Going Bald In Less Than A Year, Need Advice

OnThePill

My Regimen
Reaction score
The hairs I lost when I got on finasteride were telogen hairs. The hairs that have the little white end at the "root." They didn't have black ends and they weren't broken hairs. Those hairs were in the way of the news hairs. Finasteride kicked those hairs out of my head sooner than they would have been if I wasn't on medication because my growth cycle has slowed down in certain areas.

There is only one phase where the hair is growing. The other part of the cycle is dormant. Hairs can stick around for months in your head not growing until the new hair starts to grow again. So all those hairs will fall out at some point, if they all fall out at the same time you will look bald or thinner. Medications and other things can cause them to fall out around the same time.

Minoxidil seems to be a bad thing to use when you have a lot of hair on your head still. I have seen many guys accelerate their hair loss by using minoxidil before finasteride/dutasteride. It also seems permanent. You will shed like crazy on minoxidil if you haven't recovered your miniaturizing follicles first. Then you will have to use minoxidil forever just to keep those week minoxidil hairs. I don't think anyone should start out with minoxidil that isn't a woman.

I would say minoxidil sheds are bad sheds of what could have been good hair on finasteride/dutasteride.

CrownBalding

My Regimen
Reaction score
I agree with @Calikid. I got on lexapro and Jt really saved my life. I wasn’t even as bad as you mentally. Also given the fact that you’re in your 40s and this frantic, you should really do something to help your mental health.

ScaredOfBalding

My Regimen
Reaction score
A 40 year old man spending hours on a hair loss forum while not even having hair loss.
What a time to be alive.

Who Farted

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@JonnyGo f*** off. I have lost more hair in 6 months than most people in thread have in 10 years.

You’re also at least 10 years older than most people on this thread. By the time they get to your age they will either be far worse or have been on heavy medication for over a decade and will find it no longer works.

Yeah the hairs are all dead and thin now. The ones that are dropping now are all weaker and around 4 inches (is that 3 years?)

This statement, first off, makes no sense. Second, it shows you lack the most basic knowledge regarding hair growth; 4 inch hairs are, on average 8 months old, not 3 years.

Dude that’s what I’m trying to figure out. It has made things much worse. Almost no recession but losing a ton of hair everywhere. I fill a sink daily. I want to stop it.

Assuming you are thinning, there is no mystery here. You are diffuse thinning due to aging and because of DHT sensitivity that is too high for what you’re taking to counter it.

If finasteride was maintaining before and no longer is, your body has developed a tolerance to it. Alternatively, if you’ve been losing ground while on it, then you are either a non-responder or the dose was too low.

Which brings us to this...

It’s f*****g over. 3 weeks adding Propecia

Assuming you are a responder, this is a good thing, as it means the dosage is finally high enough for the finasteride to actually work. A heavy shed is normal when the dose you are taking is high enough to work. You didn’t experience it prior because the dose was too low for it to work.

Never tried Duta, did a full year on topical Finasteride, lost ground. Added Propecia and sh*t has gotten much much worse.

If you are shedding, you are probably responding, but you wont know for 6-12 months. Quitting mid shed, before regrowth and without another DHT blocker, will amount to accelerating your hair loss for nothing.

Is it normal to go from crazy density thick hair to whispy thin mess in two years?

There is no time table for hair loss. It occurs at the rate your DNA dictates. That being said, this is well within standard parameters for diffusers.

Last edited:

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
So what is it:

a. Topical Finasteride that I was using for a year, wasn’t working and by adding Propecia something is finally working and increasing an already heavy shed?

or

b. The Topical Finasteride and Propecia combination is too weak and I’m fucked?

or

c. Doesn’t matter I’m a non-responder should kill my self.

front has never thinned like this until I added oral. Always shedding but mostly diffuse mid center + crown, sides are shedding and miniaturized as well back is mostly fine, thinner but fine.

stachu

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Topical finasteride/dutasteride will do sh*t.

Jump on oral finasteride + minoxidil twice daily plus dermaroller once and be systematical with and you will be good.

If not switch to dutasteride and add ru to minoxidil. Pricey but it works like a charm for me. I have agressive hairloss, receding all over top and thinning to nw6 naturaly at 23 years old. Currently i hold thick NW2 with 0 falling hair in the shower.

0 sides. I still f*** like a beast and making my girlfriend squirt most of the time besides i can orgasm easly about 3 times straight with no performance lost. But my mindset is also very strong, mental health is first step to take care before taking any meds and regimen. Greets.

ScaredOfBalding

My Regimen
Reaction score

Jump on oral finasteride + minoxidil twice daily plus dermaroller once and be systematical with and you will be good.

If not switch to dutasteride and add ru to minoxidil. Pricey but it works like a charm for me. I have agressive hairloss, receding all over top and thinning to nw6 naturaly at 23 years old. Currently i hold thick NW2 with 0 falling hair in the shower.

0 sides. I still f*** like a beast and making my girlfriend squirt most of the time besides i can orgasm easly about 3 times straight with no performance lost. But my mindset is also very strong, mental health is first step to take care before taking any meds and regimen. Greets.
This made me laugh harder than it should have.
I like ur mindset tho and ur posts are an inspirational to me. Cheers man.

Baldingdane

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
DELUDED BDD RETARD.... Just the name of this thread "Going bald in less than a year" while you litlerely retained your juvenile hairline till your 40 and now you MIGHT (not even sure it's happening) experience a little thinning.. You are litterely an idiot....

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
Why would things get worse when I switched to Propecia? I acknowledge the topical must have not been doing anything. I’m afraid Dutasteride will get make it worse.

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score

Someone told me ru doesn't dissolve in liquid minoxidil, are you mixing your ru in with minoxidil? I need something to ease the itch i have on my crown for a few months. Hoping ru will work.

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
I don’t use RU.

Topical Finasteride 18 months
Propecia daily 1 month
Oral Minoxidil 26 months

Crazy and constant shed pretty much the entire time, accelerated with start of Propecia. No white bulbs. Thinner weaker hairs falling out.

also the itch which I rarely had in the last year has become constant with the start of Propecia. Is this common? Is this a part of the process?

cant find a doctor that uses the Trichoscan

Last edited:

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
I don’t use RU.

Topical Finasteride 18 months
Propecia daily 1 month
Oral Minoxidil 26 months

Crazy and constant shed pretty much the entire time, accelerated with start of Propecia. No white bulbs. Thinner weaker hairs falling out.

also the itch which I rarely had in the last year has become constant with the start of Propecia. Is this common? Is this a part of the process?

cant find a doctor that uses the Trichoscan

If you are worrying this much about it then just ditch the finasteride and jump on dutasteride, that way you will know you are blocking as much dht as possible and it may calm you down a bit mentally, i know i feel better mentally about taking dutasteride.

CrownBalding

My Regimen
Reaction score
So what is it:

a. Topical Finasteride that I was using for a year, wasn’t working and by adding Propecia something is finally working and increasing an already heavy shed?

or

b. The Topical Finasteride and Propecia combination is too weak and I’m fucked?

or

c. Doesn’t matter I’m a non-responder should kill my self.

front has never thinned like this until I added oral. Always shedding but mostly diffuse mid center + crown, sides are shedding and miniaturized as well back is mostly fine, thinner but fine.
Over 40 and considering suicide due to hair loss. Check out his pics too guys, a good looking, fit, full headed, young looking 40 year old. Yet he still considers suicide because he lost a bit of hair.

You’re absolutely pathetic and I hope you lose all of your hair in the next year. You never learned how to become a man in your 40+ years of life, that’s a real shame.

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
Is Dutasteride a flat dose? Like once or twice a week? Dr. told I should only do Propecia 3 times a week for same impact (I’m just doing it daily).

If I’m not responding at all to Finasteride, like no decrease in shed, just more loss. Would I most likely also not respond to Dutasteride?

JonnyGo

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I agree with @Calikid. I got on lexapro and Jt really saved my life. I wasn’t even as bad as you mentally. Also given the fact that you’re in your 40s and this frantic, you should really do something to help your mental health.
Are you still taking lexapro? Did you get any sides from it?

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks man. I get that it is irrational and probably shouldn’t hit me this way but it does. And when you never expect it and it happens fast... trying a new dermatologist for a Dutasteride script. I might as well try the last option before it’s too late. My main dermatologist is still claiming it’s a chronic Telogen Effluvium and is completely useless at this point.

I fucked by buying into that hope for years while I declined fast.

Anything to expect jumping from Propecia to Dutasteride? I mean I’ve only been in oral for about a month, hasn’t changed anything but obviously early.

CrownBalding

My Regimen
Reaction score
Are you still taking lexapro? Did you get any sides from it?
I got off of it months ago after my depression was I “remission” for 9-12 months. No sides on lexapro and finasteride.

About 4 week after starting lexapro (the time period they say it takes for it to kick in) I slowly started becoming myself again. I started leaving the house a bit, after about a month of straight up agoraphobia. I remember before I started the lexapro I legit thought about my hair at least every minute. It was impossible to think about ANYTHING else. My father actually became depressed in 2009, and ultimately killed himself. I remember feeling exactly how he acted before he died. Repeating the same negative sh*t all day to my loved ones, pacing around the house, I was an absolute f*****g mess man. If I still felt that way today I probably would’ve killed myself by now.

But somehow the lexapro slowly brought me back to feeling normal. I’m still not sure how much of it was lexapro and how much was circumstantial, but the only evidence I have that it was the lexapro is it was legit 4 weeks after starting it that I started to normalize again.

This process took months. After I started feeling a bit better I took on some extremely reckless behavior, which I think was a result of me not caring much about life anymore but finally feeling “up” enough to do something.

But now, over a year after I started lexapro, I’m in the best place I’ve been. Back in school, having a “friends with benefits” girl that I thought was beyond my league, and generally having a hopeful outlook on life.

Sorry if this was all over the place, I wrote it quick and it was just a stream of consciousness as I was typing. I recommend trying an antidepressant to ANYONE that was in my position.

Baldingdane

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks man. I get that it is irrational and probably shouldn’t hit me this way but it does. And when you never expect it and it happens fast... trying a new dermatologist for a Dutasteride script. I might as well try the last option before it’s too late. My main dermatologist is still claiming it’s a chronic Telogen Effluvium and is completely useless at this point.

Anything to expect jumping from Propecia to Dutasteride? I mean I’ve only been in oral for about a month, hasn’t changed i but obviously early.
I came off as rude and that i apologize for. It's more the fact that you have INSANE hair genetics, keeping your juvenile hairline till your 40 and the title "going bald in less than a year" is wrong. But you are loosing hair, and that is distressing to you - which is why we all are here. So you have every right to be here - maybe just try another approach next time, then i'll do the same...

Last edited:

DoctorHouse

Reaction score

Anything to expect jumping from Propecia to Dutasteride? I mean I’ve only been in oral for about a month, hasn’t changed anything but obviously early.
Didn't you want to have kids? Dutasteride could cause infertility.