Is Anyone Using spironolactone + Duta For Awhile Without Sides?

BaldingGuy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Basically what I want to know is that if anyone has been on spironolactone and/or duta for awhile with no major sides? Would also like to know if it sopped your hairloss and if anyone had regrowth!!

I was 10 months on finasteride + minoxidil with horrible results.. Started to shed in the end of the first month and after that it was a nightmare.. Non stop shed! I never knew it was possible to lose so much density in such short time, it was like the hair fell and never grew back.. Also developed an awful dermatitis on the third month!

Last month I replaced Fina with Duta and the shedding slowed down a lot! Some days are better than others but even the itch is undoubtedly better.. But in those 10 months my hair took a huge hit (my frontal and crown areas were affected the most), the right side of my hairline is getting visible under my mirror light.. it sucks.

The thing is I doubt duta will regrow anything on my frontal region so I'm thinking of adding spironolactone since I've heard people talking about it. I won't go the RU route because I tried importing spironolactone and it got stuck in customs so I don't think I can get my hands on RU... But I went to my derm and she's willing to give me a prescription for spironolactone..

I just want to know if anyone is taking both (6 months or more) with success and without major sides like total ED, face feminizing, potassium related health issues... I know I have a good chance of losing some libido and gyno but I'm willing to risk it if there's also a good chance of it working for my hair without major sides!

Anyone?

itchymadscalp

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
You can try but don't except too much of it. If Dutasteride is not a definitive cure for you, I don't believe spironolactone will be of a great help.

I tried for a year, the first 6 months were ok, but after that spironolactone stopped working and I still don't know why (it was legit) and I lost a lot of hair because of that. I was taking 100mg.

BaldingGuy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@itchymadscalp Thanks man! I'm not expecting a miracle but if this shedding and itching could just stop it would be great!!
Did you have any itching and if you did, during those 6 months did it go away?
Also, did you have any kind of sides on spironolactone?

If my hairloss progresses on Duta and spironolactone, I don't know really what to do next... :(

itchymadscalp

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
@BaldingGuy : The itchy goes away after high dose of dutasteride only (something like 2 to 4 pills a day. spironolactone didn't help.

BaldingGuy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks! I'll also try that.. I hate that freaking itch man!

Jesse Navarro

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You can try but don't except too much of it. If Dutasteride is not a definitive cure for you, I don't believe spironolactone will be of a great help.

I tried for a year, the first 6 months were ok, but after that spironolactone stopped working and I still don't know why (it was legit) and I lost a lot of hair because of that. I was taking 100mg.
You lost a lot of hair while on spironolactone or you lost after you dropped it?

itchymadscalp

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score

BaldingGuy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
What I do is I take 4 pills every other day ... and it's not the same like taking 2 pills everyday ... I do that after someone here on the forum suggested it, and it makes a big difference, even if it doesnt make sense.

Well, i think it does make some sense! Do you take the pills at the same time or like 2 in the morning and 2 at night?

I can't do that right now because I don't have enough pills to last me until my next appointment (end of the month) but after that I going to do 2mg Duta EOD + 150mg spironolactone ED + 2x 1ml minoxidil 5% ED.. If that doesn't do the trick idk man.....

itchymadscalp

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
@BaldingGuy : In the same time. You can try 1mg Duta EOD first.
If it doesnt work try sulfasalazine, setipripant, tm30089, or something else :/

kawnshawn

Established Member
Reaction score
Basically what I want to know is that if anyone has been on spironolactone and/or duta for awhile with no major sides? Would also like to know if it sopped your hairloss and if anyone had regrowth!!

I was 10 months on finasteride + minoxidil with horrible results.. Started to shed in the end of the first month and after that it was a nightmare.. Non stop shed! I never knew it was possible to lose so much density in such short time, it was like the hair fell and never grew back.. Also developed an awful dermatitis on the third month!

Last month I replaced Fina with Duta and the shedding slowed down a lot! Some days are better than others but even the itch is undoubtedly better.. But in those 10 months my hair took a huge hit (my frontal and crown areas were affected the most), the right side of my hairline is getting visible under my mirror light.. it sucks.

The thing is I doubt duta will regrow anything on my frontal region so I'm thinking of adding spironolactone since I've heard people talking about it. I won't go the RU route because I tried importing spironolactone and it got stuck in customs so I don't think I can get my hands on RU... But I went to my derm and she's willing to give me a prescription for spironolactone..

I just want to know if anyone is taking both (6 months or more) with success and without major sides like total ED, face feminizing, potassium related health issues... I know I have a good chance of losing some libido and gyno but I'm willing to risk it if there's also a good chance of it working for my hair without major sides!

Anyone?
Well I'm on my 2-3 week of spironolactone 200mg a day and am going to stop for a while. Past 2 days I've had bad ball ache and my nipples have become incredibly soft. Pretty obvious what that means. Has actually worked pretty damn well in stopping shedding and itch. I think the issue was starting out at 200mg right off the bat.

BaldingGuy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks @itchymadscalp ! I'll definitely try them in the future, if they get through customs...
I've heard people saying positive things about seti.. Maybe my next bet if my treatment ends up failing !

It's f'd up because i just want a few more years with decent hair but with all this battling and focusing on male pattern baldness, I'm not even having fun in what's left of my 20's.. All this shedding and itching reminding me of my hair loss puts me in a constant bad mood and I just can't help it.. That's why I'll go to almost any lengths to try and stop it... :(

@kawnshawn Yeah, signs of future gyno! Will you try again with a lower dose and build up to 200mg?

kawnshawn

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks @itchymadscalp ! I'll definitely try them in the future, if they get through customs...
I've heard people saying positive things about seti.. Maybe my next bet if my treatment ends up failing !

It's f'd up because i just want a few more years with decent hair but with all this battling and focusing on male pattern baldness, I'm not even having fun in what's left of my 20's.. All this shedding and itching reminding me of my hair loss puts me in a constant bad mood and I just can't help it.. That's why I'll go to almost any lengths to try and stop it... :(

@kawnshawn Yeah, signs of future gyno! Will you try again with a lower dose and build up to 200mg?
Gonna take a break for a while and return to baseline. When I do restart I'm gonna start microdosing at 25 mg a day for a month or two and work from there

pjhair

My Regimen
Reaction score
From Finasteride and then Dutasteride ... :'(

Man finasteride did that to me as well. I went from thick NW0 to NW2(1.5 according to some people) in matter of 3 months. Density went down significantly as well. I use to be able to slick my hair back with gel and it looked amazing. Can't do that anymore as my scalp becomes visible and hair looks thin when wet. My hair became extremely oily as well whereas before it used to be dry. I was 26 when I took finasteride so it's not like I hit puberty. It's been 10 years since then and my hair is still oily.

I am fine for now as my hair loss slowed down significantly after I quit finasteride. However, If my male pattern baldness does become aggressive in future, is there any med that can stop it? Drugs that have similar mechanism as finasteride are out of question. What about spironolactone?

itchymadscalp

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
@pjhair : I tried spironolactone ... it worked first, then stopped working after some months. So I don't know. Some guys had good results, not me. Try Seti, Sulfasalazine, TM30089, ... :/

pjhair

My Regimen
Reaction score
@pjhair : I tried spironolactone ... it worked first, then stopped working after some months. So I don't know. Some guys had good results, not me. Try Seti, Sulfasalazine, TM30089, ... :/

It's good to know that spironolactone at least somewhat worked for you. So there are anti androgens that can work for people like us who get hyperandrogenicity on finasteride/dutasteride. I will keep that in mind.

pjhair

My Regimen
Reaction score
@pjhair : yeah it stopped working after some times ... same with Cyproterone. I just stopped, I will have the biggest shedding and itchy scalp of my life ... :/

Man it's incredibly frustrating that meds that are supposed to work actually make it worse for those prone to hyperandrogenicity. Another frustrating thing is that people don't even believe it exists and hence there are no attempts to understand or treat it. But it's all too real to those of us who have experienced it.

Last edited:

itchymadscalp

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
@pjhair : you said it all

And if DHT is still killing our hair ? What about our prostate ? Someone already had that fear on this forum (I can't remember who) ... but it's really something to be afraid of, I think.

BaldingGuy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I can relate ! Density was never ever my problem! I went to the derm because my head was itching for 3-4 months but wasn't shedding or nothing like that, just the annoying itch and a little recession that was there for some years.. My barber used to tell me that the cure would be out way before I go bald! But this was 7 months ago, the amount of density I lost after is soul crushing!

At this rate I doubt that i'll have 3 more months without having to buzz or cut my hair real short... It's almost like my hair fell and never got replaced, like wtf?!! How can I be in this shape in less than a year ?!!

Maybe i experienced that hyperandrogenicity effect because my hair loss definitely accelerated after starting fina + minoxidil... That's why I want to try spironolactone, so I can block some Testosterone too! I've read some theories that T may play a role in male pattern baldness specially in the frontal part (more sensitive to androgens) and that's why AR blockers aren't as good keeping your frontal hair... No proof though!

The truth is that there are guys who had almost miracle results, others not so much but I'm willing to try even with all the risks associated with spironolactone ..