Lots Of New Info On Follica's Website

resu

Reaction score
Again with Minoxidl if you respond it would enlarge those thin hairs and elongate them, no need for Histogen.

Mach

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm a little surprised they have a to-market strategy. Their Phase 2 trial was admitted to be a failure with Lithium Gluconate being ineffective. If minoxidil is the topical, I'm really skeptical here. (It could be PGE2 aka dinoprostone)
I thought lithium gluconate was use to prolong growth factor release like it's used in PRP. The EGFR inhibitor might not as expected? Correct me but I thought they have a time period to prevent signals for skin to grow.

Solomon

Established Member
Reaction score
If this device removes epidermis and even deeper layers of skin. Will it damage miniaturized hair? If it damages it then we will not benefit from RCH. Am I right? :\

KO1

Established Member
Reaction score
I thought lithium gluconate was use to prolong growth factor release like it's used in PRP. The EGFR inhibitor might not as expected? Correct me but I thought they have a time period to prevent signals for skin to grow.

So Lithium Gluconate was used because Lithium is an inhibitor of GSK-3b, which results in a buildup of beta-catenin, which is what Wnt does as well, making Lithium a mimic of Wnt signalling. (Samumed does the same thing btw).

I think they have looked into the EGFR pathway before as their patents did mention it, but it may be too complex and the science not well understood.

KO1

Established Member
Reaction score
I don't have a lot of faith in one HM company's mediocre treatment turning another HM company's mediocre follicles into the real thing.

As for Follica producing stray follicles, IIRC their past experimentation produced consistently dense coverage despite the weak follicles.

I do think their science is pretty all-or-nothing. But if the company is not behaving like they have achieved "all" then it's more likely they are still at the "nothing" stage.

Do you have a link for the bolded part?

coolio

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Sorry, nothing handy. It was all years ago.

I recall they had found a good repeatable effect. But the results were only "follicles" in the scientific sense. In the practical sense they weren't developed enough to be of any use.

If they have anything that is worth commercializing (from our POV) now, then it would have to be a more recent development.

stump

Established Member
Reaction score
Sorry, nothing handy. It was all years ago.

I recall they had found a good repeatable effect. But the results were only "follicles" in the scientific sense. In the practical sense they weren't developed enough to be of any use.

If they have anything that is worth commercializing (from our POV) now, then it would have to be a more recent development.

I doubt that they would try to market and commercialize a method that only produces undeveloped "follicles". They would put their good reputation on the line and also waste a lot of money marketing a product no one would buy after the initial buyers receive no good cosmetic results. They must've improved on previously published results.

Last edited:

KO1

Established Member
Reaction score
^Im skeptical because they haven't done any work in humans since 2011, everything has been on animal models, and as we know mice always grow hair.

coolio

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I also doubt that Follica would commercialize something useless. But I only doubt it for financial reasons. I would not "put it past them" if they believed it would turn a net profit. If they eventually brewed up something effective a few years later then all would be forgiven as soon as the new method was proven.

Still, it leaves us wondering what they are up to now.

rdawg

Reaction score
I have some hope for this. I've seen some people go from NW5 to NW2.

Does anyone know when trials start considering they just released this updated site? Maybe early 2017? Can we get the admin to get us an interviewer and participate in the trial?

Maybe I'm asking for too much but I'm desperate :(

They said earlier this year that best case would be 2018 release, late stage FDA trials started by the end of the year, FDA approval request in 2017 and release by 2018. This was all in a 125 page document they released Just google search Follica its one of the first few things that pop up(cant post link here for some reason)

Seuxin

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I did some research on the patent-banke about Follica / Cotsarelis / FGF9 and i found some pretty interresting things :

https://www.google.fr/patents/EP236...ved=0ahUKEwjz_tnarNjPAhVqLsAKHZfgDd0Q6AEIHDAA

" The present invention provides methods of treating hair loss, treating, inhibiting, or suppressing a degenerative skin disorder, and treating androgenetic alopecia (Androgenetic Alopecia) in a subject and generating new hair follicles (HF) and increasing the size of existing HF, comprising epidermal disruption or administration of wnt, and administration of a fibroblast growth factor-9 polypeptide or another compound that upregulates sonic hedgehog gene signaling. [006] Thus, in one embodiment, the present invention provides a method of treating hair loss in a subject comprising the steps of (a) disrupting the epidermis in the region of saidhair loss in said subject and (b) administering a composition comprising a fibroblast growth factor-9 polypeptide to said subject. "

Fgf9 from dermal γδ T cells induces hair follicle neogenesis after wounding :

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4054871/

" Administration of doxycycline to these mice induces expression of Fgf9 targeted to the epidermis ".

--> Doxycycline could be a part of the topical...

Other pdf : http://www.cell.com/cell/pdf/S0092-8674(10)01371-1.pdf

--> Doxycycline appear to be a part of the "trick" ;) For the dermabrasion ? Use Sandpaper :D

KO1

Established Member
Reaction score
No doxy doesn't work. Those mice specifically responded to doxy. Pge2 upregulates FGF however.

KO1

Established Member
Reaction score
Check out the original fgf9 paper from 2013. They describe the mice used, the mice were modified to respond to doxy

Seuxin

Experienced Member
Reaction score
The idea is to find a way to create a ghetto protocol for this follica cure. Dermabrasion + topic. Pge2 is an option, but, is there any others ? For the dermabrasion...what can be used ? Mecanical ? Chemical ?

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
The idea is to find a way to create a ghetto protocol for this follica cure. Dermabrasion + topic. Pge2 is an option, but, is there any others ? For the dermabrasion...what can be used ? Mecanical ? Chemical ?

Belt_sander_bosch.jpg

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
You stole my idea HelloUser ! What about the topical?

PGE2 and LiCl for topical with dermabrasion, well, thats what I use anyway (along with SETI, minoxidil and RU)

Noisette

Established Member
Reaction score
^Im skeptical because they haven't done any work in humans since 2011, everything has been on animal models, and as we know mice always grow hair.

How do you Know they haven't done any work on humans since 2011 ? :)
They are very secretive, and we know something new when a patent will be published / or on a press release (puretech health).
Follica plans to initiate a registration study in the second half of 2016 or in the first half of 2017 => this is a work on humans and not mices. And If the data are favourable, Follica would potentially plan to seek FDA clearance in 2017, with commercial release to follow as soon as 2018 or later 2018.

On this picture you can see that their protocol works on humans and not only on mice. 100 new hairs / cm2 and 25% are Terminal Hairs. Optional: The vellus hairs can be transform into terminal with HSC (Histogen). So that is a great thing.

492307follica01.jpg

KO1

Established Member
Reaction score
How do you Know they haven't done any work on humans since 2011 ? :)
They are very secretive, and we know something new when a patent will be published / or on a press release (puretech health).
Follica plans to initiate a registration study in the second half of 2016 or in the first half of 2017 => this is a work on humans and not mices. And If the data are favourable, Follica would potentially plan to seek FDA clearance in 2017, with commercial release to follow as soon as 2018 or later 2018.

Their last clinical trial ended in 2011, and they haven't been involved in a clinical trial since. (Clinical trials are registered and visible online). They will do a study in 2017, however, that will be their first since 2011. Btw where is the photo from? Interested to see the 100 new hairs number.