Finasteride An Emotional Rollercoaster

Vesemir

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You are so lucky man. Ever since starting Finasteride 4.5 months a go my hair is still thinning / miniturize very fast. It even increased the last month.

How is your situation right now?

Today is my 6 months mark

The last 2 weeks I had some itchy days. It disturbed me a little because hair loss and itching go hand in hand, at least for me. Luckily I didn't notice any loss and the itching has gone away.
I'm growing out my hair atm and the hairs that regrew are blending in slowly! They are thick and strong, which is very nice. I initially had a lot of regrowth but since then no more, just a stabilized situation.

Last edited by a moderator:

WMQ

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
From the multiple anecdotal reports of finasteride induced itch/shedding I'm becoming more and more convinced that the reflex hyperandrogenicity thing is more common than we thought. Probably MOST users undergo it without knowing. For some lucky guys, the reflex subsides quickly and you go into maintaining/regrowth; for some unlucky guys, that day never comes.

The "synchronized shed" is probably a misinterpretation of how finasteride/minoxidil works. Especially if you consider that some treatments like andenosine, though assumingly works in similar way to minoxidil, seldom cause initial shedding. (And yes, minoxidil MIGHT have something to do with androgen signal too: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4039155/)

Vesemir

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
From the multiple anecdotal reports of finasteride induced itch/shedding I'm becoming more and more convinced that the reflex hyperandrogenicity thing is more common than we thought. Probably MOST users undergo it without knowing. For some lucky guys, the reflex subsides quickly and you go into maintaining/regrowth; for some unlucky guys, that day never comes.

The "synchronized shed" is probably a misinterpretation of how finasteride/minoxidil works. Especially if you consider that some treatments like andenosine, though assumingly works in similar way to minoxidil, seldom cause initial shedding. (And yes, minoxidil MIGHT have something to do with androgen signal too: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4039155/)

I don't know what happened in my case but I'm glad it's working now.

Vesemir

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
A little update!

What do you guys think? I'm very happy with the results. I just looked at the first 2 pictures I posted in this thread and my hair definitely got thicker. I'm currently growing it out.

giphy.gif

2ipkFyD

2ipkFyD

stachu

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If you're happy with results, i am happy also.

It looks 10/10

Grasshüpfer

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Can we get a wet pick to compare?

Im on finasteride now for two month and on Ru for four month. Shedding is down to 10-15 hairs if I rub my scalp throughly for 90 sec. Maybe just not much hair left to fall out lol. I'm contemplating to get on minoxidil now.

IggyPop

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Vesemir

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Nice, above baseline. Thx for updating. Did you also notice some regrowth at your hairline?

Only a little. It's still my weakest area. Lately I've been putting a little more minoxil on it. I'll update this thread of something changes.

Vesemir

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm very excited to report that the second wave of regrowth has definitely kicked in. I'm seeing so many new hairs on my hairline, sadly I can't get it on camera. A lot of them will probably shed once more to grow back as terminal hairs, that's what happened the last time.

Vesemir

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
My hair is Taking a pretty big hit from the shedding atm. I've been thinking about dropping minoxidil lately. Imo it hasn't done much in terms of stabilization and regrowth. My hair looks like sh*t if I don't wash the excess minoxidil out and my scalp is always flakey. I feel like it does more harm than good.
I'm afraid to continue applying it but I'm also afraid to stop. Not sure what to do, but I'm kinda done with it.

Grasshüpfer

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Don't drop minoxidil yet. It works in waves of shedding and regrowth as the growth cycles are synchronised.
Your regrowth was probably not caused by finasteride after six months. So minoxidil is doing its job.

For minoxidil, maybe use less and a 1ml syringe with blunt tip to apply the minoxidil just on the scalp, so it's not travelling up the hair.
The syringes are hard to come by, as everyone thinks you are a junkie, but vapers use them too, so there is a way.

Vesemir

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Don't drop minoxidil yet. It works in waves of shedding and regrowth as the growth cycles are synchronised.
Your regrowth was probably not caused by finasteride after six months. So minoxidil is doing its job.

For minoxidil, maybe use less and a 1ml syringe with blunt tip to apply the minoxidil just on the scalp, so it's not travelling up the hair.
The syringes are hard to come by, as everyone thinks you are a junkie, but vapers use them too, so there is a way.

Thanks for your reply. I hope you're right. It's such a mindfuck and I wanna do the right thing. When I notice more loss I assume something is wrong. Is it common to have regrowth after 6 months on minoxidil?

Grasshüpfer

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. I hope you're right. It's such a mindfuck and I wanna do the right thing. When I notice more loss I assume something is wrong. Is it common to have regrowth after 6 months on minoxidil?

From what I read many people say they can't get used to the ups and downs of minoxidil. minoxidil gets better in waves.

I'm only three months on finasteride, still have the occasional itch.. i will start minoxidil once I have the feeling finasteride is doing its job.

Vesemir

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
From what I read many people say they can't get used to the ups and downs of minoxidil. minoxidil gets better in waves.

I'm only three months on finasteride, still have the occasional itch.. i will start minoxidil once I have the feeling finasteride is doing its job.

Well most stories I've read about Minoxidil are the ones with results in the first 6 months or there are no results at all.

I'm just amazed how much your look can change in a few weeks of shedding. It affects my mood badly, I don't even wanna touch my hair in fear of seeing another hair fall down. These treaments man. The moment of sending a cloned dinosaur to mars is probably closer than a real cure for male pattern baldness.

Vesemir

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
So I dropped minoxidil almost 2 weeks ago and my scalp feels pretty good. I've been washing it with Regenepure NT but I still have a few red pimples on my scalp.

Finasteride is doing it's work. I'm still shedding quite a bit but I also see my new hairs getting longer. Especially on my temple, which is weird because they haven't receded that far back tbh. I'm starting to wonder if finasteride can work good for some area's and a less for others. Does anybody know something about this?

If that's not the case I'll know for sure that the shedding is a good sign.