microneedling thread. There aren't any long term needlers in the time frame you're speaking of to know for sure (maybe they all died due to cancer of the scalp?) :p

One thing I think about when I hear these cancer claims relates to Follica and their research. I just really doubt a major company would invest into wounding as a primary force of its hair growth if it could cause/promote cancer. They'd open themselves up to so many lawsuits they'd be buried before anyone grew hair with their solutions.

HowardWulkan

My Regimen
Reaction score
wait, what!? i was not aware there was even 1, let alone 2, studies linking microneedling with skin cancer...!

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey guys. Do you put any oil or creme after dermarolling? Just to prevent any infection.

Exactly can someone please answer the question. I asked the same thing yesterday. Alot of derma folks here and no one wants to answer? come on guys....

After needling how long should you wait until you wash your hair, or do any activities that cause sweat. Also as asked should any topicals be applied post derma stamping to prevent infection...??

@overpourgoodfortune ??

ReachBrian

My Regimen
Reaction score
Has anyone seen studies on using ketoconazole (ktz) shampoo after microneedling? I figure what better time than after puncturing your head with a thousand holes.
I have considered doing smp. I already have all the equipment. This may sound funny but as practice I thought about using coffee or something else that would be temporary (possibly henna). Coffee is a stimulant so maybe this could actually help? An added benefit would be that I could easily see what has and hasn't been stamped. Any reason I shouldn't try this?

Last edited:

overpourgoodfortune

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@ReachBrian - there was a bit of conversation in the large needling thread on the timing of Nizoral application after needling. From what I remember... people commented that Nizoral has an anti-inflammatory effect. Although after needling - you don't necessarily want to suppress the inflammation you've just caused with thousands of micro-wounds. You want your immune system to respond to that inflammation to regenerate the wounds. Nizoral application immediately after may interrupt that.

ReachBrian

My Regimen
Reaction score
@overpourgoodfortune Correct is does reduce inflammation which is why I considered using it. Your thought on it was exactly mine as well. To start a healing phase the body produces inflammation, but do we need that much of it?? When you sprain an ankle you RICE it. It still swells but we are advised to limit that.

overpourgoodfortune

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@ReachBrian - interesting analogy. I tend to think that anything after 24H is fair game... although that's based on nothing but my opinion. Healing things quickly afterwards should be a goal ... so with your analogy considered and allowing enough time for the micro-wounds to at least close (apparently this is only a few hours)... 24H would be sufficient in my mind to consider Nizoral application.

eeffoc

My Regimen
Reaction score
Has anyone dug deep into the cancer studies or found any evidence on the contrary? :(

overpourgoodfortune

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@eeffoc & @HowardWulkan - Here was a thread from back in December where this was asked: https://www.hairlosstalk.com/intera...roteasome-inhibitor-in-follica-patent.119268/

I know there was a deep discussion on the subject in the large needling thread, though I'm failing to find the page/section.

Someone posted this link (from Derminator's creator): https://owndoc.com/dermarolling/dermarolling-can-not-cause-skin-cancer/. Of course they have their own agenda in selling Derminators, but still a good response to the question.

Bill_Russo

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The two studies are in the original post! Courtesy of @Wergi who contacted me when Chen posted his results.
Why, you might ask?
These studies show that a regime such as Chen's (daily rolling, forgot the depth, but pretty sure it was over 1 mm) could increase the risk of cancer, which is why dermarolling companies advise against rolling your face more than once a month and stuff.
I wouldn't worry about it if you're needling weekly or twice a month. There was another page linked in the needling thread, but it was a scaremonger article with a conveniently placed "healthy alternative" right at the end of it (a goddamned $80 cream, holy f*****g sh*t).
The old timers such as Kitedude (been rolling for almost 6 years now) report no issue; even Chen who decided to risk it for the biscuit for the past 2 years doesn't seem to have any problems, so... Yeah. Do y'all eat sausages? Cause that also increases the risk of cancer. Soda? Oh yeah. People chug that sh*t on a daily basis. Also increases the risk of cancer.
In short... I don't think you should stop rolling! But I wouldn't go with Chen's regime juuuuuust to be safe.
Peace!

HowardWulkan

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah, like just about anything has the potential to cause cancer lol

Also, if the argument is that repeated inflammation/skin injury causes it, that would be mean ppl who suffer from chronic skin conditions like eczema or acne would constantly be getting skin cancer?

Nergenss

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey all,

I recently started dermaroller once every 2 weeks. When i had decided to start i already had a 0.7 mm roller at home so i started with it. And man, it hurts! but I kept on going because I really want to see results. I see people talk about 1.5 - 2.5 mm rollers, but I already bleed heavily at 0.7 mm, check Telogen Effluvium images. Is that normal or is that oke?

Shall I continue with 0.7 mm or does it make no sense?

Attachments

• fron.png
    fron.png
    509.1 KB · Views: 741
  • IMG_20190305_014352.jpg
    IMG_20190305_014352.jpg
    261.3 KB · Views: 716
  • front.png
    front.png
    683.3 KB · Views: 710