Finasteride An Emotional Rollercoaster

Vesemir

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
you dropped minoxidil recently ? maybe you got a slight shed because of this ?
you still have less sides with your current propecia dosage ?

I do. But I'm going to ask my dermatologist if I can go with 0,5mg a day. 0.25 when I wake up and 0.25 before I go to sleep.

Just stick with it, maybe add dutasteride once a week. You can do this bro !

Thanks man!

Y2J

Reaction score
Hi,

Sorry to hear about your hair going downhill mate.

I am on a similar situation myself. Its exactly been 13 months since i started popping finasteride. Its been a rollercoaster ride. During the last 13 months. I shed heavily to around 7 months (non consecutive) and did not shed any for 6 months. Starting January my shed started to slow down and It completely stopped starting February to April 2017. However, the sad part is it has come back as if with a vengeance and I am losing hair like anything.

The worst part is I feel I am well below the baseline.

Dirty_Harry

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi,

I am on a similar situation myself. Its exactly been 13 months since i started popping finasteride. Its been a rollercoaster ride. During the last 13 months. I shed heavily to around 7 months (non consecutive) and did not shed any for 6 months. Starting January my shed started to slow down and It completely stopped starting February to April 2017. However, the sad part is it has come back as if with a vengeance and I am losing hair like anything.

Are you shedding/thinning from the sides or other "safe zones" as well?

Grasshüpfer

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I take a new photo, freak out, then check back and see I had the same status in December. I'm adding minoxidil now. The comparable photos look kinda the same, but I'm much better at knowing the horrible angles lol.

Vesemir

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm sorry to hear that brother. How's your scalp is it itching?
Have you seen any change in your body hair?

I take a new photo, freak out, then check back and see I had the same status in December. I'm adding minoxidil now. The comparable photos look kinda the same, but I'm much better at knowing the horrible angles lol.

So freaking scary. Some days I just can't deal with it, very depressing. Tomorrow is my appointment with my dermatologist, I hope he has something useful to say about this situation but I doubt it.

Y2J

Reaction score

So freaking scary. Some days I just can't deal with it, very depressing. Tomorrow is my appointment with my dermatologist, I hope he has something useful to say about this situation but I doubt it.

No noticable change in body hair. My scalp doesnt itch. Do update us about the appointment with the derm.

Vesemir

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
No noticable change in body hair. My scalp doesnt itch. Do update us about the appointment with the derm.

I went to see my derm today and he prescribed me proscar (1mg finasteride) instead of the 5mg pill I took before. The reason behind it is that he wants me to take an exact amount finasteride everyday. The problem with 5mg was cutting it in 4 pieces, it will never be 4 equal pieces. Taking inconsistent dosages isn't desirable.

He also prescribed me a lotion which contains a small amount of hormones. I forgot the name, but I will be picking it up tomorrow at the pharmacy. I'm supposed to use it everyday for a couple weeks and then reduce to 2/3 times a week.

BaldingGuy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Hi, is it a bad sign if your scalp still itches ? I've been on 1mg fina + minoxidil for about two and a half months now and my scalp still itches... I don't think it itches as much but still does, specially at night..

Vesemir

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi, is it a bad sign if your scalp still itches ? I've been on 1mg fina + minoxidil for about two and a half months now and my scalp still itches... I don't think it itches as much but still does, specially at night..

For me it's definitely a sign. I have periods when my scalp is very itchy and it goes hand in hand with more hair loss.

Update

The lotion my derm prescribed me is desoximetason. I'm gonna try it for a while, I will post updates about it here. @Grasshüpfer @FutureSaitama @Y2J

Y2J

Reaction score
I went to see my derm today and he prescribed me proscar (1mg finasteride) instead of the 5mg pill I took before. The reason behind it is that he wants me to take an exact amount finasteride everyday. The problem with 5mg was cutting it in 4 pieces, it will never be 4 equal pieces. Taking inconsistent dosages isn't desirable.

He also prescribed me a lotion which contains a small amount of hormones. I forgot the name, but I will be picking it up tomorrow at the pharmacy. I'm supposed to use it everyday for a couple weeks and then reduce to 2/3 times a week.

Wish you all the luck. I hope the hairs you shed grow out stronger and healthier.

Keep us posted.

FutureSaitama

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
For me it's definitely a sign. I have periods when my scalp is very itchy and it goes hand in hand with more hair loss.

Update

The lotion my derm prescribed me is desoximetason. I'm gonna try it for a while, I will post updates about it here. @Grasshüpfer @FutureSaitama @Y2J
How often did he tell you to use the cream ? Desoximetason is a corticosteroid and it's usually not recommended to use it very often and for long periods of time.

Grasshüpfer

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Corticosteroids are what probably makes Alpicort work. Cool Doctor.

Wish you the best of luck vesemir!

@BaldingGuy after three months you can still have an itch. Stopping hairloss is like stopping a freight train. I doesn't look like braking does anything, but eventually it will stop.
I still have occasional itching after seven months, but I slowly start to see the whole story more relaxed as my status looks roughly similar to last summer.

Except of the days where I totally freak out of course. :eek:;)

Last edited:

FutureSaitama

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

@BaldingGuy after three months you can still have an itch. Stopping hairloss is like stopping a freight train. I doesn't look like braking does anything, but eventually it will stop.
I still have occasional itching after seven months, but I slowly start to see the whole story more relaxed as my status looks roughly similar to last summer.

I think the estrogen is beneficial for hair too and ofc for b**ch tits.

BaldingGuy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Update

Thanks for the reply.. I agree, those two seem to go hand in hand.. And now that i think about it, I started noticing that i was losing more hair at the same time my head started to itch, but i thought it was the shampoo bc my "safe zones" also itched .. Another thing is that since i started the treatment i'm losing a lot more hair but the itching part is the same or a bit better.. Also, my derm told me that minoxidil could cause itching so i don't know if it's that.. Anyway, hope it starts going uphill from here on bro!

As for me, i feel like minoxidil was a big mistake. It's running through my hair like a wildfire.. I should've just took fina for 6-12 months and then decide if i would hop on minoxidil... I started shedding in the beginning of the second week, and it's going on for two months straight without any signs of slowing down.. Depressing! I don't know if i should keep it going a bit longer or throw the towel on it.. I've lost a lot of density and i'm feeling really really low nowadays...

BaldingGuy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Nice analogy :D I know you're right and that's a good train of thought :D but its really hard not go nuts when I see that my hair is well bellow baseline and getting thinner because i'm losing a lot more hair every single day for 72 straight days (except the first week) .. I used to have so much hair that it never crossed my mind going bald... Damn! And the worst part is that i just know i will look awful bald because of my big head... that's my luck :(

Vesemir

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It's so tiring and depressing. Everyday I'm reflecting on the things I do that could affect my hair loss;

- Diet. I eat pretty clean and I'm fit. Sometimes I party hard, but mostly only once a month. The last few years I tried multiple vitamines/supplements (Zinc, Magnesium, Omega3/6/9, All B vitamins, Vitamin D), without any results. Nothing has helped.... (I don't have a deficiency either)

- Working Out. I exercise quite a bit and I change my workouts from time to time. I can't decide if it can accelerate hair loss. It probably doesn't....

- Resting. I probably get 8+ hours of sleep 320 days a year, so that's not the problem either.

- Stress. I'm a pretty stressful and anxious person and hair loss is probably the main reason. If there isn't any distraction (Work/Sports/Hobbies) I can get pretty paranoid. Is this having an effect? Again, I don't know... It's not like I can't function anymore so yea....

- Drugs. Overall finasteride hasn't helped me, not even a bit. I tried Minoxidil multiple times, I feel like it doesn't help nor hurt. Recently I bought Nizoral, it gets rid of the terrible itching I have a lot of the time, but it dries my scalp out pretty bad.

At the moment I'm still heading in the wrong direction. Still shedding hair, not regrowing any. As you can tell by the pictures my hairline is getting totally destroyed and at my vertex a bald spot is forming.

IMG_0810.jpg

IMG_0814.jpg

Y2J

Reaction score
It's so tiring and depressing. Everyday I'm reflecting on the things I do that could affect my hair loss;

- Diet. I eat pretty clean and I'm fit. Sometimes I party hard, but mostly only once a month. The last few years I tried multiple vitamines/supplements (Zinc, Magnesium, Omega3/6/9, All B vitamins, Vitamin D), without any results. Nothing has helped.... (I don't have a deficiency either)

- Working Out. I exercise quite a bit and I change my workouts from time to time. I can't decide if it can accelerate hair loss. It probably doesn't....

- Resting. I probably get 8+ hours of sleep 320 days a year, so that's not the problem either.

- Stress. I'm a pretty stressful and anxious person and hair loss is probably the main reason. If there isn't any distraction (Work/Sports/Hobbies) I can get pretty paranoid. Is this having an effect? Again, I don't know... It's not like I can't function anymore so yea....

- Drugs. Overall finasteride hasn't helped me, not even a bit. I tried Minoxidil multiple times, I feel like it doesn't help nor hurt. Recently I bought Nizoral, it gets rid of the terrible itching I have a lot of the time, but it dries my scalp out pretty bad.

At the moment I'm still heading in the wrong direction. Still shedding hair, not regrowing any. As you can tell by the pictures my hairline is getting totally destroyed and at my vertex a bald spot is forming.

View attachment 54974

View attachment 54975

Hi Mate,

Sorry to hear that. I am also heading downwards.

As far as your case is concerned finasteride did seem to help you initially. Your hair loss was pretty much at halt and you were also regrowing.

Since when did shedding resume?

Vesemir

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi Mate,

Sorry to hear that. I am also heading downwards.

As far as your case is concerned finasteride did seem to help you initially. Your hair loss was pretty much at halt and you were also regrowing.

Since when did shedding resume?

Honestly, I don't know. After my last update the itch went away almost completely! It feels good, hopefully it will have some positive results. Haven't noticed a change in the amount of hairs lost really.