I Prevail. The End Of A Long Agonizing Road.

bridgeburn

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm fairly sure but not positive the awful shedding was probably due to Mino10 being bunk pills.
lmao, that blows my mind. Mino10 was legit, It was the first oral minoxidil pills I started with. I took 200 pills and they worked. I thought maybe it was because you were forced to switch brands you shedded. but your experience is your experience.

until I started drinking the liquid.
eww

Ridiculously cheaper than the pills!
It must be extremely cheap because pills are already cheap.

Arrade

My Regimen
Reaction score
Once you've grown all your hair back you might be able to drop the minoxidil if you stay on cypro. The cypro should keep the hair that you have. I am on a similar regimen, you actually use twice as much cypro as i do.
What does cypro do?

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
lmao, that blows my mind. Mino10 was legit, It was the first oral minoxidil pills I started with. I took 200 pills and they worked. I thought maybe it was because you were forced to switch brands you shedded. but your experience is your experience.

eww

It must be extremely cheap because pills are already cheap.
My experience was definitely one of the stranger ones, I'm just glad its going my way now lol. Yup very cheap! 3 month supply of topical will last me 24 months drinking at 12.5mg!!

bridgeburn

My Regimen
Reaction score
3 month supply of topical will last me 24 months drinking at 12.5mg!!
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
Hank_Hill_Bwah.jpg

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
My experience was definitely one of the stranger ones, I'm just glad its going my way now lol. Yup very cheap! 3 month supply of topical will last me 24 months drinking at 12.5mg!!

How long is that now you have been taking oral minoxidil now Andy? im just over 4 months and the results are a bit underwhelming, thinking of using topical at night on my crown. Do you think it takes oral longer to work than topical? I have seen new hair grow in places like my hands and nose hair(lol) but my crown is still a mess.

DuckThisSheet

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Shiet, i was going to order the pills, but... f*** them if they can be taken on the border in my country. Do you still use minoxidil topically? Or only orally?

Obsessive

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Depression from what at the time was powerful treatments failing me caused a fair bit of comfort eating and alcohol abuse, posted here quite often drunk. Bad times.

That's such an accurate comment. I was so confident that estrogel on temples/hairline would have shown some benefit by now, but no such luck after ~10 weeks. In fact, I wonder if it's accelerating the recession.

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Are you transitioning into female with cypro?
I am not, I'm using cypro as finasteride is not strong enough on its own to even slow down my balding. Cypro won't turn you into a female, besides very slight gyno which isn't noticeable to others ( even my girlfriend ) I still look very much male.
How long is that now you have been taking oral minoxidil now Andy? im just over 4 months and the results are a bit underwhelming, thinking of using topical at night on my crown. Do you think it takes oral longer to work than topical? I have seen new hair grow in places like my hands and nose hair(lol) but my crown is still a mess.
I'm not sure exactly but roughly a year and a half. When I was 4 months in just before my monster shed my regrowth at the time wasn't much but my hair over all my scalp was a fair bit thicker! What dosage are you using? Oral minoxidil is very much dose dependent and if you're going to be using it 10mg is what I'd start with. 5mg 2x a day or 10mg once a day is the way to go.
Shiet, i was going to order the pills, but... f*** them if they can be taken on the border in my country. Do you still use minoxidil topically? Or only orally?
I have never used minoxidil topically, I simply couldn't commit to consistent daily use forever.. So I went directly to oral minoxidil which is a lot easier to commit to!
That's such an accurate comment. I was so confident that estrogel on temples/hairline would have shown some benefit by now, but no such luck after ~10 weeks. In fact, I wonder if it's accelerating the recession.
I saw no benefit from estrogel on the hairline. I strongly believe it would only be mildly beneficial when combined with powerful anti androgens like cypro. Do yourself a favor bro and add something like cypro in for results. spironolactone is weak as f*** from my experience so don't waste your time with that.
ayy my man. real happy for you.

you're one of the few here that truly deserve nw1
Thanks bro :) I'm on my way lol, will probably take a long time but the dermmatch thickens the halfway terminal hairs up nicely.. With it on I appear as a NW1. Hope your hair is doing good too :)

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Guys I added another before pic I just found. This one is about 2 months into oral minoxidil before the super shed, as you can see no regrowth there yet. Comparing it to my current hair makes the regrowth I've got now look that bit more impressive!
Red face block is now and the wow pic about 2 months of oral minoxidil.

Something else I should add is in the wow pic I had the initial minoxidil shed, so this pic would be just before I recovered with no regrowth and is the earliest before I can find.. My hairline a few months ago was actually a bit worse than that but I didn't take pics as it was too depressing. Also you can see in the wow pic I don't have any temple hair left.. That sh*t was full ( but thin ) before finasteride lol, at least it's coming back now :)

Attachments

• IMG_20190109_141102.jpg
    IMG_20190109_141102.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 935
  • IMG_20190128_000831.jpg
    IMG_20190128_000831.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 952
Last edited:

Georgie

My Regimen
Reaction score
Once you've grown all your hair back you might be able to drop the minoxidil if you stay on cypro. The cypro should keep the hair that you have. I am on a similar regimen, you actually use twice as much cypro as i do.
Bad idea. You will never realise how much of the heavy lifting oral minoxidil does.

Georgie

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey all. You may have noticed I've been increasingly inactive recently. This is a section I've wanted to post in since I started my journey way back in November 2016. Safe to say this journey has been a rollercoaster ride of shedding, recession, sweat and tears.. but finally after more than 2 years of fighting to stop and reverse my hair loss I believe that day has come. One thing I want to make very clear which some don't seem to realise is that just because you're a non responder to finasteride doesn't mean it's game over. I'm one of those who believes finasteride actually hurt my hair rather than preserving it. After trying many different treatment combinations I finally found one that works for me! I'm currently using 12.5mg of Oral Minoxidil once at night, 1mg of Finasteride at night and 25mg of Cyproterone Acetate. Since staying consistent with these treatments after 9 months those tiny vellus hairs have grown an inch into halfway terminal hairs! My hair overall has thickened to the point I no longer need to use a thickening shampoo ( I still do lol )
During my journey I went from NW1.8ish to almost NW2.5 and back down to Norwood 2. If the other small vellus hairs thicken up I believe I will be a Norwood 1 again which I haven't been since I was 13/14!
Thanks to everyone who supported me through this journey and I wish eventual success to everyone else!
Here are current pictures of my hairline and current hairstyle. The thin hair in the pic with the red face block is REGROWTH which was completely bald before :D The pic with blue face block is with dermmatch on and as you can see i easily pass for Norwood 1! I'm too lazy to go look for my befores but they are floating about here somewhere!

EDIT: for those who want to see the earliest baseline I have its the pic with the red circle. That was taken a year into finasteride and 3 months into oral minoxidil. The hairs circled in red is the same hair that's in the picture with the red face block. After the baseline picture all that hair plus more fell out so you can really see how much I've regrown! :)

EDIT2: So I just found another pic of my hairline ( the wow pic ) I'm not sure when it was taken but it was before my absurdly long dread shed hit. I think it was probably about 2 months into oral minoxidil as no regrowth seems to be there yet. What amazes me is how much I've actually regrown.. I wish I had taken pics of my hairline just before my super shed ended because it looked f*****g awful.. Nonetheless I feel this pic really shows the difference :)
One last thing, to anyone who is shedding horribly with treatments.. Don't.Ever.Give.Up. I'm proof that even though the shedding lasted far, far too long that its possible to bounce back and get regrowth. Good luck all!
Glad to hear you’re doing better mate. All the best for the future.

bridgeburn

My Regimen
Reaction score
I saw no benefit from estrogel on the hairline. I strongly believe it would only be mildly beneficial when combined with powerful anti androgens like cypro.
according to this ; https://academic.oup.com/edrv/article/27/6/677/2355194

" Due to unwanted side effects like gynecomastia, E2 should not be used in men because very high topical doses seem to be required to obtain measurable hair growth effects "

minoxidil even is poorly absorbed topically thats why its solution is 5% for a decent amount. And the bottle last a million times longer if drunken instead. but estrogel is 0.06%

Night

Established Member
Reaction score
Andy, congrats. After all the complaining that you weren't improving it was all just you being anxious. Nice hair line, now go out there and let the world envy that hair.

countjulian

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm not sure exactly but roughly a year and a half. When I was 4 months in just before my monster shed my regrowth at the time wasn't much but my hair over all my scalp was a fair bit thicker! What dosage are you using? Oral minoxidil is very much dose dependent and if you're going to be using it 10mg is what I'd start with. 5mg 2x a day or 10mg once a day is the way to go.

I'm on 5 mg 1x a day now, do you think I should go up? I've got my skin looking good with skincare I am afraid of sides if I go up.

Georgie

My Regimen
Reaction score
I think it’s a wiser idea to start at 2.5-5mg so that if the dose over time needs to be increased, you have more room to play with.

michel sapin

My Regimen
Reaction score
Honestly brah I am amazed by those who can take oral minoxidil and not getting huge dark circle and hypertrichosis...
And taking cypro and getting just a small case of gyno . Genetic is truly different for each people.

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Andy, congrats. After all the complaining that you weren't improving it was all just you being anxious. Nice hair line, now go out there and let the world envy that hair.
The first month the shed stopped I was pretty sure I was still losing ground.. but eventually I thought maybe my hairline looks a tiny bit better and another month later I was fairly certain it was better. Now looking back at my older photos I'm shocked really.. I'm not confident enough to go outside without dermmatch yet as the regrown hairs are still thin in comparison to my terminal hairs but I'm hoping by December this year I can ditch the concealers for good :D

I'm on 5 mg 1x a day now, do you think I should go up? I've got my skin looking good with skincare I am afraid of sides if I go up.
I think you should try out 10mg. Oral minoxidil is dose dependent and I personally wouldn't use anything less. I honestly think 5mg just isn't quite enough for most people, especially if you are bigger, heavier, ect. How long have you been on 5mg? If it's been a few months and you've not seen much happening on top a dosage increase would definitely yield better results.. 2x the power lol.
Honestly brah I am amazed by those who can take oral minoxidil and not getting huge dark circle and hypertrichosis...
And taking cypro and getting just a small case of gyno . Genetic is truly different for each people.
I'll admit I'm quite lucky to have very few side effects on these drugs, none of which are affecting me mentally. You said dutasteride doesnt work and has given you gyno, but is it really as bad as you think Michel? I can notice my gyno when I look down at my chest but looking in a mirror I just look a bit overweight ( which I am, but I'm losing now ) I'm sure once I hit my weight goal the gyno will go down more. How does it look to you in the mirror and are you a normal weight? If you are sure the treatments are not working then why not try something else? I went through loads of different treatment combos before something worked for me, you can do the same!