Finasteride An Emotional Rollercoaster

centurie

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for your input, but I'm pretty sure I got results from finasteride too. I'm glad I dropped Minoxidil, my body hair decreased so much already!
Anyway, the shedding seems to come to an end. The itching is almost gone too. I also noticed some "new" hair on my hairline and temples is finally getting a bit longer and thicker too. It's like 70% as thick as a terminal hair. Let's hope good thing will happen now.
I'm still taking 1.25mg/day consistently, and I have been for the last ~8.5 months.

Well keep me updated on how it goes, if things seem to pick up I may drop it myself. Goodluck

nohairnohair

Reaction score
you're definitely not imagining things. finasteride can create drastically different reactions in different people. We are used to the simple, "either you're a responder or a non responder" and "finasteride can't make you lose more hair, it's impossible". These are two most common things I have heard. For you, soon any of the following may occur -

1) you stop shedding and remain where you are
2) you stop shedding and the shed hair regrows and you stabilize
3) you continue to shed and shed and your hair thins out drastically

how common are any of the above? most people say you have a 90% chance of either 1 or 2 happening. unfortunately number 3 is what happened to me. continue to monitor yourself. if you're still below baseline at 8-10 months, drop it.

your second picture is at a different angle. from right above, hair always looks thicker. from a 45 degree angle, hair looks thin because you can see through everything.

I agree on the points you raised. Our body may react differently to medications, so what may work in one person may create the same effects on the other. This is why I would always advise people struggling to get advised so that you will be given a treatment that would suit you best.

michel sapin

My Regimen
Reaction score
hey centurie ; i thought you were only applying minoxidil to your face ? not to your hair ?
And vesemir ; your unwanted body hair are gone ? that is a good news , so if we stop minoxidil the unwanted body hair fall

g.i joey

Reaction score
hey centurie ; i thought you were only applying minoxidil to your face ? not to your hair ?
And vesemir ; your unwanted body hair are gone ? that is a good news , so if we stop minoxidil the unwanted body hair fall

of course, just like the wanted head hair

Grasshüpfer

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Love this thread @Vesemir.
It helps a lot to read about your successes and drawbacks.
I'm four months in. Not sure if it does anything, but I'm sure shedding like hell. :rolleyes:

Vesemir

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

It has decreased already and my body hair is for sure growing at a much lower pace.

Love this thread @Vesemir.
It helps a lot to read about your successes and drawbacks.
I'm four months in. Not sure if it does anything, but I'm sure shedding like hell. :rolleyes:

My shedding seems to have stopped. At least the itching is gone. My nipples seem to be a bit puffy lately, that's a bummer. But I'm still not sure what's causing it, because I'm bulking up quite fast too. Anyway, my nips arent consistently puffy so that's something.

michel sapin

My Regimen
Reaction score
just puffy when the temperature is warm i guess ? that was the first sign for gyno lump .
But you've got great hair

centurie

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Started with applying to my face (over a year), but 3months ago started applying directly to my hair as my hair situation started going downhill again.

I'm pretty sure applying the minoxidil to my face gave me the exact same results as if I would of applied directly to my hair hence why people get excess body hair growth when on minoxidil.

For those who were wondering I started applying minoxidil to my face as a facial hair experiment due to propecia stunting my facial hair development, and yes it did give positive results.

michel sapin

My Regimen
Reaction score
no offense centurie , but i seriously doubt applying minoxidil to your face give you result to yor hair . i read a post by bryan which quoted a study which said that minoxidil might give you small result on your scalp if you apply it on other area of your body , but the real result happen if you apply it on your scalp .
And you apply the minoxidil to your whole scalp or just hairline ?

Vesemir

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey guys. I wanted to share a picture of both my grandfathers. One of them is still alive, he turned 80 not so long ago! I never knew my other grandpa, he passed away at a young age. They both had perfect hair when they were ~30/40 years old. The one that is still alive still has a good amount of hair and he doesn't have a single grey hair! (no he doesn't dye it)

So basically I just wanted to complain a bit about my sh*t genes. My own father had superb hair until his 50s, after that age he started to lose some hair.

I'm currently considering switching to 1.25mg/finasteride every other day, instead of daily, because of the puffy nipples. Do you guys think this would make a difference?

Opa1.jpg

Opa2.jpg

@michel sapin @centurie @Grasshüpfer @g.i joey @whatevr

whatevr

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey guys. I wanted to share a picture of both my grandfathers. One of them is still alive, he turned 80 not so long ago! I never knew my other grandpa, he passed away at a young age. They both had perfect hair when they were ~30/40 years old. The one that is still alive still has a good amount of hair and he doesn't have a single grey hair! (no he doesn't dye it)

So basically I just wanted to complain a bit about my sh*t genes. My own father had superb hair until his 50s, after that age he started to lose some hair.

I'm currently considering switching to 1.25mg/finasteride every other day, instead of daily, because of the puffy nipples. Do you guys think this would make a difference?

@michel sapin @centurie @Grasshüpfer @g.i joey @whatevr

Whatever you do to make Finasteride less harmful to your nipples will also make it less effective for your hair, no way around that.
Your nipples are puffy due to lack of DHT and estrogen increase, if you use Finasteride less or less often, you will just get more DHT and less estrogen and along with that your hair will also take a hit.

sunchyme1

My Regimen
Reaction score
Whatever you do to make Finasteride less harmful to your nipples will also make it less effective for your hair, no way around that.
Your nipples are puffy due to lack of DHT and estrogen increase, if you use Finasteride less or less often, you will just get more DHT and less estrogen and along with that your hair will also take a hit.

how do u get rid of puffy nipples?

is it just a case of lowering estrogen and increasing test? i dont gave gyno, just annoying puffy nipples

Vesemir

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Well, 1,25mg a day is quite a high dose right? Maybe it's still possible to get full effectiveness with a lower dose.

centurie

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
no offense centurie , but i seriously doubt applying minoxidil to your face give you result to yor hair . i read a post by bryan which quoted a study which said that minoxidil might give you small result on your scalp if you apply it on other area of your body , but the real result happen if you apply it on your scalp .
And you apply the minoxidil to your whole scalp or just hairline ?

I'm just going off my own results, I don't think it is a coincidence that 3 months after applying minoxidil to my face I got insane hair regrowth as well as hairline regrowth. This was also after over a year of 0 success on propecia. I also do not think its a coincidence that after using minoxidil for a year on my face my hair started taking a downturn again as all minoxidil studys show this when it begins to lose its effectiveness. Also I've been applying minoxidil all over my scalp for 3months now and have had 0 results doing this, and I believe that's because it makes no difference from me applying it on my face as oppose to my scalp.

centurie

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Well, 1,25mg a day is quite a high dose right? Maybe it's still possible to get full effectiveness with a lower dose.

There is minimal difference between .5mg and 1.25mg. if your inclined to sides you will get them at whatever dose you take that's making any difference for your hair.

Vesemir

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
There is minimal difference between .5mg and 1.25mg. if your inclined to sides you will get them at whatever dose you take that's making any difference for your hair.

Yea I know about the minimal difference. I can't split the pills in anything less than 1/4th though. So I'm stuck with 1.25mg.

michel sapin

My Regimen
Reaction score
yes we are too sensitive to finasteride . the strange thing is that during the first 15 month i took propecia i had no puffy nipples at all . And now my nipples are constantly puffy on propecia when it is warm

centurie

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
yes we are too sensitive to finasteride . the strange thing is that during the first 15 month i took propecia i had no puffy nipples at all . And now my nipples are constantly puffy on propecia when it is warm

With the puffy nipples thing are you sure that they are actually caused by propecia as I too had puffy nipples which I associated with taking propecia but then I looked back on old photos and saw that's just the way my nipples were.

michel sapin

My Regimen
Reaction score
no for me i am 100% sure this is propecia . i never had this before or during puberty. Even when i was heavier due to a slight bulk when i started weight lifting i didn't have this

Regulate

My Regimen
Reaction score
Is gyno ALWAYS the case if you have puffy nipples? and how bad can gyno be if you're in shape? I'm 6ft3 and around 82kg/18- lbs. I don't work out but due to my father of African descent I have an atletic build.