Is Anyone Using spironolactone + Duta For Awhile Without Sides?

arnoldd

Experienced Member
Reaction score
If it's any consolation, my hair loss is much much worst, and with toppik I kind of manage to hide it. Sometimes it makes me really really really sad, but I can't live my life only according to what's going on with my hair. You need to think of other things and go step by step.

This is totally true. Thinking about other things like job/study or hobbies really helps.

BaldingGuy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@kawnshawn I tend to agree with you! 1- I also started to lose a lot more hair after starting the meds and I highly doubt it was a coincidence.. 2- If the only culprit was dht Duta would be a cure..

I also think the crazy itch has a lead role in guys who are rapidly losing hair.. I know when i'm going to shed by the type and level of itchiness.. Don't know what causes it though.. I also get back acne in those periods.. don't know why either! But i hate it...

Anyway, you were on spironolactone for how long? Were you on fina or duta too? Did you see any results in terms of hair maintenance/thickening ?

kj6723

My Regimen
Reaction score
I was on oral minoxidil a bit, didn't have any sides whatsoever.

Were you on topical minoxidil at the same time? Biggest concern is I don't want to drop topical but afraid topical + oral will be too much

kawnshawn

Established Member
Reaction score
Were you on topical minoxidil at the same time? Biggest concern is I don't want to drop topical but afraid topical + oral will be too much
I was not doing topical the same time as oral but I was doing 10mg of oral a day which is a high dose.

kj6723

My Regimen
Reaction score
I was not doing topical the same time as oral but I was doing 10mg of oral a day which is a high dose.

Cool. I am thinking of adding maybe just like 2.5mg and continuing with topical

Georgie

My Regimen
Reaction score
@Georgie May i ask if you had precocious puberty,if your early menopause was anorexia induced,and if
you've ever made use of anabolic steroids?
Nope, normal puberty. I believe the early menopause was from the damage done by anorexia and issues involving pelvic/tubal trauma caused by sexual assault. NEVER used steroids or ever would

arnoldd

Experienced Member
Reaction score
It's all because of reflex hyperandrogenicity ... I was on Cyproterone for 6 months, my testosterone was really low ... and I was still losing my hair, it was even worse than before because I made the mistake to lower Dutasteride to 1mg EOD. My DHT is too strong, my androgen receptors love it too much.

Forget reflex hyperandrogenicity.
Alopecia androgenetic is caused by androgens and you killed all with cypio and duta. Your problem its something else in my opinion. Your intense itchy can be caused from another disease or from some allergy to some medication o something else.

Georgie

My Regimen
Reaction score
It's all because of reflex hyperandrogenicity ... I was on Cyproterone for 6 months, my testosterone was really low ... and I was still losing my hair, it was even worse than before because I made the mistake to lower Dutasteride to 1mg EOD. My DHT is too strong, my androgen receptors love it too much.
Seems like people with DUPA/retrograde have some other weird sh*t going on that just makes us totally resistant to treatment. It is SO f*****g annoying!!!!!

itchymadscalp

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Forget reflex hyperandrogenicity.
Alopecia androgenetic is caused by androgens and you killed all with cypio and duta. Your problem its something else in my opinion. Your intense itchy can be caused from another disease or from some allergy to some medication o something else.

No. Definitively no.
I have alopecia androgenetic, no doubt about it ... I tried to up my dose of dutasteride to 6 pills a day ... no more itchy scalp. But I can't keep that high dose for so long and it will never end.
With Cypro 50mg and "only" 0.5mg or 1mg a day I had pretty high libido, really high libido (with high dose dutasteride almost no libido) ... Under castration levels of testosterone but still had libido, weird... Thanks or because of DHT, which was still produced from the small part of Testosterone, and because of high sensitivity of the receptors.
My problem is my androgen receptors are too sensitive to DHT now, that's all. I have DUPA, itchy scalp, all because of that DHT and I'm sure about that. You won't convince me just because you're saying the opposite. You can try, but with something concrete. I would love to have something that is not androgenic alopecia with androgen receptors upregulation.
I'm trying to PGD2 blocker now, I hope it will help.

Georgie

My Regimen
Reaction score
With very high dose of Dutasteride I can maintain and even regrowth my hair. I'm sure of that ... but I was taking 0.5mg at the beginning, then 1mg ... later 2mg ... it never ends. Because of those androgen receptors being too sensitive after some time.
And I don't want to take high dose dutasteride ... because it costs a lot, and because the main issue is the lack of libido, almost none, sometime nothing at all.
I'm sure there is a cure for us ... I don't want to accept we cannot do anything about that. It must has something than can regrow our hair, even if we have DUPA/Retrograde. Seti, Sulfa, OC, TM, ... ?
Sadly all the hardcore treatments are expensive. Have you thought about trying darolutamide? Idealforehead tried up to 2.5mg dutas and it didn’t work for him, he also tried CPA and spironolactone with no results, but daro regrew his hair. Idk. It’s too early for me to say anything about it but he swears by it. Do you use minoxidil?

Georgie

My Regimen
Reaction score
No. Definitively no.
I have alopecia androgenetic, no doubt about it ... I tried to up my dose of dutasteride to 6 pills a day ... no more itchy scalp. But I can't keep that high dose for so long and it will never end.
With Cypro 50mg and "only" 0.5mg or 1mg a day I had pretty high libido, really high libido (with high dose dutasteride almost no libido) ... Under castration levels of testosterone but still had libido, weird... Thanks or because of DHT, which was still produced from the small part of Testosterone, and because of high sensitivity of the receptors.
My problem is my androgen receptors are too sensitive to DHT now, that's all. I have DUPA, itchy scalp, all because of that DHT and I'm sure about that. You won't convince me just because you're saying the opposite. You can try, but with something concrete. I would love to have something that is not androgenic alopecia with androgen receptors upregulation.
So you never got erectile issues, dry skin/eyes, water retention or anything even on that high dose?!

itchymadscalp

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Sadly all the hardcore treatments are expensive. Have you thought about trying darolutamide? Idealforehead tried up to 2.5mg dutas and it didn’t work for him, he also tried CPA and spironolactone with no results, but daro regrew his hair. Idk. It’s too early for me to say anything about it but he swears by it. Do you use minoxidil?

I don't believe in Darolutamide ... I think hormonal route for me is a dead end in a long term use. After some times it could makes my receptors even more sensitive (like Bicalutamide, Enzalutamide). And it's too expensive ... Maybe if PGD2 treaments don't work, I will try Darolutamide.
Yeah I use Minoxidil (Topical and Oral 5mg), didn't help at all :/

itchymadscalp

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
So you never got erectile issues, dry skin/eyes, water retention or anyone even on that high dose?!

I had some erection issues but really it was nothing, just a big weaker. I had high prolactin because of CPA ... that's why I stopped (and because it didn't work).

Last edited:

Georgie

My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't believe in Darolutamide ... I think hormonal route for me is a dead end in a long term use. After some times it could makes my receptors even more sensitive (like Bicalutamide, Enzalutamide). And it's too expensive ... Maybe if PGD2 treaments don't work, I will try Darolutamide.
Yeah I use Minoxidil (Topical and Oral 5mg), didn't help at all :/
Which PGD2 inhibitor are you looking at? I want to try one too but they’re so expensive

itchymadscalp

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
@Georgie : I'm trying NAC topically and orally (thanks for the advice ;) ) ... I hope it will help. Then Sulfasalazine, then TM and later Seti if the other drugs didn't help :p

Georgie

My Regimen
Reaction score
@Georgie : I'm trying NAC topically and orally (thanks for the advice ;) ) ... I hope it will help. Then Sulfasalazine, then TM and later Seti if the other drugs didn't help :p
I just bought some sulfa and I’m on the oral NAC too. I won’t get the sulfa for a few weeks because i got it online. I would try TM or Seti but it’s unaffordable! I also don’t know how to make topical TM

itchymadscalp

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I just bought some sulfa and I’m on the oral NAC too. I won’t get the sulfa for a few weeks because i got it online. I would try TM or Seti but it’s unaffordable! I also don’t know how to make topical TM

Same here ... I'm not really sure how to make topical solution for TM ... I will try 0.5% solution, 7 days max ... it will be difficult to weigh it exactly :/ ... Maybe I will use only alcool and DMSO (no water, because it degrades TM).

Maybe Nac will help you, maybe Sulfa ... maybe both ... maybe none of them :( ... But I think it's better than taking hormones (PCOS women and guys with high sensitivity have something in common ... I'm not sure but I have this feeling).

pjhair

My Regimen
Reaction score
No. Definitively no.

I agree with you. It's pointless to blame it on something else as DHT is known to cause itchy, burning scalp. Dutasteride blocks close to 98% of DHT so it's surprising that you are still experiencing those symptoms. I will really like to understand why androgen receptors in people like us respond in that way.

Georgie

My Regimen
Reaction score
Same here ... I'm not really sure how to make topical solution for TM ... I will try 0.5% solution, 7 days max ... it will be difficult to weigh it exactly :/ ... Maybe I will use only alcool and DMSO (no water, because it degrades TM).

Maybe Nac will help you, maybe Sulfa ... maybe both ... maybe none of them :( ... But I think it's better than taking hormones (PCOS women and guys with high sensitivity have something in common ... I'm not sure but I have this feeling).
I know it’s a long shot, but did you ever consider copper peptides? I’ve only used them in lash serums but they work incredibly well at least on my eyelashes

itchymadscalp

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I agree with you. It's pointless to blame it on something else as DHT is known to cause itchy, burning scalp. Dutasteride blocks close to 98% of DHT so it's surprising that you are still experiencing those symptoms. I will really like to understand why androgen receptors in people like us respond in that way.

I think Dutasteride can block 90% or even more of the DHT in the blood ... but it's not the same in scalp. I can't remember where I read it lowers "only" 60% and 80% à 2mg ...
I really don't know why some people get that androgen receptors upregulation and others don't. Same thing with men who get cancer prostate and antiandrogen treatments never worked because they are resistant to them, while the majority of treated men react well.
I know it's because of DHT. I've been suffering of AAG for more than 10 years to be able to make a connection between hairloss/itchy scalp and DHT/Testosterone, especially when I lower my dutasteride dose.