If you started to go grey, would you color your hair?

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
I'm 38 and my hair has started to go gray. I believe the main reason is stress. And no, I do not intend to color my hair because it would look fake and ridiculous. I'm waiting for a pill to come out, Propecia for gray hair. L'Oreal was on to something but they probably sold the patent to some greedy competitor and made tons of money and we got nothing. :(

- - - Updated - - -

I think albinos look cool.
A cream is already available and its called Psuedocatalase cream. Google it. Its used for vitiligo but it can work for gray hair.

Wolf Pack

My Regimen
Reaction score
The theory may be sound for that but I don't think it's undergone large scale clinical trials. Personally I would dye it if greys happened before a certain age. One of the advantages of having jet black hair, the dye doesn't look fake. The lighter colours don't seem to look as good.

Agustin Araujo

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm already going grey, and I just don't want to put up with coloring my hair especially with the hair loss regimen that I'm on. Right now, my hair going grey is still in the earliest stages and isn't too bad yet, though is detectable with proper observation of my hair. Basically, I still have nearly all my original hair color. I've recently been researching if there's any supplements, treatments, vitamins, anything that will help slow/stop/reverse hairs turning grey.

Mr White

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm already going grey, and I just don't want to put up with coloring my hair especially with the hair loss regimen that I'm on. Right now, my hair going grey is still in the earliest stages and isn't too bad yet, though is detectable with proper observation of my hair. Basically, I still have nearly all my original hair color. I've recently been researching if there's any supplements, treatments, vitamins, anything that will help slow stop/reverse hairs turning grey.

There are supplements for gray hair and some claim they contain pseudocatalase but I don't trust any of them.

Like Wolf Pack and House said, pseudocatalse seems to be THE solution but there are no reliable studies yet.

Wolf Pack

My Regimen
Reaction score
^ FDA has shut down a few of these companies selling this enzyme in pills. Amazon is littered with fake reviews. Best best is to dye it if you're young and there are too many greys. Or just let it be, there were some guys I knew that had greys since 18 and it looked fine. Hair itself is most crucial.

Wait until something more concrete comes out or you will be wasting your money. It's like those rubbish thickening shampoos for hair loss..yeah right it will do something except be a financial loss.

xfade

Reaction score
I started going grey in my early 20's. I think I'm just gonna embrace it... as they say women dig the salt n' pepper look.

Captain Hook

Established Member
Reaction score
No question. Definitely would if I started greying in my 40s (dad didn't go grey until 55 but he coloured his hair up until recently, he's 62 now) and I'd probably stop and aim for the salt+pepper look once I hit 60.

My hair is dark brown but looks black under most forms of lighting and most people think my hair is black. Jet black dye wouldn't be obvious at all.

persistentone

Established Member
Reaction score
Can someone point us to a specific catalase cream they have used for grey hair and give us results of using that on hair?

There is a lot of confusion in the discussion in this thread about catalase. There are supplements that contain catalase, but these are NOT the ones studied for grey hair. For one thing, catalase supplements do not survive digestion. For another thing, catalase that is introduced systemically may downregulate the body's own catalase production, thus giving no net catalase.

In any case, the pseudocatalase studied for grey hair is a cream, and it is applied topically to the scalp. There are vendors selling this but it is not at all clear which of these are legitimate, what is the required dosing of catalase, which are effective for grey hair, etc.

I don't feel that using this in a topical cream on the scalp is particularly high risk, so I see very little reason to wait for more studies.

ckmsaunders

Reaction score
If you went grey before you were 40, would you color your hair. If you went grey after 40, would you color your hair? Lets assume you stay between a NW2 and NW5, but go grey. Just curious. My answer is yes to both.

Neither. Both because I like the salt and pepper look, and because I'd be worried about how to eventually *stop* dyeing it.

crowcrow223

Reaction score
I'd do my best to make it look as natural as possible, but at the same time I know natural colours don't really stick well to grey hair :x

bgx

Reaction score
I'm 19 now and I would, but I also color my hair now anyways. I have a short cut (2 on top, 1 on sides/facial hair). My hair is naturally black but I have a red beard, so I color all of it black for consistency and beard visibility so I wouldn't mind doing the same for grays.