GLUTATHIONE

Jacob

Reaction score
It's hard to say when I and I'm sure others are using so many other things. I just take it because it makes sense to....

rwhairlosstalk

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Thats why it's best stabilized yourself, and count your hairs to know the range you lose on that regimen, then introduce something. Otherwise when something works, you won't know which it is.

I do this with spironolactone, saw palmetto and msm. My hair count stabilized to say around 100 a day. I then shaved my temples to see what parts were bald and what parts had hair. I thought that would be a good opp to see if the nioxin vits helped. Since the temple hair grew like a turtle, i tried nioxin and within a week the temple hair that was slow shot out. All the time counting hairs daily. Over a 2-3 mo period, that hair loss stabled out. I introduced msm and notice my hair loss was being cut in half. I didn't expect much from the msm so I thought, let me try again, same thing hair count around 50. I realized it was the msm. I placed it in my regi.

This is how I determine what works. I count hairs , intro a new item, observe, if it works i place it in my regi.

The Natural

Established Member
Reaction score
Right. I don't give a --- about all that other gibberish talk.

- Does it slow or stop your shedding?
- Does it provide regrowth?

We need to stop all the extra and provide those 2 answers.

I agree with this statement 100%. It is possible to assess the actual effectiveness of the supplements and topicals that we use.

Jacob

Reaction score
The problem is we're dealing with something that..for most of us..is very hard to treat. Especially when it comes to regrowth. IMO it takes a good year to know if something is really helping(not talking about thicker hair type stuff). And I'd prefer to use a # of things internally and topically- it just would be impossible and take years to sit around counting hairs and seeing if something I added has done anything...when the halting the hair loss or regrowth could be a continuation of something that started with a product I dropped a couple-few months ago or could be a combination of two or more things..or could be the time of year....etc etc.

I'm also not a hair counter to begin with..so... :unsure:

But I'm not saying it can't work for you or others.....

Quadzilla99

Established Member
Reaction score
Milk thistle (silymarin) is a very cheap glutathione booster:

Inhibition of cyclooxygenase-2 and inducible nitric oxide synthase by silymarin in proliferating mesenchymal stem cells: comparison with glutathione modifiers.
Ahmadi-Ashtiani H, Allameh A, Rastegar H, Soleimani M, Barkhordari E.
Source
Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Medical Sciences, Tarbiat Modares University, POB 14115-111, Tehran, Islamic Republic of Iran.
Abstract
Silymarin, a mixture of flavonolignans, is extracted from milk thistle (Silybum marianum) and has a strong antioxidant activity and exhibits anticarcinogenic, anti-inflammatory, and cytoprotective effects. In this study we attempted to determine whether silymarin and the glutathione modifiers, buthionine sulfoxamine (BSO) and N-acetylcysteine (NAC), are involved in regulation of cyclooxygenase (COX)-2 and inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS) in proliferating mesenchymal stem cells (MSCs). Cellular glutathione was manipulated during a 14-day culture using BSO, NAC and silymarin. At intervals of 2, 7 and 14 days, cells were collected and COX-2 and iNOS levels were measured. In parallel, generation of cellular H(2)O(2) and glutathione were measured. Supplementation of the culture media with BSO caused a dose-dependent decrease in MSC proliferation, whereas NAC or silymarin elevated the proliferation (p < 0.05). Treatment of MSC with NAC or silymarin caused a significant decrease in COX-2 levels. However, COX-2 levels in cells treated with high levels of NAC (1.0 mM) were significantly lower than those in MSCs treated with high levels of silymarin (100 μM). BSO (1.0 and 5.0 μM) caused a significant increase in COX-2 on days 2, 7 and 14. BSO caused a significant increase in iNOS, whereas NAC or silymarin decreased cellular iNOS. Overall result show that glutathione, iNOS and COX-2 in proliferating MSCs are affected by silymarin treatment. It appears that glutathione is the main target of silymarin, and in consequence iNOS and COX-2 are affected in response to silymarin treatment.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21710354
Indian J Med Res. 2006 Nov;124(5):491-504.
Hepatoprotective herbal drug, silymarin from experimental pharmacology to clinical medicine.
Pradhan SC, Girish C.
Source
Department of Pharmacology, Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education & Research, Pondicherry, India. scpradhan@jipmer.edu
Abstract
Silymarin, a flavonolignan from 'milk thistle' (Silybum marianum) plant is used almost exclusively for hepatoprotection and amounts to 180 million US dollars business in Germany alone. In this review we discuss about its safety, efficacy and future uses in liver diseases. The use of silymarin may replace the polyherbal formulations and will avoid the major problems of standardization, quality control and contamination with heavy metals or bacterial toxins. Silymarin consists of four flavonolignan isomers namely--silybin, isosilybin, silydianin and silychristin. Among them, silybin being the most active and commonly used. Silymarin is orally absorbed and is excreted mainly through bile as sulphates and conjugates. Silymarin offers good protection in various toxic models of experimental liver diseases in laboratory animals. It acts by antioxidative, anti-lipid peroxidative, antifibrotic, anti-inflammatory, membrane stabilizing, immunomodulatory and liver regenerating mechanisms. Silymarin has clinical applications in alcoholic liver diseases, liver cirrhosis, Amanita mushroom poisoning, viral hepatitis, toxic and drug induced liver diseases and in diabetic patients. Though silymarin does not have antiviral properties against hepatitis virus, it promotes protein synthesis, helps in regenerating liver tissue, controls inflammation, enhances glucuronidation and protects against glutathione depletion. Silymarin may prove to be a useful drug for hepatoprotection in hepatobiliary diseases and in hepatotoxicity due to drugs. The non traditional use of silymarin may make a breakthrough as a new approach to protect other organs in addition to liver. As it is having a good safety profile, better patient tolerability and an effective drug at an affordable price, in near future new derivatives or new combinations of this drug may prove to be useful.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17213517

Comparative effects of silymarin and vitamin E supplementation on oxidative stress markers, and hemoglobin levels among patients on hemodialysis.
Roozbeh J, Shahriyari B, Akmali M, Vessal G, Pakfetrat M, Raees Jalali GA, Afshariani R, Hasheminasab M, Ghahramani N.
Source
Division of Nephrology, Department of Medicine, Nephro-Urology Research Center, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, Shiraz, Islamic Republic of Iran.
Abstract
BACKGROUND:
The incidence of accelerated atherosclerosis among patients on hemodialysis is very high and oxidative stress (OS) is a potentially major contributor to their morbidity and mortality.
OBJECTIVE:
To evaluate the effects of Silymarin and/or vitamin E on OS markers and hemoglobin levels in patients on hemodialysis.
METHODS:
Eighty patients on hemodialysis were randomized into four groups: Group 1 received silymarin 140 mg 3 times daily; Group 2 received vitamin E 400 IU/day; Group 3 received silymarin 140 mg 3 times daily and vitamin E 400 IU/day; and Group 4 was the control. Samples were obtained at baseline and on day 21 for measurement of malondialdehyde (MDA), red blood cell (RBC) glutathione peroxidase (GPX), and hemoglobin.
RESULTS:
Combination of silymarin and vitamin E led to a reduction in the MDA levels (7.84 ± 1.84 vs. 9.20 ± 2.74 nmol/mL; p = 0.008). There was a significant increase in RBC GPX levels in all treatment groups compared with controls after 3 weeks. This was more pronounced in the group receiving combination compared with the group receiving vitamin E or the control group (5.78 ± 3.51, 4.22 ± 1.63, and 3.16 ± 1.89 IU/grHb, respectively; p < 0.001). There was also a significant increase in mean hemoglobin of all treatment groups compared with the control.
CONCLUSIONS:
Oral supplementation with silymarin and vitamin E leads to reduction in MDA, increase in RBC GPX, and increase in hemoglobin levels in patients with end-stage renal disease. Studies with larger sample sizes and longer follow-up are required to investigate the effect of silymarin on cardiovascular outcomes and erythropoietin requirement.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21332331

Effects of silymarin on the proliferation and glutathione levels of peripheral blood mononuclear cells from beta-thalassemia major patients.
Alidoost F, Gharagozloo M, Bagherpour B, Jafarian A, Sajjadi SE, Hourfar H, Moayedi B.
Source
Department of Immunology, School of Medicine, Hezar Jerib Avenue, Isfahan University of Medical Sciences, Isfahan, Iran.
Abstract
Iron toxicity in beta-thalassemia major is the main cause of oxidative stress and cell mediated immune deficiencies. Despite indicative signs of severe oxidative deficiencies associated with beta-thalassemia major, such as decreased level of plasma antioxidants and depletion of erythrocyte glutathione, little is known about intracellular redox status of immune cells. Since glutathione is a primary intracellular antioxidant and plays an essential role in several functions in T cells, in this study intracellular glutathione (GSH) levels as well as proliferation of PHA-activated peripheral blood mononuclear cells (PBMC) were investigated in 28 beta-thalassemia major patients and 28 healthy age-matched individuals. Considering the potential benefits of flavonoids in the therapy of oxidative stress, the effects of silymarin on the GSH levels and proliferation of PBMC from normal and thalassemia individuals were further examined. Quantitative determination of intracellular GSH and proliferative response of PBMC to PHA were performed before and after 72 h incubation of PBMC with various concentrations of silymarin (0, 5, 10, or 20 mug/ml). Results demonstrated a significant reduction of GSH and proliferation in beta-thalassemia major cells; however treatment with silymarin led to restoration of both GSH levels and PBMC proliferation in thalassemia patients. Considerably low levels of GSH and depressed proliferative response of PBMC in beta-thalassemia major may be responsible for the cell mediated immune abnormalities in iron overload conditions. Moreover, the GSH restoration and improvement of PBMC growth by silymarin is a possible explanation for its recently reported antioxidant and immunostimulatory activities. These data suggest the benefit of using flavonoids to normalize immune dysfunction in beta-thalassemia major. The immunomodulatory effects of silymarin in beta-thalassemia major are currently under further investigation in a double blind clinical trial.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16782543

There was also a study which showed that a topical formula of MSM and milk thistle were an effective treatment for rosacea (an inflammatory condition): http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18254805

I subscribe and save to dis one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0013OULVA/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_9?ie=UTF8&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER and take 2 or 3 a day.

LawOfThelema

Experienced Member
Reaction score
The problem is we're dealing with something that..for most of us..is very hard to treat. Especially when it comes to regrowth. IMO it takes a good year to know if something is really helping(not talking about thicker hair type stuff). And I'd prefer to use a # of things internally and topically- it just would be impossible and take years to sit around counting hairs and seeing if something I added has done anything...when the halting the hair loss or regrowth could be a continuation of something that started with a product I dropped a couple-few months ago or could be a combination of two or more things..or could be the time of year....etc etc.

I'm also not a hair counter to begin with..so... :unsure:

But I'm not saying it can't work for you or others.....

Well, there could also be a delay time between when you start using something and when it starts working. It's a tough thing to assess. Most aren't willing to use only 1 treatment protocol and use a bunch at the same time. We just don't have the luxury to only use one thing which might not work, all the while are baldness is progressing worse and worse.

rwhairlosstalk

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I understand but the thread started in 2005. LOL 12 yrs ago. So I'm just wondering if anyone who itiniitially jumped on the bandwagon has reported

- reduction in shedding
- regrowth

from glut.

Jacob

Reaction score
I'm not too familiar with those...I stick with Jarrow for Milk Thistle due to this:

http://www.hcvadvocate.org/news/NewsUpdates_pdf/Advocate%202010/advocate0210.pdf

(read page 3)

Here's some info on phytosomes:

http://www.thorne.com/altmedrev/.fulltext/14/4/385.pdf

http://doctormurray.com/2011/01/phy...t-increase-the-absorption-of-herbal-extracts/

- - - Updated - - -

Swanson recently came out with an "L-Glutathione Cream with Seteria": http://www.swansonvitamins.com/SWCS055/ItemDetail
[h=1][/h]

Experienced Member
Reaction score
holy **** 16 pages of Jacob posting links to some weird products...

let me make this simple:

ALL sick people with any kind of health problems have low levels of Glutathione so you all definitely need it.
You SHOULD NOT supply glutathione directly unless you have serious health problems(aids, cancer...), INSTEAD you should raise its levels by taking its precursors:

Vitamin D
N-acetylcysteine
Lipoic Acid
(also you need Zinc)

all this, less than $10/month if you buy it straight from Amazon.com. There is no need to buy anything else. This isn't that complicated. Jacob is a troll

Jacob

Reaction score
This was posted previously about NAC though(I don't know if there's been other research debunking it or ? ..it was in 2009):
N-Acetyl-Cysteine (NAC)
N-Acetyl Cysteine (NAC) is a synthetic version of Cysteine that is rapidly converted to the amino acid Cysteine. NAC supplements are moderately effective, but dosing is limited due to the toxic side effects (such as headaches, dizziness, blurred vision) associated with Cysteine Supplementation. NAC decreases Zinc, so supplementing with additional zinc and copper is recommended along with Vitamin C to prevent the Cysteine from converting to Cysteine, which can form kidney and bladder stones.

Recent Study on NAC:
According to recent research at The University of Virginia, N-Acetyl-Cysteine forms a red blood cell derived molecule that makes blood vessels think they are not getting enough oxygen. This leads to pulmonary arterial hypertension (PAH), a serious condition characterized by high blood pressure in the arteries that carry blood to the lungs. The results appeared in the September 2009 issue of the Journal of Clinical Investigation.

Of course 2020 has been reading my links..ahem....

Experienced Member
Reaction score
N-Acetyl-Cysteine (NAC)
N-Acetyl Cysteine (NAC) is a synthetic version of Cysteine that is rapidly converted to the amino acid Cysteine. NAC supplements are moderately effective, but dosing is limited due to the toxic side effects (such as headaches, dizziness, blurred vision) associated with Cysteine Supplementation. NAC decreases Zinc, so supplementing with additional zinc and copper is recommended along with Vitamin C to prevent the Cysteine from converting to Cysteine, which can form kidney and bladder stones.

yes I did mention that you should take zinc with it. Vitamin C too

It's not toxic if you take it in the right dosage. Your headache pills would be toxic too if you took a dozen of them

Recent Study on NAC:
According to recent research at The University of Virginia, N-Acetyl-Cysteine forms a red blood cell derived molecule that makes blood vessels think they are not getting enough oxygen. This leads to pulmonary arterial hypertension (PAH), a serious condition characterized by high blood pressure in the arteries that carry blood to the lungs. The results appeared in the September 2009 issue of the Journal of Clinical Investigation..

you forgot to mention that that study was done on mice. It doesn't work like that on humans

Jacob

Reaction score
yes I did mention that you should take zinc with it. Vitamin C too

It's not toxic if you take it in the right dosage. Your headache pills would be toxic too if you took a dozen of them

you forgot to mention that that study was done on mice. It doesn't work like that on humans

Yes, you did mention it. Like I said..you've read my links. You just forgot copper :wave:

And yes..it was done on mice. But instead of a simplistic "It doesn't work like that on humans"...a bit of research shows it doesn't even work like that on animals(at least no one has done a similar study)..and the amount given to the mice was 10-20 times the amount humans are suggested to take.

http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag2010/may2010_N-Acetyl-Cysteine_01.htm

Hmmmmm... http://bloodjournal.hematologylibrary.org/content/99/5/1552.full

I see LEF is even using/selling Setria L-Glutathione these days as well. But darn..nothing about not taking it unless you have "serious health problems". :rolleyes: I still think it's best...like so many other things...to do some type of rotation instead of constantly taking the same thing for extended lengths of time.

- - - Updated - - -

As long as we're taking something for our hair....

http://roxlor.com/cynatinehns.php

Cynatine HNS is able to bond with hair in the body and has been shown to reduce hair loss from washing, improve hair strength and improve the brightness and luster of hair.

Cynatine improves the brightness and radiance of skin through its natural antioxidant properties and its ability to promote SOD and glutathione production.

I noticed it in some hair formulas- Twinlab/Nature's Herbs...Douglas Laboratories....

Roxlor recently conducted a new human clinical trial examining the benefits of Cynatine® on hair, nails and skin over a 30 to 90 day period. In their results publicized today, Cynatine® was reported to reduce everyday hair loss by up to 46 percent, while promoting hair growth, strength and shine.

http://www.prweb.com/releases/DouglasLabs/CynatineHNS/prweb9730899.htm

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
2020. Glutathione is the strongest endogenous antioxidant of all. Nothing come close. Precursors do almost nothing to boost it.. The only good NAC on the market is the sustain one from Jarrow.
http://www.swansonvitamins.com/NCL079/ItemDetail is really good. Has Cysteine Peptide in it. Aceyl-glutathione is really good but on still on the expensive side. Liposomal glutathione is probably the way to go.. We can take all the antioxidant in this World.. Nothing beats Glutathione.. Btw qualifying Jacob as a troll is totally stupid.. He is the Wikipedia of supplements. Troll fits you better: In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory,[SUP][2][/SUP] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[SUP][3][/SUP] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[SUP][4][/SUP] The noun troll may refer to the provocative message itself, as in: "That was an excellent troll you posted." You probably a member on every hairloss forum on the web trollin around!! LOL

Experienced Member
Reaction score
2020. Glutathione is the strongest endogenous of all. Nothing come close. Precursors do almost nothing to boost it.. The only good NAC on the market is the sustain one from Jarrow.

Then how do you think your body makes it? Out of nothing?

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
Glutathione is a tripeptide. It contains glutamic acid, cysteine, and glycine. Most glutathione supplements are destroyed in the digestive tract...Liposomal glutathione and cysteine peptide allows the body to synthesize Glutathine and replenish the depleted stores.. There is nothing special about Glut supplements.. a better absorption of the amino acid.. Cysteine peptide is the most important one.. but if you find a good one.. you will see a big difference in your skin.. also help a lot to recover from the gym and hung-overs..Most powerful detoxifier and antioxidant that your body is producing..

- - - Updated - - -

I understand but the thread started in 2005. LOL 12 yrs ago. So I'm just wondering if anyone who itiniitially jumped on the bandwagon has reported

- reduction in shedding
- regrowth

from glut.

so.. 2012-2005 = 12 years? LOL