I Am Actually Regrowing My Hair + Hairline Without Min Or finasteride (mechanical Stimulation)

HelixO

My Regimen
Reaction score
Based on everyone that I've ever seen drop minoxidil after regrowing hair on the scalp yet continue other treatments it doesn't seem like it's the case, it always ends extremely negatively for them and a lot of them report they never get back to their original density they had with regrowth although close.

For microneedling on the scalp to work, the wounds need to go deep enough to sufficiently damage the collagen(fibrosis), so that the body can replace it with healthier tissue. The scalp is a lot thicker than the facial skin, and even with Dermatology, to resurface facial scars with microneedling, you need to go DEEP. With the scalp, you need to go even deeper. Frankly speaking I genuinely don't believe many people who needle their scalps go deep enough. It sounds like you do, but I've seen people try to get away with 0.75mm dermarollers, over top of hair, and it's mind boggling to me how they think that will be effective. I'm sure shallower wounds can also stimulate growth via bloodflow, but I don't think the "true healing" occurs unless the wounds are deep enough to break up that fibrotic (excessive collagen) tissue.

It is understood how balding happens. Balding areas of the scalp have up to 4x as many collagen fibers (fibrosis), and the effect of this is the restriction of bloodflow, likewise DHT also acts as a vasoconstrictor (anti inflammatory action?) and likely causes the collagen to build up. When bloodflow becomes restricted so much, the hair follicles essentially shut down. When balding people stop using minoxidil, they really only lose their hairs they grew with it (in the regions of their scalp with lots of fibrosis), as well as the areas which would have build up fibrosis during that time period. They don't tend to lose the hair in other regions where they weren't aggressively balding.

Minoxidil doesn't stop the build up of fibrosis, but DHT-blockers do. There are a number of people on reddit /r/tressless who reported stopping Minoxidil while on finasteride, and they stated they lost all their minoxidil hair, but they kept their finasteride hair. This indicates that the hair simply falls out in the regions the scalp cannot support it.

Based on people that have grown beards on minoxidil it does seem that some people have reportedly kept their gains although the majority of people see they lose the majority of their gains.

That beard thread you're talking about, the one that was 500-700 pages or so, I had spend close to 2 weeks reading through the entire thing, prior to doing it myself. Looking at the results of literally hundreds of people. Pretty much every single complaint of beard growth loss was from people who didn't continue use for long enough, and people on the thread pointed this out. There are warnings repeatedly about this, that if people do not keep up use long enough for the hairs to reach terminal maturity, they WILL lose their gains. This is the general consensus of Minoxidils actions on the beard - it stimulates vellus/dormant hairs for long enough until they reach terminal maturity - if minoxidil is ceased prior to that, you will lose those hairs upon stopping.

It is typically recommended people go for at least 9-12 months or more, to ensure their hairs are able to reach full maturity, though some people get away with less time. As far as I remember, the one thing people who complained of losses had in common was that they'd often quit after 3-4 months or so after they see growth they are happy with, which is not generally enough time to keep gains for most people, especially in virgin beard areas (missing connector regions usually, etc)

However this whole vellus ->terminal hair thing isn't that relavant to scalp theory, because our main issue here is Fibrosis/DHT.

I think if you do take care of the scalp issues such as calcification/fibrosis it does hold some potential for more permanent gains but I think the realistic expectation for this would be to lose a good amount of your minoxidil gains and perhaps keep a few upon stopping.

I understand your concerns. I'd like to clarify that most of what I was talking about was using Minoxidil (low %) to rapidly mature your blonde vellus hairs that you have grown through needling. It looks like your progress is coming along quickly anyhow, so if you're okay with the rate you're going at, then just keep that up. I was just saying if I was in your shoes, I'd personally opt to throw in Minoxidil just for the sake of speeding up growth, while keeping up my needling/finasteride efforts.

MyThinningConfidence

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
For microneedling on the scalp to work, the wounds need to go deep enough to sufficiently damage the collagen(fibrosis), so that the body can replace it with healthier tissue. The scalp is a lot thicker than the facial skin, and even with Dermatology, to resurface facial scars with microneedling, you need to go DEEP. With the scalp, you need to go even deeper. Frankly speaking I genuinely don't believe many people who needle their scalps go deep enough. It sounds like you do, but I've seen people try to get away with 0.75mm dermarollers, over top of hair, and it's mind boggling to me how they think that will be effective. I'm sure shallower wounds can also stimulate growth via bloodflow, but I don't think the "true healing" occurs unless the wounds are deep enough to break up that fibrotic (excessive collagen) tissue.

It is understood how balding happens. Balding areas of the scalp have up to 4x as many collagen fibers (fibrosis), and the effect of this is the restriction of bloodflow, likewise DHT also acts as a vasoconstrictor (anti inflammatory action?) and likely causes the collagen to build up. When bloodflow becomes restricted so much, the hair follicles essentially shut down. When balding people stop using minoxidil, they really only lose their hairs they grew with it (in the regions of their scalp with lots of fibrosis), as well as the areas which would have build up fibrosis during that time period. They don't tend to lose the hair in other regions where they weren't aggressively balding.

Minoxidil doesn't stop the build up of fibrosis, but DHT-blockers do. There are a number of people on reddit /r/tressless who reported stopping Minoxidil while on finasteride, and they stated they lost all their minoxidil hair, but they kept their finasteride hair. This indicates that the hair simply falls out in the regions the scalp cannot support it.

That beard thread you're talking about, the one that was 500-700 pages or so, I had spend close to 2 weeks reading through the entire thing, prior to doing it myself. Looking at the results of literally hundreds of people. Pretty much every single complaint of beard growth loss was from people who didn't continue use for long enough, and people on the thread pointed this out. There are warnings repeatedly about this, that if people do not keep up use long enough for the hairs to reach terminal maturity, they WILL lose their gains. This is the general consensus of Minoxidils actions on the beard - it stimulates vellus/dormant hairs for long enough until they reach terminal maturity - if minoxidil is ceased prior to that, you will lose those hairs upon stopping.

It is typically recommended people go for at least 9-12 months or more, to ensure their hairs are able to reach full maturity, though some people get away with less time. As far as I remember, the one thing people who complained of losses had in common was that they'd often quit after 3-4 months or so after they see growth they are happy with, which is not generally enough time to keep gains for most people, especially in virgin beard areas (missing connector regions usually, etc)

However this whole vellus ->terminal hair thing isn't that relavant to scalp theory, because our main issue here is Fibrosis/DHT.

I understand your concerns. I'd like to clarify that most of what I was talking about was using Minoxidil (low %) to rapidly mature your blonde vellus hairs that you have grown through needling. It looks like your progress is coming along quickly anyhow, so if you're okay with the rate you're going at, then just keep that up. I was just saying if I was in your shoes, I'd personally opt to throw in Minoxidil just for the sake of speeding up growth, while keeping up my needling/finasteride efforts.
I have definitely been trying to needle deeper than most people here since I have noticed the deeper and more intensive sessions yielded superior results for me personally. It's hard to say what depth I've actually needled to because I doubt most of the tools I'm using penetrate full depth. I've been using the dermapen at 2.5mm but I highly doubt it's actually penetrating that deep considering it was even struggling to needle paper consistently. I think once the Derminator 2 arrives which will be in late March I'll actually be able to needle at a consistent 2.5mm. I'm even under the assumption that 3mm+ may actually be optimal if used correctly. But I'm at least expecting an increase in regrowth when the Derminator actually arrives.

That is an interesting thought with low % minoxidil though, it could be possible it's just enough to stimulate the follicle without it becoming entirely dependent on it. Looking back to min for beard growth it was reportedly only kept in those who were going to grow a beard anyways and simply sped things along. I'm definitely regrowing my temples currently albeit slowly although it could be possible that short usage of low percentage minoxidil could speed things up along providing my scalp conditions are actually suitable. I know Rosemary oil was found to be roughly on par with 2% minoxidil so that's one natural alternative but it doesn't have a lot of studies and I don't see a good reason to use it over min in the case that I do.

It does seem reasonable and it's something to consider, I think before adding any topical I should wait to test the Derminator 2 out. I just wish it didn't ship from literally the opposite side of the world.

I had actually completely forgotten one person when I said I hadn't seen anyone retain their gains upon stopping minoxidil since there is one guy in particular and I'm unsure if you know who he is but it's 2young2retire. He went pretty extreme with his microneedling but his results are beyond amazing. There is a bit of blood so be warned but it's worse than it looks since it's mixed with betadine which is an antiseptic. https://imgur.com/a/g7QTqds

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190121-121308_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190121-121308_Gallery.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 576
  • Screenshot_20190121-121336_Gallery (2).jpg
    Screenshot_20190121-121336_Gallery (2).jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 550

Bill_Russo

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Looking back to min for beard growth it was reportedly only kept in those who were going to grow a beard anyways and simply sped things I had actually completely forgotten one person when I said I hadn't seen anyone retain their gains upon stopping minoxidil since there is one guy in particular and I'm unsure if you know who he is but it's 2young2retire. He went pretty extreme with his microneedling but his results are beyond amazing. There is a bit of blood so be warned but it's worse than it looks since it's mixed with betadine which is an antiseptic. https://imgur.com/a/g7QTqds
While it's not documented, there's also Kitedude, who used Minoxidil for 6 months and then dropped it without losing gains. There were pictures but he took them down. I saw them and his hair looks way better now than it did 12 years ago. He started to notice thinning on his hairline after he switched to light rolling.
His story:
Kitedude said:
I started to notice thinner temples when i was 25 after that i did Nothing until i was 27 i got comments that i had a bald spot on my crown, the whirl was thinning and i started to freak a bit. Tried stupid things like balayam and did scalp excersizes From Tom haggerty. I still do the scalp excersizes because i learned to control the muscles but i dont do it every day.
When i was 28 i bought 3 strips of finasteride and stopped because i didnt notice anything.
By the time i was 30-31 i read alot on the dermoroller/wounding forum and bought minoxidil and a 1.5 dermaroller and i have to honestly say that i regrew alot of hair on the temples, but got lazy after 6 months and stopped minoxidil from kirkland. I only wounded my temples where i wanted regrowt and did lighter Rolling on the top and crown. After 2 years when i was 33 i only did some light Rolling once a month.
Last year i noticed that my temples where getting thinner again and started to do somebody’s regime but it didnt do a thing. 2months ago i started wounding again and i have tons of small hairs in the temples, but they aren’t getting long... but 2 months is short
i’m 37 now and the top and crown is very full and i dont use any medication.

So to make things clear...
in my twenties people told me i was thinning and now when i’m 37 nobody says a thing! Because i have more hair then when i was 28.
I find it interesting.
Also, I think it might be true that deeper = better. The new Follica patent shows a device with a max depth of 5 mm. Goddamn.

MyThinningConfidence

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
While it's not documented, there's also Kitedude, who used Minoxidil for 6 months and then dropped it without losing gains. There were pictures but he took them down. I saw them and his hair looks way better now than it did 12 years ago. He started to notice thinning on his hairline after he switched to light rolling.
His story:

I find it interesting.
Also, I think it might be true that deeper = better. The new Follica patent shows a device with a max depth of 5 mm. Goddamn.
That's quite interesting, I imagine the only reason he saw his temples thinning again was because he's not on finasteride. I'm under the assumption if you regrow with microneedling you should be able to maintain the majority of your regrowth even if you stop microneedling.

I'd be highly interested in seeing how that device goes though. There are actually tons of wounding studies in 2018 that I've found but they're all locked behind a paywall so I can't view them.

langthaar31

My Regimen
Reaction score
That's quite interesting, I imagine the only reason he saw his temples thinning again was because he's not on finasteride. I'm under the assumption if you regrow with microneedling you should be able to maintain the majority of your regrowth even if you stop microneedling.

I'd be highly interested in seeing how that device goes though. There are actually tons of wounding studies in 2018 that I've found but they're all locked behind a paywall so I can't view them.
Hi!
Could you put up the link to the studies you are reffering to? I could be able to unlock them using the school library, i have done this a lot when i have found studies that are locked.

Pixie

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yo, @MyThinningConfidence

I've been making sure to derma roll deep these days, and NOW I felt/heard that "crackling" break-up of tissue for sure.

I wasn't even sure I was actually hearing it before with massages, but with rolling the sound/feeling was very similar but MUCH more intense. Such a gross feeling!

I could hair less

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

hey what did you use for Zinc Pyrithione ??

J0ker

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
DRS 2mm Derma stamp 140 needle Added 1st of November (it was garbage)

I'm sorta sad you called that derma stamp garbage. I've used it for almost 3 months and I don't see anything wrong with it. What didn't you like about it? I've never used a roller/pen but maybe I should try just to compare.

MyThinningConfidence

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi!
Could you put up the link to the studies you are reffering to? I could be able to unlock them using the school library, i have done this a lot when i have found studies that are locked.
I'd need to find them again, I remember I had 7 that could have been of particular interest but I couldn't access any of them.

Here is 2 though from different sources, if you can access them I'll see if I can find the rest.
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0965206X17301328?via=ihub

the second one isn't wounding in particular but it deals with chronic tension
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/dth.12785

MyThinningConfidence

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm sorta sad you called that derma stamp garbage. I've used it for almost 3 months and I don't see anything wrong with it. What didn't you like about it? I've never used a roller/pen but maybe I should try just to compare.
There were too many needles to correctly penetrate full depth, it was also more painful for this reason although I do find stamping to be more bearable in ways. To actually get it to penetrate deeper you need to stamp down quite hard on the head, it's likely not a massive issue but it could cause some light trauma to the head. I don't think it's particularly good to be hitting your head with a stick of needles forcefully. If you slowly push down it will just make it more painful and harder to penetrate and the overall shape of your head makes it even more difficult since the stamp is laid out like a flat square and your head is curved. The process is also slower than a roller. I used to recommend the stamp over the roller due to the potential for micro tearing but now after using all 3, stamp, roller, pen. I don't think micro tearing is a massive issue for most people, especially on the scalp and I'd probably have to recommend getting a roller over a stamp.

MyThinningConfidence

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
27th of Jan, hairline is still coming along. I recently found this study though and I found something interesting, in the wounding study they are actually using retinoic acid in one of the groups which is actually bit of a secret ingredient I've been using if you read the my posts a couple pages back. I don't apply it every day but it is something that I have been occasionally applying to my temples since late December, I actually did find a bunch of studies on it that showed promising potential although I'd have to rejoin the group I posted them in to find the links. This study won't be completed until 2025 but I find it interesting they are using retinoic acid, it could have some synergistic effects with wounding which could be giving me a slight boost to my regrowth. I know back in the day retinol was used in conjunction with minoxidil to increase the effectiveness.

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT03491267

Attachments

• 20190127_063322.jpg
    20190127_063322.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 614

J0ker

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
There were too many needles to correctly penetrate full depth, it was also more painful for this reason although I do find stamping to be more bearable in ways. To actually get it to penetrate deeper you need to stamp down quite hard on the head, it's likely not a massive issue but it could cause some light trauma to the head. I don't think it's particularly good to be hitting your head with a stick of needles forcefully. If you slowly push down it will just make it more painful and harder to penetrate and the overall shape of your head makes it even more difficult since the stamp is laid out like a flat square and your head is curved. The process is also slower than a roller. I used to recommend the stamp over the roller due to the potential for micro tearing but now after using all 3, stamp, roller, pen. I don't think micro tearing is a massive issue for most people, especially on the scalp and I'd probably have to recommend getting a roller over a stamp.
Interesting. Maybe it is a bit difficult to go full depth but I've imagined that's the case with everything 1.5mm+. Never thought about the fact that this stamp would hurt more than others, but it does make sense given that there's 140 needles going in at once on a small area. I see it as an advantage and I think I get good and even coverage. A session takes me 30+ minutes. I don't "hit" it on the head either, lol, not even close, just press it down firmly. It does hurt and I get blood dots.

Thanks though I think I'll buy a roller just to try and a pen eventually.

Also we have really similar hair/hands lol. I l thought for a second that picture you posted was mine. Yeah the background sorta looks the same too. Weird.

MyThinningConfidence

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Derminator 2 just arrived, super excited to start using it. It didn't even take 2 months like they said either, order was placed on the 15th and payment cleared on the 19th so it only took 11 days to ship from EU to Australia.The actual device is actually much larger in person and seems very well built and quality. They actually provide you with ear plugs to protect your ears against the noise so that's sort of terrifying, I don't know how I'm going to use it in the bathroom without anyone knowing.

MyThinningConfidence

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Unfortunately it seems that my device is not functioning correctly. When the Derminator 2 first arrived I noticed the magnet was actually out of the device, I thought this was normal until I read the manual and figured it was no big deal and it was likely near a large steel object during shipping so I just put the magnet back in. When I actually tried to needle though I noticed that the needles weren't coming very far out of the cartridge. When I tried needling my scalp there was very little pain and blood despite stepping the depth up to 2.5mm. I've attached a picture of the amount of blood after a few passes using 2.5mm, I don't typically bleed a lot but that amount of blood and pain seems far too low. The second issue is after I microneedle the device seems to stop and comes up with the error message "magnet stuck or missing". This seems to happen more quickly when the depth is set deeper but happens regardless. I've tried taking the magnet out and reinserting it 4 times now but with no result. I'm really hoping this issue can be fixed easily at home as I don't want to send it back and wait as I'm wanting results now.

Attachments

• 20190130_124400.jpg
    20190130_124400.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 352
  • 20190130_140540.jpg
    20190130_140540.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 347

Tots7

My Regimen
Reaction score
Was it very loud when you used it compared to the other dermapen? Hopefully they’ll be able to resolve it quickly since they also sent it descently fast.

MyThinningConfidence

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Was it very loud when you used it compared to the other dermapen? Hopefully they’ll be able to resolve it quickly since they also sent it descently fast.
The Dermapen is about as loud as a vibrating toothbrush, the Derminator sounds like a gattling gun at full speed. Definitely a lot more power and I'm impressed in that aspect. Hoping I can actually get it all up and running correctly. The Dr.Pen I had was actually struggling to consistently needle a piece of paper even so this should be a big step up.

MyThinningConfidence

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Customer service was extremely speedy and it appears the magnet has become demagnetized. This was some of their response -
"It looks like the magnet has been partially demagnetized by something such as the coil of a powerful metal detector, likely at Customs.

So we should first send you some replacement magnets and if that does not resolve the issue, we'll send you a brand new machine. But we're looking into that for the future."

I'm a little disappointed I can't use the Derminator yet but to be fair it wasn't their fault, on the bright side postage was far sooner than anticipated and customer service has been 10/10 so far. This machine seems really impressive and I can't wait for the new magnet to arrive.

Andy Liu

My Regimen
Reaction score
It is really hard to regrowth hair, why not try LED laser for hair growing? Now laser technology is reliable for hair regrowth or removing unwanted hair.

MyThinningConfidence

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Perhaps I'm just not paying as much attention but hairline regrowth seems to be better than expected given the timeframe, perhaps finasteride is actually finally taking an effect for regrowth or the retinol is helping stimulate hair follicles. I'm hoping this speed continues. I also appear to be going through some sort of shed, I seem to be losing a lot of longer hairs and my hair looks a little thinner lately as I can see some parts of my scalp when greasy at times. It's not that bad but I personally notice it, regrowth seems to be unaffected though. What's interesting is that it's actually thinned a bit on my sides below the crown, I don't think I've had thin hair there before.

Attachments

• 20190124_144658.jpg
    20190124_144658.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 943
  • 20190202_103056.jpg
    20190202_103056.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 920
  • 20190203_164330.jpg
    20190203_164330.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 936