Going Bald In Less Than A Year, Need Advice

WeStayCooling

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Not to sound insensitive to your situation but most people on this forum are not going to sympathize with you when you really have mild hair loss that started at 40. I told you before, it happened to me too. Same scenario. Except I was smart enough to never post a single photo of my situation as I knew it was minor. I chose not to only because it was like throwing salt on an open wound for the young guys who are truly losing hair. I knew I was another BDD case and I always disclosed that when I posted. You might get some sympathy if you would finally admit your obsession with minor hair loss borders on OCD or more specifically BDD. Don't take offense to that as most people see what I see and we have alot of BDD cases on this forum. More than we used to many years ago.

You and I have the same medical diagnosis with our thyroid. Even on the medications I lost density. And most of my density was lost after I started taking finasteride. Maybe there may be a slight possibility that disrupting your body with this drug could actually trigger your balding gene to express itself early or faster. Who knows for sure? I have accepted that these meds will not cure a condition you are genetically programmed to express.

You have the balding gene inherited from your dad. It will express itself eventually. Lucky for you it is just happening now. You are no longer the unicorn you thought you would be. Trust me, I wanted to be one too. Sadly, didn't happen. You made it to 40 with great density. You had a good run. I had a good run. But our genetics are now expressing what has to happen and taking hair loss medications is no guarantee that you can turn off the balding gene.

Doctors don't really like to focus on minor cases like ours. They will tell you it's normal for guys to lose density in their 40's. So don't waste your time hopping to different doctors. Two options: Option one is to quit all your hair loss medications and see if the shed and loss of density slows down and eventually normalizes to the point of when you never used them. Option two: Continue with your hair loss medications and accept the fact that you might slow down your gene expression better than if you took nothing. I chose option 2. If a better option comes my way, I will look into it.

I know you are frustrated but it will not change your final Norwood destination. You won't get answers because no doctor can predict your future final Norwood with exact accuracy. Too many variables in life that could alter your final situation. My advice is to stop posting photos that show barely any hair loss and just hope you can maintain as much hair as you can until better treatments are available. Time to let go of those days of having teenage hair and accept your above average middle age hair. If I can do it, so can you.
imo this should be the last post allowed in this crazy, deranged thread

OP, you're going to do whatever it is you're going to do, we all know that. But at this point it's clear this sh*t has run its course and nobody in here A) has any further input to offer on your situation and B) Gives enough of a sh*t to continue inputting on your minor balding at the age of 40+

If the shedding is bothering you that much, shave your head and move the f*** on, please.

Ezekiel2019

My Regimen
Reaction score
You have diffuse thinning without a doubt, but it's not as bad as you think. Man I had way way way worse hair condition than you at 19 years old...

Seriously, You enjoyed your perfect hair during your youth, you should relativize knowing that some poor kids become totally bald in their twenties..

I think you should increase your oral minoxidil dose to 5mg or 10mg if you support the sides and if you don't care much about collagen and skin quality. Oral minoxidil is probably the most potent hair loss treatment at high dosage but it's not easy to handle the sides

Also you should go asap on zix and dermaroller 2mm 1x/week

Last edited:

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
@Ezekiel2019 thanks for the advice. Definitely grateful for where I’m at just still trying to fight. I can’t even image what this like for the young guys.

is it safe to derma roll as a diffuser? I bought one but read it can do more damage than good for diffuse? Stamp or derminator better?

I’ll look into Zix had new labs low zinc and ferritin at 28 despite crazy dose supplements.

El_Rizado

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've read through this whole post and made an account just to reply. I can definitely sympathise with what you're going through and the way that you feel about what is going on. Even though people are saying, "Dude you've still got so much hair what are you worrying about" etc. I think at the end of the day, the way it impacts you, irrespective of the level of baldness/hair loss one has, it is still the same (it's kinda like saying why do people in first world countries have stress and anxiety when there are impoverished people with famine and war in many other parts of the world. To the human brain, its personal problems are no less significant than its neighbours'. Anyway I digress...)

I've had a similar sort of hairloss happen to me this year. I'm 30 next month, I have always had very thick dark curly hair that grows quickly (the type everyone wants to touch and that all the grandmas love to swoon over) but this year, starting in February/March I had sudden significant shedding that hasn't slowed down yet.

It coincided with taking on a new promotion at work this year which has been extremely and unrelentingly stressful, mixed in with some relationship dramas in my personal life. I initially went to the doctor about it, but he dismissed it as heightened anxiety caused by stress that was making me take more notice and thinking I was losing more hair. What a d***head. I know if I am losing more hair or not, and having handfuls of hair come out in the shower all of a sudden is not normal. Especially when you've never had any other sign of male pattern baldness before.

I'm still shedding like crazy; on the floor, in the bathroom, in my car, on my shirts, even in my f***ing cereal in the mornings. My hair is long, probably at least 10 inches, and has diffused thinning throughout. It's the most noticeable around my crown, like you, but I think this is because when I style my hair, this is the area that receives the most rubbing. If I run my fingers through the back of my hair and around the nape of my neck I can pull off 10 or so hairs at times just out of one curl.

Each of my curls on my head is significantly thinner and is lighter and whispier too. Considering how thick and healthy my hair was 12 months ago, the sudden change has me worried. I always lost a few strands of hair styling my hair (being curly the hair catches and doesn't fall easily) but I would only ever lose 10 or so hairs while washing and shampooing once a week. Now it would be closer to 100/day in the shower alone and this has gone on now for about 9 months). Like your hairloss, it just happened out of the blue.

In my case I'm hoping it's actually Telogen Effluvium caused by mental stress. I was also working out quite hard (gained approximately 5kg in roughly 6 months) to help deal with the mental stress but I'm sure I probably overloaded my nervous system with the physical stress of lifting weights. However AA runs on my dad's side and he was basically bald on top and through the front by his early 20s (along with my uncle and cousin). Up to now I thought I'd dodged a bullet with my hair (which is similar to my mum's side) but I'm really not sure.

I'm investigating my thyroid with a new doctor (I changed doctors after he told me it was anxiety making me notice my hair loss) as I had TSH levels of 0.6 which is bordering on hyperthyroidism. I also have other symptoms plus a family history of thyroid issues. After retesting a couple of months later the TSH levels had levelled back out to 1.4, but in both blood tests my thyroid antibodies were approximately 5 times higher than the prescribed upper limit. They were slightly lower in the second test, but still very high. I am due to have another blood test in a week as a three month follow up. If the antibodies remain high, then I'm not sure what the next step will be (thyroid-blocking medication of some sort I suppose).

I had also seen a naturopath during the year too as I was looking for answers (my hairloss/shedding was my number one concern, although frustratingly, everyone else seemed less concerned than me). Both my new doctor and the naturopath explained to me the impact that stress has on the thyroid as well as the adrenals and sex hormones (I had abnormal readings on a male sex hormone saliva test I did as well, which the attributed to my adrenal glands being in overdrive from stress).

It was getting me quite down and I was starting to fixate on my shedding and hairloss a bit. I'm quite sure it's not noticeable to most people, but I can really notice the difference in the thickness and density, and especially when my hair is wet and hanging down in my face when showering. The actual strands of curls are about as half as thick as they normally are.

I haven't started any medication yet as I'm still investigating thyroid with my doctor, and once this year is over, I am returning to my old position at work as I do not want, nor need, the chronic stress created by my current position in my life (it's had other health impacts such as giving me high blood pressure, which I'm now medicated for - I should add that the shedding occured before taking the medication as I know hypertension medication can cause shedding. I'm also off the meds for the moment and the shedding is continuing).

Anyway keep updating with your progress as it's good to hear from other guys going through a similar thing, but who don't have the typical male pattern baldness with the receeding hairline. I was looking at some photos of me from the last couple of years and my hairline is basically unchanged. There's some slight thinning now but that would be reflective of what's going on with the rest of my hair at the moment.

It can be pretty demoralising when you can't work out what's going on with your own body, especially when these things happen all of a sudden.

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
Any one have a real answer in whether or not Propecia can do harm? I added oral Propecia to my regimen despite concerns about two months ago. Managing sides but the ache isn’t going away.

My she is actually getting worse and the shed hairs are all around 4 inches. The hair that’s falling out looks healthy no white bulbs. Hairline and vertex are taking a beating.

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
It’s f*****g over. 3 weeks adding Propecia to oral minoxidil (26 months) and topical 1% Finasteride (18 months) and I am thinning and receding like never before, all lengths, tapered ends...

@Calikid congrats on your progress, you have much much better density than me at this point and it seems like you had some Finasteride results in 4 months?

Attachments

• 0C54B20C-472C-4A21-8D0A-80B764F1EF89.jpeg
    0C54B20C-472C-4A21-8D0A-80B764F1EF89.jpeg
    92.1 KB · Views: 420

WeStayCooling

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
give it up man

you're in your 40's just accept this sh*t
also not sure why you expect finasteride to work when you've already established that dutasteride didn't work for you?

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
I know man I wish I could get there. But I am healthy look like I’m 30 and it’s drastic change from thick long black hair a year? Two years ago. This speed is just crazy. I don’t think anyone can argue from the photos that it has gotten a lot worse.

Never tried Duta, did a full year on topical Finasteride, lost ground. Added Propecia and sh*t has gotten much much worse. Seems like an entire growth cycle is falling out hairs a mostly in the 3 inch range taper ends... sh*t is everywhere and I need to know if I’m making things worse. 30 minutes at my desk.

*I realize I’m lucky and feel for the young guys.

Attachments

• 7E9ADB87-175E-4945-9033-5CE9E2BE099F.jpeg
    7E9ADB87-175E-4945-9033-5CE9E2BE099F.jpeg
    60.1 KB · Views: 329

WeStayCooling

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I know man I wish I could get there. But I am healthy look like I’m 30 and it’s drastic change from thick long black hair a year? Two years ago. This speed is just crazy. I don’t think anyone can argue from the photos that it has gotten a lot worse.

Never tried Duta, did a full year on topical Finasteride, lost ground. Added Propecia and sh*t has gotten much much worse. Seems like an entire growth cycle is falling out hairs a mostly in the 3 inch range taper ends... sh*t is everywhere and I need to know if I’m making things worse. 30 minutes at my desk.

*I realize I’m lucky and feel for the young guys.
you keep saying it's a drastic change but i don't agree with that

from everything I have seen it's pretty consistent with the time frame for a lot of diffuse thinners

it just hit you in your 40's instead of your 20's or 30's

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
Is it normal to go from crazy density thick hair to whispy thin mess in two years? I mean that’s with pretty significant treatment oral minoxidil and topical Finasteride 2, 1 year. Do non-Finasteride responder usually get worse on Dutasteride? I’m fight through sides too so damn.

I mean I would resign myself to an FUE but donor are yams sides are also thinning.

Thanks for the reply though appreciate it. I know every is tried of me and I should be dealing with it better. Just crazy to me to not be able to slow this down when so many people get results from Finasteride

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
Maybe last month. I’m gutted now. I wonder if it was the switch to the lipsomal Finasteride from a solution? I also added the pill. I was freaking out before this is almost a joke.

these are 100% dry and the thinning is equal just about everywhere

Attachments

• A2BEE373-B880-4BFA-B147-C87C932C36F7.jpeg
    A2BEE373-B880-4BFA-B147-C87C932C36F7.jpeg
    111 KB · Views: 247
  • 8FAA468A-C4A1-4DE7-B73E-4828C6691426.jpeg
    8FAA468A-C4A1-4DE7-B73E-4828C6691426.jpeg
    138.1 KB · Views: 254

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
April 16 versus today

Attachments

• DCEB794D-2F8F-485B-B812-B2164E0B198E.jpeg
    DCEB794D-2F8F-485B-B812-B2164E0B198E.jpeg
    259.6 KB · Views: 361
  • 7C23811B-2B69-4541-9A2D-790DCC01F36E.jpeg
    7C23811B-2B69-4541-9A2D-790DCC01F36E.jpeg
    52.4 KB · Views: 340

OnThePill

My Regimen
Reaction score
I just started my journey to recovery ~4 years late. I'm going into my 4th week on finasteride 1mg a day.

I was ignorant on hair loss and was somewhat in denial until I couldn't deny it any longer. At first I noticed recession at the temples -- I let that hair disappear. Around that time the hair on top was also miniaturizing, which I kind of noticed but was not bothered by at the time because I had thick hair. Then the next year I noticed a lot of hair falling out of my head quicker, this was not normal for me. I guess I went into denial at that point and grew my hair out to hide the temples. The temples were always a point of my hair line I didn't like since I was at least in my early twenties, probably in my teens too if I think back. Recently I looked at my hair after a shower, I was disgusted with the thinness and curly natural of my once thick straight hair. I freaked out and shaved my head like I used to do before the recession at the temples. I was now seeing everything for what it became and I thought I looked 10 year older than I am. It's very depressing when everyone around you, but one person, is in better shape and older than you.

Last month I went into research mode. At first I was trying to accept my situation and simply decide to go for the Chinese monk style. I watched Youtube videos of bald white guys telling me the best thing to do is shave my head and wear hats. I can't grow a beard, so the monk look would be the only option. I struggled with the decision because I hate how the wind feels on my scalp. I decided to put up a fight because today there are options that might work for me if I ignore what all the bald white men with big beards are telling me. I went on a weeks long internet quest to find out what is possible these days. Now I am on finasteride 1mg a day and planning to move to dutasteride 0.5mg a day if a doctor is willing to give me a prescription.

I realized after researching that there are guys who are a few years younger than I am that went through the same thing years ago and are now doing better than I. I had no idea or didn't care to pay attention until it happened to me. I was amazed at how many young guys are on dutasteride and minoxidil. Some of those guys even had a hair transplant for a youthful hairline. Here I was, for the longest time, jealous of people who have been on drugs for years and some of them having went through with a hairline restoration. I thought they were all generically gifted when in reality they were worse than I was at their age. When I look back I recall the hints/clues that I let slip by. I was doing what they did when they first started losing hair. Now I am following them on the hair regrowth journey using drugs and changing my lifestyle.

From all the research I did, I noticed that the majority of people using minoxidil and finasteride at the same time to regrow hair have worse results than those whom simply used 1mg of finasteride a day and ketoconazole shampoo 2-3 times a week. They lost a lot of hair due to minoxidil starving weak follicles to grow new hairs that are dependent on minoxidil. Now they likely have to go through with a hair transplant to give them more density. I am suspicious of the hair doctors/clinics that put people on minoxidil with finasteride before waiting for the patient to do 2 full years of daily finasteride 1mg or (preferably) 2 years of dutasteride 0.5mg daily. I looked over dozens if not hundreds of patients results to come to that conclusion. Therefore, I am not on minoxidil at this time and do not plan to use it unless I have no choice. If I were to take minoxidil I would only use it occasionally to stimulate the scalp in an attempt to spark regrowth over trying to grow new hair from unused follicles by using it twice a day or taking the pill. It's not like minoxidil regrows hair or stops hair loss, it simply creates an illusion until the rest of your hair falls out in time.

The only thing I seen regrow hair efficiently are drugs that reduce DHT in the body and the scalp.

Saw palmetto does not reduce DHT in the body, thus does not stop it from getting to the scalp thereby miniaturizing the follicle. Consuming pumpkin seed every day could help a little. Also, adding daily soybean (estrogen like effects) with black or green tea appears to be beneficial for suppressing DHT to allow for some regrowth, but the green tea combo appears to reduce T as well. Never drink green tea without incorporating soybean into your diet because it spikes T like working out and sexual activity does, which means DHT will spike too. Black tea is better because you can drink it by itself, but to get the benefits you need soybean in your system on a daily basis to go along with it.

The best chance to stop hair loss and regrow hair is dutasteride. You don't have to take a very high dose to regrow hair like you do with finasteride. A dose of 0.5mg a day will change your system within ~4 weeks with much better results than 4 weeks of 5mg of finasteride. If you take a high dose of either finasteride or dutasteride you are more likely to experience negative side effects, which is why dutasteride is a better medication as it is more effective at lower doses than finasteride could ever be. Higher doses of dutasteride will suppress even more scalp DHT. Even 0.5mg of dutasteride will suppress more DHT in the body and scalp than finasteride. Negative side effects are not proven to be different between the two medications. Dutasteride simply works on both types and remains in the system a lot better than finasteride. With finasteride you will have to take 1mg every single day without fail because its half life is 6-8 hours! Good thing about finasteride is when you want to stop treatment it takes about half the time to reset your system than dutasteride, but I hear you don't have to get off the medication to have kids.

Right now I am on finasteride 1mg a day because dutasteride is not approved for hair loss in this country and it took me two doctors (and a few hundred of dollars) to get finasteride prescribed. However, after week 4 of finasteride I am going to get dutasteride prescribed by some doctor, maybe the doctor I got finasteride from. I plan on loading up my system in the first 2 months by taking 3 pills the first month and 2 the second month. My system should be fully orientated in the desired direction after that, then I will take 0.5mg from then on. The reason I am doing this is because my body is not getting any younger and my noticeable hair loss occurred when I started to lift weights. I don't plan to get older but there is no choice in that matter, but I do plan on lifting to get a healthy body. I don't want to risk my DHT levels spiking enough to cause complete baldness. I know with 90-95% of DHT suppression I can still build enough muscle with just T and do a better job at fighting hair loss. Plus, I don't have to consume pumpkin, soy and black tea every single day when on dutasteride. And if I forget to take a pill I'm okay because the half life is about a month. Seems like life will be a lot easier on dutasteride than finasteride.

The east Asian countries' 20-30 year olds seem to be doing fine with their 0.5mg dutasteride regimen. Now I am aware not every east Asian is a lucky person with great genetics. More Asian people are on dutasteride (even in China) than you think and hair transplants are not rare like in the Western world. You can clearly see the difference with the previous generations and the millennial generation. Why should we be surprised when they have had easy access to that drug for many years and America still hasn't approved the drug for hair loss.

Sorry for the long post.

Last edited:

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
@JonnyGo f*** off. I have lost more hair in 6 months than most people in thread have in 10 years.

my temples are fucked.

Attachments

• 28931F6E-CDF4-4399-A3EC-026AD9869ED2.jpeg
    28931F6E-CDF4-4399-A3EC-026AD9869ED2.jpeg
    271.5 KB · Views: 361
  • AD68B00C-9C29-4995-A904-1E3D8CFF503E.jpeg
    AD68B00C-9C29-4995-A904-1E3D8CFF503E.jpeg
    235.2 KB · Views: 301

OnThePill

My Regimen
Reaction score
I noticed my temple recession years ago. I thought it was because of a skin condition as my scalp was all kinds of weird. Apparently when you start to bald you can feel it before you see it. Things got worse in those areas faster than anywhere else. My scalp was itchy, tingly and the skin was getting more unhealthy. The temple hair miniaturized totally. Then came the defuse miniaturization, mostly in the front. My hair cycle decreased significantly once I was working out multiple times a week. That's when I had to start unclogging the shower every time, I noticed hair just laying around the house and a bunch of hair in the bed. I grew my hair long to hide the hair loss and I was trying not to touch my hair because of the fear of more falling out. That's what we call denial. That's when I should have went to the doctor within a week. Ideally I should have went when my temples were receding.

Once you start miniaturizing hair from DHT your hair cycles shorten up significantly. Probably 3-6 months rather than years like a "regular" person. Every time your hair falls out it is replaced with a thinner hair and eventually it gets so bad that your hair won't grow as long. In time the hair gets so small you can't see it with the human eye. When the hair reaches it's maximum miniaturization you are now "bald" in that area although there is technically a tiny thin hair living there like on other parts of your body you think has no hair.

When I went to the hair doctor he used a microscope to view my scalp and he diagnosed me with male pattern hair loss after seeing my hairs are miniaturizing. He did not want to hear anything about thyroid hair loss or bad diet after he saw miniaturization. He said the only thing that will help is finasteride or dutasteride. He also mentioned I might want to take minoxidil. We chatted about minoxidil. He admitted to not wanting to take minoxidil himself, but he was on finasteride for decades. He said I would need about 600 grafts to fill in my temple areas. He does not suggest hair transplant. He also told me not to look in the mirror when I start taking finasteride. Why? Because shedding was going to happen and he doesn't want me to freak out and stop medication when it's starting to work. He told me to buy a shampoo to remedy my scalp condition. I bought both Head and Shoulders [zinc] 2-1 and Nizoral 1%.

The first two weeks I did have side effects. I assume it was because of the T spike. I was back to the teen years of uncontrolled naughty dreams. That went away in the third week. Around that same time my hair was falling out faster, as if the hair was on the Titanic. The hairs I saw on my bed were all telogen hairs, the hairs with the white ends, most of them looked to be singles. I didn't panic because I know those hairs weren't growing anyway and they would fall out some day just to be replaced with worse hair. I have lived that for years now, but this time I have medication to reverse the miniaturization. So now I am less stressed about those hairs falling out. I look at it as progression. The doctor said the hairs that are still in the growing phase will actually thicken as they grow -- I don't have to wait for those hairs to fall out to see results.

Of course right now my hair looks the worse it has ever been after all those telogen hairs fell out within the last 3 weeks. I am continuing to take my medication and will move over to dutasteride for the best possible outcome. If the medication doesn't work I lose my hair. If I stop medication I will most definitely be bald in a few years. I saw what my mom's dad looked like around that age. I was following the genetic road, as I have my mothers hairline (at least I did at one point).

So, yes, your hair is miniaturizing from what I can tell. A hair doctor could look at your hair under the microscope to give you the diagnosis without a doubt. Keep in mind you could still have thyroid issues and even telogen effluvium to go along with your genetic hair loss. If you don't get on daily oral finasteride or dutasteride your hair will continue to miniaturize. Nothing else is going to save you. No minoxidil, no hair transplant, no RU-58841, no saw palmetto, no ketoconazole, etc. If it's DHT doing the damage DHT needs to be addressed as much as possible. Dutasteride does that very well if you actually use it like you're supposed to. Finasteride is good for people with a lot of hair still that are not "overpowering" the medication with their sensitivity to T and DHT.

I notice many people don't stick to the regimen, which is probably why they have earlier hair loss than others, they just can't stick to things that help them due to laziness.

I have to go check my thyroid because I believe/feel I am not healthy like I should be. I changed my diet but I need facts not feelings. The sides of my head are also not looking all that great. I don't eat much meat, I'm a vegetarian not by choice, good meat is expensive and fish is full of Japan's radiation and other toxins. I need to fix my diet/supplements, only blood test can guide me.

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
Dude that’s what I’m trying to figure out. It has made things much worse. Almost no recession but losing a ton of hair everywhere. I fill a sink daily. I want to stop it.

Attachments

• 643940F2-7DB7-4518-95EF-5CF411C3A868.jpeg
    643940F2-7DB7-4518-95EF-5CF411C3A868.jpeg
    75.7 KB · Views: 246

OnThePill

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have seen people go bald without recession. Most people I have seen have some recession first.

However, it looks like some guys have strong hairline follicles most of their life until they start their genetic downfall. Those guys go bald like women do. It's defuse but more severe because they have testicles that produce more T than women have when they get old.

You could be experiencing defuse miniaturization throughout your entire top. You would know better than anyone because you will have noticed the hair thickness changing. You can look the the hairs to see if there is any white ends attached or if it's simply breakage from bad diet/thyroid.

I noticed my thinning when I took a shower. My hair didn't feel the same way when I washing it, felt non existent. It got so thin that it would curl after a shower when I had very straight spiky hair before. Now it's more like Donald Trump.

Find a doctor that has one of those microscope cameras to check your scalp to see if there is any miniaturization. That's one of the best ways to find out very early before it becomes noticeable to the human eye. They will ask you about family history too to see if you are following in your dad's or grand dads' footsteps.

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah the hairs are all dead and thin now. The ones that are dropping now are all weaker and around 4 inches (is that 3 years?)

My father was NW3 bald at 30 but it was recession.

I just can’t tell if the drugs are making worse or better. I don’t buy the ‘shed as a good sign’ bullshit.

I’m done at this pace in a year after a year on meds.