Fantasy Football (soccer for the Americans)

Cassin

Reaction score
optimus prime said:
That's one hell of a strike force cassin. Will you play 3-4-3?

plan on it!

I don't get the football coverage here as you can imagine so strikers stick out more in my mind since I see their replays more.

By the way...glad you mentioned that..I wasn't sure about formations. I was wondering if it was going to be the more common 4-4-2 or not.

ali777

Reaction score
I'm very excited today :punk:

I'm not sure if I should go to a pub at 12.45 for the first game or listen to it on 5 live. I have a visitor today (yes, I have a few real friends), so a lunch in the pub might be in order.

Either way, 10.30pm is MOTD time.

PS: I watch far too much football for someone that doesn't support any team :innocent:

optimus prime

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I'm currently in Asia until mid September so I can't listen to the football. But MOTD is at 10:30, 5:30 am here, so I will go to a proxy site and watch it on the BBC website.

I think the team deadline is in an hour. Good luck boys and girls.

Hans Gruber

Reaction score
# Team Manager GW Total
1 The Uber Snipers Optimus Prime 57 57
2 Norfolk Enchants Ali 777 54 54
3 Leones Roderigo G. 51 51
4 Damn Yankees Easy Ed 41 41
5 Shakermaker FC Hans Gruber 40 40
6 Winchmore Galacticos Dimitar Berbagod 35 35
7 Norwood Rangers Lucky UK 32 32
8 Cowboys Cassin E 25 25
9 Heaton Rangers Sean68 22 22

Hans Gruber

Reaction score
Cassin said:

lol

why doesnt it appear table like? i put in all the spaces too

only the first week eh cassin! plenty of time to make up points :)

Cassin

Reaction score
I forgot to set up my formation and my starters. Damn I had Rooney starting...ugh.

Yeah I won't worry until October. I'll just sit tight and see how the season plays out.

ali777

Reaction score
Yeah, it's early days....

I knew a few of my players were missing, I thought of making changes and then using the 1 transfer per week rule to bring them back in again, but I didn't want to spend too much time thinking about the team and stuff.....

I don't want to take it too seriously, it's about having fun...

optimus prime

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Cassin said:
I forgot to set up my formation and my starters. Damn I had Rooney starting...ugh.

Yeah I won't worry until October. I'll just sit tight and see how the season plays out.

Yea, you only had one up front. I would drop 2 defenders and replace them with Tevez and Rooney. The two defenders who play for the worst teams, because they will concede the most goals. Just my advice.

ali777 said:
Yeah, it's early days....

I knew a few of my players were missing, I thought of making changes and then using the 1 transfer per week rule to bring them back in again, but I didn't want to spend too much time thinking about the team and stuff.....

I don't want to take it too seriously, it's about having fun...

Yea I agree.

optimus prime

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I had the same problem. It took me a while to understand.

Select the ‘data view’ instead of ‘graphic view’. It’s easier to change players around that way.

If you want 3 forwards, then you need to drop players you don’t want. So for example, if you want to play 3-4-3 and your current formation is 5-4-1 you should drop 2 defenders and replace them with two forwards.

When you go back to the ‘graphic view’ of your team, the computer will automatically change the formation.

So let’s say, next week your formation is 3-4-3, but Rooney is injured. You decide you want to drop him and you put in a midfielder. Your formation will change to 3-5-2.

Looking at your team you have a strong midfield and attack and ok defence. So I would go with 3-4-3 or 2-5-3. For me, my attack is ok, midfield ok but strong defence. That’s why I went 4-3-3 or maybe I will change to 5-3-2 in the future.

A few tips,

When picking a defender you want to pick them for a team that doesn’t concede many goals. When they concede they lose you points. So as the season goes along, and let’s say you have a defender for West Brom in your side, and they are bottom of the league and they are conceding lots of goals, most likely he isn’t scoring you points. What I would do is either sell him or bench him.

When it comes to defenders you want to pick them from teams who are in the top half. Obviously the top 4 teams, but they are expensive. Aston Villa, Portsmouth, Everton maybe Spurs and Newcastle, these teams should be ok also and ok price. Obviously if a defender is scoring and is playing for a team low down he is worth keeping.

Now with the bench, I went for a weak bench and strong first team, that’s why I had a good start. The players on my bench are crap. With injuries my team will be weak, however I may be lucky and not get injuries and score high all season, then again it could fail badly.

So your start might be slow, but as the season goes on and injuries kick in, you can bring your players on from the bench and score well. Your bench is good.

If you notice that after a few weeks your players aren’t playing often, sell them or bench them also. For me, Ireland and Smith didn’t play, so if they don’t play in the next couple of matches or so, I will consider selling them.

Hope I’m not stating the obvious, just wanted to give you a few tips because it’s your first season playing fantasy football EPL.

ali777

Reaction score
Cassin said:
Could someone give me a quick brief run down how to set my roster and formation?

Go for 4-4-2. It's the easiest and most widely used formation. You'll see a yellow arrow next to your players, you can click on that to drop him to the bench. The bench players have a green arrow next to them, you can click it to bring the player on. Is that what you are asking?

Fantasy football is about maximising your points, you have to understand how to make the most of your funds. For example, a defender that plays 90 mins in a team that doesn't concede a goal will earn you 6 points. So, ideally you'll want defenders from Chelsea, Liverpool, Man United, or maybe Villa. The same for the goalkeepers.

You have defenders from teams like Bolton, Newcastle, West Brom, etc. Those guys will leak goals every week and not score highly. I'd get rid off of all them. If you ask me, you are wasting your money on them.

For a midfielder you want someone that will play 90 mins for a winning team and occasionally score goals. Ronaldo is the perfect candidate but a bit expensive. Lampard, Gerrard, Fabregas, etc are the best players to put here. I'd say Bentley, Petrov and Downing are good signings and over a season they will bring you decent amount of points. However, I wouldn't pick a Fulham player in my midfield. Fulham do not score many goals and concede heavily, so the chances of your Fulham players bringing you points is low.

For a striker, you want someone that will score. Forwards don't have to be from a winning team. Goalkeeper, defenders and midfielders lose points for goals conceded but forwards don't. So someone like Martins, Viduka, Yakubu, Johnson, Ashton, etc are not bad signings. Those guys are likely to get around 20 goals a season.

optimus prime

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I know its early to be considering transfers, but I am not so confident with Richards. Man City don't look too good so far.

I really want Bosingwa in my defence but I have too many chelsea players. The guy was fantastic yesterday and he plays almost like a midfielder. He is my tip. Then again, I wrong quite a lot.

I dropped Ashton on Friday before the game...the guy scored twice. :thumbdown2:

ali777

Reaction score
You can play 1 transfer wild card a season. All transfers made in the Gameweek your wild card is played will be without points deduction. You play your wild card when confirming transfers.

If you want to make too many changes, you could use your wild card???

Cassin

Reaction score
ali777 said:
You can play 1 transfer wild card a season. All transfers made in the Gameweek your wild card is played will be without points deduction. You play your wild card when confirming transfers.

If you want to make too many changes, you could use your wild card???

If so, that solves my problem.

Sean68

Reaction score
'its a marathon not a sprint' - 37 games to go.i made a bit of a mistake not putting david wheater in as he scored on saturday and my spurs boys didnt do too well - i shouldve picked some chelsea players to put the kiss of the death on them too!