Going Bald In Less Than A Year, Need Advice

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Okay just read this post, this is the clincher.

The reason your Telogen Effluvium began, pushing yourself like this at 40 has it's consequences, this is what is likely to have started your Telogen Effluvium, and the meds put gasoline on the fire. A myriad of events that have lead to your current predicament.
I do believe his Hashimoto's thyroiditis needs to be factored into your equation. My hair started thinning more when I got diagnosed with the same condition and went on synthroid. Unlike him, I had genetic testing done and it shows I do carry the balding gene( father is a NW7 and started to lose his hair at 17). Otherwise I would have ditched the finasteride. I also tested that I would respond poor to finasteride too but I figured that might not be true so I stayed on it. Maybe it was true because I still continued to lose my density but over a 14 year span.

I actually agree with you about this guy's case. I think he should drop all his treatments(finasteride and minoxidil) and see what happens. Synthroid has been know to cause hair loss too. Maybe it caused some of mine.

djhype

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I do believe his Hashimoto's thyroiditis needs to be factored into your equation. My hair started thinning more when I got diagnosed with the same condition and went on synthroid. Unlike him, I had genetic testing done and it shows I do carry the balding gene( father is a NW7 and started to lose his hair at 17). Otherwise I would have ditched the finasteride. I also tested that I would respond poor to finasteride too but I figured that might not be true so I stayed on it. Maybe it was true because I still continued to lose my density but over a 14 year span.

I actually agree with you about this guy's case. I think he should drop all his treatments(finasteride and minoxidil) and see what happens. Synthroid has been know to cause hair loss too. Maybe it caused some of mine.
Good post. I never read about the thyroiditis. Another factor of the myriad of events that have lead to this.

Listen to Dr. House folks. I can spot someone with a mind for being well read on certain medical issues a mile a way. My steroid use has taught me quite a bit myself through years of experience and digging through information.

Last edited:

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks all really appreciate the thoughtful feedback and advice. I hope it can help other facing some rather abrupt changes to their hair after 40.

I can see definite miniaturization at the hairline, and a slight difference in density in the horseshoe versus the back. Because of that miniaturization I’ve been hesitant to stop medication though it has not made any difference in the shedding or net loss of density. Could hair quality and miniaturization have additional causes to the DHT? My lab DHT is low, below range. T is above.

baba_yaga

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If you really have continued hair loss even though DHT is low, lowering/blocking T will be a great option to stop hair loss, but its not for everyone.

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
Not really an option. I didn’t just start working out out of the blue, played D1 college football, lifted, ran into my 40s. The thyroid issue/medication was the first major medication change and the onset of this chases by about 5 months. I really don’t think I ever needed the medication, now two years later I’ve gone from taking 25mg to 125mg daily to stay in range. Temples are going quick in the last few months.

I’d try just about anything topical that wouldn’t compromise overall well being.

Intrigued by CB and stem though it reads like I’m a bad candidate.

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
This shedding is ridiculous. I’m looking at 50 hairs if I even gently brush my hair.

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
Sorry man. Definitely can feel your pain. I’m dialing back to half a pill oral minoxidil for a few months to try and ween off. My hair, while still covering matters, just is not my hair anymore. My girlfriend freaked out she. I asked her to lightly run her hand over the top and her hand cane out covered in hair.

Tryya new doctor in NYC next month. I keep the topical Finasteride as I am not getting sides and I image it might help a little if DHT is the problem. Still think thyroid is messing with me. Before the my hair was next level thick at 40.

Wish I could get a reliable CB option.

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes it is relentless. All different lengths. Over hair quality is horrible. I’ve been using more topical Finasteride (2x) to try and save something but I feel awful when I use it twice a day. Even considering going from .5 to 2.5.

This is going to destroy my career. The way this is going I can’t even imagine how a transplant could work. Its the whole horseshoe dying at once diffuse.

Can’t stress how insanely thick my hair was twoish years ago when this started.

Trying another doctor. Might try the Regenera. What is your next move? Wish CB was posssible. I’d spend for it if I could get a reliable source.

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
I thought I was but now that it has progressed a NW7 pattern is clear.

Not sure how it changed so fast but seems like DHT fully fried my hair. There might also be an Iron and Thyroid issue doing harm. I am off of the Telogen Effluvium believer side of things. I know that happened to jump start this but now it’s male pattern baldness and I’m desperate to slow things down. Might already be too late.

I can barely hide the temples and vertex thinning. Lots of new hair but weak and thin and falling out at the same rate as the longer ones.

This temple was full two weeks ago. It is thinning so damn fast and feels like it’s not real hair. I mean super dense course black hair a year ago to this mess.

Attachments

• 0D1C95B2-F399-4B93-A8E5-E7F66C32B754.jpeg
    0D1C95B2-F399-4B93-A8E5-E7F66C32B754.jpeg
    159.7 KB · Views: 393
Last edited:

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
Took this photo and was hoping to get a reaction. I know there is male pattern baldness do miniaturization at the hair line but the thinning is universal.

With male pattern baldness shouldn’t the sides be more dense than the top and back? I notice a slight difference.

Though this showed how it’s bad even behind my ears. My hair went from black to brown in a year.

Attachments

• 211D1B02-5C7A-4742-B4BA-09681DF024E2.jpeg
    211D1B02-5C7A-4742-B4BA-09681DF024E2.jpeg
    263 KB · Views: 460
  • B4873628-B01B-404B-B07B-3BD515931190.jpeg
    B4873628-B01B-404B-B07B-3BD515931190.jpeg
    140.1 KB · Views: 474

Mapleman

Established Member
Reaction score
Took this photo and was hoping to get a reaction. I know there is male pattern baldness do miniaturization at the hair line but the thinning is universal.

With male pattern baldness shouldn’t the sides be more dense than the top and back? I notice a slight difference.

Though this showed how it’s bad even behind my ears. My hair went from black to brown in a year.

I would kill for that hair, im 24..

Mushu

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Unfortunately lighter hair is a sign of miniaturization and is easily seen compared to your baseline photos before you shed. Personally I'd drop minoxidil and try to maintain, you don't have aggressive loss and it'll just cause the periodic sheds. But at this point, it's tough to say, you're not a great responder to Finasteride. There's still so much we don't know, good luck and hope for the best for you. Your hair still looks good on the bright side after 1 year of heavy shedding it seems.

I forget, what's your family history again for hairloss?

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks. Father was pretty bald at 30. Paternal Grandfather has a full head barely grey at 94. I just need to figure out a way to stop the shed/maintain. The Topical Finasteride may or may not be doing anything, might up the %. Not sure what to do about the Minoxidil, could that be a shed cause?

inmyhead

Reaction score
I find this kinda interesting. Guy never had hairloss but suddenly it starts and develops quite fast

JHCL1990

Established Member
Reaction score

Dude you have a great head of hair for like 40. I see no hairloss. Your hair will naturally get more whispy as you get older. You have no recession.

ScaredOfBalding

My Regimen
Reaction score
U don't even have male pattern baldness u deluded BDD ridden imbecile.
I see no signs of miniaturization ur just combing ur hair and putting a flash on it and then u can see a little bit of scalp.
Absolutely pathetic, claiming u were going bald in year, we are 2 years further and u still ahve zero signs of hairloss.
Piss off will you you retard.

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback @ScaredOfBalding

I’m still shedding about 350 a day, was able to start a count post shower and during any brushing, most hairs are weaker and shorter than two-three months ago. Over density rapidly declining from incredible baseline.

I’m convinced three things are at play:

1. normal - general age related thinning, over all loss of density, change in hair quality.

2. abnormal - heavy and constant universal shedding. If I can get a handle on this I’ll deal with rest and get off of this message board. No treatment can keep up with this amount shedding.

3. male pattern baldness - diffuse miniaturization in horseshoe, slight temple recession, overall loss of density. considerable thinning in crown, vertex, and temples. Crown will soon show a bald ‘spot’ length is hiding the lost density.

Any thoughts on the thinning in these photos, one is crown one is male and safe zone. This is where I get confused as it looks very similar. Lesser but still better density in safe zone.

please keep in mind that 1 year ago this was still all very healthy and very dense in comparison. Just trying to slow this down to something manageable, grateful for the situation I’m in but still worth fighting.

Thanks.

Attachments

• 62148E38-4152-43A7-954C-43AF98D1F874.jpeg
    62148E38-4152-43A7-954C-43AF98D1F874.jpeg
    128.3 KB · Views: 293
  • A98EE3FE-2A5C-402C-B057-15E775E3A025.jpeg
    A98EE3FE-2A5C-402C-B057-15E775E3A025.jpeg
    182.2 KB · Views: 310
  • 9DA298CF-DAA7-4AA4-A9E4-5C545D341CD1.jpeg
    9DA298CF-DAA7-4AA4-A9E4-5C545D341CD1.jpeg
    136.8 KB · Views: 332

Me Vs DiffuseThinning

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback @ScaredOfBalding

I’m still shedding about 350 a day, was able to start a count post shower and during any brushing, most hairs are weaker and shorter than two-three months ago. Over density rapidly declining from incredible baseline.

I’m convinced three things are at play:

1. normal - general age related thinning, over all loss of density, change in hair quality.

2. abnormal - heavy and constant universal shedding. If I can get a handle on this I’ll deal with rest and get off of this message board. No treatment can keep up with this amount shedding.

3. male pattern baldness - diffuse miniaturization in horseshoe, slight temple recession, overall loss of density. considerable thinning in crown, vertex, and temples. Crown will soon show a bald ‘spot’ length is hiding the lost density.

Any thoughts on the thinning in these photos, one is crown one is male and safe zone. This is where I get confused as it looks very similar. Lesser but still better density in safe zone.

please keep in mind that 1 year ago this was still all very healthy and very dense in comparison. Just trying to slow this down to something manageable, grateful for the situation I’m in but still worth fighting.

Thanks.
Your hair is perfect even when wet. Better than most people's wet hair. You have BDD.

Mitko1

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I think that he is a troll and he's fooling us. He takes photos of his hair only when it's wet and messy in order to look like it's thinning. He refuses to take any advice. I told him 1000 times to have his vitamins levels tested, because he might be deficient. Chronic telogen effluvium is related to nutritional deficiencies. He doesn't do any action and repeats the same thing over again.