Is Anyone Using spironolactone + Duta For Awhile Without Sides?

countjulian

My Regimen
Reaction score
First I have to figure out why the f*** I’m constantly growing and receding like my hair has a bloody 3 month anagen cycle. If someone could explain why that hair has turned terminal and miniturised over and over rather than just growing and staying terminal, that would be great. I have literally never ever heard of anyone going through this sh*t where minoxidil switches hair on and off maybe twice a f*****g year. So far it’s the only thing to regrow any hair at all and it may actually just be causing my hair growth to be shortened to a measly few god damn months. I’m f*****g sick of all of this bullshit

You're on a lot of hormonal medicines so I would guess if anything the cycles are more related to upswings and downswings in your androgen levels than to the minoxidil. I think consistent application of daro will prove this to be the case due to the total binding of your follicular androgen receptors.

Georgie

My Regimen
Reaction score
You're on a lot of hormonal medicines so I would guess if anything the cycles are more related to upswings and downswings in your androgen levels than to the minoxidil. I think consistent application of daro will prove this to be the case due to the total binding of your follicular androgen receptors.
Hairline is still receding. Been on avodart almost three months and the hairloss and miniturisation hasn’t halted. Same deal with spironolactone and the pill. There’s actually something totally f*****g wrong with me.

countjulian

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hairline is still receding. Been on avodart almost three months and the hairloss and miniturisation hasn’t halted. Same deal with spironolactone and the pill. There’s actually something totally f*****g wrong with me.

You've been on Daro for like a week you've got to give it more time. Daro binds the receptors and its thousands of times stronger than RU.

countjulian

My Regimen
Reaction score

spironolactone spikes E more than tampering T from what I understand and duta only removes 5AR, it doesn't do anything about free T. If your hair loss is AA daro will kill it.

countjulian

My Regimen
Reaction score
Also IMO your cortisol levels are off the charts and probably going higher, you should try to do something about that. Ashwagandha has helped me alot recently I think.

Last edited:

Georgie

My Regimen
Reaction score
Also IMO your cortiaol levels are off the chaets and probably going higher, you should try to do something about that. Ashwagandha has helpee me alot recebtly I think.
None of this explains why my hair does grow on minoxidil, and grows like weeds, but for only 2-3 months out of the year then stops.

countjulian

My Regimen
Reaction score
None of this explains why my hair does grow on minoxidil, and grows like weeds, but for only 2-3 months out of the year then stops.

Correlation isn't necessarily causation, a hormonal explanation is the answer OccamsO razor favors here. If the cause is minoxidil then the answer is likely unknowable at this point since we really don't have a fundamental understanding of why minoxidil works in the first place. Also if your alopecia is androgenitic in nature answering that question is not a prerequisite of solving your problem. If you have Androgenetic Alopecia them the answer is to block the androgens on your scalp.

Georgie

My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't really see recession Georgie...
Here’s an example of before I started treatment. Left is my natural hairline. Very low. Right is 2014 - the year my hair began falling out. This would have been around August when I took the photo. You can see how my hairline is receding back all around my hairline. minoxidil does help with this, but not all the time. It’s so frustrating.

Attachments

• ED9C8F24-5102-454F-AEAC-2BB7587F40F9.jpeg
    ED9C8F24-5102-454F-AEAC-2BB7587F40F9.jpeg
    94.3 KB · Views: 303

sadila

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Here’s an example of before I started treatment. Left is my natural hairline. Very low. Right is 2014 - the year my hair began falling out. This would have been around August when I took the photo. You can see how my hairline is receding back all around my hairline. minoxidil does help with this, but not all the time. It’s so frustrating.
Daaayum Georgie back at it again with the gym selfies.
There's indeed a change in the hairline frame, but nothing to go crazy about imo.
have you done in any form a proper diagnosis on your hair ?

Georgie

My Regimen
Reaction score
Daaayum Georgie back at it again with the gym selfies.
There's indeed a change in the hairline frame, but nothing to go crazy about imo.
have you done in any form a proper diagnosis on your hair ?
It was bad before I started taking minoxidil. Even so, I don’t get regrowth all the time. Just short bursts for a few months then the recession again. I’m powerless. I just watch my whole hair circumference regrow and then recede again and again, but if I wasn’t in minoxidil I wouldn’t get any sort of regrowth so I guess I’ll take it.

I was diagnosed with Androgenetic Alopecia via scalp biopsy, but I have a weird pattern of loss which is like DUPA/restrograde but I also have a widening part. My hairline all the way around recedes vertically - nape, temples, ears, sides.. everywhere. I also have thinning of lashes and brows. I have tried a few things that haven’t worked and/or don’t seem to be working. I have no idea what to do.

sadila

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It was bad before I started taking minoxidil. Even so, I don’t get regrowth all the time. Just short bursts for a few months then the recession again. I’m powerless. I just watch my whole hair circumference regrow and then recede again and again, but if I wasn’t in minoxidil I wouldn’t get any sort of regrowth so I guess I’ll take it.

I was diagnosed with Androgenetic Alopecia via scalp biopsy, but I have a weird pattern of loss which is like DUPA/restrograde but I also have a widening part. My hairline all the way around recedes vertically - nape, temples, ears, sides.. everywhere. I also have thinning of lashes and brows. I have tried a few things that haven’t worked and/or don’t seem to be working. I have no idea what to do.
From the pics you provided, the receiding is minimal. obviously you know you hair better than anyone but i can say that your hairloss is very slow and barely noticeable. at this rate you can still enjoy your life to your mid fourties 99% of your surrounding won't notice your hairloss. but also by that time you'll have plenty of other choices than you do for now so you should be okay

Georgie

My Regimen
Reaction score
From the pics you provided, the receiding is minimal. obviously you know you hair better than anyone but i can say that your hairloss is very slow and barely noticeable. at this rate you can still enjoy your life to your mid fourties 99% of your surrounding won't notice your hairloss. but also by that time you'll have plenty of other choices than you do for now so you should be okay
So my hair went for the left to the right within a matter of months. It is not slow, it’s rapid, and the only thing that has slowed it down somewhat it minoxidil. Otherwise my hairline would be god knows where today. If you know anything about DUPA, it’s known to be rapidly progressive.

countjulian

My Regimen
Reaction score

You just started Daro, there is no way you can say with any certainty that that's not working.

kj6723

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey, I’m female but I’ll chime in. I took spironolactone 200mg for almost a year a couple of years back. Never made any difference whatsoever, but it did make me really skinny and dehydrated. I looked pale and sunken with dry skin and dark circles under my eyes. I stopped because it was ineffective other than to make me sick. I’ve been on oral minoxidil and topical minoxidil the whole time also, plus Diane35 the pill. Never stopped loss. Recently I’ve been taking avodart/Dutasteride coming up to 3 months. Had a shed for 4 weeks at the one month mark, and it made my skin a little dry and itchy for a while plus dry eyes, also it seems to increase my libido. This may be TMI but I was having some issues with breakthrough bleeding constantly on the pill and it’s totally stopped that. No stoppage of hairloss or regrowth. Recently (now almost 3 weeks) I’ve been using topical darolutamide. No changes, but the dry eyes are back.
Seems nothing stops my hairloss.

Did you have any issues you associate with using both oral and topical minoxidil together? I'm considering adding a small dose of oral but I don't want to stop topical as I've had a positive response to it, I'm just not quite where I want to be and I think I may be at or near the plateau of what I'm going to achieve with it

I'm mostly worried about increased water retention and developing cankles from too much systemic minoxidil

kawnshawn

Established Member
Reaction score
Little update on my end. Been off spironolactone 200mg a week now. Ball ache is gone and libido is back up. Not entirely back to baseline which I'm alright with because I have very high libido. Very little shedding and the hairs I do shed are little ones which to me is a good sign. Gonna start back up at 50mg a day. I am getting raloxifene since its the best medication that prevents gyno and has little side effects compared to others.
I've come to believe now that in certain people who are extremely prone to hair loss that testosterone can be the culprit, not just DHT. The late great Bryan who was a god when it came to studying hair loss in the academic sense also came to this conclusion. It makes sense that while on finasteride I lost so much hair because while it lowers DHT it also raises testosterone. Same goes for anti-androgen like enza, bicalutimde, ect.

kawnshawn

Established Member
Reaction score
Did you have any issues you associate with using both oral and topical minoxidil together? I'm considering adding a small dose of oral but I don't want to stop topical as I've had a positive response to it, I'm just not quite where I want to be and I think I may be at or near the plateau of what I'm going to achieve with it

I'm mostly worried about increased water retention and developing cankles from too much systemic minoxidil
I was on oral minoxidil a bit, didn't have any sides whatsoever.

Calchas

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@Georgie May i ask if you had precocious puberty,if your early menopause was anorexia induced,and if
you've ever made use of anabolic steroids?