GLUTATHIONE

Jacob

Reaction score
Well...Healthy Origins is pretty close to that price...maybe even cheaper with the larger mg size. But if Swanson's ever has a BOGO on it :woot: or even a sale or overall discount...

That Acetyl-glutathione is still my fav though.

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
Just bought 3 bottles of Glutathione Reduced 500 mg.. Will take it 3 times a day with my others supplements..!!!! I need to try it!! Thanks Jacob again!!

http://www.swansonvitamins.com/JR083/ItemDetail

Inflammation and Glutathione depletion are both linked to baldness.

israelite

Experienced Member
Reaction score
i just bought it also. i also bought taurine, organic roobibos tea,NAC N-Acetyl Cysteine, L-Arginine & L-Ornithine, Swanson Ultra Hair Revitalizing Formula

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
rwhairlosstalk said:
Hi I see this thread is long, is the glut really working for anyone??? Please God say it is sigh.

male pattern baldness is a side effect of a chronic inflammation (hair cell apoptosis) .. Every diseases (chron's disease,Alzheimer's, diabetes...) or problems related to chronic inflammation= depleted glutathione and Androgen Alopecia is no different.

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
What about topical PQQ in a liposomal cream? That would be a good idea I guess.. still don't know if I want to pull the trigger on this: http://www.protect100.com/

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
Glutathione reverses endothelial dysfunction and improves nitric oxide bioavailability.

Prasad A, Andrews NP, Padder FA, Husain M, Quyyumi AA.
Source

Cardiology Branch, National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892-1650, USA.
Abstract
OBJECTIVES:

We investigated whether glutathione (GSH), a reduced thiol that modulates redox state and forms adducts of nitric oxide (NO), improves endothelium-dependent vasomotion and NO activity in atherosclerosis.
BACKGROUND:

Endothelial dysfunction and reduced NO activity are associated with atherosclerosis and its clinical manifestations such as unstable angina.
METHODS:

In the femoral circulation of 17 patients with atherosclerosis or its risk factors, endothelium-dependent vasodilation with acetylcholine (ACH), and endothelium-independent vasodilation with nitroglycerin and sodium nitroprusside were studied before and after GSH. In 10 patients, femoral vein plasma cyclic guanylate monophosphate (cGMP) levels were measured during an infusion of ACH before and after GSH. Femoral artery flow velocity was measured using a Doppler flow wire and the resistance index (FVRI) calculated as mean arterial pressure divided by flow velocity.
RESULTS:

Glutathione strongly potentiated ACH-mediated vasodilation; at the two doses, FVRI decreased by 47% and 56% before, and by 61% and 67% after GSH (p = 0.003). Glutathione also elevated cGMP levels in the femoral vein during ACH infusion from 17.6 +/- 3 to 23.3 +/- 3 pmol/ml (p = 0.006). Augmentation of ACH responses was only observed in patients with depressed endothelial function. Glutathione did not influence endothelium-independent vasodilation with either NO donor.
CONCLUSIONS:

Thiol supplementation with GSH selectively improves human endothelial dysfunction by enhancing NO activity.

Jacob

Reaction score
squeegee said:
What about topical PQQ in a liposomal cream? That would be a good idea I guess.. still don't know if I want to pull the trigger on this: http://www.protect100.com/

Well I've kinda been using just that via Elsom. Had COQ10 added to the latest bottle. The Protect 100 I'm currently still using. Not on my scalp though. I do prefer oral glut though.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
I have be taking Cellgevity( expensive glutathione booster) for a few weeks and I notice my shedding has really slowed down immensely. Its expensive but if it helps in anyway with my hair its worth the money. It could be a coincidence too. Maybe I am finally over my Telogen Effluvium from quitting using additional minoxidil( Proxiphen does have some minoxidil in it so I have not quit it completely so to speak) since last year. So now I seem to be maintaining with just Proxiphen, finasteride, and Revivogen and my laser cap. Not only that but my skin looks better now and my eyes don't get irritated as much. No more facial bloating too. A big plus. I have also gone pretty much gluten free too so that may be helping too. I went gluten free simply to help with my Hashimoto's thyroiditis but if it helps with my hair loss, that will be a bonus too.

israelite

Experienced Member
Reaction score
rwhairlosstalk said:
Okay so has anyone had any success with this stuff???

i recently added glutathione, L arginine & l ornithine, msm, taurine, swanson hair revitalizing vitamin, & silica.

my hair shed is down
my eyebrows are thicker
my eyelashes are 4x longer.

Jacob

Reaction score
Perhaps the most intriguing and cost effective method that I have been using in recent months is a product called "acetyl-glutathione".

Acetyl-glutathione is a compound that actually occurs normally in a human body. It is an analog to the more potent antioxidant, reduced glutathione (the type used intravenously). Reduced glutathione is acted upon by "peptidase" enzymes almost immediately in the blood and tissues, and thus it loses its ability to enter cells and act intracellularly. This happens in a very short period of time and thus IV glutathione, while having a remarkable impact on metabolism, is relatively short-lived. (Inhalation of glutathione, as mentioned above, has shown promise in chronic lung diseases and it is believed that inhalation GSH treatment along with oral acetyl-glutathione supplementation appears to work much better than inhalation alone.)

Acetyl-glutathione has a major advantage over other forms of GSH supplementation. At the tissue level it is very easily assimilated intracellularly and then allowed to perform its powerful antioxidant and metabolic regulatory effects without prior decomposition by peptidases. It has been found that acetyl-glutathione is absorbed orally and is transported to all tissues of the body with remarkable anti-aging effects, anti-viral effects and in some studies an effect on some cancers.

http://archive.constantcontact.com/fs050/1101953185050/archive/1102045773713.html

Jacob

Reaction score
Oral Glutathione
Ingesting direct Glutathione does not raise Glutathione levels since it is poorly absorbed through the digestive system. The fragile tripeptide (3-amino acid) structure of Glutathione makes surviving the digestive tract a near impossibility. Additionally, your cells must generate their own Glutathione to be effective.

Reduced Glutathione
Glutathione must breakdown to its reduced form to work properly within the cells. But introducing the reduced form directly to the body is much like taking oral Glutathione – the effectiveness is lost. Supplementation with reduced Glutathione does not raise tissue levels of this critical antioxidant. Reduced Glutathione is also expensive and not metabolically active. Many doctors report that the clinical benefits achieved with intravenous reduced glutathione are not reproduced when it is taken orally.

Cysteine or L-Cysteine
Glutathione is a tripeptide (3-amino acid) comprised of Cysteine, Glutamic Acid and Glycine. Consuming these three amino acids independently does not ensure Glutathione production and can actually be harmful. Cysteine is the precursor to Glutathione and extremely important to Glutathione production, yet taking Cysteine is ineffective since it is potentially toxic. Cysteine is spontaneously oxidized in the gastrointestinal tract and the bloodstream and cannot reach the cells. Cysteine that does make it into the bloodstream can be further oxidized and do more damage than good. Cysteine may be one of the building blocks f Glutathione, but alone has a negligible impact on raising Glutathione levels.

N-Acetyl-Cysteine (NAC)
N-Acetyl Cysteine (NAC) is a synthetic version of Cysteine that is rapidly converted to the amino acid Cysteine. NAC supplements are moderately effective, but dosing is limited due to the toxic side effects (such as headaches, dizziness, blurred vision) associated with Cysteine Supplementation. NAC decreases Zinc, so supplementing with additional zinc and copper is recommended along with Vitamin C to prevent the Cysteine from converting to Cysteine, which can form kidney and bladder stones.

Recent Study on NAC:
According to recent research at The University of Virginia, N-Acetyl-Cysteine forms a red blood cell derived molecule that makes blood vessels think they are not getting enough oxygen. This leads to pulmonary arterial hypertension (PAH), a serious condition characterized by high blood pressure in the arteries that carry blood to the lungs. The results appeared in the September 2009 issue of the Journal of Clinical Investigation.

http://www.pointofreturn.com/glutathione.html

Jacob

Reaction score
Most of this page is on glutathione and the prostrate etc...but here's a blurb on hair(I posted part of it earlier in the thread): http://shirleys-wellness-cafe.com/pdf/men-glutathione-immunocal.pdf

Normal hair grows in cycles. Anagen is the active growing phase, catagen is a brief phase when growth slows down, and telogen is a resting dormant phase, where hair falls out, hopefully to be replaced in the next anagen phase. Research shows a positive correlation between GSH content and the percentage of anagen hairs present in a scalp sample, concluding that glutathione helps maintain the hair growth cycle. Researchers theorize that free radical formation plays a role in male pattern baldness. It is possible to measure the breakdown products of oxidative stress in bald and hairy areas of the scalp. The values are doubled in the balding areas. And correspondingly, hairy areas have almost three times as much glutathione.
In male-pattern baldness, androgens (male hormones) target hair follicles, which convert them into even stronger hormones. The unfortunate result is that hair growth slows or stops. M.E. Sawaya at the University of Miami showed that the conversion of these hormones can be influenced by glutathione, suggesting that GSH plays a protective role.

Age-related GSH losses in human hair follicles is part of the total body glutathione depletion described in chapter 6 on aging. Working at the L'Oreal research lab, M. Kermici measured follicular GSH activity in men and women ranging in age from 19 to 102 years and found a significant decline up until about age seventy, then a slower second decline.

Jacob

Reaction score
The Maplewood Company has that Acetyl Glutathione in 300mg caps(60 count) for around $75. That's the same price and even cheaper than Nutricology and other brands that only contain 100mg per cap(60 count). In fact.. Maplewood's 100mg ones are about the same price. :shock:

http://tinyurl.com/6p2pkeu

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Acetyl-Glut...spheric-GSH-PLEASE-READ-/110855287059#vi-desc

I agree with that ebay'r about it being better than liposomal glut. Besides what he says there..I just noticed more of a difference health-wise/skin-wise on the acetyl glut.

Experienced Member
Reaction score
all you need to know about gluthatione:

YOU SHOULD NOT TAKE THIS SUPPLEMENT LONG TERM

If you do, your body will start producing less of it and you will end up worse than before...

END OF THREAD
----------------------------------------------